Thinking About Upgrading From a TL-S to a RLX Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 12:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Thinking About Upgrading From a TL-S to a RLX Hybrid

Sorry guys, for some reason I am having issues posting in this forum, and it won't allow me to edit the original post..

I currently own a 07 TL Type-S and am thinking about upgrading to a 2016 RLX Hybrid Advance.

Unfortunately, due to the rarity of the RLX Hybrid I haven't been able to find an opportunity to drive one of these technological machines. As a result, I've been forced to read many reviews by car journalist about their driving impressions, which tends to vary.

According to the 0-60 specifications it appears this vehicle will match some of the performance characteristics of my current TL-S However, I still have the following questions about the performance of the RLX Hybrid.
1. How is the cornering dynamics, does this car have large amounts of lean in a fast and tight corner; or, is it relatively flat?
2. How is the braking on this car? I'm interested in this topic due to how Honda integrated the hybrid's re-generation into the brake pedal, and because the TL-S has Brembro brakes.

For a few general questions.
1. If any, what issues have you had with your RLX Hybrid?
2. Would you purchase the RLX Hybrid again?

I appreciate any information you share.

Thanks,
Old 04-01-2017, 06:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome to AZ! May I first congratulate you on your current ride. Many of us here, including me, have owned 3G TLs. It's one of my personal favorites.

The RLX Sport Hybrid is a different bird altogether. It is a largish luxury car and the ride will be a bit softer than your TL. It's not "floaty" by any means, just not as firm as your TL.

cornering is not flat, i.e., you will notice a little roll in very steep turns, but it's not bothersome. The handling in the turns, though, with the eSH-AWD, is neutral. Further, because this system allows torque vectoring whether you are on the gas or not, turns are exceptionally stable. I notice just the barest hint of understeer if I'm pushing it really hard in a steep turn. It's a very entertaining drive for sure.

I have no issues with the braking. It's not my NSX, obviously, but I have never in ordinary driving felt this car needed bigger or different brakes.

As for issues, mine has an odd electrical gremlin that appears to a one-off issue. The car's otherwise been dead reliable. I'd only ask for a tighter suspension. I not only recommend a purchase, I'm actively considering procuring another if the price is right.

Lots of comments in the forum here. This is a poorly marketed, misunderstood car that is actually a marvelous piece of tech and possibly ahead of its time. It's a car for Honda nerds like me. Read the forum and enjoy!
The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
hondamore (04-01-2017), pgeorg (04-01-2017), rockstar143 (04-25-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 08:02 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaAutoBit
1. How is the cornering dynamics, does this car have large amounts of lean in a fast and tight corner; or, is it relatively flat?
It's not exactly flat, but considering the size and weight of the car, you'll be surprised how well that it handles.

The rear electric motors point the nose quickly, so you don't waste the kind of time you waste in a TL-S, which will tend to go into a close hauled heel for a bit until you manage the understeer.

The KC2 does not understeer like that. It points the nose with the rear drive units, and it will be a different kind of driving for you, more like a track improved car with camber on the nose and heavier springs on the rear.

2. How is the braking on this car?
A big advantage of how the KC2's brakes are designed is that the brake pedal has no connection at all to the reality of the brake calipers. The force you feel, the hardness you feel in the brake pedal is artificially generated, just like on the NSX Sport Hybrid. So the brake pedal tends to stay high and hard, regardless of fade and regardless of brake pad wear.

It gives you confidence, and I've described it before as feeling like what you've always wanted your track car's brake pedal to feel like, but can never quite manage. :-)

Now...this is a big, heavy car, heavier than your 3G TL. It brakes well, but remember it's a bigger car. You're not going to stop on a dime.

Have a look at the pinned "RLX TSB" list at the top of the forum. :-) There are some things to think about, but the major issues have been taken care of at no cost.

The biggest issue I have had is a weird problem that required Honda to replace the entire VCM rocker arm assemblies on my car, as a precaution. It solved the problem, and American Honda have always been very liberal with me when thinking about things that could be done better.

Some people experience and are annoying by a wind noise problem, but they fix that free with a TSB and I'll venture that most of the cars have been fixed by now. I think that both the KC1 and KC2 in early production had this problem, and I don't think a 2016 or 2017 model year would have that issue.

