The slow burn of jealousy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 09:57 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The slow burn of jealousy?

I have mentioned is my history on the forum my family is entirely Toyota and Lexus owners. One who has a Lexus ES400h, which I have to say is a very nice car and probably the best value of the Lexus lineup, IMHO. All I heard about over family dinners was about Lexus and this car. I do agree, Lexus as a brand is more than Acura, and especially the dealership experience makes you feel like you are an Aston Martin owner.

After riding in my SH a few times and comparing interiors, space & features, (for nearly two years now) the bragging of the Lexus has drifted more and more to inquiries about the SH. I offered the AZ link to do some research, but alas, he believes the internet is the source of all evil in the world (and to some degree, I agree). Well I finally got a sheepish request to 'check out' my SH in more detail. I let him drive it (a leap of faith not unlike Indiana Jones' challenge to reach the Holy Grail). He returned green and sweaty. I smiled and said 'you found the SPORT button?' Nope. Off for a second drive. Nearly an hour later he returned with some excuse of picking up milk while he was out.

The result is we will have another SH in Tampa Bay - two in the same family. Awaiting arrival of a 2017 SH Advance slate silver / ebony.

*passing out cigars*

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 04-01-2017 at 10:11 AM.
The following 11 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
fsmith (04-01-2017), George Knighton (04-01-2017), hondamore (04-01-2017), Malibu Flyer (04-04-2017), neuronbob (04-01-2017), pgeorg (04-01-2017), R.L. ina TL (04-09-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-01-2017), TSX69 (04-02-2017), wilspainar (04-03-2017), wstr75 (04-01-2017) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
ROFLMAO.

Another has seeeeen the light!
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Ha ha! You drive it, you buy it!
Old 04-01-2017, 11:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Acura owes you commission
Old 04-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I got a generous one included with the delivery of my SH.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:07 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
I have mentioned is my history on the forum my family is entirely Toyota and Lexus owners. One who has a Lexus ES400h, which I have to say is a very nice car and probably the best value of the Lexus lineup, IMHO. All I heard about over family dinners was about Lexus and this car. I do agree, Lexus as a brand is more than Acura, and especially the dealership experience makes you feel like you are an Aston Martin owner.

After riding in my SH a few times and comparing interiors, space & features, (for nearly two years now) the bragging of the Lexus has drifted more and more to inquiries about the SH. I offered the AZ link to do some research, but alas, he believes the internet is the source of all evil in the world (and to some degree, I agree). Well I finally got a sheepish request to 'check out' my SH in more detail. I let him drive it (a leap of faith not unlike Indiana Jones' challenge to reach the Holy Grail). He returned green and sweaty. I smiled and said 'you found the SPORT button?' Nope. Off for a second drive. Nearly an hour later he returned with some excuse of picking up milk while he was out.

The result is we will have another SH in Tampa Bay - two in the same family. Awaiting arrival of a 2017 SH Advance slate silver / ebony.

*passing out cigars*
This needs to stop..today. At least until *I* find my SH.
Do the numbers, if 10-20% of the current SH owners do this insidious redirect, dealers of new & CPO will be impossible to negotiate with on the paltry number of all SHs in the US.
Even if you could persuade corporate to ramp up production.

Maybe I'll wait for the Fit SH-SHAWD...
The following 3 users liked this post by stagefoursurvivor:
pgeorg (04-01-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-01-2017), wilspainar (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 09:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 15 Posts
Ha, she had me at the first drive as well!
I didn't know what to expect when I flew up to Chicago to see the car.... and declined the offer to put a $500 deposit to hold the car for a week until I got there. I even rented a car for a week thinking I'd probably not like it, pass on buying it and just enjoy Chicago....
But alas, we got in the car and drove it for about 15 minutes and it was over. Returned the rental the next day, spent a few days in Chicago and then drove it back.
Just got it tinted so now I'm ready for summer! Love it more every time I drive it.
The following 4 users liked this post by mqs1:
Limelight (04-03-2017), Malibu Flyer (04-04-2017), neuronbob (04-03-2017), pgeorg (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 10:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Like a drug. One hit and you are hooked! Welcome to the club of Sport Hybrid addicts.

