View Poll Results: RLX Sport Hybrid or MDX Sport Hybrid?
RLX Sport Hybrid
34.78%
MDX Sport Hybrid
26.09%
"F it" just get a NSX 2.0 and be done with it
17.39%
Why are you getting an Acura again? None of above
21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

A second RLX Sport Hybrid, or a MDX Sport Hybrid?

Old 03-31-2017, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
A second RLX Sport Hybrid, or a MDX Sport Hybrid?

A poll for the fun of RLX owners and enthusiasts. Nothing serious. The thought comes from this:

It's almost time for me to choose, folks. My lease is up at the end of October. Acura typically allows offers a pull-ahead to another Acura three months early to encourage loyalty. I've had an intermittent issue with my car that is causing me to push the envelope and consider trading out a little earlier if I can make it work financially. Acura Financial has some nice perks for those choosing to lease another Acura, chief among them miles transfer; I've used a touch over 22k of my 36k allowance, as I drove the car less than I thought I would.

I've already test-driven some nice non-Acura metal.....Dodge Durango R/T (amazeballs-sounding stock exhaust, can tow NSX on a U-Haul trailer if I need it to, drives decently, maxed out with entertainment center/Blu-Ray and all self-driving bells and whistles discounts to mid-$40s from a MSRP in the low $50's---a great deal, but that Chrysler reliability ), Maserati Ghibli SQ4 ( god that car looks and sounds gorgeous, great handling, but that Maserati reliability ), Tesla Model X (really, really expensive, really fast, reasonable room, but that Tesla reliability ), Honda Accord Touring (you guys already know how much I the 9G Accord, Honda-reliable, but I'd miss SH-AWD)

So would would RLXzine do?

I genuinely like the RLX Sport Hybrid and use it as my inclement weather daily driver, but I don't use it for road trips because of the smallish trunk space. The MDX Sport Hybrid has more room, obviously, so I can take it on our regular family road trips, and with better mileage than the wife's Mommymobile.

However: my preferred dealer has a 2016 Sport Hybrid in my preferred combo, that's now well into their floor space costs; I've been tracking it since November and it's still there. Should I pounce, I can get a really great deal. Since we know there are no major changes other than the grille coming to the RLX for the foreseeable future, it's likely a safe bet. I haven't pounced only because Acura are still mulling over what to do with my RLX. Now, the MDX Sport Hybrid appears, and the price is surprisingly not bad at all. I am really pleasantly surprised! Other than the inability to tow, the MDX seems like a good entry and so I'm strongly considering it.

So what would you guys choose of those two, and why? I'm not fully vested in my own decision as I've got several months to go before I can act on it. There's also a non-zero likelihood that I'll say "f it" and just *buy* a NSX 2.0 and daily it....but it's not likely.

Again....the poll is just for fun, now that the MDX Sport Hybrid has finally made an appearance.

Last edited by neuronbob; 03-31-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Wink Variety

Personally, I think that either is a good buy. If I were you, I would get the MDX hybrid bc the RLX is pretty much the same as what you already have. If the RLX had the MMC, then I would consider it. To me, no reason to lease the same car twice - might as well buy. The MDX will give you some variety & when that lease is up, you can get the MMC or FMC RLX.

On the other hand, the main reason I would choose an RLX is exclusivity. I rarely see RLXs on the road (have yet to see a hybrid). However, I see MDXs everywhere.

The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
I prefer a car for myself, instead of a SUV.

I also have a 2014 MDX SH-AWD for the wife, but I drive that daily around town.

The RLX is a much better built and much higher quality vehicle. I can only compare it to the regular MDX, and not the SH MDX.....

I also don't think that the driving dynamics will be as good in the MDX as in the RLX......

Personal opinion, go with a 2016 RLX SH-AWD......
neuronbob (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 11:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I voted for another RLX Sport Hybrid. If you still have the wagon for hauling/towing and the NSX for racing, the RLX Sport Hybrid seems to be the perfect daily driver to get you to and from work every day in comfort and safety (even on those snowy winter mornings) while still allowing some "Sport Mode Fun Time" during your commute. Now that there are some pretty amazing deals to be had, you can continue to enjoy the RLX Sport Hybrid daily driver at a fraction of the monthly payment of your early adopter deal. While the MDX Sport Hybrid will certainly check off the daily driver needs, I just don't think it would be as much fun to drive (handling, acceleration, cornering) as the RLX Sport Hybrid. Now, if, by some strange circumstance, you decide to sell the V-wagon, then the MDX Sport Hybrid would be the perfect daily driver and hauler.