Electronic issues related to the head unit plague some users, and there's no real fix for it. Just yesterday, I had to turn off my car and restart it just to get the car's Bluetooth working correctly to repair an iPhone that can been updated to a new version of developer iOS.

Sometimes you'll notice a weird response to what you thought was a perfectly understandable voice command. The way that the voice commands work is not necessarily intuitive and it will take you a while to learn...but even then, sometimes, the only permanent solution is to restart the car. :-)

The KC2 has the same AcuraLink issues that a lot of other cars have. Sometimes AcuraLink light is red and you don't know why, because you can see that you've got a full signal when you check the big screen. Sometimes the agent cannot deliver an address to your car, and the only solution is to stop, turn off the car and start it again...and at that point the agent's send to your car will show up.

I don't mean to scare you, but you have to decide if this stuff is stuff you can deal with.

The major safety related items like ACC and LKAS work perfectly and you can rely on them. There was a recall to refresh the ACC system because the KC2 is made in Japan, and they didn't take into account some US bridge constructions that might cause your car to want to stop dead in the road because it detects a bridge abatement as an obstacle. And you'll have the usual problems you have with every manufacturer's ACC, things like thinking a turning car in an adjoining lane is still an obstruction, if the turning lane happens to be in a curve that causes your radar beam to hit the car in the turning lane.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to scare you off, but there are problems. It's not a perfect car.

Probably. A car that I miss is a 2010 4G TL 6-6 SH-AWD...that was a really very good Honda, designed in America for Americans, and its systems were almost perfect when compared to the KC2. However, that car's systems were much simpler.

The Sport Hybrid KC2 is a very unique combination of features and yes, I probably would buy it again. There have been many times that I've felt the car must have been designed especially for me. A big, comfortable modern car, but with torque vectoring AWD, a very intelligent DCT7 that seems to know when it needs to double downshift, and with a lot of horsepower.

The Krell Audio is amazing when you're using an iPod.

The suspension, while a lot of people find it quirky and harsh, is very adaptable to road vagaries and weird situations like track gaters or hitting a bump in a curve when you can't avoid it. It's a full old fashioned Honda double wishbone suspension with more bushings and links than I can describe. Look under the car at the front and rear suspension, and you'll hardly believe what you see. The closest thing to it is the new NSX Coupe Sport Hybrid...really very complicated and resilient.
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
Malibu Flyer (04-04-2017), pgeorg (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 09:12 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Amend to the details supplied above:

You are looking for a 2016 RLX SH. Bob and George have the 2014 model. There are some slight changes between the two.

For the 2016+ MY:

1) Suspension has been tweaked. What you would notice most is a smaller rear roll bar, and a slightly softer ride resulting.
2) The head unit has a few feature improvements and I have experienced non of the bugginess or lags the earlier models report.
3) The Advance package adds more features - with AcuraWatch+ and 360 cam and Remote Start.
4) Most all of the TSBs and recalls listed for the 2014 model were resolved with the 2016 model
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
pgeorg (04-01-2017), stagefoursurvivor (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
3) The Advance package adds more features - with AcuraWatch+ and 360 cam and Remote Start.
A little jealous of that, but not jealous enough to spend money. :-)

That is a substantial improvement in value, considering that it did not increase the price of the car.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:06 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by George Knighton
A little jealous of that, but not jealous enough to spend money. :-)

That is a substantial improvement in value, considering that it did not increase the price of the car.
wisdom trumps jealousy
Old 04-01-2017, 10:57 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Smile

You are looking for a 2016 RLX SH. Bob and George have the 2014 model. There are some slight changes between the two.

For the 2016+ MY:

1) Suspension has been tweaked. What you would notice most is a smaller rear roll bar, and a slightly softer ride resulting.
2) The head unit has a few feature improvements and I have experienced non of the bugginess or lags the earlier models report.
4) Most all of the TSBs and recalls listed for the 2014 model were resolved with the 2016 model
Tampa,

Not that you're truly interested, in the Sunshine State but, doesn't the Advanced pkg also add heated steering wheel?
My DW will be thrilled for that alone!
Old 04-01-2017, 11:02 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Good Catch! Yes, and I actually use it (surprisingly). I never thought I would use AcuraWatch or Remote Start, but I do regularly. But the 360 cam is my favorite feature of the additions. It has made parking without curbing the wheels an exact science.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
I wish I had a heated steering wheel. As I've gotten older, my cold tolerance has decreased. Is this why our elders like to move to Florida after retirement? Even my wife's Buick has a heated steering wheel.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
^^^^
Time for a 2016 RLX SH......
Old 04-20-2017, 12:23 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Welcome to AZ! May I first congratulate you on your current ride. Many of us here, including me, have owned 3G TLs. It's one of my personal favorites.

