Test Drive of the MDX Sport Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 05:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
You know I can't say if it does have CarPlay. I did not look for it. If it is there, how does it work? And I assume it will only work with an iPhone right?
If it has CarPlay/Android Auto (the Acura system has both), you would have a "smartphone" button near your jog wheel. Once your phone is plugged in via USB, you press it and the system just works.
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 06:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
The MDX-SH doesn't have Apple CarPlay-Android Auto, only the new 2018 TLX has the updated infotainment system......
The following 3 users liked this post by pgeorg:
hondamore (06-21-2017), neuronbob (06-21-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 08:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Thanks guys for looking into that! Oh well.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
To add, the 2016+ MDX does include Siri Eyes Free, though.....very convenient feature to have if you have an iPhone. Sorry RLX-Sport Hybrid its no good for you, since you use Android.....
Old 06-22-2017, 10:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
Drove 132 miles this morning. 99% freeway so EV mode was minimal (1.2/132). Drove in Normal mode as I wanted to compare as much as possible to my RLX PAWS on same trip. Had ACC set at 78 mph most of the time. Got 27.0 mpg. Same trip in RLX was usually 30.4. Pretty good comparing relative sizes of vehicles.

Loved the drive! I would not call the suspension soft, but far superior to RLX. ACC is improved as well. The RLX was jerky and slow to react for cars pulling in front or slowing down. This ACC is quicker to react and smoother. Pleasant surprise. One thing I did not notice was Lane keeping alarm. It has the Road Departure and Lane assist. Did they get rid of the alarm? Kind of annoying anyway.
Now to explore the other driving modes. Took me a while to figure out that the left most gauge was the hybrid battery charge level rather than engine temp.

The only nit I have so far is that I wonder why they could not put the power distribution monitor on the lower LCD. Would be nice to see NAVI in full screen and monitor at same time
Quoting my previous post for reference. I go a different route for my return trip. Slightly longer 136 miles. Includes ~8miles city roads and 20 miles back country roads that I can go 60 to 70 but has about 8 stop signs or stop lights. Rest freeway mostly 75+ with some slow spots. mpg = 27.3 with EV mode = 7.2
For comparison, my RLX would do 29.5
So MDX increased mpg on return versus outbound while my RLX decreased - as expected.
I can't believe how quiet it is - do all the MDX trim have the acoustic windows or only the Advance?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:45 PM
Safety Car

one other thing I have noticed. Battery drains and charges pretty fast. Looked it up and it is only 1.3 kWh. Thats smaller than a Prius.
Doesn't that seem odd? Big SUV could have added more battery/weight fairly easily - no?
The following 2 users liked this post by getakey:
moose66 (06-23-2017), wstr75 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 05:42 AM
Senior Moderator

It's already pretty heavy, and 27 mpg is pretty darned good for any SUV that heavy. I guess Acura was looking for a balance.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
one other thing I have noticed. Battery drains and charges pretty fast. Looked it up and it is only 1.3 kWh. Thats smaller than a Prius.
Doesn't that seem odd? Big SUV could have added more battery/weight fairly easily - no?
getakey . . . . . . . . you're making my 10 to 15 minutes I spend a day on this site beyond worth it. Your reviews are hands down better than those who are paid to review in my opinion. I too will be getting an MDX SH at the end of the year, if not sooner. It will be replacing the RXh. Your reviews are down to the detail level which I love. Keep them coming and thanks a ton!!!!
RLX-Sport Hybrid (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 10:08 AM
Safety Car

Thanks, but you may be mixing my review with RLX-Sport Hybrid reviews. His were very detailed and spot on
Old 06-23-2017, 11:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thank you Getakey and Moose66.

