Review: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Size: 255/40ZR19

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:08 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulldog2
No, stayed with the OEM size.
To be honest, I believe that I will probably do the same thing.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I stayed with the OEM size, so far so good.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
I just had the dealer install a set of AS3+ in OEM 245/40R19 today on my Rotiforms using the Hunter Roadforce balancer.

Seemed much more composed and smooth over bumps than the Primacy MXM4. Only drove home from the dealership so I haven't had a chance to try them in varying situations yet - but my initial impression is certainly good.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (08-08-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 11:03 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have any pics you can share here ? Especially like to see how they fit / fill the wheel well compared to the factory 245’s
Old 10-11-2017, 09:51 AM
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
I replaced the OEM tires based on RLX.Sport Hybrid's reviews..

My RLX went from scary.. to Luxury Performance ..I could not drive the OEM'S in the Rain..... Snow... would put the fear of God into you

Now My RLX is quieter..composed...comes off the line smother.. and with rear wheel steering.. It now handles like the Acura should handle..

I question the reasoning behind the OEM tires..Price/ Manufacturer's Relationship..fuel economy ?

By just Changing a tire.. I now have a different vehicle...Period

Also keeping the Tire Pressure at Acura's settings..OEM sized as well..

Little tip..I had under 10,000 Miles..shopped the tires.. the Tire Dealer gave me $ 300 dollars trade in because the tires traded were Michelin's .Also included High speed spin balance /rotation life of tires..
The following 5 users liked this post by Philisophe:
Bulldog2 (10-11-2017), George Knighton (10-14-2017), hadokenuh (10-11-2017), hondamore (10-11-2017), pgeorg (10-12-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Philisophe
I replaced the OEM tires based on RLX.Sport Hybrid's reviews..

My RLX went from scary.. to Luxury Performance ..I could not drive the OEM'S in the Rain..... Snow... would put the fear of God into you

Now My RLX is quieter..composed...comes off the line smother.. and with rear wheel steering.. It now handles like the Acura should handle..

I question the reasoning behind the OEM tires..Price/ Manufacturer's Relationship..fuel economy ?

By just Changing a tire.. I now have a different vehicle...Period

Also keeping the Tire Pressure at Acura's settings..OEM sized as well..

Little tip..I had under 10,000 Miles..shopped the tires.. the Tire Dealer gave me $ 300 dollars trade in because the tires traded were Michelin's .Also included High speed spin balance /rotation life of tires..

My experience exactly (except for the $300 credit). The car was downright dangerous with the OEM tires.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bulldog2:
Limelight (10-11-2017), pgeorg (10-12-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 01:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Bulldog2
My experience exactly (except for the $300 credit). The car was downright dangerous with the OEM tires.
Me too. After my second experience fishtailing in the rain, I replaced them. I'm not caught off guard when a car does that in a snowstorm - but in light rain, it just wasn't something I was expecting from a car with AWD and they had to go....
The following 2 users liked this post by Limelight:
Bulldog2 (10-11-2017), pgeorg (10-12-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by Ss97
Do you have any pics you can share here ? Especially like to see how they fit / fill the wheel well compared to the factory 245’s

The following 3 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
pgeorg (10-12-2017), romrunning (10-12-2017), Ss97 (10-15-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 05:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Waiting for George to chime in......he has kept the OEMs on for quite a few 10s of thousands of miles now.....

I went with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and wheels-snow tires for the winter, and could not be happier!
Limelight (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 10:02 AM
Grandpa

I have a feeling the OEM are going to go a few more thousands. :-)
pgeorg (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 11:15 AM
Stealth Stylin'

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Limelight
Me too. After my second experience fishtailing in the rain, I replaced them. I'm not caught off guard when a car does that in a snowstorm - but in light rain, it just wasn't something I was expecting from a car with AWD and they had to go....
Same here - there was a light rain, and I was going through a right-hand turn not more than 20-30mph. The tail kicked out near the end of the turn and suddenly I was pointing down the road a LOT faster than expected. It happened in a blink of an eye.

