RLX P-AWS Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
RLX P-AWS Review

My brother was invited by his local dealer to attend a ride-and-drive event for the soon to be released RLX. Here are his impressions:

Power Acura of South Bay received their allotted two demo units of the 2014 Acura RLX and I had the good fortune of the dealer contacting me for a test drive. Both my brother and I have been following the development of the RLX quite closely, so naturally, I could not pass up this opportunity. The two units Power Acura had received were a white tech package model, and a dark blue advanced package model. Unfortunately, the general manager of Power Acura had decided to take the advanced model home with him, leaving only the tech package available for preview.

For those who are not yet familiar with the 2014 Acura RLX, Acura's replacement for the slow-selling RL, some of the highlights of the car are:
- 3.5 liter "Earth Dreams" SOHC, Direct Injected, Variable Cylinder Management (3 and 6 cylinder operation modes) equipped V-6
- 310 horsepower, 272 lb./ft. of torque
- Precision-All Wheel Steer (P-AWS)
- "Jewel Eye" LED headlights
- Smart entry keyless entry and push button start
- Electronic parking brake
- Multi-Angle rear view camera
- 8 inch color multi-information display
- 7 inch multi-use touch screen

The tech package model also adds the following:
- Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition
- 19 inch noise reducing alloy wheels
- Michelin 245/40/19 all-season tires
- Premium Milano leather seats
- Blind Spot info system
- 14 Speaker Acura ELS sound system
- Acoustic Glass
- Rain sensing wipers
- Power retractable side mirrors
- Smart entry for all four doors and trunk

The Good

At first glance, the RLX is quite the handsome looking vehicle from a distance, especially in the white pearl that enshrouded the demo unit. The body possesses an attractive shape, and even works well with the now much maligned "power-plenum" grill. Acura's new Jewel Eye LED headlights are the definite crowning achievement of the RLX design. The tech package's 19-inch alloy wheels provide an aggressive stance for the vehicle, and do a fine job of filling out the wheel wells. Since a base model and navigation model were not available for demo, I can only assume the 18 inch wheels that come with those two models would appear smallish.

The inside of the RLX is a dramatic improvement over the second generation RL. Gone is the four spoke steering wheel cluttered with buttons, and in its place is a thick rimmed, three spoke steering wheel with a few buttons and two scroll wheels. Also gone is the button heavy center stack, and in its place are two screens with the most commonly used controls for HVAC and radio using physical knobs and buttons. Acura has also finally upgraded the RLX's navigation screen to the latest version which has a higher resolution and appears significantly crisper. Surprisingly enough, the multi-function touch screen in the center responds promptly to inputs. In our review of the Cadillac ATS, both my brother and I criticized Cadillac's CUE system for the lag exhibited between touching the screen and the system responding. Acura seems to have gotten it right as touching an icon on the RLX's screen brings about a near instantaneous response.

Looking around, virtually every surface within reach is swaddled in a soft touch leather. This definitely gives the car a very upscale feel compared to the interior of the RL. In the tech package trim and above, the seats are covered in a premium Milano leather, which is definitely softer and more supple than the standard leather Acura has included in its vehicles over the years.

Since it was introduced as a concept, Acura has touted the RLX as being "BMW 5-series size on the outside, but 7-series size on the inside." A claim they have definitely lived up to. The front seats of the RLX feels roughly the same size as the RL, but the rear seating is absolutely cavernous! With the driver's seat adjusted to my preferred position, the available leg room makes me confident that a person well over six feet tall would be able to sit comfortably in the back seats.

Also of note, the RLX is significantly quieter than the second generation RL. Acura's use of acoustic glass, and revised road noise absorbing alloy wheels deliver a one-two punch in making the cabin nearly tomb quiet. Seeing as how most owner complaints of the second generation RL came in the form of road and wind noise, the RLX will not disappoint in this department. All of this sound deadening does not detract in the least from the amazing note produced by the RLX's gem of an engine. Acura's 6-cylinder motors have always made the right sort of mechanical symphony, especially when pressed hard.

Probably the biggest highlight of the RLX is the way the car drives. For a front wheel drive luxury cruiser weighing in at nearly 4,000 pounds, this thing hustles. Tap the "Sport" button below the shifter, mash the throttle and the car just comes alive. The exhaust note generated by the new "Earth Dreams" 3.5L V-6 is deep, rich and satisfying. It is actually a little surprising that an engine that can give such a big car this much thrust, can also potentially deliver 31 highway miles per gallon. And like every other J-series motor Honda has produced, this one is buttery smooth in its power delivery.

