Suspension Rattle Anyone? - RLX

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
I have not had any issues with a suspension rattle. Given the overall quietness of the car I'm sure I would notice any unusual noise. What i am wondering is whether or not any of the TSBs apply to the Hybrid. I thought i read somewhere here that you could go to the Acura site and put you VIN in and find out if there were any TSB's. i did that for the seat belt issue [which if memory serves me is a recall not a TSB] and the Acura site did not show any recall for my car.

So far I have had no issues with my car for the first 750 miles.

See my TSB posts in the TSB thread. Every TSB I list has affected models, years, trims, and VINs.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
No clunks at 330 miles so far. This car is so quiet in EV mode that you would notice any extraneous noise. You can be sure this beta-tester will be on the lookout for such issues.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:40 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Part number

The replacement part number shown in the tsb for the front spring/damper assembly is the same as the original part number for both the rlx and the accord. Given this, it is unclear what-if anything- has changed in terms of the design and/or materials in the assembly. If there is no way to differentiate the old part from the new part, one can only assume that there was some manufacturing defect in a specific lot of parts that could only be traceable to date of mfr date codes. However, the tsb doesn't state that the dealer must identify the date code. Under "vin" it says all 2014.
Again, no tsb for rear dampers/springs either.
Very unclear
Old 11-07-2014, 06:07 AM
Instructor

Actually, the tsb lists a part number for the "strut noise kit" and the "failed part number" but the kit includes various components and does not show specifically the part number for the spring/damper assembly contained in the kit. So, who knows?
Old 11-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
No clunks at 330 miles so far. This car is so quiet in EV mode that you would notice any extraneous noise. You can be sure this beta-tester will be on the lookout for such issues.
The Sport Hybrid is so very quiet even when the engine is running that it makes you notice other noises.

It makes me wonder if we're not all going to try to get the wind noise TSB just because we can hear it now!
Old 11-07-2014, 08:57 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by mgalbr22
Actually, the tsb lists a part number for the "strut noise kit" and the "failed part number" but the kit includes various components and does not show specifically the part number for the spring/damper assembly contained in the kit. So, who knows?
Ahhh haaa....

Maybe they're packaging everything together and shipping it so that the technician knows that he is working with the newer parts designed to eliminate the noise.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
My problem with their approach on this TSB is how subjective this can potentially be. They state for the technician to first confirm that the issue is prevalent.

That right there is the big problem. You are assuming that:
A: the dealer/service center is in an area that has the necessary road-conditions to reproduce the issue. I for one am an example that you'd pretty much have to drive into the city to really expose the problem. Otherwise my service center is out in the burbs where most roads are in great condition....
B: the technician isn't such that doesn't perceive the "rattle" to be an issue and just thinks it's "normal".
IMO, this is not a good way to address this problem. It's too open for interpretation and/or conditions that don't allow the problem to be exposed.

In my mind Acura needs to fess up that this is a problem on all 2014 RLX's (as they already indicated at the beginning of the TSB) and make it a recall. And if they aren't going to make it a recall, then they need to provide an empirical method for determining whether the issue exists and not leave it open to interpretation by a technician and/or varying road conditions. At least that's how I'd handle it if I were in charge....

Last edited by holografique; 11-07-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Grandpa

I'm sure they mean well but where the good intentions fall apart is the levels between corporate and the dealer, the middle level people with the mission to save money.

Are you saying you're already having problems with implementing the TSB?
Old 11-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ no, that's not the case, and sorry if I implied otherwise. Was just thinking ahead to gain some perspective on my upcoming service visit next week to see if this can be addressed (along with a general inspection of the car post repairs from Nalley, and performing the 12 volt TSB, which is something I did report previously and should be on record).

I'll report back if I run into complications. Our RLX and ILX are both serviced exclusively at Acura Carland and they have been great to me since first becoming a service customer in 2008 with my 06 TL. They have yet to ever do me wrong till this day. Great service team and great service work.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:07 AM
Instructor

Completely agree

Originally Posted by holografique
My problem with their approach on this TSB is how subjective this can potentially be. They state for the technician to first confirm that the issue is prevalent.

That right there is the big problem. You are assuming that:
A: the dealer/service center is in an area that has the necessary road-conditions to reproduce the issue. I for one am an example that you'd pretty much have to drive into the city to really expose the problem. Otherwise my service center is out in the burbs where most roads are in great condition....
B: the technician isn't such that doesn't perceive the "rattle" to be an issue and just thinks it's "normal".
IMO, this is not a good way to address this problem. It's too open for interpretation and/or conditions that don't allow the problem to be exposed.