The RLX Sport Hybrid is a different bird altogether. It is a largish luxury car and the ride will be a bit softer than your TL. It's not "floaty" by any means, just not as firm as your TL.
Thank you neuronbob for the welcome and great information! I love my TL Type S, and if it wasn't for the recent addition to my family it would continue to be my daily driver. I'm moving up to the RLX to accommodate two child seats in the rear.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:05 AM
Cruisin'

Thank You George Knighton for the excellent summary of your experience. I truly appreciate the insight. While I've reviewed many articles, and videos on this vehicle, your summary was a wealth of new information.

I have a few follow-up questions.

A big advantage of how the KC2's brakes are designed is that the brake pedal has no connection at all to the reality of the brake calipers. The force you feel, the hardness you feel in the brake pedal is artificially generated, just like on the NSX Sport Hybrid. So the brake pedal tends to stay high and hard, regardless of fade and regardless of brake pad wear.
This is very interesting. I would think this type of system would make it very difficult to determine, through feedback, the conditions of your brakes. For instance, if your pads are getting low, or if the pads are overheating. I typically rely on the feeling of the brake pedal to help me make these determinations.

Have you had any issues with warped disks or determining when the pads needed replacing?

Now...this is a big, heavy car, heavier than your 3G TL. It brakes well, but remember it's a bigger car. You're not going to stop on a dime.
Actually, since my first post I've done some additional research on this topic. Surprisingly, according to Car & Driver's measurements, the standard RLX and TL-S with Brembro brakes have approximately the same stopping distance.
TL-S: 70-0 MPH, 163 ft.
RLX (FWD): 70-0 MPH, 166 ft.

The way that the voice commands work is not necessarily intuitive and it will take you a while to learn...but even then, sometimes, the only permanent solution is to restart the car. :-)
I understand that issue. The TL's Bluetooth system has the same issue.

I don't mean to scare you, but you have to decide if this stuff is stuff you can deal with.
No worries, I appreciate the honesty. I have several VW's, and this list is nothing. VW's have the worst vehicle quirks, it is like they are test mules for the final Audi or Porsche product.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:14 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks TampaRLX-SH.

The AcuraWatch+, 360 Camera View, and remote start were the reasons why I initially preferred a 2016 unit. However, after reading more of the reviews on AZ, I have some concerns regarding the suspension changes for 2016. Considering I want similar driving dynamic of my TL-S (within reason), I may actually prefer the 2014's suspension setup.

For the 2016+ MY:

Old 04-20-2017, 09:52 AM
Racer

Thanks TampaRLX-SH.

The AcuraWatch+, 360 Camera View, and remote start were the reasons why I initially preferred a 2016 unit. However, after reading more of the reviews on AZ, I have some concerns regarding the suspension changes for 2016. Considering I want similar driving dynamic of my TL-S (within reason), I may actually prefer the 2014's suspension setup.
'16s also add heated steering wheel
Old 04-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

^^
I believe the 2015's had the heated steering wheel.....
Old 04-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pgeorg
^^
I believe the 2015's had the heated steering wheel.....
You may be right about the PAWs or the Canadian Hybrid
Old 04-20-2017, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Correct, I was taking about the 2015 P-AWS, which I owned.

