AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RLX (2013+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/)
-   -   Timing belt change / transmission lifespan (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/timing-belt-change-transmission-lifespan-975621/)

krava 12-13-2018 04:15 PM

Timing belt change / transmission lifespan

I have a 2014 RLX advanced I bought it in May or so 2015 with 6K miles. I have 97,879 miles on it now. i don't have much stop and go traffic at all. I have a few questions. #1 can the timing belt wait until 105,000 or needs to be done at 100,000? I understand that if I had it for like 5 years or so then 100,000 for sure, but with all this highway driving, can't it wait a little longer? Also I know someone that has a van and his transmission gave out at under 100K miles (something about coolant leaking), how long do you think I can use the transmission for driving the way I do? Also what maintence should I be doing on it? I have gotten the transmission flushed changed like twice so far. Also would it be better to buy all the parts (acura from ebay for the timeing belt change) or just let honda do it? Money isn't good right now. April 2018 the next door neighboors tree landed on our house in a twister and we weren't insured and they were and they still didn't have to pay. The house is a total loss and I was forced to come up with the money to get another one. Business has decreased 80% since March so I am trying to save where I can.

in other news, the car needs detailing really bad. Any ideas what a fair price is to pay to get someone to do it? or I could drive 200 miles to Dallas and anyone good there? I just don't think $150 for someone to do 3 hours of work to it is worth it. This car has never been truly detailed since I got it and I haven't paid anyone to clean it, I just have. But I haven't been taking too good of care of the outside. I do have that $1000 resistall thing done to it though.

neuronbob 12-13-2018 09:08 PM

Service intervals are in your owner's manual. In addition, this link shows all the service intervals: LINK

The timing belt interval for the PAWS RLX is 7 years or 105,000 miles, so you can wait on the timing belt/water pump given you are at 97k miles.

Hopefully you've been at least doing oil changes on a regular basis.

Interval for transmission fluid is 20-40k miles. Since you do a lot of highway miles, 40k miles should be OK. Given you haven't done it yet, it's long past time.

You don't need to spend $150 for someone else to detail your car. You can buy a clay bar and wax at any local automotive store. You could spend a little more and buy a polymer coating such as Zaino, which will last 4-6 months.

Good luck!

krava 12-13-2018 09:39 PM

I have done 2 transmission services on it. I didn't know it was 105K miles thanks. I don't know how to use a claybar and all that but did buy that and alot of chemical guys things a few years ago. I have 2 boxes of this resist all stuff I haven't even used.. wouldn't that be better then that other wax stuff?

hues10 12-17-2018 09:05 AM

Though I think detailing the car is the least of your concerns, just watch some youtube videos on detailing a car. If you haven't maintained it since buying it, no need to worry about stripping off any old wax. Wash, then clay, then wash again. Clay is super easy. Then put on a sealant coat. Reapply two weeks to a month later. Done.

Bulldog2 12-17-2018 01:12 PM

I now have 26,000 on mine (2016 hybrid), and i just had the second transmission fluid service done. The first time, there was some jerkiness, so the service folks recommended it. This time, the jerkiness was really bad. The local dealer described it as feeling like i had a torque converter problem (it wasn't, since it doesn't have one).They worked with the national guys in California for a solution.The remedy was a 2 time super flush. Runs great now, but transmission fluid changes almost as frequently as oil changes can't be tolerated long term. They agree.