Alternatively, you could try to swing a deal for your existing Sport Hybrid (ONLY IF the "going into limp mode" issue is completely fixed) and save the extra money for your kids' college fund or your early retirement fund. Hey, we all have to be sensible and pragmatic some of the time.

Good luck with your deliberations and choice.
neuronbob (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 11:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Final point regarding the MDX Sport Hybrid... Considering the timing of getting into an MDX Sport Hybrid, you are going to be in early adopter territory with pricing and with putting up with the "first year glitches" all over again. I wonder if they would "extend" your current lease at about 1/3 of the current payment for a year or so and then you could see what the future holds for the RLX or get into a 2019 MY MDX Sport Hybrid??

I will also agree with pgeorg's comments on build quality...RLX>>MDX.
Bergalicious (02-06-2018)
Old 03-31-2017, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 15 Posts
What other car(s) in your stable? I assume its a larger vehicle for longer road trips that your avoid with your SH?
I drove a 2016 MDX loaner and found it very refined but still ponderous for "me" as I prefer a lighter, sportier and buttoned down ride.
If you go for the MDX it'll be a completely different driving dynamic than the RLX..... and I suspect you'll miss it..... although you won't miss the suspension clunk (geez Louise Acura, how hard can it be to fix this? Although I suspect they know but won't do it otherwise they'll have hoards (such as it is) of RLX owners saying their original shocks were defective and demand a recall, which is what I'd do if I had an older RLX)
I voted for you to stay in the RLX family.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

mqs1, you must have signature reading turned off. I have two "fun cars", a 6MT CTS-V wagon (1 of 513 6MT V wagons in existence, 1 of 42 in my color, über-rare unobtainium unicorn, fun as hell to drive, and--surprise!--reliable) and my early NA2 NSX-T. We also have my wife's "Mommymobile", a '16 Buick Enclave. We use the Enclave for road trips currently .

Originally Posted by hondamore
Final point regarding the MDX Sport Hybrid... Considering the timing of getting into an MDX Sport Hybrid, you are going to be in early adopter territory with pricing and with putting up with the "first year glitches" all over again. I wonder if they would "extend" your current lease at about 1/3 of the current payment for a year or so and then you could see what the future holds for the RLX or get into a 2019 MY MDX Sport Hybrid??

I will also agree with pgeorg's comments on build quality...RLX>>MDX.
Oh yes, beta-testing. That's one point in favor of a '16 RLX Sport Hybrid, and there are several nationwide now in my favored color combo, yay! If I extend the lease on this car, I might as well buy it. Could be worth it, but Acura likely isn't going to change the RLX beyond a MMC for several more years. Might as well get into one that I'm not beta-testing.

Last edited by neuronbob; 03-31-2017 at 12:07 PM.
hondamore (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 12:20 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
2016? MDX Hybrid

I've never given much more than a passing glance at any SUV, too big & high. Plus DW isn't wild about SUVs either. OTOH, I've been driving Volvo wagons forever due to their versatility and low-slung stance.
I am surprised to learn they've "dialed back" the power on the MDX Hybrid compared to the RLX. This does strike me as odd since many would prefer the ability to tow a small/medium load.
The most compelling reason for us about the RLX Hybrid is what's under the sheet metal, agility, economy, power. The exterior is sedate and understated, the wolf in sheepskin.
We all have different influences in making these choices.
I didn't know the MDX Hybrid was available as a Hybrid
Old 03-31-2017, 01:07 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
Where've you been ? The MDX Sport Hybrid was announced last year and is finally being released shortly.

