RLX Sales

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by woropallo
I agree with you, considering that this forum represents a very small population of RLX owners and people have the tendency for posting only negative not positive, who knows for sure what the real feeling is for the other thousands of owners of the RLX. I love mine and don't follow CR or what others have to say about a car, I buy what I like, end of story. Actually I like this forum and reading the same statement from some folks about their dissatisfaction with the car makes me wonder why are they keeping the car. If it was me, and I have done this before, I get rid of the car and buy one I like. Eating the difference is not worth the stress of owning a car I don't like. Actually this is how I got my Acura, I traded a 2014 Avalon I did not like in for the 2015 Acura.
A buddy of mine bought a Jeep Rubicon to be a train car so he would never get stuck trying to climb the hill to his house in the snow when he gets off the train at night. He could easily afford a Porsche Cayenne Twin Turbo for the same purpose, and that would feed his ego for sure, but it would be stupid to do so. Just because he can afford it does not make it smart to do that. Personally I don't like his Jeep at all, but that is just my opinion. It does not mean that a Jeep is a substandard vehicle. It just isn't my cup of tea. If someone does not like their car, just trade it in and be done with it.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
So it seems clear to me that you are not happy with your car and I am sad to read that over and over again. I love mine ever though there are things I would change if I could. No car will be perfect and I think no matter what car any of us purchase at any price, we would always have something to gripe about. If you are that dissatisfied with your RLX, go trade it in and get something else.
This is a public forum, where both positive and negative can be discussed. Just as you can rave about your experiences (as I too have back when I first got my RLX), I can rant and respond the same.

Making statements such as "no car will be perfect" only shows you still haven't heard a single thing I've said in any of my posts. I've never once asked for a perfect car. As a matter of fact, what I just stated in my last post was..."If anything, all my criticisms of the RLX are nothing more than a sign that I WANT THEM TO SUCCEED with the RLX". Somehow that was missed?

Yes, I want Acura to succeed with the RLX, because monthly sales of 197 is NOT a sign of a successful product. And why do I want them to be successful with the RLX? Because when a company is successful with a product (like Acura has been with the MDX), then that means there is a higher chance of longevity and further investments, more features, more enhancements into making that product even BETTER. A company with a successful product is more inclined to continue investing in it. But somehow everyone hear just wants to keep their blinders on and just because they are "happy" with their RLX, that somehow that just dismisses the reality of the fact that the product has been a complete FAILURE to the majority of the buying public. The numbers show it, and at the end of the day, no company looks past numbers when it comes to determine what lives and what gets cut based on which products are bringing in revenue. Instead all I get is snide remarks like "well if you don't like your car, then go get rid of it." Well whatever, im done with the BS. For the last time, my critiques have been nothing more than my desire to see them be successful with the product for the reasons I just explained. Read it again. Read it again. It's only a few lines right above this. I even put it in bold in hopes that maybe the point will finally get across.

As a matter of fact, go back and read Bob's last post and give him a hard time.

Last edited by holografique; 04-05-2015 at 03:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MisterZDX (04-05-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 04:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
OK guys. Let's not get too heated.

A) My comments above come despite how much I like my RLX. I happen to like the exterior design and features. I wasn't trying to start a shzit fest. However, we can all see the RLX hasn't made it in the wider world for a lot of reasons. I am personally frustrated that Acura hasn't done what it takes to get the news out there about the RLX. Logically, the solutions must be either that the car is rethought from A to Z, or the MMC had better be a blockbuster. I'll be happy with a restyling to smooth out the grille, better wheels, and JDM options for the rear seats.

B) Holographique, don't take this so personally. It's only the Internet. We all respect your opinion understand how you feel, and since you tell us, why you feel it. We know you want to move on and we understand. We fully get you. No need to be feisty about it. We know you're not so much anti-Acura as anti-harsh ride.

C) Everyone, relax and take deep breaths before each post. That includes me.

The best thing about this particular corner of AZ is that all RLX owners are effectively beta-testers for whatever Acura does for the RLX (or its replacement). Let's keep the discussion in that spirit.

You can give me a hard time about my post, too. I'm cool with that.

Last edited by neuronbob; 04-05-2015 at 04:39 PM.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-05-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by holografique
This is a public forum, where both positive and negative can be discussed. Just as you can rave about your experiences (as I too have back when I first got my RLX), I can rant and respond the same.