I was out this weekend with a friend and we were driving for maybe 5 minutes before he realized this was not a TLX. I never made any mention of the car to see his reaction without pretense. As we pulled away from a stop sign I noticed a smirk on his face as he looked at the power delivery screen. Not long after he asked "is this a TLX?" Once I told him it was an RLX Sport Hybrid, his demeanor changed to that of a high school student. A few minutes later as we were about to turn onto the highway, I told him to hang on. Instead of braking into the turn, I accelerated and the car was planted like Velcro. Then I hit the gas hard enough to drop down only one gear and he said WTF! As I entered the highway at about 60 mph, I simply rolled into the throttle like I always do (in eco mode), and instead of backing off at around 75 mph, I stayed into it at the approximate half throttle application. Once I passed triple digits a few moments later, I coasted back to 75 mph again. He asked if I was flooring it, and I told him that I never passed 3500 rpm or dropped a gear. He was impressed with the extreme turbine smoothness of the engine and the torque delivery. At the end of the day he declared he wanted one. I'll bet he will be on this forum before long as he wants a black/black SH like mine, but in the Advance trim with the extras I don't care about or use.

Like many of us have said. One drive and you will want to buy the car. No salesman will talk you out of it.
The following 3 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
Limelight (04-03-2017), pgeorg (04-03-2017), wilspainar (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 11:30 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by mqs1
...we got in the car and drove it for about 15 minutes and it was over....
This has been a common theme. You drive it - you buy it. Also sounds like an excellent advertising catch phrase....if Acura ever marketed the car.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
I still haven't test driven one yet, wondering if I will have the same reaction.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^^
Yes, you will. Here, friend, just sip on a little more Kool-Aid.....
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
Malibu Flyer (04-04-2017), pgeorg (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by wilspainar
I still haven't test driven one yet, wondering if I will have the same reaction.
take your check book with you...
Old 04-03-2017, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts
Old 04-04-2017, 12:40 AM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Only one way to find out ........ but do have your checkbook handy, you will likely need it!
Old 04-04-2017, 01:31 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Hey Wil,

LOL
Nah, be patient. Wait for the 2018s o_0.
If you've waited this long, what's another year?
Old 04-05-2017, 05:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
You drive it - you buy it.
Or in my case: you drive it - you get more pissed that you could have been driving an SH for less than what you were paying for on your broken-ass PAWS.

The following 3 users liked this post by holografique:
Malibu Flyer (04-10-2017), moose66 (04-06-2017), neuronbob (04-05-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 01:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
That's how I got mine also... My curiosity got me hooked on my dream car
pgeorg (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
"This has been a common theme. You drive it - you buy it."

Is it possible this is a logical fallacy?
As most posters are owners, and owners typically always drive prior to owning.
I did a test drive and I did not buy the car.
The cars seem to sit on lots (46 new, not unavailable) even with very low supply. Are those being taken on test drives?
Just wondering. Hope everyone is enjoying their car.
Looking forward to seeing the next model.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:20 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

^^^ It is an enthusiasts forum. What would your expect. A simple shared statement must be an absolute guarantee to you?

Or perhaps it is more thinly veiled sour grapes. You did not approve of the car, so you need to focus on all the negative attributes to reinforce your personal proclamation? Because you did not approve and buy the car your crusade is to find those who do enjoy it - on an enthusiasts forum - spit in the punch bowl? What contribution is it to negate the spirit shared by a few - does it make you feel better or perhaps you cannot tolerate that there are people who like and enjoy the car. Maybe you can grow out of your own bubble and respect and tolerate there are those who do not agree with you and you can wish the the best without taking a dump.
moose66 (05-03-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 09:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Acura salesmen are not offering it and I suspect don't know as much about the car as we do. If they did, I can't see how someone experiences the drive and does not want it. It is very unique.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Many of the RLX Sport Hybrid owners on this forum also previously owned other Acura models, most recently RL's and TL's. So, when a loyal Acura buyer who already knows about the wonderful reliability and joy of driving that Acura provides, experiences the sensation of the instant torque of the Sport Hybrid RLX's three motor system, it is very common that they drive away owning one. Hence the "you drive it, you buy it" saying. I don't think anyone is guaranteeing that EVERYONE will fall in love with this car instantly, but MOST loyal Acura buyers seem to become enamored quickly because the electric motors provide the instant low-end torque that other Acuras have always lacked.