I'm wasn't much of a SUV person, either, but I have evolved. The MDX with SH-AWD is pretty entertaining to drive as far as SUVs go. It far outhandles my wife's Enclave, which itself is no slouch.....except in the turns. Let's just say......I drove from Cleveland to Disney World last week. I enjoyed I-77 in the mountains of West Virginia in my NSX when I made the same drove to Orlando in November, for NSXPO. Wheeeeeeeeeeee! In the Enclave last week? "Oh god, not another decreasing radius turn....must....turn....steering....wheel....harde r.....without....tipping....over...." I can only imagine how it would go with eSH-AWD, I could probably take the turns at a higher speed than in my NSX. Speaking of which.....I should take a daytrip to West Virginia in the RLX specifically to drive the twisties....
Old 03-31-2017, 01:27 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
^^^^
Where've you been ? The MDX Sport Hybrid was announced last year and is finally being released shortly.

I'm wasn't much of a SUV person, either, but I have evolved. The MDX with SH-AWD is pretty entertaining to drive as far as SUVs go. It far outhandles my wife's Enclave, which itself is no slouch.....except in the turns. Let's just say......I drove from Cleveland to Disney World last week. I enjoyed I-77 in the mountains of West Virginia in my NSX when I made the same drove to Orlando in November, for NSXPO. Wheeeeeeeeeeee! In the Enclave last week? "Oh god, not another decreasing radius turn....must....turn....steering....wheel....harde r.....without....tipping....over...." I can only imagine how it would go with eSH-AWD, I could probably take the turns at a higher speed than in my NSX. Speaking of which.....I should take a daytrip to West Virginia in the RLX specifically to drive the twisties....
I Knew the MDX Hybrid was announced but, it seemed you were referring to this 2016 you're eyeing was a Hybrid
Old 03-31-2017, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by stagefoursurvivor
I Knew the MDX Hybrid was announced but, it seemed you were referring to this 2016 you're eyeing was a Hybrid
Oh, I see! My dealer has a leftover 2016 RLX Sport Hybrid that I've been eyeing.
stagefoursurvivor (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 02:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
did a little searching on why most hybrids have reduced towing capacity. Apparently its due to certain situations whereby regen braking is not available (long downhill) as well as reduced battery charge to where EV assist is not available and then only ICE can accelerate
The following 4 users liked this post by getakey:
hondamore (03-31-2017), neuronbob (03-31-2017), pgeorg (03-31-2017), wstr75 (04-11-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 04:34 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Will it be your daily driver? As a daily driver would you be happy with the MDX considering your spirited driving style? It is a very capable CUV, but it is no sport sedan. I love the MDX myself (and the RDX) but not as my primary driver. You already have some utility with the CTS wagon and the wifey's Buick. And how often do you need to tow the NSX? Would not a rental tow be more efficient than buying a vehicle based on X uses per year? But we buy SUVs and CUVs and never take them off road and only to the grocery market.

But if you do decide on the MDX, and I assume lease 3 years, the next gen RLX should be out and hopefully in it's second year without the 1st year nags.

You deserve what you seek. But with an NSX, CTS-VWagon, an RLX SH and a happy healthy family (not in that order) I do not think any decision you make will detract from the blessings your have.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 03-31-2017 at 04:49 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
David Reznick (03-31-2017), Limelight (03-31-2017), neuronbob (03-31-2017), pgeorg (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 05:30 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
Will it be your daily driver? As a daily driver would you be happy with the MDX considering your spirited driving style? It is a very capable CUV, but it is no sport sedan. I love the MDX myself (and the RDX) but not as my primary driver. You already have some utility with the CTS wagon and the wifey's Buick. And how often do you need to tow the NSX? Would not a rental tow be more efficient than buying a vehicle based on X uses per year? But we buy SUVs and CUVs and never take them off road and only to the grocery market.

But if you do decide on the MDX, and I assume lease 3 years, the next gen RLX should be out and hopefully in it's second year without the 1st year nags.

You deserve what you seek. But with an NSX, CTS-VWagon, an RLX SH and a happy healthy family (not in that order) I do not think any decision you make will detract from the blessings your have.
Very good advice and message. Agree 100%.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:11 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I can't decide.

No idea what my next car will be.

I am less impressed by the NSX Sport Hybrid than I thought I would be. It's a bit cramped, and I've got used to ACC and a few other things that don't seem to be available on the NSX at any price. (And...uh...speaking of price....!!)