Making statements such as "no car will be perfect" only shows you still haven't heard a single thing I've said in any of my posts. I've never once asked for a perfect car. As a matter of fact, what I just stated in my last post was..."If anything, all my criticisms of the RLX are nothing more than a sign that I WANT THEM TO SUCCEED with the RLX". Somehow that was missed?

Yes, I want Acura to succeed with the RLX, because monthly sales of 197 is NOT a sign of a successful product. And why do I want them to be successful with the RLX? Because when a company is successful with a product (like Acura has been with the MDX), then that means there is a higher chance of longevity and further investments, more features, more enhancements into making that product even BETTER. A company with a successful product is more inclined to continue investing in it. But somehow everyone hear just wants to keep their blinders on and just because they are "happy" with their RLX, that somehow that just dismisses the reality of the fact that the product has been a complete FAILURE to the majority of the buying public. The numbers show it, and at the end of the day, no company looks past numbers when it comes to determine what lives and what gets cut based on which products are bringing in revenue. Instead all I get is snide remarks like "well if you don't like your car, then go get rid of it." Well whatever, im done with the BS. For the last time, my critiques have been nothing more than my desire to see them be successful with the product for the reasons I just explained. Read it again. Read it again. It's only a few lines right above this. I even put it in bold in hopes that maybe the point will finally get across.

As a matter of fact, go back and read Bob's last post and give him a hard time.
Ok I think the written word does not communicate the complete intended sentiment. I was NOT intending to be snide or flippant. Constructive criticisms are always welcome on this or any forum and I do not believe that we are only talking about positive things. I feel we are all offering constructive criticisms, myself included. You are pissed. I get it. We all do. I'm just saying being upset about a purchase does not have to be more than it is, a purchase. If you are not happy do something about it. If by airing your opinions here is what you consider doing something about it, then I will stand down and by all means you can continue with your expressive opinions. We also understand that you want Acura to improve their product. I agree with that also. I'm sure BMW and MB enthusiasts say similar things about their products also (although I have not checked as that is just an assumption). So put the knife back in the holster and lower your verbal weapons here. I think we are all having a friendly conversation and not needing tempers to flair. Take it easy.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:55 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
In reference to the comment "if you're not happy with your car then go out and get something else" It's not that easy for some people and we make financial decisions that best suit our personal situations. If financing, not everyone wants to trade with negative equity and take such a huge depreciation hit. If leasing, it's a hell of alot easier to just suck it up and keep what you have until the lease is up. Life is all about choices and making and learning from past mistakes. The RLX rollout has been a mess from start to finish and clearly Acura and consumers realize that. If a massive MMC is not in the works, then they should just give up on the product altogether. Hell even the ZDX sold more in the beginning than the RLX is selling now and look at how quickly they discontinued that. Just my

Last edited by MisterZDX; 04-05-2015 at 06:59 PM.
hddnav (05-02-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 07:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MisterZDX
In reference to the comment "if you're not happy with your car then go out and get something else" It's not that easy for some people and we make financial decisions that best suit our personal situations. If financing, not everyone wants to trade with negative equity and take such a huge depreciation hit. If leasing, it's a hell of alot easier to just suck it up and keep what you have until the lease is up. Life is all about choices and making and learning from past mistakes. The RLX rollout has been a mess from start to finish and clearly Acura and consumers realize that. If a massive MMC is not in the works, then they should just give up on the product altogether. Hell even the ZDX sold more in the beginning than the RLX is selling now and look at how quickly they discontinued that. Just my
Very fair points.
MisterZDX (04-05-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow 194

May 1, 2015
Honda light trucks set a new April record of 52,635 vehicles sold, gaining 2.0 percent year-over-year; Honda CR-V also has best-ever April, rising 3.4 percent on sales of 29,452 vehicles
Honda Fit sales jumped 55.6 percent to lead American Honda April performers
Acura division sales leapt 5.3 percent in April, fueled by a steep 29.4 percent rise in sedan sales led by TLX with sales of 4,093 vehicles
Honda Pilot posts a substantial 28 percent gain even as an all-new Pilot and HR-V prepare to do battle in a hot truck market
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported April 2015 Honda and Acura vehicle sales of 130,068 units, with Acura cars rising 29.4 percent on sales of 5,932 vehicles and Honda trucks gaining 2.0 percent on sales of 52,635 units for a new April record. Overall American Honda sales decreased 1.8 percent versus a strong April 2014 sales total, with the Honda Division posting sales of 115,194 vehicles in April, a decrease of 2.7 percent for the month, and the Acura Division gaining 5.3 percent on sales of 14,874 vehicles in the same period.