Thanks for clarifying stagefoursurvivor.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:40 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by stagefoursurvivor
You may be right about the PAWs or the Canadian Hybrid
Correct. The 2015 Canadian SH has the heated steering wheel (and surround view camera as well as headlight washers).
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 11:05 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Thanks TampaRLX-SH.
Only you know what satisfies you. Not to confuse, but to add to your analysis: A 2016+ will get features previously mentioned (don't dismiss the head unit - I think it is the #1 gripe from 2015/15 owners). The rear roll bar can be replaced with the former thicker diameter bar from the 2014 MY parts. The front strut issue is focused more on the mountings than the struts (which may also have been tuned). But if and when performance strut replacements hit the market, I would suspect you would be one of the 1st to adopt them - regardless which year RLX SH you wind up with.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:46 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
BC racing makes a set of coilovers for the RLX. Which with swift spring the ride would be a lot better.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:40 PM
Cruisin'

The rear roll bar can be replaced with the former thicker diameter bar from the 2014 MY parts.
I like the way you think!!! That is an excellent idea. I would agree, the head unit upgrades between the years is a BIG advantage.

I'm also considering adding the Mugen wheels and suspension components.
–³ŒÀ | LEGEND | ƒŒƒWƒFƒ“ƒh | PARTS | HANDLING

Old 04-22-2017, 01:57 PM
Grandpa

I'm also considering adding the Mugen wheels and suspension components.
You must not have the price yet. :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
neuronbob (04-22-2017), TampaRLX-SH (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Burning Brakes

I looked up the Mugen wheel (42700-XMT-085J-45), and the price is $1,400.....

Is that for a single wheel? That would be crazy!
Old 04-22-2017, 05:45 PM
Cruisin'

WOW!! Those wheels are a litter higher priced than I expected. But, I think they would look killer on a black RLX.

Does anyone have an opinion on the following questions???

This is very interesting. I would think this type of system would make it very difficult to determine, through feedback, the conditions of your brakes. For instance, if your pads are getting low, or if the pads are overheating. I typically rely on the feeling of the brake pedal to help me make these determinations.

Have you had any issues with warped disks or determining when the pads needed replacing?
Old 04-22-2017, 06:08 PM
Grandpa

No problems with warped discs.

It doesn't matter the brake wear. You're going to check the brake pads every oil change anyway.

It's a greater advantage to the driver to have consistent brake pedal pressure, and the car is responsible for doing what is necessary to apply the appropriate pressure to the pads.

In the event of a catastrophic electrical failure, a mechanical connection takes over and you still have conventional brakes.
TampaRLX-SH (04-22-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 04:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Drive it once and got hooked... that's how good this car is. I used to get bit by mod bug on every TL and RLs I got. Not this one, it's already got all the gadget you'll ever want in a car.

questions about the performance of the RLX Hybrid.
Coming from 07TL Type S, you'll feel the defference. This car got SH-AWD by electric motor, extremely responsive, more so than my former RLs. Very fun to drive and take corners, curves.

2. How is the braking on this car? I'm interested in this topic due to how Honda integrated the hybrid's re-generation into the brake pedal, and because the TL-S has Brembro brakes.
I was one of the first to put Brembo brakes onto my 05 TL, so I know how awesome it is to have it. the breaking is just as good if not better. Combined with all the Advance features like CMBS etc. it's even better

For a few general questions.
None what so ever. there is no cars out there right now that offers what RLX SH can offer right now, hybrid, awd, ample cabin space, plush ride, surround view cameras, sensors all over the place (parking, backup, blind spot, cross traffic, etc.), heated steering wheel (not need in South Florida, it came with the car, why not), head up display, adaptive cruise/CMBS, sipping gas lightly, TONs of exhilarating torque and power (to get you out of tight spots, or away from dumb asses on the road), lot of toys and features to play with... etc. Most importantly, the exclusivity of being in this car (it'll make you feel special).
name one car out there that can get you all this. NONE, not even Lexus, (ES300h, naaaaa, it blows, under powered, boring, test drove it, miles of difference. GS450h, rear wheel drive, smaller interior, too many "OPTIONS" you have to pay for). Infinity, none.... and bunch of "plug-in" hybrid cars (wtf, can't make the motor charge battery?).

YES YES YES and HELL YEAH.....

Last edited by psheu; 04-24-2017 at 04:46 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by psheu:
fsmith (04-25-2017), mqs1 (04-24-2017), pgeorg (04-24-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-24-2017), wilspainar (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 07:19 PM
Burning Brakes

^^
Now this is a man that LOVE's his car.......

