Thoughts about trading in my TL for the RLX

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Thoughts about trading in my TL for the RLX

Hey RL folks,

TL owner here, I stopped by the dealer last nightto check out the RLX. I bought the TL as a family car/daily driver, however,its being less desired over time. The newer refined TL's look great but it’spractically the same car. I've never really looked into RL's or RLX's but thenew one looks top notch, redesigned; being the flagship and largest model Ithink it would suit our needs as a family. What do you guys like about the newRLX, what don't you like? Anyone actually looking to purchase one or in thesame situation as myself?

Now I have not driven the car yet, so I will notgive any reviews based off the RLX or compare it to any brand or model. Butwhen I first drove my TL, the performance surprised me for how comfortable thecar was. Handling was superb once I lowered the car and the exhaust woke theengine up. I’m assuming the RLX will be everything I described but morerefined, plush, and luxurious “in a sense”. I felt that when I sat in the car,Tech package is quite nice and always useful as hands frees and road focused. Note,I have not done anything out of the ordinary to my TL, I’m thinking to make themove because my trade in value is still pretty darn good.

Thanks ahead, the car will be purchasable on the15th of March so I still have a bit of time to decide.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Danyoung....That is a great looking RLX. All that knows me will tell you about my love for the white vehicles! I think the TL is an amazing ride but I feel the RLX will offer more luxury, more plush and not as harsh. That being said, the RLX will not be a vehicle that you can do a drop and customize too much...its an elegant car, don;t ruin it by making it tacky

I have been waiting to see the RLX in the flesh and although I could afford one, my gut feeling tells me that it will be too bland for my liking and will end up waiting for the TLX slated to be released in the spring of 2014. I could be wrong and may fall in love with the RLX, the more I see it, the more I love it
The following users liked this post:
Danyoung (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I think the RLX looks much better in person than on the Internet. I don't know if I would take on the risk of buying the first RLXs though.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
I love the tech and way the new TLX looks, plus the better MPG over my 09 TL wouldn't hurt either. That being said I don't know if being 26 I'd want it as my DD. It being more luxury than sport would most likely bore me quickly.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I have owned a bunch of TL's and test drove the RLX for about 45 min, you will see my thread to get my view. The RLX to some extent is a different class of vehicle, it is very spacious in side and while it has a very compliant ride I found it on the soft side of typical Honda/Acura ride. It is funny to see what all the makers are doing lately, BMW is softening their rides on the 5 and 7 series, Lexus is firming their ride up on the LS and GS even to offer the F Sport models now. Acura seems to be doing some of the same, the RDX has gotten softer (and honestly it need a tad softening) and I suspect the next TL the AWD version will not be as firm as the current one. That said you really need to drive it. My M37 is a large car and I actually felt the interior width of the RLX a bit to wide for me that I can not rest my left arm on the door top while driving unless I bring the seat uncomfortably closer to the dash. The ride is nice but not as refined as I would expect.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
Danyoung....That is a great looking RLX. All that knows me will tell you about my love for the white vehicles! I think the TL is an amazing ride but I feel the RLX will offer more luxury, more plush and not as harsh. That being said, the RLX will not be a vehicle that you can do a drop and customize too much...its an elegant car, don;t ruin it by making it tacky

I have been waiting to see the RLX in the flesh and although I could afford one, my gut feeling tells me that it will be too bland for my liking and will end up waiting for the TLX slated to be released in the spring of 2014. I could be wrong and may fall in love with the RLX, the more I see it, the more I love it
I agree, I've been wanting a white car and some darker accents, without going overboard. The interior of the car and the front end really got me sold, however, need some warming up to the side profile especially the front fenders. It's a funny you say that because I did speak to the manager about the new TLX. I'm debating whether to wait on it, he said the TLX will be similar to the Concept C by Honda. It will be 6 inches short in length and about 4'' shorter on wheelbase and will be a hybrid of the 3rd and 4th Gen TL, minus the Concept's grill and tail lights.