I should add that even those RLX Sport Hybrid test drivers who are NOT loyal Acura buyers are often surprised by how quickly this car gets off the line without a V8. Another reasons that the RLX Sport Hybrid test drive surpasses expectations and often leads to a sale.

The primary reason the RLX's sit on the lot is because they lack snob appeal and the PAWS versions early problems poisoned the waters for the Sport Hybrid....thus it is hard to get people to go test drive one.

My two cents.

Last edited by hondamore; 05-02-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:41 AM
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Acura salesmen are not offering it and I suspect don't know as much about the car as we do. If they did, I can't see how someone experiences the drive and does not want it. It is very unique.
I can attest to the truth of this statement. I did have representative experience when I went to purchase a 2014 Audi diesel A6. (obviously before VW Dieselgate) I had already put money down on it to hold the car. The dealership was a joint Audi/Acura dealership, and after finding out about Acura being at this site, I just had to drive the SH-AWD. The only one they had was not even for sale, actively, but being driven by the Service Manager. The Acura people were surprised that I was interested in the car, but brought it out for me. The salesman knew little about the car, and didn't know about the Sport button.

I had come with a checkbook in hand, and was surprised that I was going to be able to buy the (certified, not new) Audi for less money than the SH-AWD tech they had. But after the driving both vehicles that day, I wanted the Acura, and the Audi salesman literally reacted with disgust to my decision to make an offer on the Acura. Sadly, the Acura side was not conscious of what was happening with SH-AWD sales at the time, and they did not come close to accepting my offer, but I followed the car, and noted it sold for $47K, 1 year after I made my offer, and my offer had been significantly higher. I was a bit disillusioned by the dealership experience at this Knoxville Acura dealership. But I need to soften this stance, they were extremely polite, and there was no hard sell. The experience was good, I just didn't feel that there knowledgeable about the car, nor the truth about the value of the car at the time.

A bit tangentially, I still am surprised as to the venom still directed at the Sports Hybrid from the automotive press. It continues as an unrelenting recurrence of describing the Sports Hybrid as a failure of execution, and a bad value. (Of course this is still mostly a hangover from the 2014 PAWS suspension problems, but even in the recent Car and Driver article about the new SH MDX they compliment the MDX while referencing the failure of the RLX SH. "The die is cast."

Last edited by sooththetruth; 05-03-2017 at 04:47 AM.
hondamore (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
^^^ that's why i'm not buying into mass media/press hype and take everything they said with grain of salt. Once they set their one track mind to something, doesn't matter what that something great can offer, that something is as good as garbage. Looking at this from another angle, their ignorant is our bless (i'm a glass half full kinda guy). Those that know the RLX SHAWD knows it's true value and why the trigger was pulled in the first place. Despite what the narrow minded nay sayers have to express, Let me tell ya, it's a great catch, there is nothing out there that can come close to what this package (price, value, tech, comfort, satisfaction, safety, toys, savings, etc.) have to offer.
The following 2 users liked this post by psheu:
hondamore (05-03-2017), moose66 (05-03-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 12:12 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^ It is an enthusiasts forum. What would your expect. A simple shared statement must be an absolute guarantee to you?

Or perhaps it is more thinly veiled sour grapes. You did not approve of the car, so you need to focus on all the negative attributes to reinforce your personal proclamation? Because you did not approve and buy the car your crusade is to find those who do enjoy it - on an enthusiasts forum - spit in the punch bowl? What contribution is it to negate the spirit shared by a few - does it make you feel better or perhaps you cannot tolerate that there are people who like and enjoy the car. Maybe you can grow out of your own bubble and respect and tolerate there are those who do not agree with you and you can wish the the best without taking a dump.

Tampa, you are off base.
I am keeping things fact based and actually hope everyone is enjoying their car, as I stated. As you brought it up, I did have a different test drive experience:

Test drive #1: RLX when it first came out, not the SH. Hit bump and car made terrible sound and shudder like a bus or van. At that point I was interested in the car and did not equate that could even be possible in a car with noise protection etc. or top of the line Acura but did leave thinking it felt off until I later learned it was an actual very real issue. If I had needed or wanted a car then I could have made that mistake even after that experience based on brand trust, expectations and marketing materials/specs.

