Road Trip Observations

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 07:08 AM
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 31 Posts
Road Trip Observations

I recently had the opportunity to drive the RLX-SH from OKC to Austin and back. A down and back road trip. Just some observations.

Didn’t see another RLX PAWS or SH on the road.

Yep, this car makes funny noises in the transition back and forth between electric and ICE at very low speeds. It was kind of weird, I’ve filed it in the idiosyncrasies folder.

The Krell sound system is top notch. The cabin is comfortable, top notch, controls are easily visible. The heads-up display is worth the price of admission.

The infotainment system is klunky, however, the Navigation System worked flawlessly, seemed to know where we were going. Routed me around some toll roads, in a very precise manner.

The drivers seat is comfortable, however, the bottom cushion could use more support, my butt didn’t go numb, or hurt, just not as supportive on a long drive as it could be.

I started the trip with ethylnol free hi-test. Was averaging 31.6 mpg. This is cruising at 78mph. Pretty good gas mileage. Once in Texas I had to start running ethylnol hi-test, mpg dropped to 28.6.

This car is a high speed cruiser. It’s rock steady on the interstate, comfortable, an all-around great ride. It’s got tons of power for passing. I ran it up past 90 on a couple occasions, the car didn’t break a sweat.

I left Austin a little after midnight, there were thunderstorms and a fair amount of water on the road. The car never hydroplaned, I could feel the start of hydroplaning, and then you could feel the wheels adjusting to maintain traction. Again, running around 78mph. Pretty cool.

Having it to do over, would I buy this car? Yep. I still think it’s the best bang for the buck on the road.
The following 5 users liked this post by mrrobato:
hondamore (10-22-2018), Ken1997TL (10-29-2018), MuGen7Modulo (10-21-2018), RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-21-2018), vtec_v6 (10-22-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 08:01 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrobato
I started the trip with ethylnol free hi-test. Was averaging 31.6 mpg. This is cruising at 78mph. Pretty good gas mileage. Once in Texas I had to start running ethylnol hi-test, mpg dropped to 28.6.
I've always noticed the disparity in MPG we seem to experience in the group of KC2 owners.

My car's lifetime MPG is 30.7 now. But some owners see significantly less.

The highest MPG comes from averaging ⅓ EV mode, it seems to me. I don't think you were doing that if you averaged 78 mph!!
The following users liked this post:
mrrobato (04-30-2019)
Old 10-21-2018, 08:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
At 75,000 miles I am regularly seeing 30mpg plus on each tank. Lifetime is just about at 30 mpg overall.
mrrobato (04-30-2019)
Old 10-22-2018, 04:53 AM
Too many cars

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I just took a 400 mile road trip from NC up to Maryland to pick up another car with our 2018 RLX. Driving up we averaged 32.6 via the display on the dash. We ran with traffic which was 5 - 10 above the speed limit. This is just such an amazing car. I didn't check the mileage coming back because I was varying the speeds quite a bit with the new car during break-in. My wife did say how nice the automatic cruise control was to follow me as my speeds kept changing.
mrrobato (04-30-2019)
Old 10-22-2018, 08:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Was that new car the Z06?
Old 10-22-2018, 12:19 PM
Too many cars

Originally Posted by miner
It was. It is peppier than the RLX and the top goes down, but you can't put 5 people in it and the mileage isn't as good.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by miner
Is your question directed to me? If so, no. The Caddy CTS-V is the 4 door version of the Z06. Keeps my wife happier with more sheet metal around me. It will be fun when I finally get it. I'm waiting to have it built so that it will be delivered after the snow season. If I got it now, I would hardly drive it and it would just be a tease. Better overall to just take delivery in the spring time and get a full 9 months of enjoyment before it is mothballed for the winter next year. Sucks being an adult sometimes.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:56 AM
Safety Car

Congrats to both RLX-Sport and 647 for their exceptional tastes in autos. While in the NE recently I had a standard CTS rental. The drive from Boston to VT was enjoyable and the car performed well with the 3.6. I even felt it may have rode better in Tour mode than my SH.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

My expectations for the CTS-V just like the Z06, is it provides weapons grade fun and thus it is a lovely world that such products are available for our consumption. The fact that the 2019 model run will be the last for the CTS-V makes it all the sweeter.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:10 PM
Too many cars

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
...The fact that the 2019 model run will be the last for the CTS-V makes it all the sweeter.
The end of an era for the Corvette as well. After 66 years of a front engine and rear wheel drive, 2019 is believed to be the last year of the front engine Corvette. They will call it a Corvette, but it just isn't going to be the same.