Honda
Honda light trucks continue to resonate with consumers shopping in mainstream market segments, witnessed by yet another robust month for the outgoing 2015 Pilot—even as it makes room for the 2016 model—plus another strong month for the best-selling CR-V as it set a new April record, nearly reaching 30,000 sales; both vehicles contributed to a new April Honda light truck sales record. Bucking recent trends toward trucks, the Fit blazed another 55+ percent monthly increase while Civic also gained solid ground, up more than 2.8 percent over April 2014.
Honda light trucks set a new April record, rising 2.0 percent on sales of 52,635 units.
The best-selling CR-V also had record April sales, gaining 3.4 percent on sales of 29,452 vehicles.
The outgoing 2015 Pilot posted sales of 11,222 vehicles—a stout increase of 28 percent in April.
In the midst of a shrinking sedan market, Civic sales were up 2.8 percent for the month on sales of 28,380 and the amazing Fit posted sales of 6,529 units to leap 55.6 percent in April, while Accord posted strong sales of 27,251 units.
"With the CR-V and current Pilot selling so well, and the HR-V and all-new Pilot soon entering the market, our truck lineup is set to drive a very strong 2015 for the Honda brand," said Jeff Conrad, Honda Division senior vice president and general manager. "Though the scales are definitely tipped toward trucks at the moment, we're really pleased at how Fit, Civic and Accord continue to outperform their rivals in the retail marketplace."

Acura
Even as Acura SUVs continue to perform well, Acura sedans showed renewed strength as the superbly balanced TLX set the bar for the brand in April, with sales of 4,093 units putting the TLX firmly in the top sales tier of its segment and pushing total Acura sales up 5.3 percent for the month. Acura's pace-setting luxury SUVs—RDX and MDX—also continued with brisk sales in April.
Total Acura brand sales gained 5.3 percent in April, with total sales reaching 14,874.
TLX drove the April increase on sales of 4,093 units for the month; sedan sales are up 29.4 percent since the beginning of the year.
Combined MDX and RDX sales continue to be a formidable force in the luxury SUV game—despite a changeover from 2015 to 2016 model production—with RDX sales reaching 3,972 and MDX finding 4,970 buyers in April for a total of almost 9,000 units for the month.
"The Acura TLX has renewed momentum that will continue to grow in the months ahead as it makes major inroads in the tough luxury sedan market," said Mike Accavitti, Acura Division senior vice president and general manager. "Despite tight supply during the transition from outgoing 2015 models to newly refreshed 2016 models, the RDX and MDX continued to perform exceptionally well in April."
The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
Malibu Flyer (05-01-2015), neuronbob (05-03-2015)
Old 05-02-2015, 05:10 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I read though it fast but didn't see anything about RLX sales
Old 05-02-2015, 05:12 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
year to date april 2015 is 1 ZDX? who got that thing? that zdx guy that comes on that is going to get the 2016 RLX ?
Old 05-02-2015, 08:42 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by krava
year to date april 2015 is 1 ZDX? who got that thing? that zdx guy that comes on that is going to get the 2016 RLX ?
Nope. Bought mine new on June 28, 2013. Almost 2 years later and 17,567 miles and I am still in love with my ZDX. If I do decide to trade for the 2016 RLX, it will be around this time next year when I'm sure there will be great deals on them. I may even get the Sport Hybrid.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:08 PM
Senior Moderator

RLX is off the cliff in sales. Too bad....

As much as I like the car, a complete lack of marketing, a lack of lease deals, and a lack of a blue and white roundel or a tripoint-star logo continue to make an otherwise competent car moribund in sales.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:23 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
RLX is off the cliff in sales. Too bad....
I still think they were just giving Honda people something to buy who'd run out of other Hondas to buy.