As we all do

Great answers psheu, thanks!
The following 3 users liked this post by pgeorg:
fsmith (04-25-2017), psheu (04-25-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-24-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 07:04 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by pgeorg
I looked up the Mugen wheel (42700-XMT-085J-45), and the price is $1,400.....

Is that for a single wheel? That would be crazy!
High quality forged wheels are just expensive, and then add the Mugen name brand, and, well, there you go....

I've never had Mugen wheels. Never saw the advantage over other high quality forged wheels.

I admit, however, that I've owned some pretty expensive forged wheels. :-)

Back when #110 was in its B18 OEM days, I even had a set of Spoon (Desmond) wheels.

And it doesn't matter the brand, you *can* break them.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:43 AM
Burning Brakes

High quality forged wheels are just expensive, and then add the Mugen name brand, and, well, there you go....
Thank George! Quick question: are forged wheels better compared to OEM, because they are stronger and lighter? Or is it because of the manufacturing procedure?
Old 04-27-2017, 01:14 AM
Cruisin'

Hi Everyone,

Last weekend I had the opportunity to drive up state, about a 100 miles, to test drive a 2017 RLX SH Advance (White with Black interior).

First, let me say what a beautiful car the RLX is in person. Photos and videos do not do this car justice. In person this car looks like a limo, which I like, with huge rear doors. I love the timeless, understated, and elegant design. I now truly believe the RLX's design has been given a bad rap by the automotive press. With the pronounced belt line, rear trunk hump, and very clean looking "Acura beak" I see a lot of traditional BMW design in this car.

Another area where I believe has been over hyped by the press is the radio/nav split screen interface. Once I started using the system, I actually started to really like it. Yes, some of the menu navigations was not initially intuitive, even the salesman was having a few issues, but the concept of having a lower touch screen within easy reach with haptic feedback I feel works much better than some of these other controller based systems in other cars I've test driven. While we are discussing the radio, I must say the Krell audio system is AMAZING!!!! Way better than the ELS system in my TL. The speaker highs are crisp and clear, just the way I like it. Needless to say, once the radio started playing, I had a hard time leaving the car.

The RLX SH surprised me during the test drive in many ways.

At first, coming out of my TL-S, I was very disappointed. I started my drive with Sport Mode off, and as I performed various maneuvers I didn't get a huge sensation of torque as I changed throttle input, like my TL-S. In fact, during a highway run, I even mentioned to the salesman, "this thing isn't really that fast" as I mashed the gas to pass. Then I looked down at the HUD and realized I was going way faster than I anticipated, and rapidly approaching triple digit speeds, which prompted me to correct my previous comments. For non sports mode driving, I found the car to be very smooth and effortless. In fact this smoothness and effortlessness of the RLX is very similar to another car I am considering, the W212 E550 Bi-Turbo V8. Both cars are dangerously smooth and fast.

The second part of my drive was with Sport Mode on. The RLX SH surprised me how this is just an On/Off mode, unlike other RLX's and Acura's, where there is a series of options (Eco, Normal, Sport, Sport+). For me, the car seemed crazy in Sport Mode. It was VERY responsive and high revving. In fact it actually made me a little uncomfortable, I think primarily because I didn't have that much room on the highway to stretch its legs, and I was confused on what to do. The car held the shifts too long, with the motor hanging out in the upper rev range. I kept expecting the car to shift. Ultimately, I just took over with the paddle controls.

I was amazed at how neutral the RLX SH handles. I took one corner at high speed, and the car had NO understeer, and followed through the corner with not adjustment. Despite the soft suspension setup, I was impressed how little body role the car had during cornering. I found the steering to be disappointing due to the over boosted feeling, lack of steering feedback, and how Sports Mode did not change the steering characteristics.

The brake pedal truly impressed me. George's description was very accurate, and I found the responsiveness very reassuring,

In closing, I can't say I had an uncontrollable urge to drive it off the lot after my test driving. That toffee still resides with the 2016 Volvo S60 Polestar I drove about three months ago. Ultimately, I did really enjoy driving the car, and am now confident this is the car that best combines my lifestyle needs, and driving performance requirements.