Buying another sedan Sport Hybrid, I'd wait to 2020 for the full model redesign.

Also...downgrading to something small and fun with a manual transmission is something to think about, maybe down to a Civic or even a Fit.

I dunno. :-) I like driving and could drive anything.

And another thing: I have to admit that both Cadillac and Lincoln are doing things that've turned my head. I hate to vote for why are you getting another Acura, but it might depend on 2020 AD and what Honda have done with the Sport Hybrid in that model year.

Don't tell anybody but the new Lincoln Continental has torque vectoring on the rear wheels.
The following 4 users liked this post by George Knighton:
neuronbob (04-01-2017), pgeorg (04-01-2017), stagefoursurvivor (04-01-2017), TacoBello (04-03-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Tough one here. I know as soon as I buy a car, I see something else that catches my eye. For some reason, I have gravitated to hybrids. The RLX is is my third hybrid car in an row after having a 2010 and 2013 Lexus GSh. I also currently own a Lexus RXh. I like the extra power and the uniqueness. I haven't taken the RLX in for any service yet, but whenever I took the GSh in, it was like a one man car show. Everyone would come out drooling over the car talking about how rare it was to see one. I just smiled and went about my way.

Plenty of non-Honda/Acura options. I like many of those already mentioned. Audi seems to be pushing out some nice rides. I am sort of surprised not much is said on this site about Infiniti. Maybe for good reason! That new Continental, as someone mentioned, is worth exploring. At what do you think about Giulia? Maybe too small, and first run reliability may be questionable. It certainly looks like it would be fun in some twisties.

By the way, I voted for the MDX. Towing capabilities aside, it should be a sweet ride!

Last edited by moose66; 04-02-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Added Text
Old 04-02-2017, 08:45 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
So I don't often post but this is an intriguing question: the practicality of the MDX or the fun of the RLX SH? We have a PAWS 2016 RLX solely because we take a lot of long trips and need the trunk space. After 24xxx miles I can say that it's the most comfortable cruising car I've ever owned and we have had zero problems so far. We just finished a trip around Florida visiting friends and put 2000 miles on the car with an overall 29.0 mpg, not bad for a 4000lb car. The adjustment Acura made to the '16 my have made this the car that should have been there when it was introduced in '14. I think you'll like the differences in the 16-17my if you decide you can live with the small trunk.
The MDX would be my choice if I were in your shoes. You've already had an RLX-SH. An MDX will be a different experience. In my mind "too many cars out there too little time to try them all." It will have the economy and interior room to match or exceed the RLX. And it's not off the wall expensive and should have reasonable reliability. You have the CTS-V for OMG power and speed and the NSX for handling and cool factor.
One of the friends we visited in FLA just got Maserati Ghibli SQ4. Nice car and great sound but I don't think it has anything on the CTS-V and is quite a bit smaller. It's definitely a sports sedan and not a long distance cruiser ( and doesn't like being all that far from the dealer.)
The following 4 users liked this post by old coastie:
moose66 (04-03-2017), neuronbob (04-03-2017), pgeorg (04-03-2017), wstr75 (04-11-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts
Neither. Sort of. My $0.02 >> Acura cars have been buggy in first year for a few generations of a few models. Take, for instance, the 2017 Hybrid MDX .... which was announced last fall but still not in dealer showrooms yet. Or all the TSB's on '14 RLX, and near absense of a '15 RLX. Or the Transmission 9-speed in the TLX. This has created a "Consumer Reports" problem for Acura, which hurts resale for all of us. Acura seems to be getting on top of this, and the new generations of Hondas have been great (Civic, Ridgeline, etc). But the jury is still out.So I'd negotiate to extend your lease on the RLX and wait 7 months for the 2018 model year, and then buy an MDX. Or turn back the RLX and enjoy your CTS wagon. (Please LMK is you ever sell the CTS wagon....I'm not in market this year but one day...).

Or ... make a super low offer but credible on your Sport Hybrid .... say $15K below Edmunds private sale value, and sell it yourself while you wait for the 18 MDX to get here.

Then... wait a few years for the Acura Precison Concept car to arrive >> sell me the CTS, and by 2019 you'll end up with hauler MDX, cruiser Precison Concept; and Speed Freak NSX.

