Sport Hybrid Fuel Economy

Old 12-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob

I'm having way too much fun with the car to hypermile it. LOL!
Yeah...I did that for my 4th gas tank...had over 1000 miles and let it breathe...this is how the car is meant to be driven !!! I have 30.2 on one gas tank; also; 26; 22; 29; etc...so far Min of 22 and Max of 30.2. The 30.2 was w/o hyper but mostly hwy. I did have moments of 32 within the 30.2 average.

Can't complain. I knew if I wanted MPG pure and simple I should have bought a TDI.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Racer

Trip to Big Apple. 1st Tank 230 miles got 27.6 mpg and then 117 miles and got 26.4 mpg with fairly high speed avg. 2nd tank 147 miles 29 mpg avg 57 mph. Traffic was humming and speeds were high. Car was rock steady. Could hear noise from door jam from top to door handle specially when road was wet. Happy with mileage and really happy with acceleration, breaking, and responsiveness; many stares and looks. Easy to "getaway" from those "testing" to learn what the car is capable of.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (01-04-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 07:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I REALLY WANT TO FIND ME A SH-AWD RLX. Not sure I want to take the hit on the PAWS though.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^
That is a tough financial decision to make. I don't envy it.

You are definitely a candidate for that $9k off Pomegranate Advance RLXh in NC someone mentioned in the RLX Sales thread, if you actually got that much off the new one, losing money on trading the PAWS RLX would sure hurt less.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Racer

^^^
That is a tough financial decision to make. I don't envy it.

You are definitely a candidate for that $9k off Pomegranate Advance RLXh in NC someone mentioned in the RLX Sales thread, if you actually got that much off the new one, losing money on trading the PAWS RLX would sure hurt less.
I agree wholeheartedly. If I was given such a deal I would have run to it but then I again I was inclined towards buying. My trade in helped a lot.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Racer

Btw, to date my MPG since purchase is 25.6///and I have a very sleepy heavy right foot. :-)
Old 01-06-2015, 01:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I just picked up my new black/black 2014 RLX Sport Hybrid Tech and am new to the forum. What great car! Glad to be one of the 250 who will have one in the US. I have only less than 200 miles on it, but have been averaging about 27 mpg. I assume it will climb with time.
The following 8 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
2011TL (01-06-2015), fsmith (01-06-2015), George Knighton (01-06-2015), hondamore (01-06-2015), neuronbob (01-06-2015), TSX69 (01-06-2015), wstr75 (01-07-2015), Zoommer (01-06-2015) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-06-2015, 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Welcome aboard RLX-Sport Hybrid. You got yourself one heck of a car there!! Congratulations.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hondamore
Welcome aboard RLX-Sport Hybrid. You got yourself one heck of a car there!! Congratulations.
One thing: I noticed a slight amount of wind noise which is louder in the rain around the driver side door handle. Is there a fix for that? I mean is there an adjustment to make that go away? Otherwise the car is fantastic! It is much faster than I expected. A buddy of mine has an A8 and he asked to trade with me. I said no way. The A8 is a very nice car too.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
I just picked up my new black/black 2014 RLX Sport Hybrid Tech and am new to the forum. What great car! Glad to be one of the 250 who will have one in the US. I have only less than 200 miles on it, but have been averaging about 27 mpg. I assume it will climb with time.
Welcome to the forum! I think we are now at 8 hybrid owners on the forum.

Go post your purchase details here: https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...r-sign-883232/

The wind noise is a TSB listed in the TSB thread here: https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...thread-921955/

Again, welcome!

LOL at your buddy's wanting to swap his A8 (which is not chopped liver itself).
Old 01-06-2015, 03:07 PM
Racer

Congrats and welcome to the Sports Hybrid community. You will love the car. On your mileage it depends on how you drive, where you are located, and your city/hwy mix. If you drive with the intent to get the most out of your gallon of gas you will be around the 25-27 mpg in the mix loop. If you are in the cold weather country the seasonal gas mix will drop your mileage. If you have more city then hwy you will see a different mileage pattern.

During fall with mostly hwy at posted speeds I got 30.2 on one tank. At that time my combination city/hwy was 26. My worst is 22.

Enjoy the car=great drive and ride.

Cheers
Old 01-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Racer

One thing: I noticed a slight amount of wind noise which is louder in the rain around the driver side door handle. Is there a fix for that? I mean is there an adjustment to make that go away? Otherwise the car is fantastic! It is much faster than I expected. A buddy of mine has an A8 and he asked to trade with me. I said no way. The A8 is a very nice car too.

That's wild. I was debating the A6 TDI Prestige but liked the Sports Hybrid better.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Welcome to the forum! I think we are now at 8 hybrid owners on the forum.

Go post your purchase details here: https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...r-sign-883232/ Done

The wind noise is a TSB listed in the TSB thread here: https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...thread-921955/ I can't open the link.

