RLX Sightings

Old 12-01-2016, 06:58 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by psheu
Here in South Florida, RLX Sport Hybrid is nearly none existence... Just picked one up this past weekend.... So if I want to see one, I'll need to drive next to some reflective shop windows Having this rarity is one of the reason the trigger was pulled
Hey psheu! Congrats! I think we have 4 Florida SH members here. 1 Jax, 2 Tampa Bay and now you. We have more SH per capita in FL than any other state in the union. Who says SHAWD is for snow belt only???
The following users liked this post:
psheu (12-02-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 01:35 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dont mean to mis-post...but Im definately interested in getting a RLX. Based on any and everybodys experience...whats the ride like, mileage, just the overall experience....
Also Im not sure if I want an SH-AWD or the P-AWS...Suggestions
Thanks in advance and again my apologies if this is misplaced.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:33 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Okay, I'll contribute to thread creep by saying that we have a 2016 PAWS Tech model and it's been great. We got it in March and so far have 19600 miles on it. The difference in price at the time and the limited trunk space were the deciding factors for the Paws model. Gas is about $2.15 a gal here in Memphis so the recovery time for the price difference is pretty long. We love the car but we're Acura loyalists and like non mainstream cars ( previous car was a 2010 ZDX.). This is our best car yet. In some ways I'm thankful that Consumer Reports trashed the car in 2014. It is now a tremendous bargain and with the '16 model most of the complaints have been remedied.
The following 3 users liked this post by old coastie:
pgeorg (12-01-2016), sooththetruth (01-03-2017), wstr75 (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by uptownarty
Dont mean to mis-post...but Im definately interested in getting a RLX. Based on any and everybodys experience...whats the ride like, mileage, just the overall experience....
As noted above there are a number of differences between the Sports Hybrid and the PAWS models. The SH suffers from a much smaller truck. It is also carries about 10% higher price. The biggest advantage of the SH is not the gas mileage but the performance and handling of the car. As has been said here before, the handling of the SH is best understood by a test drive. The electric motors add instant acceleration and torque-vectoring AWD. It provides a much different driving experience than any previous cars that I had driven. After the initial mediocre reviews of the PAWS I waited to see what the Sports Hybrid was all about. One test drive was all it took for me to be sold. The interiors of the cars are almost carbon copies of each other (the SH Advance does have a heads up display which most of us really like but it is really frosting on the cake. I now have over 2 years and 24,000 miles in the seat of my SH and have no regrets with my decision.
The following 6 users liked this post by Malibu Flyer:
hondamore (12-01-2016), neuronbob (12-01-2016), pgeorg (12-01-2016), sooththetruth (01-03-2017), TampaRLX-SH (12-03-2016), uptownarty (01-20-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-01-2016, 07:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Malibu pretty much says it all. My electrical gremlin aside, I have enjoyed the Sport Hybrid and feel it is well worth the extra, especially now that you can get a 2016 for far less than MSRP. The PAWS is definitely not chopped liver, though. That big trunk and the larger fuel tank in the PAWS make it a great road trip car.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by uptownarty
The affinity towards my new RXL SH-AWD is growing by days...they said the car starts to depreciate (include how you felt) when you drive off the lot, not in this case... It just keep getting better and better (like the gas mileage)... Coming from experienced long line of RL's, I need that SH-AWD. To me, having a bigger trunk means you'll just allow more stuff to be piled in there. I prefer them to be empty so it doesn't bother me at all This is the best choice out there right now. The closest competitor out there is Lexus GSh and RLX still got beat it hands down. There are plenty of great P-AWS around. but having the SH-AWD gives you that exclusivity that makes them exotic cars jealous
The following 3 users liked this post by psheu:
hondamore (12-03-2016), pgeorg (12-02-2016), uptownarty (01-20-2017)
Old 12-02-2016, 12:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
Hey psheu! Congrats! I think we have 4 Florida SH members here. 1 Jax, 2 Tampa Bay and now you. We have more SH per capita in FL than any other state in the union. Who says SHAWD is for snow belt only???
Thx Tampa, it feels great to be back in the mix again. So the dealer wasn't kidding when they told me this is the only one in South Florida... hehehe
Old 12-03-2016, 07:14 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by psheu
Thx Tampa, it feels great to be back in the mix again. So the dealer wasn't kidding when they told me this is the only one in South Florida... hehehe
I have yet to see another SH in the wild. One I did see at a local dealership was purchased from someone out of state. Makes me think they should just keep the cars at the point of entry and deliver to dealers when a match is made.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:41 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I have yet to see another SH in the wild.
Now that you mention it, the only other one that I've ever seen was one that was from out of state, temporarily at my local dealer for troubleshooting a CEL.