Test Drive #2: Was concerned with slow nav on a new flagship car. Started learning other issues on the forum. Including smelly A/C, hybrid not supplying net net positive torque at what I see as semi normal highway speeds (when that is a big portion of my driving), etc.

Test drive #3: 2016 model, Sales manager told me to avoid the car and reasons why.

Please don't get personal. I have a lot of passion for what the brand was, and is in some areas or to those attached to their cars. I am monitoring the forums etc. to learn and to get a new car when there is one I want in the brand I like (looking for the experience). I saw the accords go down then improve to where today the touring looks like something great. I am hoping the Acura flagship will do the same. Asap. But years later, still eagerly waiting.

Also the consumer/industry ratings, attention to quality detail(issues), and Apple car play are things I would like to see turned around. I also don't care about a hybrid and am very open to one but want all the top of the line luxury features, engineering and a no drama experience. It is not personal. I am disappointed in Acura but also awaiting what is coming next, as the sales manager advised. I also question if the experience is getting better or worse (thin tires that have less of a chance of getting me from A to B come to mind or electric air conditioners that smell).

I don't subscribe to the facts pointing to: "if you drive it you will buy it" and think some may be interestingly experiencing "if you bought it you drove it prior" but a lot of people are actually driving it and not buying.

Would appreciate if you don't make a discussion about a car's attributes or surrounding facts, questions or observations a personal attack.

Hope everyone keeps enjoying their cars.

Last edited by flagship; 05-04-2017 at 12:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by flagship:
demosan (05-04-2017), holografique (05-06-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 07:02 PM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts
Flagship - I respect what you have written above about your personal experiences with the rlx but which model were you test driving? PAWS or SH? I think the general impression here is that the SH is a very different car from the PAWS model. This is reinforced by our members who have owned both models. That is not to say you are not entitled to every and any opinion you have about the car in general but it would be appear a bit strange to speak to the appeal or dynamics of a SH while never having driven one to understand the opinions of those of us who have and own them. If you were testing the SH (which you do not say if you were or not) - like I said you are entitled to feel however you will but I think general consensus is, again, for what the car is it gets its hooks in you early and often when you drive it which results in purchases.

That being said, I have no horse in this particular race since I never test drove my SH (or any other rlx) before buying it sight unseen (except for dealer photos) from about 700 miles away and having it shipped to me. I can tell you that vis a vis the MB e550 (w212) I had immediately prior to my SH, I would take the SH again 100 times out of 100 without any equivocation however.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:01 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by AP8ESQ
Flagship - I respect what you have written above about your personal experiences with the rlx but which model were you test driving? PAWS or SH? I think the general impression here is that the SH is a very different car from the PAWS model. This is reinforced by our members who have owned both models. That is not to say you are not entitled to every and any opinion you have about the car in general but it would be appear a bit strange to speak to the appeal or dynamics of a SH while never having driven one to understand the opinions of those of us who have and own them. If you were testing the SH (which you do not say if you were or not) - like I said you are entitled to feel however you will but I think general consensus is, again, for what the car is it gets its hooks in you early and often when you drive it which results in purchases.

That being said, I have no horse in this particular race since I never test drove my SH (or any other rlx) before buying it sight unseen (except for dealer photos) from about 700 miles away and having it shipped to me. I can tell you that vis a vis the MB e550 (w212) I had immediately prior to my SH, I would take the SH again 100 times out of 100 without any equivocation however.
i also prefer thecwayvthe sh hybrid drives compared to my s550. However in yetms of features the s550 blows away the rlx
Old 05-05-2017, 12:05 AM
Instructor

the way the sh awd drives. I prefer the driving experience to the s550
In terms of features and quality of materials the s550 is in another class.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

After getting a ride in a BMW 550 yesterday evening, I have to compliment the automobile. It was beautiful, well crafted and simply a smaller version of the 7 Series I test drove last summer (I think that was when it was). It was plenty fast for sure. However, I gave the gentleman a ride in the Blackbird, and he declared he was never an Acura fan before, but now he is. I know him well so I felt comfortable giving him the wheel. It was not 50 yards before he smiled ear to ear and said "I have to have one". He is a car guy and has many in his collection. Every one of them are black. I'll bet he gets one soon as a result.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:45 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by flagship
... not supplying net net positive torque at what I see as semi normal highway speeds....
I think I know what you mean about this.