:-)

I've already harped on how well the car did with the round trip to Florida and back with four people in the car, but I just got back from the NASA event at VIR and after the 3 ½ hour trip to get there, I really felt like I hadn't been on the road for much longer than if I'd run down to the grocery store.

People might complain about a "harsh" suspension, but it's a great combination for eating up the miles, if you ask me.

Great audio, various sources to keep up with world events, solid iPhone integration, very supportive and comfortable seats, lots of responsive power, over 30 miles per gallon, and quiet enough to hear yourself think.

I don't care how many they make or sell.

If anybody asks me to do it, I could sell the hell out of them.

It's not a car your average salesman is going to understand or want to buy, himself.

Now that you mention it, my own salesman (who's the sales manager) drives a Chevy Avalanche.

The following 4 users liked this post by George Knighton:
fsmith (05-04-2015), hondamore (05-04-2015), neuronbob (05-04-2015), pgeorg (05-04-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
^ so what happens when they decide to axe it because it simply doesn't sell?

Unless Honda/Acura doesn't care and will spend the money to keep producing it even if it is a horrible seller. All I care about is the longevity and future availability of the model.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:39 PM
Grandpa

Who knows why they do what they do.

They admitted ten years ago that although dealers made a lot of money on each of them, Honda as the manufacturer lost a couple of hundred dollars on each DC2 ITR that they made. The 1996 (JDM only) and 1997 model years, they supposedly lost over a grand each, because of all the moving of chassis around to the custom shops, and the hand tooling of the original B18C(*) motor.

Who knows.

The maximum capacity of the Legend line at Saiyama is below what a US manufacturer would consider worthy.

So who knows.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:41 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
W

The maximum capacity of the Legend line at Saiyama is below what a US manufacturer would consider worthy.

So who knows.

Do we assume that the 2016 RLXh is being produced in Saiyama since I haven't heard anything about the production coming here?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
Do we assume that the 2016 RLXh is being produced in Saiyama since I haven't heard anything about the production coming here?
I think that is a safe assumption for the 2016 model year...beyond that will depend on a lot of factors especially how different it is when they do their MMC and if a "re-launch" including marketing it along with the NSX can generate more sales.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:46 AM
Grandpa

I'd love for it to be here and I've love for it to be mass produced, but I'd only trust them to do it in Ohio.

And even if we accept that we would countenance the build in Indiana or Alabama, I still don't see how the capacity can be added with everything else going on.

It's going to remain a relatively low volume car, and I don't think they want it to be anything else.

The North American teams have huge hits with the CR-V, HR-V, Accord, Civic, Odyssey, MDX, TLX, RDX....

Honda's still a relatively small company compared to Toyota and others, and even if they really wanted to bring it over here, I don't see where they have the line capacity.

What appeared to be incrementally extra capacity in Ohio was just reconfigured for some kind of Civic-based car, and I still don't know what that is. Maybe a CLX (ILX Coupe) with the CTR motor? Or maybe they're building all of a new version of Civic with the CTR motor to give us a Coupe or Sedan version of the British hatch they said they will import?

Old 05-06-2015, 09:09 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
A couple years ago was there an announcement/comment that the SH would be manufactured in the same Ohio plant as the NSX? Or, is that my old mind playing tricks?
Old 05-06-2015, 11:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

^^Your mind is sharp as a tack, it was indeed announced that the RLX would EVENTUALLY be made at the same new facility that the NSX is being built. Perhaps once the initial run of collectors get their NSX's and the volume slows to a trickle, the facility can switch it's capacity to the refreshed RLX Sport Hybrid. My guess would be for the 2018 model released in early 2017.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:42 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Are any RLX's currently being made in Ohio? I told a buddy my car was made in Japan and he corrected me and said its made in the USA. I told him my door badge says its made in Japan and he then said "oh well, the 2015's are". He is wrong correct?
Old 05-06-2015, 06:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^ He is wrong. The RLX remains the only Acura made in Japan.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:29 AM
Safety Car

Red face May: 239; 24 Hybrids

Jun 2, 2015 - TORRANCE, Calif.