45000 miles, and only one other one.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:01 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
Tampa: Head to Long Island NY

I saw two Thanksgiving week in Nassau County, Long Island. One on the Southern State Parkway (a light greenish gold color I have never seen before). The other one (Grey) was at Beiner Audi in Great Neck, NY while I was having my sister's Audi in for warranty repairs. The owner of RLX Hybrid was buying a new Audi A3 for his very young (17?) son. The son was beaming in delight (lucky kid)!
Old 12-03-2016, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Kinda wishing I had my Sport Hybrid back. I am seriously missing the HUD. How did I ever live without one? That, other than the drivetrain and the huge back seat, is my favorite feature of the car. If you see my CBP rolling around in the Cleveland area, it's dealership personnel testing it.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:45 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Kinda wishing I had my Sport Hybrid back. I am seriously missing the HUD. How did I ever live without one? That, other than the drivetrain and the huge back seat, is my favorite feature of the car. If you see my CBP rolling around in the Cleveland area, it's dealership personnel testing it.
They were testing it on the I-90 at about 100.

0_o

j u s t .k i d d i n g
fsmith (12-04-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

If you see my CBP rolling around in the Cleveland area, it's dealership personnel testing it.
I am having visions of the parking valet from Ferris Beuller's Day Off.

***Greetings from the Pitons***
Old 12-04-2016, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by George Knighton
They were testing it on the I-90 at about 100.

***Greetings from the Pitons***
Safe travels!
Old 12-26-2016, 06:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Red face Udate

Recently discovered that the the Director of where I work, purchased a RLX. He is a kind of high profile in his profession and makes @ least a 7 digit salary so I am surprised he did not get something a little flashier. This marks the 3rd RLX in my department; me being the 1st and the 2nd person buying theirs because they liked mine so much. This is killing my goal of having a rare care .......

Over the weekend, I was visiting someone and saw a RLX parked across the street. It was either a 2014 base or navi as it had the 18" wheels. Also on the road trip, I saw 2 more RLXs.

It has taken like 4 years but I am starting to see them with some more regularity. Patiently waiting for the MMC or hopefully the FMC ...........

Old 12-26-2016, 10:40 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by TSX69

--- This marks the 3rd RLX in my department; me being the 1st and the 2nd person buying theirs because they liked mine so much. This is killing my goal of having a rare car .......
I did not know Acura corporate offices had relocated to NC?
Old 12-26-2016, 02:33 PM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
I did not know Acura corporate offices had relocated to NC?
Maybe not Acura's corporate offices, but Honda's aircraft products HQ is in Greensboro, NC

https://www.hondajet.com/Contact/

https://www.hondajet.com/
Old 12-26-2016, 04:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69

Recently discovered that the the Director of where I work, purchased a RLX. He is a kind of high profile in his profession and makes @ least a 7 digit salary so I am surprised he did not get something a little flashier. This marks the 3rd RLX in my department; me being the 1st and the 2nd person buying theirs because they liked mine so much. This is killing my goal of having a rare care .......

Over the weekend, I was visiting someone and saw a RLX parked across the street. It was either a 2014 base or navi as it had the 18" wheels. Also on the road trip, I saw 2 more RLXs.

It has taken like 4 years but I am starting to see them with some more regularity. Patiently waiting for the MMC or hopefully the FMC ...........

Dang. Mind if I ask what area/company you work in?

7-figure salary seems like either mid-high level management at a large company or a very good small business owner.

Of course the stereotype is a rich guy is gonna go for the typical rich guy car (S-Class, 7-series, Lexus LS, etc.) but sometimes they don't give a crap about cars and will do whatever.