You get used to knowing you have to push the Sport button, or smoothly but quickly put your foot down enough to turn on the ICE.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:49 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by sooththetruth
... describing the Sports Hybrid as a failure of execution, and a bad value.
Failure of execution. Hmmmm. I don't even know what that means. It was their idea to execute and I guess you get it or you don't.

Maybe most people don't, and that's making it a failure.

Bad value is easier to combat and I'm not going to waste time on that.

I agree with Alex Dykes, who found the 2014 KC1 Advance questionable at MSRP, but found the KC2 Advance a significantly better value and, indeed, a good value.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by quartzinterior
the way the sh awd drives. I prefer the driving experience to the s550
In terms of features and quality of materials the s550 is in another class.
Agreed wholehearedly when compared to an S class but then again the S class starts at what? 30k more than a RLX Advance? My point was not to demean any opinion but to compare apples to apples (i.e. experience with testing a SH to the statements here about SH ownership and not comparing SH to PAWS). In my view comparing SH to PAWS will not yield much factual basis to form an opinion as to either. We can go on and on about the features of this car versus that one but should try to keep the comparables factually on par. For example, RLX lacks features that S class has which in and of itself cannot be compared to a RR Phantom. All three are great machines but reside in their own league which, in my view, the SH and PAWS do as well although technically the "same" car.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Instructor

Agreed wholehearedly when compared to an S class but then again the S class starts at what? 30k more than a RLX Advance? My point was not to demean any opinion but to compare apples to apples (i.e. experience with testing a SH to the statements here about SH ownership and not comparing SH to PAWS). In my view comparing SH to PAWS will not yield much factual basis to form an opinion as to either. We can go on and on about the features of this car versus that one but should try to keep the comparables factually on par. For example, RLX lacks features that S class has which in and of itself cannot be compared to a RR Phantom. All three are great machines but reside in their own league which, in my view, the SH and PAWS do as well although technically the "same" car.
in my opinion the rlx advance hybrid at about half the price of my s 550 is a lot more than half the car.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by quartzinterior
in my opinion the rlx advance hybrid at about half the price of my s 550 is a lot more than half the car.
Not to mention the maintenance is a hell of a lot cheaper which contributes to the overall value. As much as I used to love paying for those $300 oil changes for the E class - I can live with the $80 for the same at Acura.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:01 AM
Instructor

Not to mention the maintenance is a hell of a lot cheaper which contributes to the overall value. As much as I used to love paying for those $300 oil changes for the E class - I can live with the $80 for the same at Acura.
i got prepaid maintenance rolled into the lease. I leased the s550 as maintenance and repairs are absurd on german cars
Old 05-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

An enthusiast forum is just that - a place for people who are enthusiastic about cars, and in this case...Acura cars. And I think it's fair to say enthusiasm can go both ways, enthusiasm for a great product, or enthusiasm to see a company do better (especially when we know they can do better). I've had my share of both on this forum.

Personally, I saw nothing wrong with flagship's honest feedback, and welcome members to continue to share their opinions, be it for...or against Acura. At the end of the day, companies can't improve in a meaningful way unless there is open and honest dialogue from their customers. And I think everyone here on this forum is owed the courtesy to express just that.

The fact remains the RLX as a whole was not a successful product for Acura, period. Those that "get it" or are happy with it are in the far minority compared to those who were not satisfied with it (like me), or those who simply didnt even consider it. The net outcome is the entire "RLX" product has done more harm to the brand than good, and that's nobody's fault but Honda/Acura for rushing a product that should have had near the same care and attention to detail as the Gen 2 NSX product release has had. And while some may argue that the RLX SH is a "niche" vehicle for the Honda loyalist that "get's it, I would argue that the last time I checked, Acura was not in the position of brand status, industry reputation or financial success to afford wasting dollars and resources on such niche products, especially when they aren't executed to the degree that they should have been for the retail selling price and position of said product (a flagship vehicle).
RLX-Sport Hybrid (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 01:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
The Flagship

I think Acura proceeded with the RLX knowing that it would not be as catchy as they had hoped and that it was really a bridge vehicle to address the shortcomings of the outgoing and dated RL before re-establishing itself as a performance (1st) luxury (2nd) brand. At that time, the major criticisms in 2012 surrounding the RL was that it had a small back seat, dated infotainment, and grafted styling on a body that dated to 2005. Otherwise, the complaints about the RL's performance and driving experience where relatively minor. So, they utilize the frame and chassis from the largest Accord to date, the 8th gen (also utilized by the outgoing TL), and begin the rebranding process. To my knowledge it was the only chassis capable of housing the new direct-injected 3.5 motor and the additional hybrid hardware.

