Wall Street Journal Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
So are you saying that Acura should be aiming for the demographic that used to buy the Cadillacs and Buicks of yesterday?
You beat me to it. The strategy of pursuing retirees as your prospective buyers is proven to be disasterous.

Tiny portion of population is interested in a car that is slow, plushy, and devoid of soul. Also, older people tend to keep their cars for very long time. So once Acura does sell that RLX, it will be a few decades (if ever) before their customer returns.

You have to look back and see what made Acura a great brand. Integra, Legend, and later TL were all sporty cars that offered a great value to the customer. Integras got people in the showrooms, they were fun and still hold a huge niche among the tuner crowd. When Integra and Legend were being produced they were at the forefront of the performance wars. 1.8 liter GSR was making 170HP and was a superb handler, and this was 20 years ago.

Right now Acura is not producing anything that is even remotely exciting. ILX is a joke, no other word for it. Acura SUVs, are meh. Until NSX gets here, the most exciting car that Acura currently makes is the 6 speed TL SHAWD. And TL is still missing an extra 100-150 HP to make it trully a "WOW, that is amazing" car.

Today's Integra is built by Toyota, it is called FRS. Today's Legend is being built by Nissan, it is called G37.
The following users liked this post:
RDXinNETX (04-10-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
There was another article that reported that five years ago when the ATS was being discussed, it was planned to be a FWD model based on the Chevrolet Cruze platform (sound familiar?). They even built a mule and tested it in Europe..

Do you think the ATS would be getting the same love if it was basically a warmed over and luxo'd up Chevy Cruze?
As much love as Jaguar did with the X-Type based on the Ford Mondeo when they tried to take on the 3 series.

At least Infiniti gave it a more reasonable try with the G37.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AZsilverTl
Right now Acura is not producing anything that is even remotely exciting. ILX is a joke, no other word for it. Acura SUVs, are meh. Until NSX gets here, the most exciting car that Acura currently makes is the 6 speed TL SHAWD. And TL is still missing an extra 100-150 HP to make it trully a "WOW, that is amazing" car.

Today's Integra is built by Toyota, it is called FRS. Today's Legend is being built by Nissan, it is called G37.
While I think they could have done so much more with the RLX, this may be a bit harsh. Many excitement seekers would agree that the old RDX was a better drivers care and more exciting, yet no one bought. The new boring RDX is a sales success. My first reaction at the new MDX was WTF and yawn, but you know what, I bet it will a home run or at least a solid double.

They need to balance what the masses want to sell enough volume. In the sport luxury segment, I think they are off the mark on what the masses want as it it more excitement and refinement and less practical

The FRS and BRZ are killer cars in their class. Amazing Toyota made it!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by noobie
Many excitement seekers would agree that the old RDX was a better drivers care and more exciting, yet no one bought.
The problem with the RDX was trying to produce a driver's car for a segment of the market that cares more about room, comfort, and ease of use/maintenance. They should have worked out a way to place the RDX drive train into a proper car body instead of trying to launch it with an SUV.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by dwest1023
Well, I saw it and drove it, and I felt the exact same way. It seems like the RLX was design for the old Buick crowd. There is just no flare in the design in the design of the RLX. No body Kit or optional wheels. Not even a wood grain steering wheel. I suspect that Acura will have to heavily discount the RLX like the 2 gen RL to sale this car. There is no way, I would be the first to buy this car. I got 10K off my 2006 when they Acura could not sell it.
In 2004 I bought the last of the 7 2004 RL's at COST....$36,000.00 out the door. Dealership made NO dough as they were mandated to REMOVE all remaining 2004 RL's on the lot to make room for the all new 2005's....I traded my 2001 CL Type S (they gave me 14K) put down 8K cash and financed the remaining balance and paid if off in less than 6 months...I have her today with 25,000 cherry California miles and folks still thinks she brand spanking new....I would swear they brought back that body style with all the modern features, bells and whistles....I still like the sleek LEGEND look of her......
And yes it was intended for OLD Men and Ladies......The yuppies didn't buy the 2005+++ RL that looked like an Accord on Steroids!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
The problem with the RDX was trying to produce a driver's car for a segment of the market that cares more about room, comfort, and ease of use/maintenance. They should have worked out a way to place the RDX drive train into a proper car body instead of trying to launch it with an SUV.
The 1G RDX's engine should have gone in the TSX IMHO. But that's just me.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
The 1G RDX's engine should have gone in the TSX IMHO. But that's just me.
Agreed. Never understood why they never did it. The ridiculous argument they were using about the intercooler never made sense to me since they could have just as easily run a front-mount instead of top mount.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
The RDX was launched before its time, trying to create a new segment. One occupied now by X1, Q3, EX and to a lesser extent Mercedes GLK.

I think the market viewed it as an upscale Honda CRV or Rav4, which clearly it was not. The new one fits the role very well.

In a way I give Acura props for pushing the envelope, but building a misunderstood vehicle, or should I say not marketing it properly.

Then again, not sure BMW X1 buyers would have seriously considered the RDX, just like 5 series may not seriously consider the RLX.
The following users liked this post:
GoHawks (04-10-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Acura is a mess. The MDX and revised RDX are the only thing decent in its line up. The RLX is a $50k FWD sedan tha is dead on arrival. It's bland looking and has nothing to offer that the competition doesn't already have. The Germans will eat its lunch. Caddy will sell more.

Japanese brands are just lurching from one thing to the next. The new GS is plain ugly. The Infniti is odd looking and the RLX is a FWD car! What a mess.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Fortunately, luxury SUVs are quite profitable, especially with platform sharing. Also, Americans seem to prefer SUVs. Finally, Lexus must not be failing too much, if they are maintaining their #3 position in the USA.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
Fortunately, luxury SUVs are quite profitable, especially with platform sharing. Also, Americans seem to prefer SUVs. Finally, Lexus must not be failing too much, if they are maintaining their #3 position in the USA.
I believe that Porsche sells more SUV than cars. This should tell you about US buying habits and what 'really sells'. We need to face facts that those of us who like coupes, small sedans and manuals are a dying breed. Oh, we can whine endlessly but if someone like Porsche sells more SUVs and hatchback Panameras the writing is on the wall.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
A Nod of Agreement

Colin is spot on here as IIRC correctly Porsche sold 15K of Cayennes in 2012, which was close to 2 or 3X more than their next model. jhr3uva90 also nailed it as SUV's are over the top margin wise.

Last edited by RDXinNETX; 04-11-2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: memory correction
Old 04-12-2013, 12:51 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB00
Acura is a mess. The MDX and revised RDX are the only thing decent in its line up. The RLX is a $50k FWD sedan tha is dead on arrival. It's bland looking and has nothing to offer that the competition doesn't already have. The Germans will eat its lunch. Caddy will sell more.

Japanese brands are just lurching from one thing to the next. The new GS is plain ugly. The Infniti is odd looking and the RLX is a FWD car! What a mess.
Well your post seems to be pretty subjective....I find the GS and the new Infiniti Q50 pretty good looking........also sat in a RLX and felt that its interior was very nice for the price and ample room. The XTS is similar to the RLX - no V8, no RWD, priced similarly - and that thing is selling 3000 copies a month.