Back on topic - the RLX is an incredible road car that never ceases to amaze me. I just wish that Acura could get their act together and market this car and get more of them on the road. We stumbled upon the RLX quite by accident, it wasn't even on our radar when looking for a new sedan for my wife with all of the current generation of safety features. I catch people staring at it in traffic occasionally trying to figure out what it is. Ours is bright red, so it kind of stands out.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just yesterday a silver PAWS and I were driving together down the Major Degan past Yankee Stadium and it was nice to see another one in the wild. That, until we both stopped in traffic next to a Dodge Demon. Wow that is a bad ass car. God Bless America that we manufacture these machines.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:23 AM
Grandpa

Wow that is a bad ass car. God Bless America that we manufacture these machines.
Let's talk about climate change and our continuing over reliance on carbon fuels for the sake of short term profit.

Well within the lifespan of this the current governing generation, we face a potentially race ending cataclysm.
Limelight (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 09:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

GK that is a very interesting discussion. Lots of sides to that argument, not all political. Depending on your view, some might say that the environmental changes are naturally occurring, and others would argue that it is 100% human affected. Some might argue that the studies are supporting a singular narrative for economic and political reasons as it fits their narrative, and yet others will say that the "science" as presented paints a different picture. Is it carbon emissions that are the culprit? Is it the increased moisture in the atmosphere which supports latent heating of the overall system? Is it increased pollution in the water that absorbs more radiation heat which thus heats the waters more than before and starts the chain of events down stream? Is it one of a hundred of other potential issues? Again an interesting discussion to have, but it will not stop me from buying a gas guzzler just for fun.

Good point to raise though.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:06 AM
Grandpa

Depending on your view, some might say that the environmental changes are naturally occurring....
Some might say that but some would be wrong. Hell, some people think the earth is flat and Australia doesn't exist because it's off the edge, so the citizens must be paid actors. Somebody tell the Queen that when she visits Oz, she's just dreaming.

We no longer have the luxury of tolerating that kind of dis-information.

If we don't do something right now most of us will live to see the consequences. It's not that far away.

I'm sorry about the advertisement at the beginning, but this short video is an otherwise encompassing and succinct, easy to understand explanation of the IPCC report.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

GK I know and appreciate where you are coming from. I was just saying that it is an invigorating discussion that could be had. Personally I agree with you. We are in deep poo poo. The once in a 500 year occurrence of storms that are happening with an alarming regularity now seems to be showing up more and more, almost becoming the norm. Scary. Look at the storm that just passed Guam yesterday. 180mph winds with 220mph gusts! Sounds like the surface of Jupiter more than the earth. Flat earth people aren't worth our precious lifespan to even have a conversation with them. Too stupid to talk about so I won't.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Well. Time for a NSX Sport Hybrid, then. You know, for the environment. . And to tide me over until I can fill an electric car with electrons in the same amount of time it takes to fill a gas tank.

I'm keeping my manual, V8 Ludditewagon, though.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-25-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 04:50 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
Some might say that but some would be wrong. Hell, some people think the earth is flat and Australia doesn't exist because it's off the edge, so the citizens must be paid actors. Somebody tell the Queen that when she visits Oz, she's just dreaming.

We no longer have the luxury of tolerating that kind of dis-information.

If we don't do something right now most of us will live to see the consequences. It's not that far away.

I'm sorry about the advertisement at the beginning, but this short video is an otherwise encompassing and succinct, easy to understand explanation of the IPCC report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CZL3JZGLKY&t=338s
Well done. It's clearly human-caused, and those who think otherwise are simply science education-deprived deniers. There's no reasoning with them.