The RLX's handling and steering was actually quite a surprise. While the last generation RL handled fairly well, in no small part due to the SH-AWD system, it just could not shake the big, soft, spongy feeling when being thrown through a corner. With the RLX, the amount of body roll feels significantly less than with the RL, giving the car a more planted feeling through the corners. While I was not driving fast enough to trigger the Precision-All Wheel Steer, cleverly called P-AWS, at highway speeds, I was able to observe its effect at parking lot speeds, maneuvering the big RLX through Power Acura's parking with the greatest of ease. In terms of steering feel, the RLX offers a surprising amount of feed back while cornering and at low speeds. With sport mode active, steering tightens and responds quicker, which definitely helps the driver feel more confident when moving this giant sedan around. Does this mean Acura has finally gotten electric power steering correct? Almost.
Read the full review and see the photos on our blog
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I have been reading a little about this P-AWS system. Is this intended to replace the AWD in some part?

When watching the torque meter on the 2G RL, you can see P-AWS handling some of the same duties....

Going down a hill, SH-AWD will shunt an equal amount of torque to the rear, while not seeming to apply any to the front, so you have a sort of stabilizing effect downhill...sort of the same as the P-AWS toe in on both rear tires.

The SH-AWD torque shifting to the outer wheel seems to be mimicked by the P-AWS adding individual rear wheel steering inputs.

So is this Honda's way of arriving at the same result with less weight and different technology? In practice, how much of a game changer is the P-AWS, which is much different than the older Prelude 4WS, which did work quite well, as simple as it was. Many years ago, I was fortunate enough I drove a 4WS Prelude in Hong Kong traffic and parking situations, and the 4WS was quite helpful in tight spaces.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:37 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
I have been reading a little about this P-AWS system. Is this intended to replace the AWD in some part?

When watching the torque meter on the 2G RL, you can see P-AWS handling some of the same duties....

Going down a hill, SH-AWD will shunt an equal amount of torque to the rear, while not seeming to apply any to the front, so you have a sort of stabilizing effect downhill...sort of the same as the P-AWS toe in on both rear tires.

The SH-AWD torque shifting to the outer wheel seems to be mimicked by the P-AWS adding individual rear wheel steering inputs.

So is this Honda's way of arriving at the same result with less weight and different technology? In practice, how much of a game changer is the P-AWS, which is much different than the older Prelude 4WS, which did work quite well, as simple as it was. Many years ago, I was fortunate enough I drove a 4WS Prelude in Hong Kong traffic and parking situations, and the 4WS was quite helpful in tight spaces.
In short, P-AWS will not replace SH-AWD. Their intent is similar though - to minimize the understeer, to make the car feel smaller than it really is, and to improve handling. SH-AWD only works when you are on the gas, there's no active torque vectoring when you are not on the gas. P-AWS on the other hand should work in any condition. It can reduce the turning radius in a tight parking lot; it can improve stability when changing lane at high speeds; and it will also reduce understeer to help the car turn faster.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:15 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts

I think it is in part to make buyers feel better about not getting AWD in their $60K car. It probably does improve handling, and yes it must cost less than SH-AWD and increase fuel efficiency, but it is not a direct substitute.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:52 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i see this car is being listed as $60,000 car.
what remains to be seen is how much demand will there be for this car at that price.
once you go into that price range you can also get into mercedes,bmw,lexus,etc.
initially with few cars in dealerships,they will be able to get top dollar for them.
but what happens after the initial sales surge?

this model in the past was stocked and sold in low volume,and was also heavily discounted below sticker. granted this car seems to be a better car then the one it replaced,but you can almost say that about any car. the trick is to make it better with only a minimal increase in price.this model will be looking at nearly a $10,000 bump in price.

previous rl models were selling in the $50,000 range.thats a big differance.when acura was bringing in a comparably equipped car as their competition at a $10,000 saving,they had a significent edge and in spite of that edge they were having difficulty selling those cars.what makes them think the $10,000 increase will increase demand and sales? another issue of concern for some will be if this car will be able to maintain acura's reputation for better then average reliability,and resale value....only time will tell. in any event,its good to finally see acura bring their flagship car to the market. it has been somewhat neglected and certainly long overdue.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:49 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by iforyou
In short, P-AWS will not replace SH-AWD. Their intent is similar though - to minimize the understeer, to make the car feel smaller than it really is, and to improve handling. SH-AWD only works when you are on the gas, there's no active torque vectoring when you are not on the gas. P-AWS on the other hand should work in any condition. It can reduce the turning radius in a tight parking lot; it can improve stability when changing lane at high speeds; and it will also reduce understeer to help the car turn faster.
I was hoping that P-AWS would help with what I think is a terrible turning radius on the 2G RL. I saw somewhere, the turning radius is still in excess of 40 ft!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:46 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

It's still a pretty darn big car!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:14 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
It's still a pretty darn big car!
The Lexus LS is bigger, still, and has a turning radius smaller than that of a Honda Civic... even the long wheelbase version has a tighter circle.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
my dodge durango has a shorter turning radius than my RL. You mean Paws doesn't help?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Safety Car

obviously not that much...unfortunately the RL has turning radius like my minivan, and the RLX is slightly larger radius than the RL. Too bad...
Old 03-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I was hoping that P-AWS would help with what I think is a terrible turning radius on the 2G RL. I saw somewhere, the turning radius is still in excess of 40 ft!
I'm wondering of this is a typo? This (seems) to turn inside a TL and that car is 38 ft. Can someone who has driven and tried a u-turn comment?
Old 03-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I'm wondering of this is a typo? This (seems) to turn inside a TL and that car is 38 ft. Can someone who has driven and tried a u-turn comment?
I can't swear to it, but it seemed to turn sharper during my brief drive than my TSX wagon in parking situations.