Honda Fit again impresses with an 82-percent gain to lead strong Honda sedan sales
New HR-V debuts with incredible 6,381 units sold in half a month to lead record May Honda light truck sales with a 10.6-percent year-over-year gain to 63,979 units
Acura's 1st-year TLX continues to drive Acura sedan sales increases with second consecutive 4,000+ unit month for a 43.5-percent year-over-year sedan sales hike
Upgraded RDX 1st full sales month punches well over 5,000 units smashing May 2014 numbers by 24.3 percent and setting a new all-time monthly sales record
Top Acura performers accelerated the luxury brand sales by a substantial 16.1 percent
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported May 2015 Honda and Acura vehicle sales of 154,593 units, with Honda light trucks gaining 10.6 percent on sales of 63,979 units and Acura sedans increasing 43.5 percent on sales of 6,278 vehicles. Month-to-month American Honda total sales were up 1.3 percent year-over-year, with the Acura Division gaining 16.1 percent on sales of 17,042 vehicles in May and the Honda Division posting sales of 137,551 vehicles, a decrease of 0.3 percent for the month.

Honda
With the introduction of the all-new HR-V entry crossover further strengthening the perennially popular Honda light truck lineup, the trifecta of HR-V, CR-V and Pilot CUVs proved a winning sales combination in May. The lineup will gain greater momentum with the June debut of the all-new 3rd-generation 2016 Pilot. The introductory vehicle to the Honda car lineup, the Fit is finding homes with a steeply increasing number of individual buyers, posting an 82% gain to 6,342 units in May. Accord and Civic continue to be incredibly popular, topping 30,000 units in sales, along with America's most popular SUV, the Honda CR-V.
Honda light trucks beat previous May record by 6,144 units for a total of 63,979 vehicles.
Sales of the second-generation 2015 Pilot increased 17 percent to 11,760 ahead of introduction of the third-generation 2016 model.
Fit posts 3rd consecutive month of over-6,000 unit sales for an 82-percent year-over-year May increase.
"The new Honda HR-V hit the ground running with an incredible sales performance in just a half month on the market with the all-new 2016 Pilot coming to market this month to further accelerate light truck sales," said Jeff Conrad, Honda Division senior vice president and general manager. "Despite the market trend toward light truck sales, our trio of Fit-Civic-Accord remains popular with individual buyers, and we're looking forward to a summer of hot sales."

Acura
Sales of the new TLX luxury sport sedan and upgraded ILX gateway luxury sedan boosted Acura sedan sales to an impressive increase of 43.5% from May 2014 with a total of 4,352 TLX models and 1,673 ILXs sold. Adding to Acura's overall 16.1% month-to-month gain to 17,042 vehicles was the refreshed RDX with all-time record sales of 5,343 units, combining with the popular MDX to produce sales of 10,764 Acura luxury SUVs in May.
With a total of 17,042 units sold, Acura brand sales gained 16.1% in May; every current Acura model up from previous month
Acura sedan sales up by 43.5% for May with a total of 6,278 vehicles driven by TLX sales of 4,352 units and ILX sales of 1,673.
MDX and RDX both post sales numbers over 5,000 units each for a May record total Acura light truck sales of 10,764 vehicles
"The Acura sedan lineup continues to build strong momentum with an increasing number of luxury customers getting behind the wheel of our TLX and ILX luxury performance models, " said Mike Accavitti, Acura Division senior vice president and general manager. "Together with the benchmark MDX and recently refreshed RDX, both topping 5,000 units in sales, we're looking forward to a long, hot summer of Acura sales."
The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
hondamore (06-02-2015), neuronbob (06-02-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Safety Car

Talking Surprised by the Hybrid #s

Jul 1, 2015 - TORRANCE, Calif.
Honda and Acura trucks post record June sales, beating the previous best by more than 3,500 units
Acura sedan sales double to lead brand increase of 38.6 percent in June
Acura RDX sets June sales record, up 45.1 percent on sales of 5,056 units
Honda CR-V sales up rise 8.5 percent with sales of 28,349 for a new June record
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported June 2015 Honda and Acura vehicle sales of 134,397 units, an increase of 4.2 percent. Acura sedans led AHM's June increase, gaining 107.9 percent on sales of 5,878. Acura truck sales also increased, rising 15.2 percent with sales of 9,649 vehicles for a new June record. Honda trucks gained 18 percent on sales of 57,667, also a record for June, while Honda car sales were down 11.3 percent with 61,203 units sold. Total Honda brand sales reached 118,870 for a gain of 1 percent.