So after completing a short trip (1st one) in the MDX-SH, I have a few more observations worth noting. First, there is an annoying beep that I have not figured out how to turn off when I have Lane Keep Assist on along with all of the other cruse control items. Seemingly at random times I get a beep and I can't figure out why. Second, although it is very cool to have the car steer itself, it is not fool proof and I don't find its use relaxing, but the opposite. Also when the system senses it should slow down for an approaching car on the highway that is moving slower than me in my lane, it is not as smooth in throttle modulation or brake application as I would apply in the same situation. It feels almost binary in its input applications which caught my wife's attention more than once during the trip. She said that I drive way more smoothly than the computer aided inputs provide, so she asked that I not use this technology when we are driving together. Now that is either a compliment to my driving, or a negative towards the technology usage. Third, my gas mileage on mixed highway and country roads, some of which had some hills to climb, recorded 26.9mpg. On our way back I did not use any of the technology as I typically do in the RLX-SH and that delivered 30.3mpg for the reverse trip. The total miles driven was 401 and it returned an average of 28.3mpg, with 202 miles left to empty on the gauge when we arrived back home last night. Very good I must say. So you make the assessment from that data.

I reiterate again that this version of the MDX is the smoothest, most quiet and comfortable MDX Acura has produced to date. What a delight to take on a road trip. A few complaints though. The ventilation system is far more noisy even on its lowest setting on the fan speed than what is in the RLX-SH on a moderate setting (fan speed). Second, throttle tip in is much less responsive for the same level of peddle pressure on the gas than the RLX-SH. Third, the available thrust the entire system produces is significantly less than what I experience everyday in the RLX-SH. By comparison the RLX-SH feels 700-1000 lbs lighter just based on seat of the pants feel. If I did not have the experience of owning the RLX-SH, I might not feel this way, but when I drive them back to back, the power difference is immediate and very obvious from the first time I hit the gas at any intensity. I suspect this was programmed in, not just because it is down on all aspects of power measurements, relative to each other. That is a compliment for the RLX-SH. The lighting pattern with the fog lights on is very good on the MDX-SH, but a significant notch down in brightness, width and depth of visual field relative to the RLX-SH. I would assume most would compliment the lights on the MDX-SH until they experienced them in the RLX-SH. Those are the best lights on any car I have experienced to date. Big miss there Acura. Also not having the HUD is another big missing piece of technology in the MDX-SH, especially in the hybrid version. Lastly for now, although I like the new power distribution screen for the new hybrid system in the MDX-SH, I actually like the old one better in the RLX-SH as it is easier for me to see at a glance how many bars of hybrid assist the system is providing, as well as the MDX-SH's hybrid system does not provide the same level of immediate YAW control in the form of rear throttle control regarding the overdrive of the outside wheel and under-drive of the inside wheel in most circumstances. In the RLX-SH it is immediate and very quick to provide that responsive manner and that is missing in the MDX-SH in Comfort Mode. I may feel differently in other driving modes, but for what I experienced in Comfort mode over the last few days, especially on twisty mountain roads, it was mostly showing all four wheels with discharge blue lines on the display and rarely with the blue/green alternating display in the RLX-SH if driven on the same roads and speeds. I saw the green/blue applications if I turned the wheel more sharply in turns, but that was it. More to come in future posts my friends.

Last edited by RLX-Sport Hybrid; 06-23-2017 at 11:06 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
hondamore (06-23-2017), Limelight (06-23-2017), moose66 (06-23-2017), neuronbob (06-24-2017), wstr75 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Thanks, but you may be mixing my review with RLX-Sport Hybrid reviews. His were very detailed and spot on
Thanks for setting me straight. The kudos certainly need to go to the right person!!!!!
Old 06-23-2017, 11:25 AM
Safety Car

My experience with the ACC is that it is much better than the ACC in the 2014 RLX. However, it is not as smooth as my own driving. I will often cancel it when I see another car moving in front of me from another lane just so I can control the braking rather than ACC. However, for long stretches it works well
Old 06-23-2017, 11:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Couple of points to make in general.

