Rlx awd $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Jeez. All this talk about status. If I cared about status, I would have moved to the Germans long ago. Acura is about tech and value IMHO. They could care less about status as long as their products have better quality than others. And you know what? I'm OK with that. I have previously stated my desire for a luxury RWD with V8, which many of us equate with status and luxury, and I've scratched that itch twice now.

It's been a while since Acura produced a product I would actually buy outside of a TSX wagon; I almost bought one a little more than a year ago. I'm kinda hoping the SH-SH-AWD RLX is the one. (Before you ask, I'm keeping the V wagon, which incidentally is a similar blue to the TSX wagon I would have purchased...but that's another thread.). Would I pay top dollar for a fully loaded one? Or, for that matter, lease one (that's what I would realistically do).

Dunno. We'll see in 2-3 years when I'm ready for the next car. Until then, I will be living vicariously through you guys who choose to buy one.

Last edited by neuronbob; 03-24-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:40 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Status, Acura, and RLX are all inter-related.

Status is what prevents the Acura brand from having success in moving $50+K premium sedans.

Unless Acura decides not to sell any sedans over $50K, otherwise the "status" nightmare will continue to haunt the Honda premium auto brand.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
$75,OOO msrp? Really? That would be a mistake. Will the Fall version have SH-AWD similar to my '07RL? Will it have the PAWS of the current RLX? Do people here think it will perform/handle like a 5 Series BMW? GS-350 F-Sport? How about MPG- City/Combined/Highway?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by 037
I did notice CMBS sensor was moved off the nose...I could not find where they put it. Colin, where did they put it? and why did they hide a status symbol...was the easiest way to tell if RL was fully loaded. I did confirm that car had a CMBS button as the thought crossed my mind the car had the wrong sticker on it.
It's now concealed behind the shield grill where it should have been all along.
The following users liked this post:
Jerzyboi (03-27-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
It's now concealed behind the shield grill where it should have been all along.
I preferred a visible sensor as a sign of status of a fully loaded car vs invisible looking status of a bare minimum.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by 037
sign of status
I get that. LOL, I thought the consensus was that there was no 'status' to be had buying a fancy Accord?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Colin
I get that. LOL, I thought the consensus was that there was no 'status' to be had buying a fancy Accord?
Accords also come naked and well dressed...there is status in features, always.

I mean...I drive by 80k cars sometimes and wonder...80k and they couldn't swing a gps...makes me laugh.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
All this talk about status. If I cared about status, I would have moved to the Germans long ago. Acura is about tech and value IMHO. They could care less about status as long as their products have better quality than others.

I agree with you that status isn't important to me either. For me Acura is about tech, value and handling. The way my 2005 RL handles provides the right mix of driver control and comfort. Before I bought my current RL, I drove the BMW 5 and hated the heavy feel of the drive, while the Lexus GS was way too soft.

Since I haven't yet driven the RLX I can only relate to the reviews of others, but based on those, I am not sure the RLX holds up with my perception of the Acura brand. The value angle seems gone with the $64,000 price tag to get all of the tech. I wouldn't say over priced but not really value, especially since it is a FWD. I am also dubious about the handling based on the reviews here and from the outside. I'll reserve my judgement until I actually drive one myself. I will be interested in the SH-SHAWD model but it also doesn't sound like "value" if it is really priced at $10K more than the current RLX. I also am not sure I want to wait another 6-9 months for my next car, especially if the Audi's live up to their reviews when I try them.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Safety Car

I'd like to be the first to call you out on the status claim.

Acura's are known for their reliability and value, that's status.

Next step up in reliability would be Lexus or Porsche, feel free to step right up

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
All this talk about status. If I cared about status, I would have moved to the Germans long ago. Acura is about tech and value IMHO. They could care less about status as long as their products have better quality than others.

I agree with you that status isn't important to me either. For me Acura is about tech, value and handling. The way my 2005 RL handles provides the right mix of driver control and comfort. Before I bought my current RL, I drove the BMW 5 and hated the heavy feel of the drive, while the Lexus GS was way too soft.

Since I haven't yet driven the RLX I can only relate to the reviews of others, but based on those, I am not sure the RLX holds up with my perception of the Acura brand. The value angle seems gone with the $64,000 price tag to get all of the tech. I wouldn't say over priced but not really value, especially since it is a FWD. I am also dubious about the handling based on the reviews here and from the outside. I'll reserve my judgement until I actually drive one myself. I will be interested in the SH-SHAWD model but it also doesn't sound like "value" if it is really priced at $10K more than the current RLX. I also am not sure I want to wait another 6-9 months for my next car, especially if the Audi's live up to their reviews when I try them.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
I don't disagree with you that reliability is a great thing about Acura but I think of status as somewhat different. Reliability is one of the reasons I have had Acuras for the last 25 years. Status to me the the perception a car gives the general public. Along those lines other brands convey more status than Acura has. It is not that there is anything wrong with Acura or that the brand has a bad image, but it isn't as good as some of the competition -- at least in my mind. I just don't care since I am buying a car for me, not because of what others may think.

Also, I will point out that while Acura still has great reliability, other brands have improved their reliability. There is now less of a gap [if any at all] between say Audi or Infinity and Acura.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
My 3 Acuras have been absolutely bullet proof regarding reliability.

Status: I feel that Acura is equal in status to Infinity and lower than Lexus. All Lexus dealers have the reputation as making their clients feel special- Acura is hit or miss. I'm lucky to have a fantastic Acura dealer. BMW, and Mercedes have the market cornered on status in the luxury sedan under $100K market in my opinion.