Honda
Honda trucks had a record month of June, gaining 18 percent. Honda's newest entry in the light truck market—the HR-V—continues to grab consumer attention, with sales topping 7,700 units in June, easily exceeding its stellar debut last month. The best-selling CR-V also enjoyed a record June and despite the strong consumer appetite for trucks, Honda's Accord and Civic continued strong sales while the Honda Fit scorched the sales charts yet again. Odyssey also gained ground in June.
The best-selling CR-V posted record June sales, realizing a 8.5 percent increase on sales of 28,349 vehicles.
Overall light truck sales remain on a record pace with Odyssey posting a 6.5 percent increase in June with sales of 11,621, supporting the record sales of CR-V and strong start for HR-V while the all-new 2016 Pilot enters the market.
Sales of the versatile Fit jumped 26.3 percent, with 4,669 vehicles sold last month, part of the strong passenger car lineup that included combined sales of nearly 60,000 units for Civic and Accord.
"With the introduction of the 2016 Pilot late last month, our SUV lineup is the strongest it has ever been, and it was already in very good shape," said Jeff Conrad, Honda Division senior vice president and general manager. "The next several months will be exciting as we begin to renew and expand our car lineup."

Acura
Acura sedans stepped into the sales limelight in June, continuing recent momentum and doubling last year's June sedan sales total on the strength of TLX and ILX. Overall Acura sales totaled 15,527, lifting the brand 38.6 percent in June. Not to be outdone, Acura's RDX captured yet another sales record in June while MDX remained in high demand, though somewhat capacity constrained. Overall, Acura truck sales were up 15.2 percent with sales of 9,649 vehicles.
TLX sales continued to gain momentum, nearly reaching 4,000 units again.
ILX took a sharp upward turn with a record June performance, gaining 79.1 percent on sales of 1,662. Acura sedan sales totaled 5,878 in June, a 107.9 percent increase.
The recently refreshed RDX continued to resonate strongly with customers, up 45.1 percent on sales of 5,056 for its best June on record.
"It is exciting to see Acura sedans enjoy success in the face of a market where light trucks have been dominating," said Mike Accavitti, Acura Division senior vice president and general manager. "We're pleased by the record month for the refreshed RDX, but the growing momentum of the TLX and ILX is key to the future of the Acura brand."
The following 8 users liked this post by TSX69:
2011TL (07-01-2015), hondamore (07-01-2015), jskillz95 (07-01-2015), Malibu Flyer (07-01-2015), neuronbob (07-01-2015), pgeorg (07-01-2015), sooththetruth (07-02-2015), TampaRLX-SH (07-01-2015) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-03-2015, 07:32 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
RLX must have powerful support somewhere at Honda headquarters.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by R. White
RLX must have powerful support somewhere at Honda headquarters.
^^Likely in the Research and Development department for the technology test bed that the RLX has become AND likely in the Executive offices because they all want to drive one.
fsmith (07-04-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 06:26 AM
Senior Moderator

RLX Sales

^^^^
That's not even a joke. they probably do want to drive one. Those not impressed with eSH-AWD haven't driven the car hard enough. Yeah, it might feel a little artificial for a race car driver, but as I keep saying, it makes a chump drive like a champ. For an ordinary driver like me, it is a little empowering.
fsmith (07-04-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 07:55 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Bob, please tell us you have not been spotted tooling around in your SH with racing goggles and a cape? Da dah DAH!

neuronbob (07-04-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 08:42 AM
Grandpa

Yeah, it might feel a little artificial for a race car driver....
Depends on the series. :-)

In a series like Honda-Challenge, people do controversial things like remove the power steering on a DC2 ITR, but don't change the steering rack. So you're not only very connected, but the steering is so heavy that you find people compensating by having larger steering wheels than you'd think.

It works, except in a carousel you can find yourself steering like Barney Oldfield.

At the high end, race cars are all going to feel more or less artificial. Steering ratios so strange that you can do a U turn without having to turn the wheel a full rotation, and you never have to shuffle steer at all because the steering ratio is so very high.

Everything you're looking at is digital, and you might have HUD in front of your eyes.

At the high end, "race drivers" have been dealing with no-feeling "artificial" input and reaction for a while, now.