Again, welcome!

LOL at your buddy's wanting to swap his A8 (which is not chopped liver itself).
His car is very nice. I'm sure I would trade if I had his car, but I appreciate his sentiment.

Also any idea why I can't sync my phone's contacts? It is set up to sync as it is turned on in the phone settings of the car. Any ideas? Should I delete the phone and pair it again? What do you think?
Old 01-06-2015, 03:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

His car is very nice. I'm sure I would trade if I had his car, but I appreciate his sentiment.

Also any idea why I can't sync my phone's contacts? It is set up to sync as it is turned on in the phone settings of the car. Any ideas? Should I delete the phone and pair it again? What do you think?
I meant: I'm sure I would NOT trade if I had his car, but I appreciate his sentiment. Sorry for the typo.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:26 PM
Racer

Is it iOS or Android? For iOS, are you on the latest release? If so, go the Settings>Bluetooth>HandsFreeLink>and under My Devices find the HFL, tap on i and make sure sliders are set to show green and also everything else is checked.

If it does not work=delete configuration from car and from phone and restart.

Good luck
Old 01-06-2015, 03:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Zoommer
That's wild. I was debating the A6 TDI Prestige but liked the Sports Hybrid better.
I never liked the Audi line enough to buy one. I considered the Infiniti Q70 Hybrid but the back seat felt slightly smaller, the power delivery was nothing like the RLX SH, and the pricing was more. So it seemed obvious to pick the RLX SH.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Is it iOS or Android? For iOS, are you on the latest release? If so, go the Settings>Bluetooth>HandsFreeLink>and under My Devices find the HFL, tap on i and make sure sliders are set to show green and also everything else is checked.

If it does not work=delete configuration from car and from phone and restart.

Good luck

Android and I will give it a try. Thank you for the tip! I will report back.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:37 PM
Racer

Android and I will give it a try. Thank you for the tip! I will report back.

Android is pretty straight forward:
  • 1. On the phone, verify Bluetooth is ON and it’s in discoverable mode.
  • 2. Press the PHONE button on the radio unit. The HFL system will notify you that there are no phones paired and ask you if you would like to pair a phone now.
  • 3. Select “YES” and then “OK”
  • 4. The system will search and then provide a list of Bluetooth devices found.
  • Select your phone from the list. The phone will either display a 6 digit number to verify against the system, or the phone will prompt for the pairing pass-code. If the 6 digit number is displayed, verify the number on the phone matches the number on the system and press the confirmation button on the phone.If the phone prompts for the pairing pass-code, enter the pairing pass-code provided by the system into the phone.
  •  
    • Select your phone from the list. The phone will either display a 6 digit number to verify against the system, or the phone will prompt for the pairing pass-code.
    • If the 6 digit number is displayed, verify the number on the phone matches the number on the system and press the confirmation button on the phone.If the phone prompts for the pairing pass-code, enter the pairing pass-code provided by the system into the phone.
  • 6. If the phone is not found by the system, select “PHONE NOT FOUND?” and skip to step 9. The HFL system will prompt you to begin the pairing search from the phone.
  • 7. Once the phone is paired the system will notify you that the pairing was complete. Check your phone for any popup messages and be sure to select the check boxes to always allow access to the PBAP requests if asked. Not accepting this request may cause the Bluetooth connection problems.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thank you very much! Talk about exceeding one's expectations! I will give this a try before heading home and report back. Again thank you.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
RLX- Sport Hybrid....

Welcome to Acurazine. Nice to have another "beta tester" on board. We look forward to hearing about your experiences and impressions of your car. So far most of the owners here of the Sport Hybrid love it. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal!!

Welcome aboard.....Neuronbob will send you the secret handshake and password.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
RLX- Sport Hybrid....

Welcome to Acurazine. Nice to have another "beta tester" on board. We look forward to hearing about your experiences and impressions of your car. So far most of the owners here of the Sport Hybrid love it. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal!!

Welcome aboard.....Neuronbob will send you the secret handshake and password.
Took the highway home tonight for the first time. WOW!!! It is smooth as silk! Is it possible that this might be one of the world's best sedans? I found the heads up display to be great just placing the speedo right on top of the hood with the battery charge/discharge meter next to it. It was cool being basically anonymous as the car did not attract any attention from anyone. Also I noticed that the front brake calipers have the brand name on them. Nice touch! What a difference between the "eco" mode and Sport. I have the 2014 MDX Tech too and I love that car as well. Acura has grown to be a great company. Too bad it is not domestic.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:20 PM
Pro

