Sport Hybrid DCT

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:37 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Sport Hybrid DCT

I dropped my car off at the dealership because of front suspension noise. They gave me a TLX with the 8 speed DCT. It shifts a lot faster then my PWS. Does the sport hybrid RLX shift fast in sport mode? I would assume so since it is also a DCT. This is the first time trying out a DCT transmission which I like a lot.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:44 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by wilspainar
I dropped my car off at the dealership because of front suspension noise. They gave me a TLX with the 8 speed DCT. It shifts a lot faster then my PWS. Does the sport hybrid RLX shift fast in sport mode? I would assume so since it is also a DCT. This is the first time trying out a DCT transmission which I like a lot.
I would say the DCT7 in the SH is more like the DCT8 in the TLX than the more traditional 6speed in the RLX PAWS. It is quick and progressive and blends very smoothly with the stop / start behavior of the SH. I find it smoother than Audi's DC offerings (which is what I mostly compared with my SH cross shopping).
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
pgeorg (03-16-2017), wilspainar (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 10:33 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
The KC2 DCT7 is indeed a fast shifter, but I find it kind of a hard shifter, especially in Sport Mode.

Personal opinion, I suppose. :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
pgeorg (03-16-2017), wilspainar (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 10:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 15 Posts
I haven't driven a PAWS RLX, but I would echo that the SH DC is smoother than others that I've driven. Also, when you have it in Sport mode it is a very significant change in the profile with the transmission downshifting twice as fast as when in the normal mode.... one highway on-ramp I utilize always requires me to "stomp the pedal" and when I have it in the Sport mode it downshifts several gears in about half the time, making for a safer merge into traffic.
I was complaining in a previous thread about having to "re-learn" the push button and searching for the various buttons, like the Sport button, but I am now wondering if I utilize the paddle shifters while in Normal Drive mode will it automatically put me in Sport Mode?
Hmmmmm, I'm gonna have to try that later!
The following users liked this post:
wilspainar (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
mqs1: It will not put the car in sport mode. It will still shift slower then when in Sport mode, and goes back to automatic mode after a few seconds. It does help a little to use the paddles, then to wait for the kick down....

Wilspainar: The TLX 8 speed DCT utilizes a torque converter, so the shifts will be very smooth. I do not know of another DCT that uses a torque converter also..... The SH 7 speed DCT utilizes an electric motor, and in Eco mode it is extremely smooth almost like an automatic. Use the Sport button, and it changes character completely. It can have hard shifts, but they are extremely quick especially on multiple downshifts. Rev matching helps that a lot.
The following 4 users liked this post by pgeorg:
hondamore (03-16-2017), mqs1 (03-16-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (03-17-2017), wilspainar (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I rarely use Sport Mode. Even less with the paddles. The transmission is so fast, I don't see the need to use them. I prefer the Eco (non-Sport mode), and ride the torque waves. Rarely do I feel the need to get into the throttle more than half way, even when merging into traffic. There is so much reserve power that only occasionally do I give it all the beans in Sport mode. However when I do, it is a lot of fun!
The following 3 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
JSakaBuck (03-16-2017), pgeorg (03-16-2017), wilspainar (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 04:47 PM
Intermediate

"ride the torque waves"...... groovy!
I agree that the Sport mode is rarely necessary. But the rev matching is so dang cool I will put it in Sport just so I can hear it. The RLX is not my daily driver so it only gets driven maybe 2-3x a week so I like to put it in Sport and it puts a smile on my face EVERY time and now find myself grabbing for the keys (fob - doesn't sound as cool) more and more. Gonna take it to Aspen next week for no other reason than having the pleasure of driving it and power up the brutal I-70 mountains like its the plains of Kansas and carve up the twisties. Can't wait!
The following 4 users liked this post by mqs1:
fsmith (03-16-2017), Malibu Flyer (03-16-2017), pgeorg (03-16-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 07:17 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by mqs1
"ride the torque waves"...... groovy!
It's all fun and games until Bobby finds the Tiki idol, then Greg wipes out on a fourteen inch wave. Before you know it a tarantula attacks Jan. Now Alice doing the Hula? THAT's Groovy.

..the rev matching is so dang cool I will put it in Sport just so I can hear it.
Me too, Me too! I recently passed a deputy friend who was assisting a disabled vehicle on the side of the road. I blipped the throttle just as I passed him to see if there would be a reaction. Moments later I got a text 'that was YOU??? It sounded like an exotic'. He regularly texts me when spotting exotic cars. As he puts it 'with gov't work I gotta dream'.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
fsmith (03-17-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 07:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
It's all fun and games until Bobby finds the Tiki idol, then Greg wipes out on a fourteen inch wave. Before you know it a tarantula attacks Jan. Now Alice doing the Hula? THAT's Groovy.

