Sending An E-Mail Calls My Car From Me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 04:45 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Sending An E-Mail Calls My Car From Me?

I've never seen this before. Sitting in my car in my driveway with the car running but in Park, and the radio on, I sent an e-mail with my iPhone. This caused the car Bluetooth system to grab the radio and briefly display a call from my cell number. No ringing, just a displayed call from me. After displaying the call info for about two seconds, it beeped as it would if it lost the call, and went back to playing the radio. Repeated with the same result. This definitely does not happen when I receive e-mails on my phone. Anyone ever see this? Can anyone explain it? (As usual, I'm looking at you, pgeorg!)
Old 05-16-2018, 05:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
  1. The NSA is monitoring you.
  2. Apple is "not" collecting data on your usage of your device
  3. The system got confused and malfunctioned momentarily
The following users liked this post:
fsmith (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 06:42 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
I have not experienced this personally but I suspect it's just another gremlin in the RLX system which will most likely resolve itself by turning the vehicle off and back on again.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:53 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Limelight
I have not experienced this personally but I suspect it's just another gremlin in the RLX system which will most likely resolve itself by turning the vehicle off and back on again.
No, still there after a restart.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
The only time this will happen, is when you have an app setting to use bluetooth as a phone call.

Examples are, Google maps, Waze, etc.

I would guess that something else is being accessed while you're sending the email........

I am thinking some setting from accessibly, that would have to do with voice.....

I would try to delete the phone from the cars bluetooth, and the cars bluetooth from the iPhone.

Then reconnect, and see if it still happens.....

Also it it really bothers you, then I would reset all settings on the iPhone. (Settings-General-Reset-All settings).

This will not erase the iPhone, just bring back all settings to default. (very tedious to restore all your preferred settings, though)

Thats all I got for you fsmith
The following 2 users liked this post by pgeorg:
fsmith (05-17-2018), Limelight (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 05:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by pgeorg
The only time this will happen, is when you have an app setting to use bluetooth as a phone call.

Examples are, Google maps, Waze, etc.

I would guess that something else is being accessed while you're sending the email........

I am thinking some setting from accessibly, that would have to do with voice.....

I would try to delete the phone from the cars bluetooth, and the cars bluetooth from the iPhone.

Then reconnect, and see if it still happens.....

Also it it really bothers you, then I would reset all settings on the iPhone. (Settings-General-Reset-All settings).

This will not erase the iPhone, just bring back all settings to default. (very tedious to restore all your preferred settings, though)

Thats all I got for you fsmith
I've looked for a settings connection between sending e-mail and Bluetooth but find nothing. Since I don't send e-mail while driving, and since the consequence is only momentarily distracting, I'm not going to pursue it by messing up my settings. But I found it really strange and was hoping someone could explain it more as a matter of intellectual curiosity than as a need to get it solved. It's not anywhere near as annoying or frequent as the problem with losing your Bluetooth phonebook because you have contact images on your phone, which apparently will not be solved by either Acura or Apple (though I avoided it by removing my contact photos)!
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (05-17-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 07:54 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by fsmith
...I sent an e-mail with my iPhone. This caused the car Bluetooth system to grab the radio and briefly display a call from my cell number.
If your iPhone is somehow activated for something, even on accident, the iPhone and the car communicate through Bluetooth in order to allow you to use the car's microphone overhead instead of the iPhone's microphone.

If you say, "Hey SIRI, send a message to so and so," the iPhone will hook up to listen via the overhead microphone in the car.

I do not know why it's set up to do this, but this is what happens every time I do something in my car that involves the iPhone.

Even if I'm using the button on the steering wheel to say to call somebody in the contact list, it'll connect and turn on the overhead microphone before it does anything else.

It's a minor annoyance to me, but not a big deal.

It'll look like a phone call because the big HANG UP notice is on the NAV screen.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Well this just happened to me, while I was starting the ALP (Anti Laser) app on the iPhone.

This never happened before, and I believe it started since the last iOS update. I have not used the app since then, and it never did this before

It will not do it, if I send an email though.....

I will check other apps, to see if it happens again.