I know a guy who makes over 300k at my hospital and drives a Corolla....
Old 12-26-2016, 05:18 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by nist7
... but sometimes they don't give a crap about cars and will do whatever. I know a guy who makes over 300k at my hospital and drives a Corolla....
And some do care. My attorney does very well. His first car was a Honda Accord. Every car he owned was a Honda Accord. He will not own anything else...until this past week he purchased and RLX Advance (the last Accord passed to his newly licensed daughter). He decided he wanted to break from the Accord trend, and wanted something more upscale (he gets teased a lot from his partners) but did not want to leave Honda. When I was in his office Wednesday he asked me about my RLX. He did not know it is an Acura. In the conversation I told him it is the Honda LEGEND / Acura RLX and serves as the flagship of both brands. Teasing I told him it is possible to re-badge the RLX as a Honda....or as I have done a LEGEND. He bought the car Friday. I gave him a LEGEND badge (I had spares) for Christmas!
The following 4 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
fsmith (12-27-2016), neuronbob (12-26-2016), nist7 (01-28-2017), pcloadletter (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 06:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
And some do care. My attorney does very well. His first car was a Honda Accord. Every car he owned was a Honda Accord. He will not own anything else...until this past week he purchased and RLX Advance (the last Accord passed to his newly licensed daughter). He decided he wanted to break from the Accord trend, and wanted something more upscale (he gets teased a lot from his partners) but did not want to leave Honda. When I was in his office Wednesday he asked me about my RLX. He did not know it is an Acura. In the conversation I told him it is the Honda LEGEND / Acura RLX and serves as the flagship of both brands. Teasing I told him it is possible to re-badge the RLX as a Honda....or as I have done a LEGEND. He bought the car Friday. I gave him a LEGEND badge (I had spares) for Christmas!
Ha! Interesting. I think the RLX is an exact target for his kind of audience....wealthy but seems very conservative (not talking about politics) in lifestyle/choices and possibly somewhat stuck on a brand. It's definitely an understated luxury/flagship car that's not brash nor loud nor scream look-at-me.
TampaRLX-SH (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 07:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Nice sale. You know he's going to go the entire rebadge route now.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:49 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Sports

I work in the college athletics field.

1 of the main reasons I picked a RLX over an MDX was because there are MDXs everywhere here and I wanted to to be different. Now there are 3 in my immediate workplace. Funny how the world works.

The Acura dealerships in my area should be thanking me.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:08 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Unicorn Day

Saw a dark grey RLX yesterday. The first I had seen since I turned mine in last August. Very subtle. You have to look hard to determine that it is an RLX and not another Acura sedan.

I also saw a ZDX. I believe it was my first live sighting. Rather odd appearance.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:11 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by R. White
...Saw a dark grey RLX yesterday. The first I had seen since I turned mine in last August. Very subtle. You have to look hard to determine that it is an RLX and not another Acura sedan.....
I have to say that the Jewel Eye headlights have done well to distinguish Acura from other brands - even with the myriad of LED faces we now see on the road. It is a much more appealing signature than the grille has been. I too sometimes confuse Acura vehicles at distance (as I do with BMW and Mercedes) as the 'face' of the lineup has a familiar look. I can spot the Jewel Eyes at distance and know it is an Acura. But what I like of the RLX is the double row Jewel Eyes. It makes the RLX distinguished from the remainder of the fleet. That is, if you ever spot one in the wild. And the few I have spotted my eye immediately went to the turn signals / fog lights below the bumper to determine if it was PAWS or SH. And still, to date I have yet to cross another SH in the wild.
hondamore (01-18-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 07:30 AM
Safety Car

Wink Zdx

What a coincidence: I just started looking @ used ZDXs as a possible 2nd car. I think that I have only ever seen 2 in the wild, and of course it is that kind of rarity that appeals to me. Sadly, I can only find a couple of used ones & they are all ~$20,000; I am not spending that much on a vehicle just for funsies.

@ the time, I did not really think that much of the ZDX but looking @ it now, Acura was trying to be a little more upscale there. I wish Acura still made it (with improvements), especially now that BMW & Mercedes have their versions out. Acura needs another mid-level luxury vehicle to keep it from being too entry-level a la Buick.

Also, I remember that ZDX had advanced ventilated seats that drew hot air away from you instead blowing cool air; does Acura still use this or was that just for the ZDX?

