Review: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Size: 255/40ZR19

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:00 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott in AZ
So you guys upgraded tires from high-end Michelins with less than 10,000 miles to .... high-end Michelins with less than 10,000 miles.

And your handling instantly improved from scary death trap that couldn't turn left or right in light rain at low speeds to perfectamundo supercar.

I have this right, right?

C'mon..... seriously?
Yes. Why would we take the time to post or spend the money to buy the new tires?

I've been reporting this for about a year. Count your lucky stars that you have not experienced it. I do not take lightly the spending of another $1k for tires on a $60k car with only 10,000 miles on it. In fact, it upsets the hell out of me.

I think you'll find no one on here overreacts and they only offer insightful and educated info for your consideration. Perhaps with the attitude you expressed towards the group having the problem, we should all just ask you the solution for any issue?
The following 3 users liked this post by Bulldog2:
pgeorg (10-17-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-17-2017), romrunning (10-21-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulldog2
Yes. Why would we take the time to post or spend the money to buy the new tires?

I've been reporting this for about a year. Count your lucky stars that you have not experienced it. I do not take lightly the spending of another $1k for tires on a $60k car with only 10,000 miles on it. In fact, it upsets the hell out of me.

I think you'll find no one on here overreacts and they only offer insightful and educated info for your consideration. Perhaps with the attitude you expressed towards the group having the problem, we should all just ask you the solution for any issue?
I would hope that anyone with one or more vehicles that are in the $60,000+ range would not hesitate to invest another $1,000-1,200 to change out tires that are not to their satisfaction. I wouldn't just flush that kind of money down the toilet needlessly, but if it made me more confident behind the wheel in emergency situations, that is well worth it in my simple mind. I'm not saying others are foolish not to change them or that Acura should get involved in some way, but I say if you are not satisfied with the current tires you are using, try another brand/make/model. I think we are just reporting our observations and experiences, both good and bad, not making any personally directed comments. At least I hope not. There are other places on this forum to do that and sometimes those characters surface here. I choose not to respond to any of their posts just not to encourage them to bother us with nonsense.
The following 4 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
Bulldog2 (10-17-2017), moose66 (10-17-2017), pgeorg (10-17-2017), romrunning (10-21-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but I replaced the OEMs at 8,000 miles. I had enough after hydroplaning more then 4 times, so on went the Michelins Pilots Super Sports. They totally transformed the SH!

IMHO there is nothing high - end about the OEM Michelins....aside from lasting extremely long, and being low resistance......

Of course it could be that the OEMs feel so dangerous to me, because I don't have George's driving skills!

But its much cheaper for me to buy new tires then to learn how to drive like George
Old 10-17-2017, 04:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I haven't had any issues with the OEM Michelins although I agree that they are a compromised choice to some drivers and better options are available for them. I drive so little (less than 6700 miles in two and a half years) and I use dedicated snow tires in the winter months, so, for me, changing out the OEM rubber is not feasible. That said, I have in the past (with my '05 RL) traded in brand new OEM tires in order to upgrade to a superior option. I believe at the time, a local tire shop gave me $150 per tire as a credit towards the new tires.

I personally see no problem at all spending a thousand dollars or more to buy a set of tires that suits your personal driving style and needs. Everyone has different priorities with their tire choice, be it road noise, comfort over the bumps, at the max handling, light snow performance etc, so I see nothing wrong with buying a tire that performs best in the particular parameters you deem most important.

It could very well be that the OEM Michelins suit Scott in Arizona's personal preferences perfectly and that is why he questions changing them out???

Just my two cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by hondamore:
moose66 (10-17-2017), pgeorg (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 05:57 PM
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
I agree with hondamore..

When I lived in Southern California..and drove through Arizona...we never saw rain/snow until you went into the higher settings..

In California you really would not need any performance tires to sit on the LA freeway.. Great times and being from the midwest we used to to do "Rain Dances" ..but Ill spare the details..

However..living and working in the Great Lakes region ..one cannot easily drive on the OEM tires..I purchased my RLX late fall/early winter and had to park it when it started to freeze and light snow...
Old 10-18-2017, 07:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Philisophe
You might want to chat with those boys...

My Numerics

Discount tires.................

New Purchase $806.25 Four New Tires with Trade in Credit .....Installed Including Tax/Lifetime Balance/Rotation
Chat with who, Discount Tires? That is who offered me $50/tire.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by miner
Chat with who, Discount Tires? That is who offered me $50/tire.
Unless Im missing something it appears they were quoting you Retail I asked them to match Tire Racks Pricing ( see Below) and wanted lifetime High Speed Balance/Lifetime Rotation.. I asked for $ 80 per tire they offered my $ 60 Per tire..

In addition I put it on my Discount tire Credit Card and received another $ 160 Dollars in the mail

..so my net out the door cost was around $ 650 .00 Dollars

Like I said..you might want to talk to those boys

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

Tire Rack................Pricing

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+ A%2FS+3%2B+%28W-+or+Y-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=44YR9PSAS3PLXL&vehicleSearc h=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Acura&autoYear=20 17&autoModel=RLX%20FWD&autoModClar=

2017 ACURA RLX FWD 224.97

Old 10-18-2017, 08:43 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
In retrospect, considering the potential of the KC2, perhaps Honda would have chosen a different OEM tyre.

