RLX Intro & Packages

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 07:50 AM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
RLX Intro & Packages

Until SH-AWD models also come on board, regular 2014 RLX models with P-AWS can now be ordered and in the following configurations.

Leatherette vs. leather was the only really interesting thing that stood out to me, much like other German, etc. competitors for a long time now.

RLX:
-18” Wheels
-Jewel-Eye LED headlights
-Precision All-Wheel Steer
-Forward Collision Warning
-Lane Departure Warning
-Electric Parking Brake
-Leatherette
-Heated Front Seats
-Smart Entry / Push-button Start
-6-Speed Automatic Transmission
-ELS Audio System (10-speaker)
-HD Radio
-Backup Camera with Dynamic Guidelines

RLX WITH NAVIGATION:
(in addition to or in place of features on RLX)
-HDD Navigation System

TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE:
(in addition to or in place of features on RLX WITH NAVIGATION)
-Premium Leather Seats
-Blind Spot Information
-ELS Studio Audio System (14-Speaker)
-Acoustic Side Glass
-Rain Sensor
-Power Side Mirror
-19” Wheels

KRELL AUDIO PACKAGE:
(in addition to or in place of features on TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE)
-Krell Audio System (14-Speaker)
-Rear Door Sunshades
-Power Rear Window Sunshade

More to be confirmed, but for now what we know to order from.
The following 5 users liked this post by beach109:
ctsport (01-02-2013), getakey (12-11-2012), Ken1997TL (12-12-2012), Rocket_man (12-12-2012), TSX69 (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I wonder what the base MSRP for the leatherette version will be.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Exclamation Thanks

Concerns me that ventilated seats are not mentioned in the above. Was hoping Acura was going to stop their habit of putting them on their upper level packages. Figures the other option I want (shades) would be all the way up there on the Krell package.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
The Acura press release states there will be an Advance package above the Krell package. Can we assume the Advance package will have ventilated seats?
Old 12-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Safety Car

Angry Hmmm

That or it is a SH-SH-AWD exclusive ....
Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Damn Leatherette, the Germans have invaded Asia! I noticed Lexus started doing this now too! $50K+ for a car and you have to option up to leather, not good.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by beach109
Until SH-AWD models also come on board, regular 2014 RLX models with P-AWS can now be ordered and in the following configurations.

Leatherette vs. leather was the only really interesting thing that stood out to me, much like other German, etc. competitors for a long time now.

RLX:
-18” Wheels
-Lane Departure Warning
-Electric Parking Brake
-Leatherette
-Heated Front Seats
-HD Radio

RLX WITH NAVIGATION:
-HDD Navigation System

TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE:
-Premium Leather Seats
-Blind Spot Information
-Acoustic Side Glass
-Rain Sensor
-Power Side Mirror
-19” Wheels

KRELL AUDIO PACKAGE:
-Rear Door Sunshades

So if one were to assume this would compete against a Lexus GS350 then the MSRP pricing on the Krell model would have to be around $58K, much more than that and they have no chance. The SH-AWD I assume would then top out around $65K. I wish they would post MSPR and models I am itching for a car and year end incentives on all makes are great right now. I can even get $6K off a 13 TL AWD Advance.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have a feeling that the basic 2014 RLX will cost less than a "maxed out" 2013 TL. I guess we will find out in the spring.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
I have a feeling that the basic 2014 RLX will cost less than a "maxed out" 2013 TL. I guess we will find out in the spring.
That would be surprising indeed. If they are ordering now I would guess a Mid March on sale date probably. They do need to pull the Hyundai strategy to regain their glory days, by under cutting on price to get people to look then hopefully the car will reel them in. While I love Acura, their name is not held in the same class as many of their competitors.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by beach109

RLX:
-18” Wheels
-Lane Departure Warning
-Electric Parking Brake
-Leatherette
-Heated Front Seats
-HD Radio

RLX WITH NAVIGATION:
-HDD Navigation System

TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE:
-Premium Leather Seats
-Blind Spot Information
-Acoustic Side Glass
-Rain Sensor
-Power Side Mirror
-19” Wheels

KRELL AUDIO PACKAGE:
-Rear Door Sunshades

I missed a package, hence why no ventilated seats spelled out above.

ADVANCE PACKAGE:
(in addition to or in place of features on KRELL AUDIO PACKAGE)
-Collision Mitigation Braking System
-Adaptive Cruise Control with Low Speed Follow
-Lane Keep Assist
-Parking Sensors
-Ventilated Front Seats
-Heated Rear Seats
-Auto-Dimming Side Mirrors

Hopefully that makes more sense now.