I think it was the SH-AWD rotating one or two of the tires on the driver's side to assist the turn-in on the right-hand turn. However, it feels like those tires lost traction, and basically I slid a bit before regaining traction. Happily, no one was in the lanes I was going into.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:29 PM
Pro

^^ That was almost my identical situation - except I was turning left and I was thankful no one was in the lane beside me. I was not travelling fast nor was it pouring rain - the roads were simply wet. At first I thought perhaps there was an oil slick on the road or something because it was so out of character for what I would have expected, but when it happened a second time, I had to get new rubber stat!
Old 10-12-2017, 01:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Just for curiosity, are those of you experiencing out of character tire results running the recommended tire pressures in all 4 tires?
Old 10-12-2017, 01:49 PM
Pro

I monitor my tire pressure via the MID and top them up to the recommended pressure usually at least 4 times a year (whatever is posted on the door frame).
Old 10-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Stealth Stylin'

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Limelight
^^ That was almost my identical situation - except I was turning left and I was thankful no one was in the lane beside me. I was not travelling fast nor was it pouring rain - the roads were simply wet. At first I thought perhaps there was an oil slick on the road or something because it was so out of character for what I would have expected, but when it happened a second time, I had to get new rubber stat!
... and you went with the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ as the replacement?
Old 10-12-2017, 03:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by romrunning
... and you went with the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ as the replacement?
Yes sir - much better grip/handling and composed ride.

I have Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 rubber on my stock 19’s for winter - and they are a good tire too. I just got the AS3+ tires recently so I’m curious to feel the Conti’s in the coming weeks by comparison when I swap for my winter set up.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by moose66
Just for curiosity, are those of you experiencing out of character tire results running the recommended tire pressures in all 4 tires?

I Use Tire Teck Air Tester ..And Alligator Double Seal Valve Caps ..

You can instantly read and fill the tires to precise temps in a fraction of time without removing caps..

I overfill air when cold..use the TireTeck to bleed...and never remove caps..make sure you get the Black German Made Alligator Caps..so they do not protrude..

I found the TPMS to need frequent reviews/weather changes.

When your finished adjusting..walk all four tires with the TireTeck/check externally in minutes

Last edited by Philisophe; 10-12-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:11 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
The tires are excellent in the heavy rain. No hydroplaning even at 80 mph (traffic flow), very quiet and very smooth. Zero vibrations of any kind.
I came back to look at what people were saying about these tyres and just noticed this.

0_o

If people are driving 80 in heavy rain, I'd consider moving to a place where people have more common sense.
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
pgeorg (10-14-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-17-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 09:13 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by moose66
I'm not sure what this question means by out of character.

The KC2 asks for 36 psi cold, and I've always done that and the car's done well. The OEM Michelins are lasting a long time, and wearing evenly with rotating only done according to the Honda recommendations.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:17 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I came back to look at what people were saying about these tyres and just noticed this.

0_o

If people are driving 80 in heavy rain, I'd consider moving to a place where people have more common sense.
Where I Live...80 is too slow.. 90 MPH is the "New" 60...and No one takes the weather into consideration ...On the four lane roads here.. if you do 80 in the outside lines you are dead meat..
RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 09:24 AM
Grandpa

Where I Live...80 is too slow.. 90 MPH is the "New" 60...and No one takes the weather into consideration ...On the four lane roads here.. if you do 80 in the outside lines you are dead meat..
In Virginia, you are at risk over 80 for a reckless ticket. The police here will never believe that people understand vehicle dynamics at high speed.

Mind you, they also use a common sense spotting of typically 10 mph in normal situations, and up to 80 mph on Interstate highways.

An exception is the parts of Interstate 81 where it is especially dangerous, there being sheer drops with only the wire barrier keeping a spinning car from going over. They won't spot you as much there, but common sense should tell you that it's dangerous.

A huge problem in Virginia that will get us bad publicity online sometimes is that if you are out of state and caught driving over 80 mph somewhere, you might have to spend the night in jail. There are states that don't use the reciprocity system with records, and if they can't check you out instantly...they're holding you.

I can't remember what states are the problem. But it's always bad publicity for the Commonwealth when somebody gets out of jail and hits Facebook. :-)
RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-14-2017), wstr75 (10-15-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Advanced

In Virginia, you are at risk over 80 for a reckless ticket. The police here will never believe that people understand vehicle dynamics at high speed.

Mind you, they also use a common sense spotting of typically 10 mph in normal situations, and up to 80 mph on Interstate highways.

An exception is the parts of Interstate 81 where it is especially dangerous, there being sheer drops with only the wire barrier keeping a spinning car from going over. They won't spot you as much there, but common sense should tell you that it's dangerous.

A huge problem in Virginia that will get us bad publicity online sometimes is that if you are out of state and caught driving over 80 mph somewhere, you might have to spend the night in jail. There are states that don't use the reciprocity system with records, and if they can't check you out instantly...they're holding you.