I would like to get some drive time this weekend with the RLX and base my decision off that.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
I love the tech and way the new TLX looks, plus the better MPG over my 09 TL wouldn't hurt either. That being said I don't know if being 26 I'd want it as my DD. It being more luxury than sport would most likely bore me quickly.
Wait what?! Where are pictures lol I have not searched for the TLX yet...but if I like them, I might hold off on the RLX until there is some more information I can base my decision off.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ I think he meant the RLX
Old 02-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Drifting

Yes I did, sorry for the typo~
Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Instructor

^ It's all good my blood pressure is now back to normal. If the new TLX is similar to the Honda C I might wait and take a look at it. Hopefully by 3rd quarter there is more news. If Acura sprinkles the TLX with some NSX flavor...it'll win me over.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Danyoung
^ It's all good my blood pressure is now back to normal. If the new TLX is similar to the Honda C I might wait and take a look at it. Hopefully by 3rd quarter there is more news. If Acura sprinkles the TLX with some NSX flavor...it'll win me over.
Well there is a large "waiting for the TLX" club here, including me. Unfortunaltey it looks like we have a long wait til 2014. But knowing it will be base on the new Accord platform an looking at the Touring model as a point of departure, I think Acura woud have to work hard to screw it up. Add some o he tech from the RLX in a smaller more affordable package and they coul have a very nice car. But Acura needs to keep the costs under control, that has been their selling advantage. If they lose that then other options egin to compete and look better than the Acura.

If you like the RLX and want to buy it then go for it. It is a very nice car. Personally I'd wait to see where the price settles and if there are any early problems.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
If I read that sticker completely, even at $55k it does not have ventilated seats. Apparently you have to spend $60k to get them. That means I now own my last Acura unless something changes for the better (I'm not all that happy with our TL Advance). For low $50s I can get a rear drive (preferred) Lexus GS350 with ventilated seats. BTW, I mean list price - before negotiating.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:02 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Dan, if you think $55K is justifiable for the FWD RLX, by all means go for it.

There is nothing more priceless than buying the car one loves most.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:15 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I have not seen the RLX in the flesh, but plan to in the next couple of weeks (my dealer has one and has already contacted me). However, I anticipate that although I may like it for its tech and creature comforts, I will probably pass on owning one (the thought of what the price of a loaded up one would be is scary). For those that may remember, I joined the TL club via a trade in of my 2006 RL A-SPEC

for my 2012 TL

wanting a sportier more "fun to drive" car. I thoroughly loved and enjoyed the RL (it's tech and creature comforts) with the A-SPEC parts, but the TL provided the driving edge that I was looking for. I am definitely on that line waiting for the TLX and hoping that it is the car we are all hoping for.

Last edited by Treblig; 03-02-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Treblig...After seeing the side view of your former RL, do you also feel as if the new RLX looks longer and bigger? Love your current TL ... I can tell you seem to like your white vehicles as well I could not agree with you more...I am so eager to see the new TLX.

I hope Acura will not mess this one up but I am preparing for the worse, not sure why but I feel we'll be underwhelmed.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Weather, having only the pictures of the RLX to rely on, it just looks to be so much bigger. My comment to my Acura salesman is the it is more car than I need/want. It looks like it is as big as the BMW 7 or MB S Class. I am an empty nester and 90% of the time it's just me in the car. So something that large would be wasted on me. The TLX seems like it will be the perfect size for me. I am still going to look at RLX though.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:09 PM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

For those who rarely carry passengers, 2-door coupes are the best.

Too bad Acura is missing out big time in the coupe market.

Take a look at MB, it now has C coupe, E coupe, and multiple 2 seaters, as well as full-blown 4-door sedans in all possible RWD and AWD combinations.

Last edited by Edward'TLS; 03-02-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jjsC5
If I read that sticker completely, even at $55k it does not have ventilated seats. Apparently you have to spend $60k to get them. That means I now own my last Acura unless something changes for the better (I'm not all that happy with our TL Advance). For low $50s I can get a rear drive (preferred) Lexus GS350 with ventilated seats. BTW, I mean list price - before negotiating.