Advance, like on TL and MDX, is above everything and includes all the rest.
The following 4 users liked this post by beach109:
ctsport (01-02-2013), Edward1 (12-18-2012), SSjTrunks112O (12-31-2012), TSX69 (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Here' what I'm thinking:
1. The RLX will be manufactured in the USA, which should reduce the cost to build.
2. The RLX will have a FWD version (albeit a modified one), which should reduce the cost to build.
3. The RLX should have an entry-level model without a navigation system or even leather, which should reduce the cost.

This is why I'm guessing the base MSRP should be around the cost of a maxed out TL, if not a little cheaper. And the base price of the RLX will definitely be lower than both the Lexus GS and the Infiniti M.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:09 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Here' what I'm thinking:
1. The RLX will be manufactured in the USA, which should reduce the cost to build.
2. The RLX will have a FWD version (albeit a modified one), which should reduce the cost to build.
3. The RLX should have an entry-level model without a navigation system or even leather, which should reduce the cost.

This is why I'm guessing the base MSRP should be around the cost of a maxed out TL, if not a little cheaper. And the base price of the RLX will definitely be lower than both the Lexus GS and the Infiniti M.
The highest priced TL is $43,385. The last MSRP on the RL I could find was $49,095. I think it is a safe bet the RLX base model will under cut the last RL. It would be a riskier bet that it would be below the TL Advance. Now the TL won't be around long and the new TLX might give Acura a chance to raise pricing on the new model. So who knows. I do think they established so many RLX trim levels in order to get the entry price down low. Too bad they are only going to put the ventilated seats on the top end trim. Be nice to see it standard, or maybe start on the Tech trim.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
May we assume that they have dropped the noise cancelling wheels? That would be a shame because the most noise in my RL comes from the wheels driving over crappy roads so that technology should be refined not dropped.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Wheels

This is from the press release altho not 100% sure if it is the same resonator thing that was introduced in the 2011 RL:
Acura Press Release
7 spoke 18x8J aluminum-alloy wheels and 245/45 R18 all-weather tires are standard, while Technology, Krell and Advance grades feature 19x8J wheels and 245/40 R19 tires. The RLX's alloy wheels also feature a noise-reducing design that lowers tire noise by 7 decibels across the audible frequency range.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Where will the RLX be built?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ANyone know if the Krell system will still feature 5.1 DVD-A capability like the ELS system?
Old 12-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
The highest priced TL is $43,385. The last MSRP on the RL I could find was $49,095. I think it is a safe bet the RLX base model will under cut the last RL. It would be a riskier bet that it would be below the TL Advance. Now the TL won't be around long and the new TLX might give Acura a chance to raise pricing on the new model. So who knows. I do think they established so many RLX trim levels in order to get the entry price down low. Too bad they are only going to put the ventilated seats on the top end trim. Be nice to see it standard, or maybe start on the Tech trim.
With the exception of the V^ TSX Acura does not usualy overlap their models in price points. Also a SH-AWD-TL Advance MSRP is $45,385 and if they keep the TL in the lineup I suspect it will go up $1-$2K in the 2014 TL which if they avoid overlap means base RLX around $50K. But there are too many variables at this point, the ILX tanked so the thought of them combining the TSX and TL into a TLX seems risky since the TSX is one of their shining stars right now. If they do shrink the TL (like the 2013 Accord) then they could do a TLX and bring the price point down a bit or leave it flat and bring the RLX in at the old RL pricing. I will say this, if the RLX AWD Hybrid comes in under $60K with the Advance package count me in, otherwise I may be forced to do a FWD RLX Advance. I do miss my SH-AWD TL, once of the best riding cars I have ever owned.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by KeithL
With the exception of the V^ TSX Acura does not usualy overlap their models in price points. Also a SH-AWD-TL Advance MSRP is $45,385 and if they keep the TL in the lineup I suspect it will go up $1-$2K in the 2014 TL which if they avoid overlap means base RLX around $50K. But there are too many variables at this point, the ILX tanked so the thought of them combining the TSX and TL into a TLX seems risky since the TSX is one of their shining stars right now. If they do shrink the TL (like the 2013 Accord) then they could do a TLX and bring the price point down a bit or leave it flat and bring the RLX in at the old RL pricing. I will say this, if the RLX AWD Hybrid comes in under $60K with the Advance package count me in, otherwise I may be forced to do a FWD RLX Advance. I do miss my SH-AWD TL, once of the best riding cars I have ever owned.
Not sure if they will be able to get more for an RLX without SH-AWD than an RL with SH-AWD. I think they dropped the SH-AWD from the base just so they could keep the price low. But we'll see soon enough.