Took the highway home tonight for the first time. WOW!!! It is smooth as silk! Is it possible that this might be one of the world's best sedans? I found the heads up display to be great just placing the speedo right on top of the hood with the battery charge/discharge meter next to it. It was cool being basically anonymous as the car did not attract any attention from anyone. Also I noticed that the front brake calipers have the brand name on them. Nice touch! What a difference between the "eco" mode and Sport. I have the 2014 MDX Tech too and I love that car as well. Acura has grown to be a great company. Too bad it is not domestic.
One of great features of this car is its dual personality.....a quite, comfortable luxury cruiser on the highway and a screaming, almost sports car like drive on a curvy back road while in Sport mode. All this accomplished with relatively good gas mileage. Now if Acura could only get its act together on the infotainment system.....
Old 01-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Thanks for calling yourself Sport Hybrid instead of (h).
Old 01-06-2015, 06:28 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
LOL at your buddy's wanting to swap his A8 ....
I'd like to hear more about that sometime, if he has the time. The A8 is a different class of automobile, like the LS460 is in a different class.

You wouldn't normally think that the person who'd buy one would be interested in the other.

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
Now if Acura could only get its act together on the infotainment system.....
I'm used to it now. I think they could have done a better job with the voice commands.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well this worked for syncing the phone but not all of my contacts. Call history yes. I set up speed dials, but my entire contact list did not move over. What did I do wrong? This car can launch rockets into space, but I can't bring over my contacts?
Old 01-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I'd like to hear more about that sometime, if he has the time. The A8 is a different class of automobile, like the LS460 is in a different class.

You wouldn't normally think that the person who'd buy one would be interested in the other.

I'm used to it now. I think they could have done a better job with the voice commands.
You would think so. He has had many Audi and BMWs in the past, but I think he is just bored with those and is looking for a change. When I told him what I paid, he thought that was a bargain. He is right.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:18 AM
Racer

Well this worked for syncing the phone but not all of my contacts. Call history yes. I set up speed dials, but my entire contact list did not move over. What did I do wrong? This car can launch rockets into space, but I can't bring over my contacts?
Who is your provider and what brand of phone do you have? Could be an issue.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
None within 50 miles of 27609, says cars.com
Yup couldn't find one anywhere around Raleigh to test drive. Back in LA now, will see if I can round one up.

Was at my Acura dealer yessterday for warranty work, they don't have one. Said they won't be getting one in the next 2-3 months either in allocation.

Originally Posted by hondamore
2012Wagon, I think the RLX Sport Hybrid will surprise you in a few ways:
- It is probably a lot quieter than you may have expected, possibly as quiet or quieter than your LS
- It is a lot faster than you were expecting, certainly faster than your LS
- It is a lot sportier and handles a lot better than you may have thought, no comparison here as the LS is designed for luxury cruising and not sporty handling
- At half the price of your LS, the interior will surprise you, it may be a slight step below the fit and finish of the LS, but it is every bit a true luxury car.
- It is a sleeper, both in performance and in luxury, you can expected a lot of "Wow, what car is this?" inquiries from onlookers and passengers.

Just my two cents based on PAWS RLX seat time, Sport Hybrid reviews and plenty of time spent in a friends LS.
Thank you for that.

If it is faster than the LS6, as you are saying, it may be replacing the LS soon. I need something fast

Though with the GS-F revealed yesterday, I already got a call from my Lexus dealer asking if I am interested.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
You would think so. He has had many Audi and BMWs in the past, but I think he is just bored with those and is looking for a change. When I told him what I paid, he thought that was a bargain. He is right.
One of my coworkers went from a S63AMG to a IS-F to a S8, to a A8L, to a 760iL, to a CTS-V wagon.

I know in the media and forums, people say "x won't cross shop y, z" etc, but in reality, most of us that have car ADD, just change often, and are bored and need something else to scratch the itch.

Cheaper than switching mistresses....
neuronbob (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Who is your provider and what brand of phone do you have? Could be an issue.

I have a Samsung S4 (or 4S I don't know or care really). When a call came in today that was not on my speed dial, it did recognize it. But I can't see where I can select a number from a particular person in my contacts. I feel like a bone head for asking such a dumb question. Can you assist or point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Update on my door noise and mileage today

Three things:

1.) I think the P-shifter is largely obsolete with this transmission in Sport mode. It is so intuitive that every time I would have wanted to up-down shift by the P-shifter, the transmission did it a fraction of a second before I would have done it. Therefore there is no need for the shifters. Great engineering!

2.) My mileage is now around 28-29 mpg in mixed driving. I am intentionally not driving any different than I do in my MDX or what I did in the car I replaced. I get around 23-24 mpg in the MDX and did get around 18-19 mpg in the old car, driving the same way on the same roads. It is very tempting to dip into the throttle I have to admit.

