Sport mode - Why did Acura do it this way?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 04:43 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Sport mode - Why did Acura do it this way?

If I understand things correctly, Sport mode works automatically only for the first two gears, after which you have to manually select the higher ones. In the meantime, it makes the throttle tip-in and shift points more aggressive.

Other makers (like Lexus, Infiniti, etc.), however, utilize Sport mode to just make tip-in and shift points more aggressive, BUT the transmission goes ahead and shifts through all the gears. IOW, their Sport mode just makes the car change its personality and perform more aggressively.

I'm not sure I understand Acura's philosophy in making theirs perform the way it does. I'd personally prefer that it work like many others do, and not leave you in second gear until you shift out.

Anyone have any insight on Acura's thinking?

Old 03-12-2014, 05:15 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
lol!
i did not know other auto makers do it that way.
I guess, acura is still clutching on their laurels. meaning, a boy racer would love a 6MT!
what we have here is an identity crisis
Old 03-12-2014, 05:25 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I thought that Sport Mode would shift automatically, my only complaint being that you couldn't get into 6th below 70.

But I'll make sure when I run out a little later.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Well let me say... shifting into 2nd with paddle shifters that are fixed to a turning wheel is not the easiest thing to do. Maybe instead of fixing it to the hub or console they just let the tranny shift for you in the gears you would be turning in... just a guess.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I prefer the "tiptronic" in my old '06 RL.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
If I understand things correctly, Sport mode works automatically only for the first two gears, after which you have to manually select the higher ones. In the meantime, it makes the throttle tip-in and shift points more aggressive.
Sport Mode (without touching paddle shifters) does what you understand. It will shift automatically through the gears, while holding gears longer between shifts (running up to a higher RPM). However, it does not require that you use the paddles to gain a benefit. From Acura's site:

The 6-speed automatic transmission with Sequential SportShift paddle shifters gives you the best of both worlds by providing the convenience of precise and intuitive automatic shifting as well as shift-for-yourself control.
Set the transmission to “Drive” for smooth gear changes with an emphasis on fuel efficiency. Select “Sport” for quicker acceleration, as the transmission allows the engine to rev higher before up-shifting.
Using a paddle shifter in “Sport” puts the transmission into full manual mode, where you’ll have complete control in instances such as high-performance or hilly driving.
Think of it as 4 ways to use the transmission:
  1. "D"
  2. "D" with temporary override
  3. "S"
  4. "S" with full manual (except for the automatic 1-2 shift)
Old 03-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
In a perfect world, Sport mode would alter steering effort as well, like the Honda CR-Z.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
In a perfect world, Sport mode would alter steering effort as well, like the Honda CR-Z.
Curiously, we were told initially that the ratio was faster and that the assist lowered, but I can find no mention of it in the current published information so I didn't mention it.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:28 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Curiously, we were told initially that the ratio was faster and that the assist lowered, but I can find no mention of it in the current published information so I didn't mention it.
Are you confused with the Acura "IDS" system which alters the steering assist effort ?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Are you confused with the Acura "IDS" system which alters the steering assist effort ?
No, the RLX does not have IDS. I was referring to what we were told at the Ride and Drive in March 2013 before the car was released.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Mike, like Colin said, you don't have to touch the paddles when engaging Sport mode. Just push the Sport mode button and leave the paddles alone and it will behave exactly like the other manf you've described. It's only when you touch the paddles that it will go into full manual mode with the 1-2 auto shift.

One other characteristic to note: while in full manual with Sport mode, it will always automatically down-shift for you.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:21 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by holografique
Mike, like Colin said, you don't have to touch the paddles when engaging Sport mode. Just push the Sport mode button and leave the paddles alone and it will behave exactly like the other manf you've described. It's only when you touch the paddles that it will go into full manual mode with the 1-2 auto shift.

One other characteristic to note: while in full manual with Sport mode, it will always automatically down-shift for you.
Hmmm ... I haven't seen mine go past second gear, and it was the same with my RDX. It will stay in second and run the revs up pretty high before I give up and use the paddles or take it out of Sport.

Maybe I just haven't gone fast enough for it to upshift further?

Still it's not like some other cars I've had, where it just sharpens the performance and still shifts normally other than revving higher.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Maybe I just haven't gone fast enough for it to upshift further?
I drove in Sport Mode yesterday evening and it shifted okay for me, except that I keep getting the feeling that it doesn't need to hold 5th gear to 70.

I suppose if nothing else it reveals that 6th is definitely off the cam, off torque, fuel saving.

Still it's not like some other cars I've had, where it just sharpens the performance and still shifts normally other than revving higher.
I suspect that if we used Sport Mode all of the time, we'd end up wasting tonnes of fuel. One of the things it does is that it removes the accelerator pedal buffer that we have in regular mode.

In regular mode if your foot shifts slightly in a way that might tend to make a one or two mph difference, the car pushes back as if to ask, "Are you sure or is this inadvertent?"

In Sport Mode the throttle has a very obvious immediacy.

I suppose I am conflicted about having reactive dampers instead of magnetic dampers, but at the same time I have to admit that I have no real complaints about how the car handles except for that low speed, rough road business that we all seem to comment about.

Frankly, I'm surprised how very well this car handles for a big, 4,000# sedan.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:15 PM
AcurAdmirer

Yeah, I guess I have to apologize - I'd just never gotten the car up past about 40-45 in Sport mode and it just wasn't ready to shift up to third. I drove it up to about 50-55 today and it did indeed shift on out.

I also believe George is right that it won't engage 6th gear in Sport mode. In fact, it didn't go past 4th at the speeds I went.

The bottom line for me is that Sport isn't really a viable option for anything other than running-away-from-a-bank-robbery urgency, and as such won't be used much at all. I would personally have preferred a less-aggressive version that just amped up the throttle response and held on to gears a little longer. This version is a little too urgent for everyday use.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

That's really weird Mike. Almost sounds like some calibration is needed somewhere.

Mine definitely doesn't need to go that fast to shift into 3rd in Sport mode. From my experience its largely based on how aggressive you are with the throttle. The harder you push it the higher the RPM before it changes gears. But if you go at it normally then it typically shifts at around 30-35 with a slight rev up in RPM (usually 2500RPM) before it shifts into third.

Try engaging Sport mode at a red light and just accelerate as you normally would in everyday leisurely driving and you should get what you're asking for, which is a simple nice boost in acceleration without feeling overly aggressive.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Suzuka Master

I believe it has little to do with vehicle speed. It is about throttle position and (possibly accelerometer) readings. Driven normally, Sport should react the same as "drive" with slightly higher shift points and a more linear throttle.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Colin
I believe it has little to do with vehicle speed. It is about throttle position and (possibly accelerometer) readings. Driven normally, Sport should react the same as "drive" with slightly higher shift points and a more linear throttle.
yep, that's been my experience. I was just noting that typically I see it shift between 30-35mph, but that's likely due to how I specifically manage the throttle in most situations.

My drive to work does give me lots of different conditions where I get to see how the car reacts. From hills to windy turns, to straight long shots to on-ramp/off-ramp interstate to back-to-back traffic.