The reason I am spending more time on the RLX side of the forum rather than the MDX side is I think it is relevant to RLX-SH owners and potential owners what the real world differences are between the hybrid systems. I like the quirky nature of the RLX-SH hybrid drive. It feels more "alive" to me as there are so many interesting thrust delivery experiences one can have, where in comparison, the new MDX-SH has had much of that programmed out, which I think is a huge mistake by Acura. The RLX-SH is fun to drive EVERY TIME is get behind the wheel, hands down. The new MDX-SH is a strong performer and delivers a great and relaxing driving experience, thus my repeating that it should be marketed as a "Luxury Hybrid". If a potential buyer of a new MDX test drives the traditional SH-AWD and the Sport Hybrid versions back to back, I can't see that person opting for the traditional SH-AWD. It is just that good. However, I feel compelled to compare the two hybrid systems on this side of the forum because of the related drive trains and mutually interested potential buyers/enthusiasts. I hope that continues to be ok with the moderators of this forum. I mean well.
hondamore (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 11:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

My experience with the ACC is that it is much better than the ACC in the 2014 RLX. However, it is not as smooth as my own driving. I will often cancel it when I see another car moving in front of me from another lane just so I can control the braking rather than ACC. However, for long stretches it works well
I will spend more time with it over the summer and see if my feelings change over time, but I will try your methodology more and see what happens. Thank you for the tip!
Old 06-23-2017, 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by moose66
Thanks for setting me straight. The kudos certainly need to go to the right person!!!!!
You are too kind. Thank you.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Couple of points to make in general.

The reason I am spending more time on the RLX side of the forum rather than the MDX side is I think it is relevant to RLX-SH owners and potential owners what the real world differences are between the hybrid systems. I like the quirky nature of the RLX-SH hybrid drive. It feels more "alive" to me as there are so many interesting thrust delivery experiences one can have, where in comparison, the new MDX-SH has had much of that programmed out, which I think is a huge mistake by Acura. The RLX-SH is fun to drive EVERY TIME is get behind the wheel, hands down. The new MDX-SH is a strong performer and delivers a great and relaxing driving experience, thus my repeating that it should be marketed as a "Luxury Hybrid". If a potential buyer of a new MDX test drives the traditional SH-AWD and the Sport Hybrid versions back to back, I can't see that person opting for the traditional SH-AWD. It is just that good. However, I feel compelled to compare the two hybrid systems on this side of the forum because of the related drive trains and mutually interested potential buyers/enthusiasts. I hope that continues to be ok with the moderators of this forum. I mean well.
I'm definitely one of those interested in buying a Sport Hybrid MDX and your input and reviews are very welcomed and appreciated. I put more stock in your reviews than others over in the MDX forum BECAUSE you already have a full understanding and appreciation for the Sport Hybrid system. Thanks again.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:34 PM
Safety Car

asked this same question in the MDX forum:

I saw a review of the MDX-SH that compared it to 5 or 6 other SUVs, but now I can't find it. Did Google search, but cannot find that review
Anyone else recall it?
It compared all the SUVs by category, i.e., performance, interior, etc
Old 06-23-2017, 04:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

asked this same question in the MDX forum:

I saw a review of the MDX-SH that compared it to 5 or 6 other SUVs, but now I can't find it. Did Google search, but cannot find that review
Anyone else recall it?
It compared all the SUVs by category, i.e., performance, interior, etc
I'll see what I can find. First one to get it and post it here wins! Ready.....set....go!
Old 06-23-2017, 05:05 PM
Safety Car

found it - its in this thread
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-discussion-2014-414/3rd-generation-acura-mdx-reviews-888758/page3/#post16021946

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-acura-mdx-in-depth-model-review

Last edited by getakey; 06-23-2017 at 05:11 PM.
hondamore (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 05:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

You got me!
Old 06-23-2017, 06:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I suspect the acceleration times noted in the above comparison test are 2nd gear starts. How hard is it to figure out (or be told) to select M1?????
Old 06-23-2017, 06:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hondamore
I suspect the acceleration times noted in the above comparison test are 2nd gear starts. How hard is it to figure out (or be told) to select M1?????
You got that right. It is S1 in the MDX-SH. Just past 1,000 miles on it so I will give it another 0-60 before I fill up again next week.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:43 PM
Safety Car

somewhat odd behavior. I live on a hill and driving away from house is all downhill. The car seems to not know what to do. I cannot fully take foot off accelerator or I slow down, but when trying to give slight throttle, the car literally bucks back and forth trying to figure out what to do. This is all at <25 mph. Not sure if it only does this when ICE is not yet up to temp.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:35 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
I have a solution for you

you can put the car in neutral until the electric motor is ready. You will have to use your brakes more though
Old 06-24-2017, 04:26 PM
Safety Car