BTW it's pretty close to "too late" now......tipping point and all.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:39 AM
Racer

The following 2 users liked this post by DanL07RL:
neuronbob (10-26-2018), nist7 (11-27-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator

We are clearly in the red zone. Humans (particularly North American, European, and Chinese humans) clearly play a role. At some point, ICEs will have to be banned to force people to new drivetrain tech. BTW, this has to do with a road trip exactly what again?
Old 10-28-2018, 09:35 AM
Advanced

I had neglected to mention, I didn't neglect, I didn't want to look bad. I noticed in my rear view mirror as I has driving down I-35 at 78+ mph I was leaving a trail of death and destruction. Plants wilted and died, animals, collapsed in choking fits, smaller animals spontaneously combusted due to the temperature rise. It took me awhile to figure out that I was the cause of this mayhem, and further, it was the emissions of my RLX that were responsible.

What had started as a pleasant road trip, turned into a road trip of death, destruction, and mayhem.

I pulled over, got out of the car and looked at the path of destruction I'd left. Fuck it! Let the kids deal with it. Got back into the RLX, cranked up Led Zeppelin, and hauled ass for Austin.

The following 3 users liked this post by mrrobato:
DJ Iceman (03-29-2019), JSakaBuck (03-29-2019), RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-28-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 07:11 AM
Safety Car

Driving I-35 from Dallas to Austin is line a straight-line NASCAR race; don't leave the fast lane. That interstate needs some repair.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

I maneuvered yesterday to miss a creator almost the width of the car and had to be at least a foot deep, but the car behind me didn't and crashed into it stopping it dead right there like it hit a brick wall. Turns out that was the beginnings of a sink hole! I came back later that evening to see the road was closed off and they were making emergency repairs to fill the hole and repave the road. Potholes are one thing, but a sink hole? WTF! It must be climate change that is to blame, or it could just be bad engineering in that spot.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:23 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
When questioning the cause of something, you'll find it's often the creator...
Old 10-29-2018, 10:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Way to bring a thread back on topic.

The only fly in the ointment there is that the RLX Sport Hybrid is LEV III SULEV 30, so it's more likely stuff would be growing behind your car.

I had neglected to mention, I didn't neglect, I didn't want to look bad. I noticed in my rear view mirror as I has driving down I-35 at 78+ mph I was leaving a trail of death and destruction. Plants wilted and died, animals, collapsed in choking fits, smaller animals spontaneously combusted due to the temperature rise. It took me awhile to figure out that I was the cause of this mayhem, and further, it was the emissions of my RLX that were responsible.

What had started as a pleasant road trip, turned into a road trip of death, destruction, and mayhem.

I pulled over, got out of the car and looked at the path of destruction I'd left. Fuck it! Let the kids deal with it. Got back into the RLX, cranked up Led Zeppelin, and hauled ass for Austin.

Last edited by neuronbob; 10-29-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Limelight
Right! I think Occam's Razor probably explains it best.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
Old 10-30-2018, 08:06 AM
Grandpa

The creator of the change; namely, Man.
neuronbob (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 10:49 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
I disagree. It's usually woman! They try to change the creator....
Old 10-30-2018, 12:00 PM
Pro

I was just memeing on the typo of crater vs. creator (he maneuvered yesterday to miss a creator almost the width of the car).

But I'm with you on the causes of climate change...
Old 03-24-2019, 10:15 AM
Advanced

I’ve owned my 2017 RLX-SH for a year now. I’ve put just short of 4,600 miles on it. I don’t use it for a daily. Just some random observations.

I still think this car is the best bang for the buck. In a year I’ve seen two others in the OKC area.

It’s a fairly large four-door, and it gets really decent gas mileage. It’s incredibly fast for what it is. I’m not sure there’s a car on the market that matches the specs of this one at the same price point (377HP, 341 ft-lbs TQ, and really decent gas milage). I was looking at an Audi S5. More HP/TQ, Much more $$$, really poor gas mileage. I couldn’t justify the price differential of the Audi. I suspect the same for BMW, MB, and Lexus. I’ve owned three Lexus’ in the past, I really like them, they’re a Toyota product, they’re reliable. The RLX is a Honda product, nuff said.