I'm hopeing the TLX will be offered with the 2.4L in addition to the V6. Acura seems to be offering more trim levels on their next gen cars. So as a way to keep the former TSX customers, I think they should offer two engine choices, a fuel effeicnt I4 and the V6 for those who want power. But I'm afraid they will mess this up by removing content from the I4 similar to the way Honda only offer the top level Touring as a V6 in the US but as an I4/V6 in Canada.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

When the 2005 RL first came out, it had EVERYTHING (no options) including SH-AWD for about $50,000. If Acura is going to sell the RLX base with nothing (no leather, let along no SH-AWD) FOR $50,000 then they are shooting themselves in the foot, in my opinion.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Also, isn't the RLX supposed to be built in the USA?
Old 12-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Not sure if they will be able to get more for an RLX without SH-AWD than an RL with SH-AWD. I think they dropped the SH-AWD from the base just so they could keep the price low. But we'll see soon enough.

I'm hopeing the TLX will be offered with the 2.4L in addition to the V6. Acura seems to be offering more trim levels on their next gen cars. So as a way to keep the former TSX customers, I think they should offer two engine choices, a fuel effeicnt I4 and the V6 for those who want power. But I'm afraid they will mess this up by removing content from the I4 similar to the way Honda only offer the top level Touring as a V6 in the US but as an I4/V6 in Canada.
I agree, Honda is a bit mixed, my gf was looking at a new Accord and the EX-L I4 and the EX-L I4 and EX-L V6 are not on parity, you loose homelink and LED DRL on the I4, which to me is dumb. First people are looking for better fuel economy and you hold stupid little features hostage to force a V6 buy. How do you sell a $30K car without homelink? And why not offer a I4 Touring, as it is they limited the colors on the Touring.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:13 AM
Summer is Coming

I agree, Honda is a bit mixed, my gf was looking at a new Accord and the EX-L I4 and the EX-L I4 and EX-L V6 are not on parity, you loose homelink and LED DRL on the I4, which to me is dumb. First people are looking for better fuel economy and you hold stupid little features hostage to force a V6 buy. How do you sell a $30K car without homelink? And why not offer a I4 Touring, as it is they limited the colors on the Touring.
I think the size of the engine should be a single substitution. In other words, trim levels are equal between engine sizes. Oh, well, I can always hope.

BTW... College Hills Honda sells a drop in Homelink for the Accord.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hon...ccessories.htm

Also, there is a hack to install the Touring LED headlights on the EX.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:28 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Any official pricing info ?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Suzuka Master