Old 01-20-2017, 08:28 AM
2014 SH Advance/2006 Tech

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
I happened to notice another RLX in the parking lot of my new office location few days ago.. I was surprised and got carried away and parked my car next to it. The other car was P-AWS and mine was SH-AWD. In the picture the messy one was mine
Attached Thumbnails RLX Sightings-acurazine_-_acura_enthusiast_community_-_reply_to_topic.png  
The following 5 users liked this post by sri_gondi:
hondamore (01-20-2017), Malibu Flyer (01-22-2017), nist7 (02-11-2017), pgeorg (01-20-2017), TSX69 (01-20-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
I have a neighbor down the hill from me who has a RLX. I have yet to see which model it is. Next time I roll by and they have their garage door up, I'll sneak a peak, and hopefully won't get shot at!
Old 02-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Safety Car

Cool Another

Saw a silver 1 in the opposite lane coming at me. Altho I do at times feel the double jewel eyes might be overkill, I am glad that the RLX has them. It makes it easily distinguishable at night from the other Acuras but also helps give it the exclusive flagship status. I think that the only other special thing that the RLX have is the Krell audio system.

Speaking of jewel eyes, I had a guest in mine & she commented on how wide spread the lights were. Acura really should emphasize this more as I have heard many times people complain that the RLX does not have active headlights. The thing is, with jewel eyes you do not need them.

The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
hondamore (02-11-2017), pgeorg (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I cannot speak to the PAWS models but for the SH members:

1st 2014 RLX SH: Malibu
1st 2016 RLX SH: Tampa RLX-SH (worthless trivia: 1st delivered in North America)
1st 2017 RLX SH: Lonestar

2015 RLX SH not offered in USA

1st RLX SH I've seen in the wild: TBA
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
Malibu Flyer (02-11-2017), pgeorg (02-11-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 10:01 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts
Thought I should comment on this thread. I live 20 minutes from the nearest Acura dealer and I see at least 2-3 a day commuting to and from work. I always do a double take when seeing them. They always catch my eye, very elegant. Seems like people are buying them in the St.Louis area.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Saw a silver PAWS yesterday in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland near my office. First I've seen in awhile.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:47 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Saw a silver PAWS yesterday in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland near my office. First I've seen in awhile.
Was it driven by Elvis, Hogzilla or the Yeti?
Old 02-28-2017, 07:53 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
I saw another RLX today. Two this year so far.
TSX69 (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 09:02 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Nice sale. You know he's going to go the entire rebadge route now.
ummm....did you ever install your LEGEND door sills? I may have a buyer!
Old 02-28-2017, 09:47 PM
Senior Moderator

I never installed them. I'm willing to let them go for an appropriate offer. It'll fund something else for my NSX.

However....waiting to see what happens with my problem Sport Hybrid first....if I end up with another, I'll finally be able to install them.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:52 PM
Senior Moderator

On another note, I was sighted on the freeway, and given a nod of approval, by a guy in a nicely debadged, grey TSX on my morning commute. It's the Legend badge, I tell you, people know it.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:01 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

It's the Legend badge, I tell you, people know it.
Indeed. I think every compliment I have gotten from strangers was linked to the LEGEND acknowledgment. Come to think of it, most all the compliments I got on my RL was after I added the LEGEND badge.

oh...and no worries on the sills. He can afford to order them from the JDM supplier - considering what he bills me!
Old 08-27-2017, 05:00 PM
Racer

Two RLX Hybrids (mine is on the right) parked at Friendly Shopping Center in Greensboro, NC this afternoon. The car on the left had a Hendricks Acura Charlotte license holder. It had the same wheels as my previous 2014 PAWS so I'm thinking it is a 2014.
The following 4 users liked this post by wstr75:
Malibu Flyer (08-27-2017), moose66 (08-27-2017), neuronbob (08-27-2017), TSX69 (08-28-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 103 Posts
That's awesome! Plus, you're both in NC (I'm in Charlotte).
wstr75 (08-31-2017)
Old 02-11-2018, 06:00 PM
Racer

I was on Coliseum Drive in Greensboro at 5:00 PM today when a Pomegranate Red with what appeared to be the Seacoast interior pulled up alongside at a stoplight. When it pulled away it was a hybrid with Hendrick Acura Charlotte license plate frame. Imagine two rare early vintage RLX hybrids side by side at a stoplight in Greensboro!
The following 4 users liked this post by wstr75:
hondamore (02-11-2018), neuronbob (02-11-2018), pgeorg (02-12-2018), TSX69 (02-11-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RLX Sightings