Thank you to RLX-Sports Hybrid for the test drive recommendations.
The following 8 users liked this post by MegaAutoBit:
fsmith (04-27-2017), hondamore (04-27-2017), Limelight (04-27-2017), neuronbob (05-01-2017), pgeorg (04-27-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-27-2017), TampaRLX-SH (04-27-2017), wstr75 (04-28-2017) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-27-2017, 06:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
You are very welcome! As you learn how to engage the throttle, you will find that the eco mode has its own "personality" of sorts as it is primarily a smooth and enjoyable method to access the large torque reserves. I spend most of my drive time in eco as I like that more than sport mode. Sport mode is bonkers, but for everyday enjoyment eco is for me. Enjoy!.
Limelight (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 08:27 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
^^^ I'm in large part the same. My test drive was all about Sport mode - I loved it. But in daily practice, it is too bonkers. I think it was PGEORG who said it best - that the SH should have a setting for normal, sport and sport +, as I would enjoy a little more pep in my normal mode, without it being psychotic in full- on Sport mode. But the longer you drive this car, the more you appreciate what's is doing.

I keep my car (SH and previous P-AWS) in showroom condition and have aftermarket Rotiform wheels, and yet not one person has ever approached me in a parking lot or gas station to say 'wow - nice car'! As MegaAutoBit says, it's an understated vehicle which certainly has the presence of a luxury car (not a bloated Accord as some reviewers have noted) - but I guess it just doesn't drive passion in those who see it. Driving it however is a whole different kettle of fish, and is why we all say it's best car no one knows anything about.
pgeorg (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 09:43 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
I actually drive my PWS is mostly sport mode. I haven't gotten a chance to test drive a Sport Hybrid yet, but I think if it is how you guys describe then I'll probably leave that in sport mode as well.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:41 AM
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts
Do the hybrid motors engage in full electric drive in Sport mode? In other words, in a Sport mode, is the ICE always running for faster response, or do we still get some of the hybrid economy?

And is the audible throttle growl in Sport mode real?
Old 04-28-2017, 08:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
The ICE is always on in Sport Mode, so no EV mode, only gobs of electric torque helping the ICE whenever you want it.
Scott in AZ (04-28-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 07:20 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow

I test drove an rlx paws and rlx sport hybrid. Paws was nice but didnt have a wow factor. Rlx paws definitely is an improvement over the RL, but the shawd in sport mode is crazy smooth and crazy fast. I fell in love with it. Now time to get one. The interior is nice enough but not kinda plain but oh the driving dynamics and performance plus great gas mileage. Luckily for me the greatness of this car is a secret which allows guys like me to get this car in the liw 50k range. thanks guys for making me test drive this car based on your reviews. Now time to unload my 08 Tl NAv with only 71k miles.
The following 2 users liked this post by quartzinterior:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-30-2017), wilspainar (05-01-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 11:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
quartzinterior, Thanks for the report on your test drive and good luck in your quest to buy an RLX Sport Hybrid. You'll have to be careful NOT to let the salesperson know how much you enjoyed the test drive, or the pricing might increase substantially.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 05:34 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
quartzinterior, Thanks for the report on your test drive and good luck in your quest to buy an RLX Sport Hybrid. You'll have to be careful NOT to let the salesperson know how much you enjoyed the test drive, or the pricing might increase substantially.
i already have 3 offers 50k, 51k and 51.5k This car at this price point is a steal. Lowest reported here is 48.7k.
hondamore (04-30-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^^if I can get that sort of deal, I'll have another Sport Hybrid. If not, my latest fling is with the TLX A-Spec in blue (yeah, I'm about off the SUV thing now, I just can't bring myself to do it). 5/18 is when the driving impressions embargo on the A-Spec ends. Far less expensive lease than the RLX, "sportier" suspension....we'll see....it'll be a good "placeholder" until the next RLX (Legend?) is released...

@MegaAutoBit.....glad you enjoyed. Now go buy one.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:07 PM
Cruisin'

Hi Everyone,

I have a few more questions for the current hybrid owners.
  1. Regarding Acura Link and the Acura's phone applications, in addition to unlocking the doors and honking the horn is it possible to start the car from the phone app?
  2. During the test drive the steering seemed very over boosted. Similar to the brake peddle settings, is it possible to adjust via vehicle settings the weight of the steering wheel?
  3. For those iPhone users, how well does your iPhone interface with the head unit while tethered? Are there any issues between these two devices?
Thanks,