Why's that I thought your wife drives it and she loves(d) it?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
You're reading it correctly. I sat in a Tech package RLX today ($55k sticker) and it does not have ventilated seats. I've never had them, and it's only an issue 3 months out of the year in the Northeast, but I understand why it's important to many people. It's disappointing that Acura decided the way to copy BMW and MB was to have six different trim levels.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was at my dealer a week or so ago, and sat in a Black RLX Advance, and honestly after the anticipation, I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be seeing it in person. It didn't have the "wow, I have to own this" factor that I thought it would. Coming up the line, I've owned the RSX, TSX, then an 08 TL-S, and just from appearance and sitting in it, the RLX just didn't do it for me like when I first sat in the TL-S.

I plan to trade in my current car (08 3-series) in the fall, but like others have said, for the price of the Advance pkg(60k) for rain sensing wipers(which I have on my 5 year old entry level 328) and ventilated seats, i could get a new 5-series with more features that Acura doesn't even offer. Just seems like for a redesign, they would have added a lot more to the RLX. Although, I may wait to see what info leaks about what the TLX will have to offer before I jump the gun come the end of the year.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
We own a '12 TL Adv sh-awd and I sat in a RLX on Friday. The car is very nice, but for me the head room was not as much as the TL, in fact it was more like the TSX Wagon we also own. I am afraid the interior height of cars will be shrinking faster than I will be. The rest of the car was very nice, I like the new steering wheel controls, but I am not sold on the touch screen for controls. I like having buttons, they don't change.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Personally, I would not consider a FWD luxury car of any brand and it looks like the AWD version will be overpriced when it arrives. It's a pass.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ I am not trying to question your preference but just trying to understand....I hear this all the time that Luxury and "FWD with AWD augmentation" don't go together. I know you are not saying that "FWD with AWD" is not luxury, you are stating that FWD is not luxury but I still hear this all the time

I am not sure where this all began except maybe from the car reviewers always associating Luxury with BMW and Mercedes which had a RWD plateform.

To me, it seems like a chicken and the egg argument...Was the RWD the reason its a Luxury car or because BWM had a rear wheel drive and they were associated with luxury that by association, the RWD became synonmous with Luxury? To me, if a vehicle is well build, contains luxuty feature, handles really well, isn't that what a luxury car is all about? I am sure that many people associate Audi with Luxury and they are not RWD.

Darn, I drove a Luxury 1982 Chevette in 1986 and got rit of for peanuts... I was duped!

PS...And if the "FWD with AWD" is too expensive...isn't that the point of driving a luxury car? If this combo rides as well as a BMW, and cost the same as a BMW, and looks (to the buyer) as good as the BMW, then isn't the only reason for getting the BMW at that point just a "Brand appeal". Like wearing a "Tommy Hilfiger" shirt....

Last edited by weather; 03-06-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Danyoung
Hey RL folks,

TL owner here, I stopped by the dealer last nightto check out the RLX. I bought the TL as a family car/daily driver, however,its being less desired over time. The newer refined TL's look great but it’spractically the same car....

... the car will be purchasable on the15th of March so I still have a bit of time to decide.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Don't do it!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 PM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by weather
^^ I am not trying to question your preference but just trying to understand....I hear this all the time that Luxury and "FWD with AWD augmentation" don't go together. I know you are not saying that "FWD with AWD" is not luxury, you are stating that FWD is not luxury but I still hear this all the time

I am not sure where this all began except maybe from the car reviewers always associating Luxury with BMW and Mercedes which had a RWD plateform.

To me, it seems like a chicken and the egg argument...Was the RWD the reason its a Luxury car or because BWM had a rear wheel drive and they were associated with luxury that by association, the RWD became synonmous with Luxury? To me, if a vehicle is well build, contains luxuty feature, handles really well, isn't that what a luxury car is all about? I am sure that many people associate Audi with Luxury and they are not RWD.

Darn, I drove a Luxury 1982 Chevette in 1986 and got rit of for peanuts... I was duped!

PS...And if the "FWD with AWD" is too expensive...isn't that the point of driving a luxury car? If this combo rides as well as a BMW, and cost the same as a BMW, and looks (to the buyer) as good as the BMW, then isn't the only reason for getting the BMW at that point just a "Brand appeal". Like wearing a "Tommy Hilfiger" shirt....
The problem with FWD is that it can't handle too much hp without running into driveability problems. Honda is especially good in tuning FWD cars, and the current FWD hp limit is ~310hp. Above ~310hp, it has to resort to the FWD-biased AWD for the rescue.

