Notices

RLX SH versus Tesla 3 or used Tesla S?

Old 04-30-2019, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
RLX SH versus Tesla 3 or used Tesla S?

First off, I do not own an RLX SH, or any RLX for that matter. I am interested though. I do own a 2011 RDX FWD, so I somewhat know the technology the RLX has, and I don't mind it since there is some familiarity with the round dial and antiquated navigation and such. So if you were going to spend $50 to $60k for a sedan, why the RLX versus the Tesla? If range anxiety was no problem for normal commutes and such. I understand, taking it from Florida to California on a cross-country trip would be somewhat a factor, but I am talking normal day to day, weekend driving of putting 200 to 350 miles a week. I drove a Model S over the weekend, and was thoroughly impressed with how it drove like a car, but accelerated like a bat out of ....... Does the RLX accelerate like that? I was not as impressed with the interior of the Tesla. Guess it would take getting used to. Did anyone cross shop these vehicles and why did you choose the RLX. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:10 AM
Lucky Enzo!

Received 1,218 Likes on 853 Posts
I would cross shop other cars. $60k can still get you a lot of car.

That being said, unless you really want an EV, I would stay away from tesla. It's becoming more and more clear they are poorly built and are not as solid as a $60k car should be.
The following users liked this post:
snoozabelle (05-10-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts
Exactly what we thought 1 year ago. My dad just replaced his 09 TL with a 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid Advance. When the model 3 first came out we rented one on Turo and he loved it, and very much considered going on the waiting list. Then, he realized at the age of 60 he wanted Luxury, and that is the RLX, not a tesla. We loved the Tesla and the tech, but it wasn't that nice of a car quality wise. The seats were not that comfortable, radio not as nice, fit and finish felt like a civic, etc. He wanted the drive of his TL in a nice loaded luxury sedan, and that is why he bought the RLX.

So I guess it depends on you. I am 27, work an Acura dealership, and I drive a TLX SH-AWD Advance. I love it. I personally would buy a model 3 as I think its cool. Buts not luxury and comfort, like my dad preferred. So I guess it depends what your looking for.... luxury, or a tech gadget with wheels.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks Spoiler. That was my initial feeling when I test drove the Model S. It had immense power, but the inside seemed Star Trekish. I would imagine the Model 3 even more so. Can't guage comfort of the seats from a 10 minute test drive. I live in Florida, so a number of Tesla charging and one Service station is in town. However, go outside a major city, and it becomes sparse. I am closer to your father's age, so having the latest gadget is not as important as having something different that is fun to drive and reliable of course. The new ones depreciate so fast though, I just need to wait for a nicely driven CPO from 2018 and up it seems.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:33 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by hues10 View Post
I do own a 2011 RDX FWD....
When somebody who has owned Lexus, Toyota, Honda and Acura sits in a Tesla, he might be astonished at the general lack of fit and finish, and lack of materials quality.

Tesla's a technology company more than it is an automotive company or a consumer services company, unfortunately.

There are really some things that will astonish you. You won't be able to understand why a particular material was used considering the price point. You won't be able to understand why something was put together the way it was, why a seat doesn't work, why the door handle shakes when it moves, why a panel can be so far off and it still leave the factory, why you can spend so much money on a car that does not have a sunroof shade...it will be a long list.

I get it that Tesla's catching on, but to me it is still in the geek stage. You will "get it" or you won't.

Tesla needs to team up with a good automobile company like Lexus, or a good consumer services company like Apple before they get it totally right.

And if you ask me, their finances right now are all smoke and mirrors.

I hope they make it, but I have my doubts.

Oh, and anybody who complains about the KC2 suspension needs to take a ride on a New England or New York winter road in one of those new Model 3's.

That'll make you think your KC2 suspension is a perfect, pillowy soft. :-)
The following 4 users liked this post by George Knighton:
hondamore (05-03-2019), mrrobato (05-03-2019), MuGen7Modulo (05-05-2019), snoozabelle (05-10-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 35 Posts
Interesting thread, as I just had a test drive in my neighbors model S. He let me drive it on winding mountain roads I'm very familiar with and I was very favorably impressed with the ride and handling. Acceleration is amazing (his is a 90D, so AWD). But I also was less than impressed with the interior. I'm a 61-year-old geek so the big screen and a lot of the geek-chic vibe are up my alley, but I like the extra attention to detail George mentions in his post above that vendors like Lexus and Acura have.
So for me, the ideal would be a nicely priced 2018 or later CPO SH. That, or a new Acura EV sedan.

On my shortlist for a pure EV: the Jaguar iPace. But as a vendor, Jag makes me nervous, I've come to love the rock-solid reliability of my Acura.

Oh, one more reason from preferring an RLX-SH, it's the perfect compliment to the Acura NSX I hope occupies one of the other car bays in my garage
hondamore (05-03-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 07:41 PM
▒JDM KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
When somebody who has owned Lexus, Toyota, Honda and Acura sits in a Tesla, he might be astonished at the general lack of fit and finish, and lack of materials quality.

Tesla's a technology company more than it is an automotive company or a consumer services company, unfortunately.

There are really some things that will astonish you. You won't be able to understand why a particular material was used considering the price point. You won't be able to understand why something was put together the way it was, why a seat doesn't work, why the door handle shakes when it moves, why a panel can be so far off and it still leave the factory, why you can spend so much money on a car that does not have a sunroof shade...it will be a long list.

I get it that Tesla's catching on, but to me it is still in the geek stage. You will "get it" or you won't.

Tesla needs to team up with a good automobile company like Lexus, or a good consumer services company like Apple before they get it totally right.

And if you ask me, their finances right now are all smoke and mirrors.

I hope they make it, but I have my doubts.

Oh, and anybody who complains about the KC2 suspension needs to take a ride on a New England or New York winter road in one of those new Model 3's.

That'll make you think your KC2 suspension is a perfect, pillowy soft. :-)

Well said Ser George!
I felt the same when I sat in a Model S.

Curious to see what Audi will do for starters as far units sold. Volvo will enter the electric market heavily too.

And it's very possible that we'll see the next production ready RLX in August at Pebble Beach.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:54 PM
Lucky Enzo!

Received 1,218 Likes on 853 Posts
Originally Posted by MuGen7Modulo View Post
Well said Ser George!
I felt the same when I sat in a Model S.

Curious to see what Audi will do for starters as far units sold. Volvo will enter the electric market heavily too.

And it's very possible that we'll see the next production ready RLX in August at Pebble Beach.
the tech people will take the major automakers to the cleaners for shorter range but true car reviewers recognize the electric Audi is an Audi and the electric Jaguar is a Jaguar. The Tesla in real life is something less
Old 05-06-2019, 08:35 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by MuGen7Modulo View Post
The next generation Sport Hybrid is something I've very interested in. I keep getting calls from dealers to get a new KC2 at substantial discounts but I just can't do it. Waiting to see the next generation.
moose66 (05-13-2019)
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM
ceb
Registered Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 871 Posts
Tesla has amazing acceleration and handling isn't bad. The big screen, Google maps, OTA updates and the tech in general is impressive.

The self driving not so much. Fit and finish was better in a Trabant or a Saturn. Ease of entry/exit is awful. Comfort is so-so. Visibility is so-so. Range is OK for an EV but not good enough (IMO) for a long range cruiser - which is what this segment calls for.

To get the Tesla technology into a car that meets the same standards, then you'd be looking at Bentley/Rolls pricing.