3.) I discovered what may be a fix for my wind noise in the driver side door. I noticed that there are two rubber grommets in the door below the lock mechanism. I twisted them to be a tight as possible as they were loose, and drove the car. It seems that the problem is solved. For those that are experiencing the same noise, maybe you should give it a try and see if it works for you? It would be great if that is all it took to resolve that issue.
hondamore (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Racer

I have a Samsung S4 (or 4S I don't know or care really). When a call came in today that was not on my speed dial, it did recognize it. But I can't see where I can select a number from a particular person in my contacts. I feel like a bone head for asking such a dumb question. Can you assist or point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.
Try here...the instructions I posted should have worked but just in case go to this site and follow the steps. Many times you have to delete the configuration from both car and phone and restart.

HandsFreeLink | Acura.com
Old 01-07-2015, 03:05 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
I discovered what may be a fix for my wind noise in the driver side door. I noticed that there are two rubber grommets in the door below the lock mechanism. I twisted them to be a tight as possible as they were loose, and drove the car. It seems that the problem is solved. For those that are experiencing the same noise, maybe you should give it a try and see if it works for you? It would be great if that is all it took to resolve that issue.
Thanks for this. Could you either be more specific about the location of these two grommets or possibly snap a photo so I can check it out? Thanks.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fsmith
Thanks for this. Could you either be more specific about the location of these two grommets or possibly snap a photo so I can check it out? Thanks.

Until I can figure out how to attach a photo, I will describe as best as I can. If you open the door and look at the bottom left hand corner near the edge, there is one right there, and then the other is about a foot above it on the plastic component. I hope that helps. I drove it again just a short while ago and the noise was gone. I think that did the trick. Maybe it will help others?
Old 01-07-2015, 04:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Try here...the instructions I posted should have worked but just in case go to this site and follow the steps. Many times you have to delete the configuration from both car and phone and restart.

HandsFreeLink | Acura.com

Thank you. I will give it a try. It there a tab for "contacts" in the phone section of the car? I have not found it.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Racer

Thank you. I will give it a try. It there a tab for "contacts" in the phone section of the car? I have not found it.
The closest that comes to settings is as follows:

Go to phone menu
Go to phone settings (stay with all folder)
Go to Automatic Phone Sync
Make sure it is on

This should fix it but I cannot guarantee it.

In the manual the while things is explained (in not very friendly sequence) starting page 319.

I cannot get my iPhone to respond to texts even though the system tries to....meaning there are a few things you will have to try sitting in the car until you figure it out.

There is a lot of technology built in but not necessarily well explained or kept up to date OTA refresh....

Good luck
Old 01-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

The closest that comes to settings is as follows:

Go to phone menu
Go to phone settings (stay with all folder)
Go to Automatic Phone Sync
Make sure it is on

This should fix it but I cannot guarantee it.

In the manual the while things is explained (in not very friendly sequence) starting page 319.

I cannot get my iPhone to respond to texts even though the system tries to....meaning there are a few things you will have to try sitting in the car until you figure it out.

There is a lot of technology built in but not necessarily well explained or kept up to date OTA refresh....

Good luck

I tried what you recommended and it did not help me unfortunately. The dealer is useless as I think you know more about it than they do. I am the only one with this car from my dealer and they are not getting any more of them, so I am on my own. I followed your steps carefully twice, and it did not help. If you have success on your end, let me know. I appreciate your assistance.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:11 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Just a thought: I understand you have an Android phone, but on the iPhone there is a somewhat hard to find setting under Bluetooth for the "HandsFreeLink" Bluetooth device (that's the car) that turnes syncing contacts on or off. Perhaps on Android there is something similar under Bluetooth.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:40 PM
Pro

Last 2,000 MPG

I now have around 3,000 miles on my Sport Hybrid. The first 1,000 miles, I averaged just over 27 MPG. I reset my "B" trip to zero.

I have decided for the time being to not reset the "B" trip mileage tracker so I now have approximately 2,000 miles on it. My mileage has gone up some, to 28.3 MPG. This includes about 30% freeway driving, although it has been on LA to San Diego trip which means plenty of traffic and few wide open stretches [usually done at 70-75 mph, until the inevitable heavy traffic]. Even with the bouts of heavy traffic [stop and go might help the mileage if I am able to primarily use the EV] my freeway mileage has been 31-33 mpg.

One of the reasons I think the first 1,000 miles was lower was there were several 20-30 mile trips of aggressive driving in Sports mode to test the performance of the car. Those jaunts probably gave me well under 20 mpg. Haven't had the time to play in the last 2,000 miles.

There are lots of variables to the mpg equation -- the biggest is the driver & type of driving [local vs freeway], but also the type of gas [no ethanol in So Cal] and the weather [the longer it takes the car to warm up the less the EV is used and the less strain on the 12v battery].

So for me, the mileage seems to be in the EPA range, or at least close to it.
hondamore (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 02:33 PM
Racer

This echoes my car's consumption behavior.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sport Hybrid Fuel Economy