The infotainment system is clunky, just about every car review (regardless of model) I read bitches about the infotainment system. The Krell Audio system is top notch. Really, really.

The hesitation is annoying. I’ve pretty much memorized the Sport Button, and if I think I need immediate response, like at a left-turn light, the Sport Mode goes on.

I’d buy this car all over again.
The following 3 users liked this post by mrrobato:
hondamore (03-24-2019), Limelight (03-25-2019), neuronbob (03-25-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 04:47 PM
Pro

I’ve owned my 2017 RLX-SH for a year now. I’ve put just short of 4,600 miles on it. I don’t use it for a daily. Just some random observations.

I still think this car is the best bang for the buck. In a year I’ve seen two others in the OKC area.

It’s a fairly large four-door, and it gets really decent gas mileage. It’s incredibly fast for what it is. I’m not sure there’s a car on the market that matches the specs of this one at the same price point (377HP, 341 ft-lbs TQ, and really decent gas milage). I was looking at an Audi S5. More HP/TQ, Much more $$$, really poor gas mileage. I couldn’t justify the price differential of the Audi. I suspect the same for BMW, MB, and Lexus. I’ve owned three Lexus’ in the past, I really like them, they’re a Toyota product, they’re reliable. The RLX is a Honda product, nuff said.

The infotainment system is clunky, just about every car review (regardless of model) I read bitches about the infotainment system. The Krell Audio system is top notch. Really, really.

The hesitation is annoying. I’ve pretty much memorized the Sport Button, and if I think I need immediate response, like at a left-turn light, the Sport Mode goes on.

Couldn’t agree more. My only regret was purchasing the P-AWS first without doing my homework about the SH beforehand (I didn’t know it existed).

i just put on my summer wheels today which always make me feel better about the car (the OEM set bore me). I often say to myself how enjoyable a drive it is in the car. Very quick when you need it - very quiet when in EV. Paddles are fun and Krell is fantastic. The heated steering wheel is a blessing in winter and can’t live without HUD. Has been perfectly reliable and a pleasure to own.

The following 3 users liked this post by Limelight:
hondamore (03-24-2019), mrrobato (03-24-2019), neuronbob (03-25-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 05:13 PM
Advanced

Couldn’t agree more. My only regret was purchasing the P-AWS first without doing my homework about the SH beforehand (I didn’t know it existed).

i just put on my summer wheels today which always make me feel better about the car (the OEM set bore me). I often say to myself how enjoyable a drive it is in the car. Very quick when you need it - very quiet when in EV. Paddles are fun and Krell is fantastic. The heated steering wheel is a blessing in winter and can’t live without HUD. Has been perfectly reliable and a pleasure to own.

Oh yeah, heated steering wheel and seats! Bingo! What a luxury. The HUD, you are spot on.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:47 AM
Grandpa

I bought a KC1 because the sales manager swore they'd never even see one of the 450 or so KC2 that were made in the 2014 model year, and that they would probably be stuck in Japan forever.

Two months later: "Surprise!!"
Old 03-26-2019, 04:15 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure if you guys frequent the stickies, but Android Auto or Carplay installed makes this car amazing...
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-...to-rlx-974463/

Here is a sample with my chromecast hooked up to it. The sound is amazing, easily as good as a home theater system
Old 03-26-2019, 08:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DanL07RL
Right! I think Occam's Razor probably explains it best.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
Just saw this now. That was a typo dude.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Typo. Got to laugh though.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:13 AM
Racer

Just saw this now. That was a typo dude.
….or maybe a Freudian Slip?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freudian_slip
Old 03-27-2019, 08:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DanL07RL
….or maybe a Freudian Slip?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freudian_slip
Oooooh I had not thought of that. To be or not to be. Just don't bring in governmental humor as there isn't any.