They cleaned-up the styling (to a very vanilla degree), addressed the seating complaints, add the best (but slightly untested) two-screen infotainment, and introduce a new hybrid drivetrain which really should have debuted on the NSX first. Hopefully, while providing what is really an underrated car, they can develop the new chassis in this time allotted for the Precision Concept (future WLX) with a FR layout (or at least longitudinal motor mounting), true performance drivetrain, and styling that appeals to the masses. The timing could have been better, but I don't regret the purchase of my '16 Sport Hybrid and will likely be driving it for the next 10 years...
The following 2 users liked this post by Bellanova:
hondamore (05-06-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 04:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bellanova
I think Acura proceeded with the RLX knowing that it would not be as catchy as they had hoped.
This isn't the first time this has been said, and is something I completely (and respectfully) disagree with.

If you go back and look at all the marketing and posturing that Acura was doing in 2012 prior to the release of the 2014 PAWS RLX (released in early 2013), you'll see it was anything BUT proceeding in some highly cautious or reserved manner. From the marketing brochures to the press releases, etc, it showed they had every intent and hope for it to be successful in becoming the true Acura flagship showcasing the best of the best that Acura had to offer. Plus with a car of this class, and being the most expensive product Acura had for sale at the time, no company goes in positioning a product like that with a reserved forecast on sales and market acceptance. Acura was already suffering from horrible sales on the 4th-gen TL. It would have made no sense for them to put out a flagship vehicle that was planned for low volume sales.

The problem ended up being the poor execution on the early 2014 PAWS builds and complete misalignment of features for a car in it's class at the MSRP it sold for upon launch. The MDX had more features and value than the RLX PAWS did, at less the cost. It also lacked features it's competitors had. But worst of all, the quality control was horrendous and caught many people off-guard based on the companies history and reputation for quality and value, especially for long-time loyalists like me (30-years of Honda in the family). The entry level vehicles (ILX, RDX) had better build quality than the first RLXs, you simply can't have that type of extreme polar opposites in comparisons. Some of the TSBs on the early 2014's were clear signs of poor leadership, management and just flat out laziness, all at the expense of paying customers at a premium price. You can't have those types of problems at the onset of a new product release, and especially not with a flagship, otherwise it's a complete uphill battle the rest of the way, and in many cases a merciless uphill battle with critics.

It's been said plenty of times before, the RLX SH is a completely different car compared to the PAWS, however, to the average consumer and the market, the RLX is the RLX. If the SH had been released at the same time as the PAWS (or the PAWS not having been released at all), then I think the story would have unfolded in a completely different way.
The following 2 users liked this post by holografique:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (05-06-2017), wilspainar (05-08-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 04:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov...ubles-20121128

You can clearly see they were hoping for not only a success, but for a product that would "define the brand"...after being in an identity crisis for several years already up to that point.

The RLX was not produced intentionally to be a niche product. It has become a niche product as a result of it's failure. And the ones truly benefiting from it's failure are either the unwavering loyalists or the occassional shopper looking to take advantage of the incredible value that you can now get as a result of the highly aggressive discounting required by the dealers to get the vehicles off their inventory.
The following 2 users liked this post by holografique:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (05-06-2017), wilspainar (05-08-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 07:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Excellent posts Holografique! Very well said!
Old 05-06-2017, 09:24 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

The topic of the thread was to highlight a 2 SH family. And a transition from a very loyal Lexus family. It was not to proclaim the success or failure of the car. I think the word 'jealousy' go to a few people who needed to build a case of the cars failure of market acceptance. That was not the purpose of the thread.

That reaction draws out people who were not pleased, satisfied or drawn to only successful models. And that reaction is not the purpose of the thread.

Done.
hondamore (05-06-2017)