AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RLX (2013+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/)
-   -   Used RLX Hybrids (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/used-rlx-hybrids-978817/)

08Acura13 04-17-2019 01:45 AM

Used RLX Hybrids

Beginning to see some great bargins on used RLX Hybrids, low miles and everything. My concern is how well does the dual system age? Are there problems with batteries that will need replacing down the road?

andysinnh 04-17-2019 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by 08Acura13 (Post 16412463)
Beginning to see some great bargins on used RLX Hybrids, low miles and everything. My concern is how well does the dual system age? Are there problems with batteries that will need replacing down the road?

We just purchased an '18 RLX SH-AWD Advanced as a CPO with only 1300 miles on it. It came with a full CPO warranty plus the remainder of the factory warranty, and we STILL purchased an ad-on warranty that would cover more than the extended CPO powertrain warranty. Why? Nobody has 7-10 year experience with the 3-motor hybrid system in these vehicles, and since we spent a fair chunk of cash on the vehicle, we wanted to be sure we didn't get caught down the road with an expense for a repair that was unpredictable. We love the car, and decided to make sure we didn't have to worry about the "what if?" question down the road. That'd be my advice....

andy

08Acura13 04-17-2019 07:40 AM

IF I pull the trigger...I'll will be adding an extended warranty! Thanks!

justnspace 04-17-2019 08:23 AM

it's CERTAINLY too early to tell about how the batteries will fare down the road.

RLX-Sport Hybrid 04-17-2019 09:22 AM

Mine has 85,000 miles on it, and the hybrid drive experience is the same now as the day I bought it. Awesome! Maintenance has been minimal other than the usual stuff for any car.

AP8ESQ 04-17-2019 06:19 PM

Listen to this guy ^^^^^^ I have about 45k on my 2014 and no maintenance other than A and B services per the maintenance minder. I think at this point hybrid batteries/ longevity are a pretty known commodity since Prius came out a while ago.

George Knighton 04-18-2019 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid (Post 16412532)
Mine has 85,000 miles on it, and the hybrid drive experience is the same now as the day I bought it. Awesome! Maintenance has been minimal other than the usual stuff for any car.

About the same mileage, about the same experience that you've had. :-)

Only odd problem was not being able to diagnose at a distance that the only thing wrong was a bad 12-volt battery, nothing to do with the 250-volt Sport Hybrid system.

Limelight 04-18-2019 10:07 AM

I have roughly 35,000 miles on my 2015 SH and knock on wood, it's been a very reliable car - with nothing outside of routine maintenance, which was fully covered under the complimentary no charge maintenance program.

RLX-Sport Hybrid 04-18-2019 02:04 PM

12v battery, wiper blades, and tires. I got new front brakes recently but they were not worn out (pads), but the front rotors were warped. Could have lived with it, but chose not to. To be honest with about 75,000 miles on the car to have nearly new pads on the vehicle at that time is a testament to the longevity and efficiency of the hybrid battery system. Rear rotors and pads are original and are looking very good at this point. It would be unreasonable to expect anything more from a car regarding reliability and overall wear. It still drives and looks like new. You would never guess the mileage on it if you saw it.

hondamore 04-18-2019 05:47 PM

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the lithium ion hybrid battery and associated systems are covered by an 8 year warranty which should provide some peace of mind. Also, Acura has an exchange program for the lithium ion hybrid battery whereby you can trade your old unit for a reconditioned one (new lithium ion cells) for a fee that I believe is around $1,500. If I recall, the program is listed in the TSB thread. So, if and when the battery does require replacement, a cost of $1500 isn't a crazy amount considering what a timing belt change can cost these days and considering that the new refurbished battery will be good for at least another 8 - 10 years,
Just my two cents

hondamore 04-18-2019 05:52 PM

I checked the thread and the TSB for the battery exchange program is TSB 12-012.

DanL07RL 04-19-2019 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by andysinnh (Post 16412500)
We just purchased an '18 RLX SH-AWD Advanced as a CPO with only 1300 miles on it. It came with a full CPO warranty plus the remainder of the factory warranty, and we STILL purchased an ad-on warranty that would cover more than the extended CPO powertrain warranty. Why? Nobody has 7-10 year experience with the 3-motor hybrid system in these vehicles, and since we spent a fair chunk of cash on the vehicle, we wanted to be sure we didn't get caught down the road with an expense for a repair that was unpredictable. We love the car, and decided to make sure we didn't have to worry about the "what if?" question down the road. That'd be my advice....

andy

When I picked mine up they offered me a 10 year, 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty for just south of $3000. I typically don't do extended warranties....and debated with them and declined.....until they dropped $1500 off the price. No-brainer IMHO!!

I keep cars for more than 10 years typically, so I jumped on the deal!!

hondamore 04-19-2019 09:37 AM

Sorry, posting error.

K.Rock 04-20-2019 10:48 AM

Add Acura Care

If you buy new or used and you are within factory warranty, you can add Acura Care anytime.
https://www.curryacuracare.com/

CPO is different.

snoozabelle 04-23-2019 12:27 AM

Wish that extended warranty was offered to me (2014 with 30,000 miles) bought at a Honda dealer so not CPO. Just for peace of mind!