Strange throttle response experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 03:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Strange throttle response experience

Just a few minutes ago I experienced something different than usual and am wondering if it was just a computer snafu or something else, I'm inclined to think the secondary. While driving at around 20 mph under very light throttle in traffic, the car shifted out of EV mode into ICE mode, but then I backed off just slightly while still in the gas and then immediately reapplied more throttle input. In that EV/ICE throttle input exchange, it seemed for just a moment the computer could not figure out if I was calling for more throttle or less and it momentarily did not apply EV power or ICE power for quite literally a second. I think it was driver input that confused the system, meaning I think it was my fault, but what do you all think? Could it just have been the pattern of throttle engagement and being right of the edge of the EV/ICE envelope that caused it. I tried to repeat it, but was unsuccessful.

I look forward to your collective input.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
I think it is the same delay we get when in Eco mode, and you try to accelerate quickly (while varying the throttle input). At least for me it takes a sec to decide what to do, especially when there is a kick down.....

IMHO its just the CPU trying to calculate all the parameters, and provide the best response (with economy the top priority)....

That is why I would like to have a Normal mode also.
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 04:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I figured as much. Thank you sir! Always very helpful!
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 07:16 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The software of this car has a lot of decision making. If the software responds too quickly to subtle and contradictory input from the driver you wind up with chaotic responses. The delay is sometimes purposeful to smooth transitions.

This is not unique to our SH. When Lexus first launched an 8 speed transmission a family member's Lexus was a nightmare. It was constantly hunting and shifting with the slightest changes (slight inclines, headwinds, feathering the throttle). The expected Lexus smooth creamy ride was a herky jerky experience. Ultimately the transmission disintegrated, twice.

Even my former RL with an 'archaic' but smooth 5 speed could be 'faked out' is you applied throttle but let off just as the shift point was reached. It sometimes had a clumsy shift.

To some degree the logic in this car has an underlying 'make up your mind' reaction time (which is tossed to the wind in SPORT mode). Add to the tranny shifting logic, deciding where and when to drop into EV mode, while determining which wheel(s) to send power, while managing VCM, while optimizing ULEV emissions logic and responding to electronic throttle control, also while using e-motor reverse polarity to regen energy.......... you get the picture.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
moose66 (03-30-2017), pgeorg (03-29-2017)