It's just the way it is.

If you expect a car to feel like you're driving a 1969 ALFA Spyder, you're just never going to find it. :-)

It's going to be more and more like a video game...not much feedback, but when you move a control, the vehicle moves, and you learn to trust it and believe without feedback that the car is going to do what you tell it to do.

An interesting real world feedback that you will get in both the 4G TL 6-6 and the 5G Legend is in your backbone, seat of your pants and momentum sensors in your ears when your foot is down in a corner and you realize even as you bounce over the gater that the car is rotating, efficiently and confidently, instead of either plowing or forcing you to slow down by activating electronic safety controls.

It's different. What feedback there is will be different from what you've felt in the past, but things have to progress, and we all have to grow up.
neuronbob (07-04-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 08:51 AM
Grandpa

I have to say...there might be a couple of times that I thought the 4G TL might've been a little more competent at some things.

In theory, you can get as much as 270 HP on a single rear wheel with a 4G TL 6-6.

With the Legend, you've got that 37 HP motor on the inside pulling, and the 37 HP motor on the outside pushing, but most of the pulling is being done by the combined 360 or so HP on the front. It's a different feeling completely, but there's a moment in a corner where you get the feeling the 4G TL might've been quicker at that one moment...just ⅛ s at that one moment....

And it still might be quicker overall in the Legend, despite that nagging feeling that for just that one moment the TL was more competent.

I referred to 360 HP on the nose, but, you know, we're not really sure about that. They tell you that it's the same 310 HP J Motor, plus the 47 HP electrics, but you also run across occasional references to re-tuning the valve timing on the J Motor.

Did they do that with the computer, or are there different camshafts?

And either way, how could it possibly be the exact same HP?

And here's a Barney Oldfield reminder for all you youngsters:

neuronbob (07-04-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 11:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
"If you expect a car to feel like you're driving a 1969 ALFA Spyder, you're just never going to find it. :-)"

I had one of those! It really wasn't fast, just felt that way
Old 07-04-2015, 12:43 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by getakey
"If you expect a car to feel like you're driving a 1969 ALFA Spyder, you're just never going to find it. :-)"

I had one of those! It really wasn't fast, just felt that way
A 120 hp roller skate.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:16 AM
Senior Moderator

213 with 28 hybrids

Up 2.4%
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
pgeorg (08-04-2015), TSX69 (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 08:39 AM
Grandpa

Up 2.4%
Old 08-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Safety Car

Arrow Hybrid Sales

I know that the RLX hybrid's sales do not look all that impressive, but it is not doing bad comparatively to others in its class:
July; Year So Far
RLX 28; 147
Q70 11; 107
GS450h 11; 65
5series 5; 13
Eclass 2; 50
This is not high volume segment as I do not remember ever seeing it go beyond double digits in a month for any of the models. With Toyota being the main hybrid seller & the GS outselling the RLX & Q70, I would have thought the hybrid variant would have outsold them too.

The following 7 users liked this post by TSX69:
George Knighton (08-06-2015), hondamore (08-07-2015), Malibu Flyer (08-06-2015), neuronbob (08-06-2015), pgeorg (08-07-2015), TampaRLX-SH (08-06-2015), wstr75 (08-06-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-07-2015, 01:14 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

This indicates that luxury sedan buyers don't want hybrid technology, and also don't care about their gas bills.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:00 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

For August: 187 PAWS 34 Sport Hybrids

America Honda Reports Strong Car and Truck Sales for August 2015

9/1/2015 1:40:00 PM

Honda CR-V breaks all-time record with 34,771 units sold, rising 2.0 percent
Honda Accord, Civic and CR-V combine to exceed 100,000 sales in August
Acura TLX gains more than 90 percent in August, with 4,353 vehicles sold
Acura RDX continues strong run, up 9.5 percent on sales of 4,364
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported August 2015 sales of 155,491 Honda and Acura vehicles, a decrease of 6.9 percent over August 2014, when the industry had one additional selling day and an early Labor Day weekend. The Honda Division sold a total of 140,178 units, while Acura reported 15,313 vehicles sold in August.