In my mind Acura needs to fess up that this is a problem on all 2014 RLX's (as they already indicated at the beginning of the TSB) and make it a recall. And if they aren't going to make it a recall, then they need to provide an empirical method for determining whether the issue exists and not leave it open to interpretation by a technician and/or varying road conditions. At least that's how I'd handle it if I were in charge....
You are absolutely right. This should be a recall for a known defect, which they have admitted is present in all 2014 RLXs (who knows about the 2015s?).
This should not be contingent on a subjective road test and the assessment of a service tech. Moreover, how can customers be absolutely certain that this defect does not in some manner compromise the safety of the vehicle, particularly in light of the other suspension defects, recalls and catastrophic failures in the field? Importantly, the tsb does not address the same defect in the rear suspension. There is no doubt that it exists. Anyone else who has observed this clunk and rattle should weigh in on this fact. What are they going to do about it? Hope it goes away? Release another tsb for the rear? If the latter, when? If acura cares about their reputation for quality and integrity, they should recall all of the cars with this defect and replace whatever needs replacement-assuming they have truly determined the root cause and developed the permanent corrective action.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:48 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Personally, ANY car that has a clunky sounding suspension is wrong, luxury segment or otherwise. This is one reason I am waiting to see if it is addressed before pursuing a SH RLX.

Unfortunately a recall is safety issue. At this point there is no evidence (at least that I have seen) that there is any safety impacts other than sounding bad. A defect alone will not generate a recall. Peeling paint is a defect, but that will not generate a recall and will be addressed on a case by case basis.

The company is simply trying to mitigate the costs to replace something that have admitted does not perform to expected levels. And apparently it is a big issue over several models. If they feel it is better to risk customer relations and brand reputation than good will replacements, they can just mitigate the replacements with whatever criteria they deem. Those who make a good case or make enough noise will likely be addressed.

Good business or bad, they know there are a good percentage of cars where no issues will be reported or even noticed. And they are banking on that.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
My service mgr/dealer has ordered the parts for the repair w/o verifying thru tech the noise exists. He is taking my word for it which is a good case for service tech/mgr listening to the customer and meeting the customers request. I admit I have only heard the rattle a few times over certain pavement conditions, but it does exists.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Tsb

Originally Posted by miner
My service mgr/dealer has ordered the parts for the repair w/o verifying thru tech the noise exists. He is taking my word for it which is a good case for service tech/mgr listening to the customer and meeting the customers request. I admit I have only heard the rattle a few times over certain pavement conditions, but it does exists.
Do you have it in the rear also?
Tsb only covers the front.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:16 AM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
Thanks to all who responded to the question on the suspension noise. Fingers crossed nothing to report on my end. Maybe Acura did fix a few things on the HySHAWD.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:31 AM
Safety Car

Do you have it in the rear also?
Tsb only covers the front.
No, I d not have the noise in the rear suspension.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:51 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Zoommer
Thanks to all who responded to the question on the suspension noise. Fingers crossed nothing to report on my end. Maybe Acura did fix a few things on the HySHAWD.
I think the noise is well known and documented, but not prevalent.

I didn't have it in my last RLX, and there's no sign of it in this one either.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Dealer just called to set up an appointment on the 21st for the Strut Noise Kit ( TSB -14-040 ). I know which road I will drive it on after the work. I will send another message after that.

Good detective work ! keep sending the TSDs.
The following 2 users liked this post by R. White:
bronx1480 (11-15-2014), holografique (11-12-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
i'm getting the same repair done on wednesday
Old 11-17-2014, 05:59 AM
Instructor

Not prevalent?

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I think the noise is well known and documented, but not prevalent.

I didn't have it in my last RLX, and there's no sign of it in this one either.
What is your source for stating that it is not prevalent? Anecdotal info on this site? Other?
Acura's tsb covers all 2014 RLXs.
Still, they have yet to offer a fix for the rear suspension rattle, nor has anyone confirmed that the front fix works.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Grandpa

What is your source for stating that it is not prevalent? Anecdotal info on this site?
Yes, it is based only on anecdotal information watching here and vtec.net, and extrapolating that people who visit sites like this are likely to be the most involved, and pickiest users.

I'm not going to deny for an instant that the information is anecdotal and that if we wanted to assert a positive statement anywhere we would have to conduct more research.

For all we know, the TSB came out because of Acura's own interviews and surveys of people who own the cars, and the clunking was among their list of complaints and it was a prevalent enough issue that they felt action was necessary.

I apologize if the way I conducted myself gave you any idea that I was presuming to speak with any measure of authority in the matter.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Data

Yes, it is based only on anecdotal information watching here and vtec.net, and extrapolating that people who visit sites like this are likely to be the most involved, and pickiest users.

I'm not going to deny for an instant that the information is anecdotal and that if we wanted to assert a positive statement anywhere we would have to conduct more research.

For all we know, the TSB came out because of Acura's own interviews and surveys of people who own the cars, and the clunking was among their list of complaints and it was a prevalent enough issue that they felt action was necessary.