However, there is no hp limit for RWD, since the rear wheels don't do steering. Luxury brands and luxury vehicles tend to have tons and tons of hp (massive hp and high performance are what set apart a luxury brand from a non-luxury brand). RWD can easily accommodate 310hp and beyond with flying colors.

A 310+hp RWD has many benefits over a 310+hp AWD, in the dry :

No AWD hardware = lighter curb weight = faster car
No AWD gearing loss = more usable hp
Drive only 2 wheels = cheaper in price and simpler in maintenance.

If bad weather traction is required, the RWD car can also paired with X-drive or 4matic, and still retains it's RWD characteristics with it's RWD-biased AWD system.

This is why the big hp luxury brands always want RWD for their top cars, and FWD for their entry-level tiny cars.

Audi is in the same boat as Acura, being handicapped by having only FWD chassis and FWD-biased AWD hardware. In North America, Audi is not quite in the same league as BMW and MB, and Audi vehicles are only selling at half the annual volume of either BMW and MB.

But if Audi were to have RWD chassis as well, I bet it would just do as well as BMW and MB too.

In addition, Rome wasn't built in a day ! It took 20+ years for Lexus to achieve what it is today. It had the right hardware (V8, RWD), the right styling (MB knock-off), and started off with the right foot 20 or so years ago with the debut of the LS400 flagship.

Back in 1989, the LS400 was sold with a BARGAIN starting price of $40K. People tried it, people liked it, people highly praised it. So the car and the Lexus brand gained fame, and went upscale gradually. The price tag also slowly (read SLOWLY) went up over the years, to become today's $72K starting price for a 2013 LS460.

One can't just bump up the price of an unproven new product (in this case the RLX whose predecessor (RL) wasn't even being received well) to the BMW level; and hope that, overnight, the RLX would become a recognized luxury sedan, and the Acura brand would become a recognized top-tier luxury brand.

No. It doesn't work this way. VW tried this trick back in 2002 with the $55K Phaeton and failed big time.

Last edited by Edward'TLS; 03-06-2013 at 08:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
2011TL (03-07-2013), GoHawks (03-07-2013), justnspace (03-07-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 PM
2G TLX-S

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...grab-lead.html

Originally Posted by Bloomberg

Audi Seeks to Pass Other German Brands in U.S.
By Chad Thomas & Alex Webb - Jan 5, 2012 3:05 PM PT

Audi will add models to feed U.S. passion for sedans and sport-utility vehicles and gain ground on market leaders Daimler AG (DAI) and Bayerische Motoren Werke AG. (BMW)

Audi will use the Detroit motor show next week to unveil a concept “Vail” version of the compact Q3 SUV for the U.S. market and plans to build a sedan version of the A3 hatchback after the newest model comes to market this year, Chief Executive Officer Rupert Stadler said in an interview.

U.S. growth is critical to efforts by Audi, the top seller in western Europe and China, to replace BMW (BMW) as the world’s largest luxury-car maker by 2015. The Volkswagen AG (VOW) brand took a step forward last year by delivering more cars worldwide than Daimler’s Mercedes-Benz for the first time. In the U.S., BMW and Mercedes sell more than twice as many cars as Audi (VOW3).

“The next pillar of the market that we have to conquer is the United States,” Stadler said in London yesterday. “We see opportunities in the SUV and sedan segments.” The Ingolstadt, Germany-based company also plans to bring back the A2 compact car, a model it discontinued several years ago, he said.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Instructor

I finally test drove the car and I have to say the "WOW" factor is not there. You get thumbs up from other Acura owners and eyes on the Jewel LEDS, but thats honestly about it. It's a comfortable, nimble ride with the Precision Drive. However, I apologize if I can't say much but if the RLX was a book, that's how long it would take you to read it.

I'm still debating whether I should take advantage of the trade in and go for the newer TL SH-AWD and ditch my FWD. Thanks for all the input and opinions, can I get an application for the TLX club please?