Honda
New Honda cars and trucks sold briskly last month, despite the calendar differences from a particularly strong August 2014, with Accord, Civic and CR-V easily surpassing the 100,000 mark in combined sales to stay on pace to top 1 million units and CR-V having its best month in history. Odyssey also notched a sales gain for the third straight month.

CR-V breaks all-time monthly sales record, rising 2.0 percent on sales of 34,771 units
Total truck sales were up 6.9 percent on sales of 63,897 with the all new HR-V crossover passing 4,500.
Accord, Civic and CR-V each posted more than 30,000 sales in August, with Accord topping 40,000 units and combining for a total of 107,733 vehicles sold
"The shorter sales month versus last year obscures the continued strong sales momentum of core Honda models," said Jeff Conrad, Honda Division senior vice president and general manager. "We're working hard to keep up with the strong demand for our trucks, while our sedans continue to set the bar for retail sales."

Acura
Acura sedans enjoyed healthy August sales, strongly buoyed by the TLX as well as the redesigned ILX. The new RDX continued a quick sales pace, while MDX sales were slowed by short inventory. Total Acura sales are up more than 10 percent year-to-date.

Sales of the TLX – Acura's best-selling sedan— continued on a hot streak, increasing 90.4 percent on sales of 4,353 for the month
Overall Acura sedan sales gained 24 percent for a total of 6,202 units sold in August
RDX sales were up 9.5 percent in August, with 4,364 units sold in one of the industry's hottest segments
"Strong sales of both sedans and trucks is now a reality for the Acura brand," said John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda. "Our lineup has avoided the ups and downs of the market which is keeping Acura on pace for our best sales year since 2007."

America Honda Reports Strong Car and Truck Sales for August 2015 - Honda.com
The following 5 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (09-01-2015), Malibu Flyer (09-01-2015), pgeorg (09-01-2015), TSX69 (09-01-2015), wstr75 (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 12:38 PM
Pro

Yr. over Yr. RLX PAWS sales were down 35%

181 Sport Hybrids sold YTD

Sport Hybrid sales represented 18% of RLX sales for August and 11% of RLX sales for 2015.

The Sports Hybrid numbers are impressive given their very limited availability.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:50 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Yr. over Yr. RLX PAWS sales were down 35%

181 Sport Hybrids sold YTD

Sport Hybrid sales represented 18% of RLX sales for August and 11% of RLX sales for 2015.

The Sports Hybrid numbers are impressive given their very limited availability.
It may difficult to trend demand for the SH just because of the restricted build numbers and the acquisition challenges to the consumer. If they don't taper off in the next 2 months, but instead remain steady or increase, that would tell me the SH would sell respectably more without the aforementioned constraints.

I know some disagree, but I think Acura should only offer the RLX in SH form at this point and separate itself from their failure of the PAWs (even if the issues have been corrected.

The RLX as a low volume exclusive and somewhat exotic is wiser IMHO.
hondamore (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 03:20 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Doesn't all of the competition offer AWD without the need and expense of hybrid technology? Luxury buyers want AWD or at least RWD.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by pcloadletter
Doesn't all of the competition offer AWD without the need and expense of hybrid technology? Luxury buyers want AWD or at least RWD.
The Sport Hybrid does a lot more than only provide AWD. First the torque vectoring of the SH provides better handling than the typical AWD [or RWD] system, because among other things, it works all of the time, not just when you accelerate. More importantly, the SH offers V-8 performance with great gas mileage and the acceleration that does not "suffer" from the lag of a gas only power plant. The electric motors provide "instant" power.

Yes, there are some downsides, additional weight and cost, but IMHO you do get more for your money than is provided by the typical AWD or RWD car. I am not saying that everyone will think it is better necessarily but it is definitely different.

If you haven't driven the car it is hard to understand the difference in the handling and performance the Sport Hybrid provides. It is a unique ride and hard to compare directly with most gas driven cars and most other hybrids, which generally are trying to maximize MPG and not performance.

Almost everyone on AZ was sold on the car after taking a test ride. While that is a small sample of folks who for the most part are already Acura fans, it is a consistent comment from those of us who own the car.
The following 5 users liked this post by Malibu Flyer:
fsmith (09-01-2015), hondamore (09-01-2015), neuronbob (09-01-2015), pgeorg (09-01-2015), wstr75 (09-01-2015)

Quick Reply: RLX Sales