I apologize if the way I conducted myself gave you any idea that I was presuming to speak with any measure of authority in the matter.
No need for an apology. I just wanted to know if you had additional actual data from a credible source about the incidence of this defect and/or the number of customer complaints.

Last edited by mgalbr22; 11-17-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Racer

The above is for the RLX Hybrid advance
Acura online store
Acura online store : 2014 rlx front shock absorber parts

Go to Non Hybrid Advance and you get the exact same part number. What am I missing?

Acura online store : 2014 rlx front shock absorber parts
Old 11-20-2014, 02:25 PM
Racer

Dealer just called to postpone the repair. Parts are on back-order with no promise date.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Safety Car

Same response I got from my service Mgr
Old 11-20-2014, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Back ordere?!

Originally Posted by R. White
Dealer just called to postpone the repair. Parts are on back-order with no promise date.
This makes no sense. One has to wonder whether there is more to this reported shortage of parts for a tsb that has just recently been released. Have many more owners than previously believed reported this problem and hoovered up the supply in as little as a week or two? Is there some other serious supply issue with the vendor?
I have an appt for the week after next. The parts are in.
Still no indication of what acura intends to do about the same problem with the rear suspension.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

hmmm...and I just dropped mine off at the service center today to get this done, along with inspection on the recent accident repairs.

let's see what they come back with...

on the brighter side, I got a brand spankin new TLX V6 Tech loaner for the weekend.
The following users liked this post:
bronx1480 (11-21-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 04:21 AM
Instructor

I have received one report that this repair corrects the problem with the front suspension rattle and clunk. I plan to have my car repaired in about a week and will report the results. I have been informed the parts are on hand and just hope they don't unexpectedly become back ordered before I can have it done.
Still waiting to hear what acura intends to do about the same problem in the rear suspension. No news on this defect.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:29 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Zoommer
What am I missing?
I'm not sure you're missing anything at all.

People have been speculating for some time that there is only one suspension, and that it was designed for the 5G Legend/Sport Hybrid.

Can't claim to know for sure, but as time goes by that's certainly looking more and more like it's the case!

:-)

And that'd explain the jitteriness complaints that people have been making about the low speed, rough road travel of the USDM RLX.
woropallo (11-23-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Racer

I'm not sure you're missing anything at all.

People have been speculating for some time that there is only one suspension, and that it was designed for the 5G Legend/Sport Hybrid.

Can't claim to know for sure, but as time goes by that's certainly looking more and more like it's the case!

:-)

And that'd explain the jitteriness complaints that people have been making about the low speed, rough road travel of the USDM RLX.
Back after a two week trip overseas and drove the car first thing. After been in 4 different models over the last 2 weeks I have to say that the ride is stiffer than a traditional sedan and that the car is very quiet. I suspect the stiffness of the chassis combined with potentially dampers designed for the SH-AWD will cause the "jitteriness" at low speed. I agree that at low speed it is harsher now that I got in the car after 2 weeks and riding in other softly sprung cars. But I would not change the setup--maybe allow for different settings if there is a redesign. Thanks
Old 11-23-2014, 04:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^
This car SERIOUSLY needs magnetic ride control for those who like a softly sprung ride. In my CTS-V it's a button press to change from Cadillac-smooth to firmer, near-sports car ride. In fact, my two Vs were the first cars in years I did not immediately modify the suspension in.

Personally, I like a firm ride as it helps me to "feel" the road conditions better; the RLX hybrid is pretty good but not perfect in that regard. I don't think I'll be modding this suspension.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:05 AM
Instructor

Has anyone had the front suspension tsb repair done? If so, results?
Please indicate whether you have the same clunk and rattle in the rear and what you have been advised by dealer/acura about that repair.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

I received an update from my service rep on Wednesday that they were moving forward with the TSB on mine, and that it was going to require some additional time as the TSB requires some cooperation with Acura's Tech/Engineering team, as well as ordering parts, etc.

I told them to take as much time as needed to try and get this right. I'm looking forward to see what the results are.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Odd

I received an update from my service rep on Wednesday that they were moving forward with the TSB on mine, and that it was going to require some additional time as the TSB requires some cooperation with Acura's Tech/Engineering team, as well as ordering parts, etc.

I told them to take as much time as needed to try and get this right. I'm looking forward to see what the results are.
Seems odd. Didn't the dealer order and confirm receipt of the tsb repair parts prior to scheduling the service Also, why would the cooperation of acura tech/eng be necessary to replace the parts in the tsb repair kit unless there is some question as to the proper installation of the repair parts or the effectiveness of the fix?
Old 11-30-2014, 07:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ No. The dealer was not able to order or confirm repair until the car came in for them to check it out and confirm that the problem existed and was reproducible. So I don't think there's anything necessarily odd about it.