My opionion .... YMMV!
Old 04-03-2017, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^
NEVAR selling the V, or at least not giving it up for a while longer. There's no direct replacement for it other than an AMG E63 S estate....and that's too rich for my blood right now. In my offline life, I'm now up to three unsolicited offers for the V wagon this year.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Bob, any chance of getting into a 2016 RLX SH for a lower lease rate than you are paying now? While the 2016 seems to have some refinements over the 2014, it seems silly to lease the same car without any financial benefit to yourself. Life is too short to not drive as many vehicles as possible

I assume the sport hybrid technology is here to stay with Acura for some time. I can understand leasing a 2G RLX, though that seems to still be a very long time away.

If I were in your shoes, I would return the RLX once the lease expires and would look to the MDX SH. You already have a sport coupe. You already have a tire shredding wagon. Both of those are meant to go fast. Although I would prefer a sedan over an SUV, I would likely try out the SUV as I've already had the sedan for a few years. I get the feeling that you can still have some fun with the MDX- yes, it is taller, has a higher centre of gravity, more body roll... But that doesn't mean it can't be pushed. The one major downfall to the MDX SH is the lack of towing capability, but I assume the RLX SH is no different.

Even if you could tow with the MDX SH, would you really want to? Seeing the fuel economy of my brother's Ridgeline when pulling a small camper behind him, I couldn't help but feel sorry for that engine. It's already moving a heavy vehicle, and now to strap close to 5000 pounds (whatever the tow capacity is... It was near the limit) behind it was just struggling to move and you can watch the fuel gauge plummet. Passing was a struggle. That engine was totally maxed out. Even though you can tow with the standard MDX SH-AWD... I'm not sure that you would want to on a regular basis.

As I see it, you already have two very capable high performance vehicles to fill your desires whenever you so choose. The MDX SH is the sportiest version of a very popular SUV. While I'm sure the ergonomics of the RLX are very good, I can't imagine you would be losing much by switching to the MDX, in terms of.. Well... Anything. By the end of it, you just get another vehicle to own and drive under your belt.

That is... Unless you can get the 2016 RLX SH at a ridiculous price. Then this becomes a bit muddier.
neuronbob (04-04-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts
This post could not have happened at a more opportune time for me to comment on.
i just dropped off my RLX SH for the front camera replacement. Since I was there I mentioned a nagging thumping sound from the front. They decided to change both front struts. Since they had my car I got a loaner 17 MDX SHAWD tech.
The MDX interior does not match up to the RLX ADV interior. Neither does the ride or the performance. Listening to the ELS I sorely miss the Krell. I am not sure if the MDX comes with Krell. It is a good SUV as far as SUVS go. I would imagine that you will get bored pretty quickly irrespective of whether you get the SH-SHAWD version or not.
Now you mentioned the Ghibli in your original post. If you are leasing why do you worry about long term reliability? It will be fine during the lease. I had a 14 (first model year) s q4. That car was tons of fun to drive and was reliable(for a Maserati). No major issues. It has a well balanced ride and that exhaust note never gets boring. I have heard that they have significantly refined it for the 17 model year. Look into it you will not be disappointed. How about the alfa romeo guilia quadrifoglio? I am not sure if the smaller size is a deterrent. Porsche panamera 4s is also a pretty sweet ride.
my point is that you got tons of choice. By now you probably figured how I voted on your poll!!
Old 04-04-2017, 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator

The SQ4 is definitely a hot Italian car, a hell of a fun drive, and the 2017 has indeed improved significantly compared to your 2014. The key phrase above is "reliable for a Maserati". Then again, I'm dealing with a random electrical gremlin in my first model year Sport Hybrid, so I guess I'm ready for time at the dealership. PS, you can't tell from this post, but I've always loved Masers, they are such a raw expression of Italian automotive emotion.

The Alfa.....I love the idea of the Giulia Quadrifoglio, but I'd love it better if Alfa brought the manual transmission to the U.S. instead of saving the best for Europe. If I could find one to test drive, I would.

As you can tell, I am having lots of fun with test drives.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
moose66 (04-05-2017), pgeorg (04-04-2017)

Search this Thread