not a bad idea
just finished its first wax. A lot of metal on that car! My watch thinks I did 5K steps.
Plan on getting it Opti Coated, but wanted some protection in the meantime
Old 06-24-2017, 11:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by neuronbob
It's already pretty heavy, and 27 mpg is pretty darned good for any SUV that heavy. I guess Acura was looking for a balance.
ok - a little more on this.
The RLX SH is 350 lbs heavier than the RLX PAWS
The MDX SH is only 300 lbs heavier than the MDX AWD - weight offset be getting rid of the mechanical AWD
50 lbs more battery would make a huge difference and the % higher is lower than the 350 lb gain in the RLX
Old 06-25-2017, 06:51 AM
Senior Moderator

not a bad idea
just finished its first wax. A lot of metal on that car! My watch thinks I did 5K steps.
Plan on getting it Opti Coated, but wanted some protection in the meantime
Did the same to the A-Spec yesterday. Also planning more protection. I'm trying Kamikaze, a "glass" coating, on my NSX and liking it for its durability. May try it on my crazy blue car.

ok - a little more on this.
The RLX SH is 350 lbs heavier than the RLX PAWS
The MDX SH is only 300 lbs heavier than the MDX AWD - weight offset be getting rid of the mechanical AWD
50 lbs more battery would make a huge difference and the % higher is lower than the 350 lb gain in the RLX
Fair enough. At least you're getting Acura's claimed fuel economy straight from the factory. In addition, the city mileage should be far better than a standard SH-AWD MDX. As much as I complained about fuel economy on my RLX SH, the city economy was still better than the PAWS version.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

I expect 26.5 - 28 mpg per tank no matter what roads I drive on based on what I am seeing thus far. I think that is a safe bet. My lifetime is 30.7 mpg on the RLX-SH and I just passed 50,000 miles a few minutes ago.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:38 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by quartzinterior
you can put the car in neutral until the electric motor is ready. You will have to use your brakes more though
Tried - but seems like it will not let you put in neutral when car is in motion.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:35 PM
Safety Car

Cold ICE must be the problem. Went down the hill when ICE still warm from previous trip. ICE turned off, rear wheels were regen braking and still accelerated a little. With ICE cold, it must want to find a low gear and cause the bucking. I will try putting in Sport mode and upshifting.
Odd though, because when I was in Sport mode going down a similar hill, I saw front Regen and ICE was on, but not applying power. ICE was warm though.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Talking Thoughts

Finally got to spend some time in a family member's MDX Hybrid and I am impressed. It is such a smooth quite ride and no there is no telling that you are in a hybrid; you cannot even tell when it changes gears really. After a few weeks, we are getting ~26 mpg in mixed driving which is pretty good for an AWD CUV with that much power.

As for that random beep, could it be when there is a car in front of you? When I 1st got my RLX, I kept wondering what the random 1 beep was but then realized that it happens when there is a car in front of you - kind of like a pre-warning before the ACC does anything.

Biggest complaint so far is the loud thunk/thud noise when moving from park to reverse. Also, I know Acura was trying to reduce the amount of physical buttons after all the complaints but the heat/ventilated seat controls on the touchscreen are kind of annoying compared to the MDX.

The fit and finish is excellent although it has a bit more hard plastic than I would have liked in a vehicle at this price range.

For only $1,500 more, the hybrid was well worth it. If Acura puts this much effort into their future vehicles, they could really turn things around for themselves in the luxury market.

The following 4 users liked this post by TSX69:
hondamore (06-26-2017), pgeorg (06-27-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (06-26-2017), wstr75 (06-28-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Safety Car

The shift to Reverse does have a big clunk - glad to hear it is not just mine. For the random beep, cold it be lane keeping loses the lines?

I managed to solve by herky jerky hill problem. As I expected, I used Sport and upshifted to 3rd gear. No issues.

However this evening started car, shifted to Reverse and rear camera came on. When I shifted to Drive LCD went Black. Hitting Nav, Audio, Info, Phone buttons did not do anything - not even a beep.
Stopped and restarted car and screen did come on. Hope that was a one time issue!