Me too, Me too! I recently passed a deputy friend who was assisting a disabled vehicle on the side of the road. I blipped the throttle just as I passed him to see if there would be a reaction. Moments later I got a text 'that was YOU??? It sounded like an exotic'. He regularly texts me when spotting exotic cars. As he puts it 'with gov't work I gotta dream'.
I do wonder what it sounds like when we are flying with the afterburners. Video won't do it justice.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:47 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
I do wonder what it sounds like when we are flying with the afterburners. Video won't do it justice.
You got the GoPro. try a few locations up front and the rear. You mission, if you decide to accept it....
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 07:25 AM
Racer

I have to go test drive one of these now.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wilspainar
I have to go test drive one of these now.
Plan on buying one. If you don't love it, I'd be shocked. When you do, try accelerating many different ways. By that I mean, roll into the throttle from a stop on eco mode. Get up to around 40mph and then roll into the throttle in eco mode. From the same speed gun it in eco mode. Again now in sport mode. (big difference from a transmission perspective) From a stop after the transmission fluid is warmed, put it in sport mode, brake hold, and M1 with the shift paddles, then simply hit the gas and enjoy. Merge on to a highway in both sport and eco modes, not gunning it (roll into the throttle). Then do the same thing giving it all the beans in both modes. Experience driving it uphill and accelerating in both modes. Then take it into turns and enjoy the active yaw control of the power train. Watch the heads up display and/or the center screen displaying how the power is being distributed to all 4 wheels in real time. Here is a trick, on a deserted road, just whipsaw the steering wheel back and forth and watch the rear ev motors compensate for that steering action. I could go on... Enjoy!
The following 3 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
JSakaBuck (03-23-2017), pgeorg (03-17-2017), wilspainar (03-17-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:12 AM
Intermediate

Drove it up to Vail on Monday (a warm 80 in Denver / 60 in Vail) and on the climb up I70 towards Eisenhower Tunnel (5-6 degree incline?) I was going a very easy 70 mph and it was probably running at about 2800 rpm and then on an open straight stretch I punched it to 80mph and the DCT downshifted with rpm at about 3800 and the rear batteries kicking in to add some additional "boost", all seamless and jump up to 80 was very quick. The battery didn't last very long and it soon stopped providing power, however, I did not feel any drop in power/boost/energy at a constant 80. I hit traffic so dropped it back down to 70. Luscious!
I was trying to gauge when the battery pack would engage / disengage when going up a long uphill but with traffic and such it was hard to gauge accurately. Regardless, it was seamless. I'll keep a closer eye on it when I head up to Aspen as soon as I see a few days of sun there in the forecast.
It was such a stress free drive. Only other time I can remember having such an easy drive was in a Range Rover Sport Supercharge which also powered up those mountains like a champ.
The following 6 users liked this post by mqs1:
hondamore (03-23-2017), JSakaBuck (03-23-2017), Limelight (03-23-2017), moose66 (03-23-2017), pgeorg (03-23-2017), wilspainar (03-23-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-23-2017, 11:41 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Drove it up to Vail on Monday (a warm 80 in Denver / 60 in Vail) and on the climb up I70 towards Eisenhower Tunnel (5-6 degree incline?) I was going a very easy 70 mph and it was probably running at about 2800 rpm and then on an open straight stretch I punched it to 80mph and the DCT downshifted with rpm at about 3800 and the rear batteries kicking in to add some additional "boost", all seamless and jump up to 80 was very quick. The battery didn't last very long and it soon stopped providing power, however, I did not feel any drop in power/boost/energy at a constant 80. I hit traffic so dropped it back down to 70. Luscious!
I was trying to gauge when the battery pack would engage / disengage when going up a long uphill but with traffic and such it was hard to gauge accurately. Regardless, it was seamless. I'll keep a closer eye on it when I head up to Aspen as soon as I see a few days of sun there in the forecast.
It was such a stress free drive. Only other time I can remember having such an easy drive was in a Range Rover Sport Supercharge which also powered up those mountains like a champ.
You can burn down the battery reserve relatively quickly, either aggressive acceleration or driving under a strain (mountains), but the recharge is relatively quick, and the software does a dance to determine when to burn or regen energy quite smoothly. That is one of the marvels of this hybrid system.

The best way to determine when the car is using battery power is with the Power Distribution Monitor (in the NAVI screen and / or HUD). Whenever you see blue arrows on the rear wheels, you are using battery power. The forward e-motor also shows power generation, and not necessarily at the same time as rear with the blue arrows on the front wheels. And if the ICE is not on (very slow speeds or in a 40-50 mph steady cruise) you will see only the Blue arrows as power source. To add to the complexity of this system you can have 1, 2, 3 or 4 wheels using battery power (with or without ICE) and you may simultaneously have 1, 2, 3 or 4 wheels regenerating power (with or without the ICE) as indicated with the rear facing green arrows. Particularly driving in twisties, the combinations of power sources, regen sources can be very entertaining....but a bit difficult with eyes on the road.

The combinations, fluidity and dynamic responses this system accomplishes is staggering from a programmatic perspective. Understanding that,and then adding VCM, Vtech and LEV3 / SULEV30 emissions management I still marvel how well integrated it all is. Maybe being an analyst, but I find myself flow charting this car's activity with each subtle sensation - and I get a headache! The cure is just to switch to SPORT, light up all systems and giggle like a schoolgirl.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 03-23-2017 at 11:43 AM.
The following 9 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
fsmith (03-23-2017), George Knighton (03-24-2017), hondamore (03-23-2017), JSakaBuck (03-23-2017), Krlesch (05-08-2017), Limelight (03-23-2017), Malibu Flyer (03-24-2017), pgeorg (03-23-2017), wilspainar (03-23-2017) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Racer

I forgot to ask, in manual sport mode does the transmission stay in gear until you shift yourself? My pws it will up shift in manual sport mode when it gets to redline. On my MDX it will stay in gear until I shift it myself.