I have a feeling, and I can't really prove this, that there were different struggles during the car's design, construction and equipment phases.

Hybrid idea v. performance idea.

The good news is that my lifetime average is something like 32.7 mpg now...so even if you're not pulling high G skidpad figures, at least you're getting good fuel mileage.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:44 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I've never fishtailed with the OEM tyres, but there have been a couple of occasions that unexpected amounts of counter steering was necessary.

0_o

Is that the tyre compound or the basic idea behind the car that allows this without the computer intervening?
Old 10-22-2017, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Interestingly, while browsing some old websites on the Sport Hybrid, I rediscovered photos of the original 8th generation Accord test mule for the RLX SH-AWD. The photos clearly reveal that the Pilot Sport 3 was the test tire used on that particular car, so perhaps this tire is the natural match for the RLX. While I haven’t experienced too many issues with the more expensive OEM Primacy MXM4s, I will need to replace in another 10K miles. So, naturally, I feel compelled to try the Pilots...

Last edited by Bellanova; 10-22-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:10 AM
Stealth Stylin'

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pgeorg
I don't know about anyone else, but I replaced the OEMs at 8,000 miles. I had enough after hydroplaning more then 4 times, so on went the Michelins Pilots Super Sports. They totally transformed the SH!

IMHO there is nothing high - end about the OEM Michelins....aside from lasting extremely long, and being low resistance......

Of course it could be that the OEMs feel so dangerous to me, because I don't have George's driving skills!

But its much cheaper for me to buy new tires then to learn how to drive like George
Did you have the dealer replace them, or did you get them from somewhere else? I'm wondering if I can get the tires from somewhere like Costco. I would think installers are familiar with TPMS and the Acura OEM rim shouldn't be any different, noise-cancelling resonator notwithstanding.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:07 PM
Advanced

. I would think installers are familiar with TPMS and the Acura OEM rim shouldn't be any different, noise-cancelling resonator notwithstanding.

Be very..very careful ...

The installers We used ruined two RIMS ( could not figure ..out how to set TPMS either)

It cost them over $ 1200 to replace them.. and only after I threatened legal action...

They tried to blame it on my driving skills.. ( curbs etc..) however........... being anal .. I took pictures prior to the install..of the tires/rims to make certain the tires and dimensions were correct.. and to see if the wheels were in good shape..( always do this) would not be first time tires came in incorrect..

yep.. deer in the headlight look.. I also informed them I NEVER take my cars through car a wash..

They ordered in " refurbished " rims... NADA

I had to wait two weeks for Acura to ship..but they were based off my VIN ..so correct...

The RLX Wheels face out just a little and either the machinery scratched them /or the installer " stacked" them wrong prior to install.

Ill have my TPMS reset at the dealer..

Just be careful...

The following 2 users liked this post by Philisophe:
hondamore (10-23-2017), romrunning (10-24-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
If the TPMS sensors are compatible with your car (as they should be coming from Acura), I believe the system will reset itself the first time the vehicle reaches 50 mph. My new set of rims for my snow tires didn't give a reading on the TPMS screen until the first time I drove on a freeway and then everything worked normally.

I've had good and bad experiences with tire installations, including good experiences at Costco with my wife's car and a very bad experience with my RL at an Acura dealership that resulted in me having THREE flat tires soon after I drove the car home. Wherever you get your tires installed, try to get the most experienced technician you can. The problem I had at the Acura dealership was with a kid who looked 16 years old and his skills reflected that. That said, my most recent experience at a different Acura dealership where I bought my snow tires was excellent. I routinely ask for the most experienced tech and I know the service manager well enough (and he knows my history well enough) that he obliges.

Philisophe, brilliant idea to take a picture of your wheels before the tire install - I shall be adopting this practice.

Last edited by hondamore; 10-23-2017 at 01:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hondamore:
pgeorg (10-23-2017), Philisophe (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 02:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
As you might imagine I keep the Blackbird in pristine condition and go to the same tire shop I have used for 20+ years, so I know everyone there. They know I am going to look over everything with a fine tooth comb and that even the slightest scratch will be unacceptable. I tip the technician nicely before he does the job and tell him the other half will be provided when it is done right at the end. The extra attention paid by the tech is well worth every penny.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
As you might imagine I keep the Blackbird in pristine condition and go to the same tire shop I have used for 20+ years, so I know everyone there. They know I am going to look over everything with a fine tooth comb and that even the slightest scratch will be unacceptable. I tip the technician nicely before he does the job and tell him the other half will be provided when it is done right at the end. The extra attention paid by the tech is well worth every penny.
Understood..I have been going to the same place for over 10 Years..they have worked on all My companies cars as well.. never had a problem

Me Thinkist most people would not care or pay attention..needless to say I was disappointed ... in fact I drove the RLX to the Acura dealer..first thing they said was " who ****ed your rims..."