The transverse engine layout is the biggest turning radius culprit. See Honda Ridgeline for damning proof of such things.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by jshaw
The Lexus LS is bigger, still, and has a turning radius smaller than that of a Honda Civic... even the long wheelbase version has a tighter circle.
More important thing is at what speed that 40 ft turning circle achieved. TSX has nearly identical turning circle with Civic but at higher speed U turn it feels much more smaller than Civic. so U turn is not best comparision.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
More important thing is at what speed that 40 ft turning circle achieved. TSX has nearly identical turning circle with Civic but at higher speed U turn it feels much more smaller than Civic. so U turn is not best comparision.

What did I just read?
Old 03-17-2013, 04:01 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Old 03-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Colin
We can only hope...see the turning radius in the RLX Specifications ...40.5 feet

Interestingly, the very nice brochure I have from the dealer omits this spec.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Just watch this at 2:44
U turn is very satisfactory.

rl.acurazine.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14375463&postcount=13
Old 03-18-2013, 12:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
So I wonder if the turning radius is misleading with the RLX because of P-AWS. I hope someone compares how the RLX turns compared to RWD cars, especially when it comes to parking the car.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:17 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea the u-turn seems to be okay in that video.....
Old 03-18-2013, 01:09 PM
2G TLX-S

Does PAWS only start working when the car is above certain speed ?
Old 03-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Does PAWS only start working when the car is above certain speed ?
If you believe this article the P-AWS works at all speeds. The article was sourced from Car and Driver

"Key to the front-wheel-drive RLX is what Acura calls Precision All-Wheel Steer (yes, animal lovers, it spells PAWS). This system has two electric motors built into the rear toe link, and each link can act independently, a world first. Under braking, PAWS will increase toe-in for enhanced stability. In a lane-change maneuver, the rear wheels will steer in the same direction as the front wheels, whereas the rear wheels turn opposite of the front in tighter corners. The total adjustment is roughly two degrees in each direction, and a Honda engineer on hand said it acts in less than a second. It also works at all speeds.

"On our test drive, a few laps around a 0.8-mile handling course, the RLX exhibited much less understeer than we expected from a large front-wheel-drive sedan. Turn-in was especially sharp, and the car held the line particularly well in sweeping corners. When coming out of corners, we did notice a slight bobble as PAWS adjusted, not enough to upset the chassis but enough to tell that the system was working."
Old 03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
2G TLX-S

Still can't explain the 40ft turning radius published spec vs. the U-turn performance as shown in the video.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
PAWS must be speed dependent. Perhaps it engages more at certain speeds than others
Old 03-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
PAWS must be speed dependent. Perhaps it engages more at certain speeds than others
P-AWS works differently at different speeds. It is supposed to turn opposite the wheels at low speeds and at higher speeds it is supposed to turn with the wheels. Should be active at pretty much all speeds.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
P-AWS works differently at different speeds. It is supposed to turn opposite the wheels at low speeds and at higher speeds it is supposed to turn with the wheels. Should be active at pretty much all speeds.
I imagine that P-AWS is a modern electronic adaptation of the 1987 4 wheel steering system introduced in the Honda Prelude, which was pretty much a mechanical system as described in this article, among many others. See in particular page 4
Old 03-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I imagine that P-AWS is a modern electronic adaptation of the 1987 4 wheel steering system introduced in the Honda Prelude, which was pretty much a mechanical system as described in this article, among many others. See in particular page 4
I wanted to buy that Prelude so badly in 1990, but you couldn't get it with 4WS and ABS. I ended up getting a Maxima SE that had neither. My wife and I bought a Prelude Si for her 4 years later - that was a fun car to drive.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 PM
2G TLX-S

But unfortunately, the Honda 4-wheel steering (4WS) and the Mazda 4WS (as used on the Mazda MX-6) were not received well, back in the 80's.

Both 4WS systems were dropped soon after, due to the lack of interest from buyers.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
But unfortunately, the Honda 4-wheel steering (4WS) and the Mazda 4WS (as used on the Mazda MX-6) were not received well, back in the 80's.

Both 4WS systems were dropped soon after, due to the lack of interest from buyers.
Well, part of it was because the Prelude was already one of the better handling FWD cars to begin with, and was light on it's feet. The heavy RLX needs all the help it can get.