I have one dealer telling me they are taking deposits and expecting release in January and the sales manager is hinting at prices starting in upper 40's going to upper 50's which sounds about what I expected puts it on par with a loaded M37 or GS350. Take a M56 or GS350 F-Sport and you get upward of $65K which is where I expect the AWD hybrid RLX to be.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I hate to say this but the RLX does not stir the soul nor will it my wallet! I wanted so much for this model to kick butt in an elegant way but, unfortunately, to me, it fails miserably. The design team did an excellent job with the NSX and it's incomprehensible that elements of that design language did not translate to the RLX...
Old 12-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Shotgun
I hate to say this but the RLX does not stir the soul nor will it my wallet! I wanted so much for this model to kick butt in an elegant way but, unfortunately, to me, it fails miserably. The design team did an excellent job with the NSX and it's incomprehensible that elements of that design language did not translate to the RLX...
I have to agree on the exterior, Honda is just designing bland cars, but the RLX interior is sweet and since I see the interior more than the interior I am interested.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ but it will be interesting to see the car in person. For me, Acura vehicles always look so bad in pics and then in person, they look much better. I know some members here have seen it in person so they have an advantage we don't have. I will say one negative thing about the exterior design....the wheels! They make me want to puke *lol*
Old 12-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Shotgun
+1. It looks very bland and does not look like a $50-60K car. I hope Acura hasn't repeated the 2nd gen RL's fate in the 3rd gen.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by weather
^^ but it will be interesting to see the car in person. For me, Acura vehicles always look so bad in pics and then in person, they look much better. I know some members here have seen it in person so they have an advantage we don't have. I will say one negative thing about the exterior design....the wheels! They make me want to puke *lol*
I don't think it will look any better in person. I think Honda needs to hire some decent designers, it is almost like they have designers that are 60 years old, I can't believe any young car designer would want to work for Honda. Even Mercedes which I feel tends to design slightly bland cars is leaps ahead of Acura. And say what you want about Infiniti, I know some think the M is polarizing, but I love Infiniti swooping lines, their cars look fast standing still. I wish Infiniti built as tight a car as Honda and would be in mother Infiniti in a second, but I miss that tight Acura build quality.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Who is this "Krell" character?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I wish Infiniti built as tight a car as Honda and would be in mother Infiniti in a second, but I miss that tight Acura build quality.
This actually surprise me....I was under the impression that Infiniti products were quite reliable. How has your M treated you?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by weather
This actually surprise me....I was under the impression that Infiniti products were quite reliable. How has your M treated you?
It has treated me well, but build quality and reliability to me are different. The TL and even my gf's TSX feel tightly put together, my M feels loose and not as solid. Also it is obviouse where Infiniti cut costs, granted everything you see and touch is top notch, but door panels, and all the interior panels are skimpy and not tightly attached. Dealer had to basically remove all the door panels and rear deck when I got the car and add padding and such to stop all the buzzing and rattle movement of all the interior panels. Also Honda product have that bank vault feel when you close the doors, the M is not bad, but does not give you the same feeling. Also on the road the car does not feel as planted as the TL or TSX. The M is more top heavy and leans in turns, even my Sport with those big 20 inch wheels, compared to,the TL or even TSX which stick in corners far better.
The following users liked this post:
ctsport (01-02-2013)
Old 12-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Wait, what? Leatherette in the RL? That is not good. I can understand it in the TL or ILX, but in the RL? No comprendo.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Wait, what? Leatherette in the RL? That is not good. I can understand it in the TL or ILX, but in the RL? No comprendo.
Trying to be like the Germans MB and BMW both offer cloth or leatherette as standard real leather is an upgrade. Lexus started this now too!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Still don't understand why they'd do this in their top of the line car. The RL was previously a no-holds-barred (other than no V8 engine but that's Acura for you), partially hand-built luxury car.

Ah well, times change....
Old 12-24-2012, 12:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Still don't understand why they'd do this in their top of the line car. The RL was previously a no-holds-barred (other than no V8 engine but that's Acura for you), partially hand-built luxury car.

Ah well, times change....
Because people complained that they didn't have "choices" with the RL. I guess people would rather be nickel and dimed when they buy a car. Therefore, Acura is going to give customers what they want: the option to not have leather, the option to not have SH-AWD, basically the option to have an RL(X) with hardly any features, just like BMW.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
a new entry level '14 RSX.....?

When the 2005 RL first came out, it had EVERYTHING (no options) including SH-AWD for about $50,000. If Acura is going to sell the RLX base with nothing (no leather, let along no SH-AWD) FOR $50,000 then they are shooting themselves in the foot, in my opinion.
Yeah, the last RL's were "full tilt loaded"......except they didn't offer a V-8 and more importantly, they lacked the outstanding unique appearance that is desired to capture the potential buyer's spirit and soul. While the overall build quality and engineering is second to none, this luxo-sport market has some strong Euro following, IMO.

My personal thoughts are that Honda/Acura knows they are struggling with this identity conflict. In turn, it would appear as though the most successful sedans of their line-up....being the Accord and TL, respectively will benefit from the upcoming RLX technology, specifically the drivetrain....awd....and advanced hybrid engineering for the forthcoming political demand for fuel efficient automobiles with low emissions.

So with that being said, Acura may be once again.....testing the mighty global waters. The 1LX didn't get it, but perhaps this new RLX may breath new life into the present TL line down the road as it's replacement. Honda has given this new '14 RLX model lineup alot of flexibility to get the pricing down, but hopefully it will not backfire due to a disconnect with people wanting something upscale, being more appealing and sexy than your mother's Accord ! ! !
Old 12-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

It looks like the RLX is going to be a production test mule for new Acura technologies. Personally, I think that has always been the purpose of the RL/RLX. The simple fact is, the market for $50K cars is shrinking. In addition, BMW and Mercedes dominate that shrinking market, has always dominated it, and always will. So Honda/Acura might as well use the RLX as a test car.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^
Agree. The RL has always been a test mule.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:52 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone have an idea when we will get the info and release date for the SH-AWD RLX? New York show?

Quick Reply: RLX Intro & Packages