RLX Ride and Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I fully agree that on hybrids, dual exhaust don't make sense. On vehicles that aren't marketed as being sports sedans (like the RLX and the ILX to an extent), it makes sense too but on the TLX, it should have it in my opinion. I am fine with my RDX not having them either, it gives it a nice cleaner look but a well integrated dual exhaust system can make the car sexier.

For the ILX, I think they should have had the dual exausts (like the TSX) on the 2.4 engine to differential it from the 2.0 engine but again, it is not a must on the ILX as it looks quite nice from the rear. I may be totally surprised and happy with no dual exhausts on the TLX so I reserve judgement until I see it....Acura designers will have the burden of convincing me that they can pull it off
Old 02-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
if dual exhaust doesn't make sense on a hybrid, how is 370hp supposed to make sense?

I think power should = dual exhaust or some crazy sport styling to distinguish from lesser models.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 037
I think power should = dual exhaust or some crazy sport styling to distinguish from lesser models.
That is what I am saying....The dual exhausts should present (and visible) on a powerful sports sedan. While the RLX has lots of power, it is not intended to reach out to the crowd as a powerful sedan but rather, a luxury sedan (Flagship) so I can see why this makes sense they took them out on the RLX. On the TLX, I hope it will be there....

On your previous comment about the 370HP hybrid....were you referring to the NSX? For me, even though the NSX will sport a hybrid under pining, it is not geared as the hybrid on a Prius...Hard to explain but you know what I mean...

Last edited by weather; 02-24-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Safety Car

no, I was referring to the RLX with the 370hp comment, I sure as hell hope NSX has over 500hp.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:23 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
In White Pearl, the RLX is quite the looker. I test drove one this past Friday, and I think it looks better in person than in pictures. Interior is a bit disappointing with regard to the center stack, it just doesn't scream $61k (which was the price with the Advance package).
Old 02-25-2013, 04:47 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by atruedsgb
In White Pearl, the RLX is quite the looker. I test drove one this past Friday, and I think it looks better in person than in pictures. Interior is a bit disappointing with regard to the center stack, it just doesn't scream $61k (which was the price with the Advance package).
It is a nice looking car, better in person than in pictures. The problem is the features that are most desirable are on the Advanced trim which like you said seems a bit high priced. $5K less and this car sells a lot more. Maybe after the newness of the car wears off, and the demand from early adopters has been satisfied, it will be discounted like the RL.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I drove one last week. Loved every moment of it. Excellent car, everything is put together so nicely. I own a '12 RDX, and have spent extensive amounts of seat time in both '12 TL and '12 MDX, and damn the '14 RLX is just... on another level in every way.

The only thing I really saw as an oversite was the damned orange peel in the paint. Would it have killed them to spend some time wet sanding?

Some crappy cell phone snaps I took:

Old 03-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do you think Acura did a good job putting RLX with Macpherson struts instead of double wishbones found in the 4th gen TL
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by the_razor
do you think Acura did a good job putting RLX with Macpherson struts instead of double wishbones found in the 4th gen TL
the RLX does have double wishbone upfront.
"Chassis:Precision All-Wheel Steer™ system, front double-wishbone, rear multi-link suspensions"
The following users liked this post:
the_razor (03-15-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 09:54 AM
KES
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I stopped down this am and took a look at one in the lot.

Does the RLX have run flats? It listed no spare but a leak sealant and inflator. Not sure I want to drive a car that I can not be on my way after a half hour tire change.

Also, the back seat is really for two people given the hump in the middle (to accommodate the AWD shaft?).

As much as I want a car I think I will bbe waiting for the new MDX.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Suzuka Master

KES...With all due respect, I am not sure how you can consider the RLX and the MDX as part of a "if option A doesn't work, I'll get option B". They are so different, and have different purposes that they should not be cross-shopped at all IMO. Now if you said, I don't like the interior layout and features, and instead, will get a BMW 7 Series or a Mercedes, I could see that but Flagship vs SUV, seems like two different beast together.

No disrespect, just stating the first thoughts that came to mind when I read your post.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:05 PM
KES
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
KES...With all due respect, I am not sure how you can consider the RLX and the MDX as part of a "if option A doesn't work, I'll get option B". They are so different, and have different purposes that they should not be cross-shopped at all IMO. Now if you said, I don't like the interior layout and features, and instead, will get a BMW 7 Series or a Mercedes, I could see that but Flagship vs SUV, seems like two different beast together.

No disrespect, just stating the first thoughts that came to mind when I read your post.
Easy aswer, I want a vehicle that seats five adults and prefer to stay with Acura (for a lot of reasons - mostly my excellent experience with my current vehicles). The TL has the same rear middle seat problem. I was hoping the larger RL with a new design would have a flat rear seat. I was planning to keep my MDX as the SUV and get a large car for work. The RLX does not meet this requirement so I will probably trade the MDX in on a new one.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Safety Car

Took wife to check out the RLX yesterday, the first thing that impressed me is the amount of stench coming out of the car, excuse my french.

Looked around and the shifter seemed big enough for midget hands.

Wife was curious about the two screens but did not seem so impressed with pushing one and seeing something on another.

Checked out the back seat personally and it does seem much larger than the 09 RL I used to drive and the front seat was moved up quite a bit.

Then I looked at the sticker, 55k with tech package. And I thought to my self, what the hell? I had a CMBS 09 with the same sticker price except I had SH-AWD and the same features of the Advance package including cooled seats which are nowhere near the current car.

Tech package doesn't even include rear heated seats! The one's you can get on an Elantra!!!

So basically I was pretty dissappointed, I was hoping to step out of my Genesis and be vowed by Acura so I can wait out the RLX awd and jump back on board, but even the headliner used in the car wasn't as good as the one in my 09 RL, better than my Genesis but still not as good as the old car at the same price.

Then I got to the jewel lights, they look good when they're off, but I saw absolutely nothing impressive with them on, the car did not look anything special, no dazzle or anything! Maybe they light up the road better during the night but I sure can't see them being anything special when looking from the outside.

A point of discussion with my wife was the now famous P-AWS, it sounds great in practice, but how is it a selling point?

Nothing from the looks of the car shows that it has anything special about it, all wheel drive is known as fix it all for rain and snow, rear wheel steering may only process those in the know. My wife looked at it and let's say she saw 0 benefit to it. I think most people who would be in a market for a car like RLX would not want to pay extra to have P-AWS on the rear on their car.

I've enjoyed my 09 RL for 2.5 years and did not look back when migrating to a 2012 Genesis, I did not look back on the RLX as I was going back to my car. I did not feel that RLX was an upgrade to my car that had MSRP of $44,000 in July of 2011.

I am hoping the AWD version will wow us with it's performance numbers but the FWD RLX is squarely off my list of cars to consider when the time comes for an upgrade.

----end rant
Old 03-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Safety Car

here's a render of a possible 2014 Genesis, just for kicks

Old 03-11-2013, 05:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Actually here is a recent spy shot of it being test driven and the interior, I am very eager to see this sedan unveiled.

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/03/sco...an-filmed.html
Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a great Car!