As for why Acura needs to be involved, I don't know, and they didn't go into details. I trust they have a good reason for it. At this point I'm just glad to see acknowledgement and attention with steps being taken to work towards a resolution, understanding it just may take time. I'd rather it take time to get it done right, rather than it being a quick "band-aid".
Old 12-03-2014, 03:48 PM
Racer

After 10 days of no news, I called the dealer to see what he might know about the repair pahts ( guess where I'm from). He knows nothing.

Has anyone had the repair done ?
Old 12-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
^ No. The dealer was not able to order or confirm repair until the car came in for them to check it out and confirm that the problem existed and was reproducible. So I don't think there's anything necessarily odd about it.

As for why Acura needs to be involved, I don't know, and they didn't go into details. I trust they have a good reason for it. At this point I'm just glad to see acknowledgement and attention with steps being taken to work towards a resolution, understanding it just may take time. I'd rather it take time to get it done right, rather than it being a quick "band-aid".
I am curious do you. Hear the rattling when the car is moving over just poor road conditions? In my car when I amoving over rough roads I hear nothing, for no rattling.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Racer

In my vehicle, there are both a rattle and a clunk depending upon the road conditions. The rattle occurs most often when driving on broken pavement which is common in my area due to frost heaves. The rattle sounds like something is loose. The clunk occurs often when hitting a slightly recessed man hole cover. In both cases, the sounds are coming from the front.
woropallo (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

^ This description is par on par to my experience. Only adding to it the hard "shock" and "jarring" that occurs to the vehicle when hitting things like pot holes, recessed man-hole covers, and other conditions that create sudden or harsh changes in pavement elevation. It's as if the car just "bottoms out" and has no shocks whatso-ever.

My RLX is ready for pick-up today after having the suspension TSB done. That may just make me the first person here on the forum to report on the results.

Stay tuned...
The following 3 users liked this post by holografique:
miner (12-04-2014), neuronbob (12-04-2014), woropallo (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Tsb repair

^ This description is par on par to my experience. Only adding to it the hard "shock" and "jarring" that occurs to the vehicle when hitting things like pot holes, recessed man-hole covers, and other conditions that create sudden or harsh changes in pavement elevation. It's as if the car just "bottoms out" and has no shocks whatso-ever.

My RLX is ready for pick-up today after having the suspension TSB done. That may just make me the first person here on the forum to report on the results.

Stay tuned...
I agree with the two descriptions above of the clunk and rattle. However, in my car it has clearly been in the front and the rear. This is consistent with what acura reps stated in the arbitration hearing, i.e. the defect is common to all 2014 RLXs and is both front and rear.
The repair was done to the front suspension my car yesterday. At the time I dropped it off, the service department reiterated that they still have no info from acura regarding the rear suspension.
While there may be some improvement in the front end, it is difficult to assess the degree of improvement. The problem is that when driving-even at moderate speeds- the rear wheel hits the bump within a fraction of a second of the front wheel hitting the bump, making it difficult to isolate the source of the noise and vibration. It is still clearly quite perceptible and annoying. Whether it is now emanating exclusively from the rear is hard to assess. Over the next week or so, I will try to discern exactly what is going on and where. However, I am certain that the rear suspension needs to be addressed as well.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well...good news, bad news...

Bad news: nothing has changed regarding the overall "ride comfort" of the vehicle when dealing with less than stellar road conditions (bumbs, potholes, inner-city driving, etc). Feels pretty much the same prior to the TSB repair. It still exhibits the same jarring shocks to the chassis and the steering when hitting road conditions that otherwise are handled just fine by the TLX, MDX, RDX, and ILX (I've had all of these as loaners, including my wife's ILX on the same roads I drive to and from work.)

Good news: the loose "rattle" "jumbly" sound is gone. you don't get that sound of the chassis being lose or "stuff" jumbling around anymore.

The service documentation clearly states that there is a "faulty valve" in the suspension that is at fault for the "noise/rattling". No other details provided.

At this point, I've come to the conclusion, that I'm just going to have to live with the fact that this is how this car rides. Whether it was intentional or a design mistake, I honestly don't have the time to care anymore. Too many other important things in life going on right now. I lease the car, I don't plan to buy it either at the end of the lease, so at this point I just don't care. We'll see if Acura does anything to change or address this come 2016, for what I feel is a poorly designed suspension for what should be a "luxury ride" for a car at this price. If not, then I'll most definitely be looking to make a move when my lease is up. A6, E350 or a GS. I loved the TLX and it's a superb car, but it's too small for what I want and doesn't carry the additional "luxury" that I want.

I really hope Acura figures it out.

Last edited by holografique; 12-05-2014 at 06:17 PM.
bronx1480 (03-02-2016)

Quick Reply: Suspension Rattle Anyone? - RLX