I can't remember what states are the problem. But it's always bad publicity for the Commonwealth when somebody gets out of jail and hits Facebook. :-)

I’m in full agreement with you on this.

I used to drive Roanoke and was amazed at the hills…you do not see this until Northern & Southern parts of the state… Its getting very dangerous here. Massive construction. Greater. congestion ..90 MPH passing left lanes..limited law enforcement

In fact. I now set my RLX NAV to bypass major thoroughfares...

And something relatively new here “roundabouts”……. every day there is at least one to two accidents in the roundabouts.

It used to be different …everything is/has changed. For one we have many International People living here due to.. Honda. Battelle... Numerous universities.

Also ..large trucking depots..UPS/USPS....

Each individual has a “unique” driving style...the international's try to abide by the driving rules...However.. these driving rules clash with the local’s... when this happens as it does more often than not.it gets difficult …period...

In addition ..There a number of individuals that do not like any foreign” vehickles “..and the F.150/250 Boys will climb all over you.. I used to slow down but Bob’s don’t like it and then you can see the Burger King Look…

In this state ..The large tractor trailers used to stay in right lane... now due to limited Hi Way patrols and Very Sophisticated Communications ( The Truckers know where all law enforcement is located at all times) they “lay “in the left lane @ 80 MPH backing traffic.

There is no more courtesy... left lane passing concepts... are a thing of the past..

These issues are one of the reasons I purchased the RLX..Most everything is included..active/passive safety/NAV/excellent handling..5 star safety/ 23 MPG in town on and on
The following 2 users liked this post by Philisophe:
hondamore (10-14-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 11:25 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure what this question means by out of character.

The KC2 asks for 36 psi cold, and I've always done that and the car's done well. The OEM Michelins are lasting a long time, and wearing evenly with rotating only done according to the Honda recommendations.
Out of character meant you'd expect the vehicle to react with predictable results if the vehicle is set up to manufacturer specifications AND normal, reasonable operation of the vehicle is occurring. As mentioned in this thread, you can expect abnormal results with ANY tire when the vehicle is not driven with respect to the road conditions. Although some may grip and hold more than others.
The following 3 users liked this post by moose66:
fsmith (10-15-2017), George Knighton (10-15-2017), pgeorg (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

0_o

I hear you my friend! In many metropolitan areas, if you don't drive at the flow of traffic speed, you will either have someone riding your ass, or you might get rear ended. Most drivers forget the mass they are driving in and think they can maneuver like an F1 race car, until it is tool late and they cause an accident. If you find a city where this is not the case, please let me know. I know it isn't yours and it sure isn't mine.
Philisophe (10-14-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 09:55 AM
Grandpa

In fact. I now set my RLX NAV to bypass major thoroughfares....
Definitely with you there.

This likely explains my lifetime average of 32+ mpg that everybody wonders about. These back roads just keep my car in the most efficient speeds most of the time.

Sometimes it takes longer to get somewhere, but it's a far less stressful drive. :-)

And something relatively new here “roundabouts”……. every day there is at least one to two accidents in the roundabouts.
I find myself whispering, "No, no, no...." when I see somebody stop at a roundabout because he doesn't understand what's going on.

Very dangerous.

New people trying to change lanes in the middle of a roundabout because they don't know what's going on?
Philisophe (10-15-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-17-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 09:58 AM
Grandpa

By the way, there's some vibration in the rear now. One of the tyres must've thrown a weight or something.

If I have to show up at the shop to rebalance wheels, maybe I'll succumb to the purchase of the new Michelins. :-0
Old 10-15-2017, 10:05 AM
Advanced

By the way, there's some vibration in the rear now. One of the tyres must've thrown a weight or something.

If I have to show up at the shop to rebalance wheels, maybe I'll succumb to the purchase of the new Michelins. :-0
Once you do go With New Rubber ..........the sky will open and the heavens will shower you with moments of perpetual joy.. ( little over the top) ....With our roads .........I always have the rims checked.. ( dread the winter) ..Also make certain they high speed spin balance..bubble balance will not be in your best interest..
Old 10-15-2017, 04:09 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid

looks good, I like them ! Planning to get some new wheels in the future but want to stick with 19’s, just wider / better looking offset with a larger tire size like this. Still contemplating BC coilovers but may just save my $$
RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 07:21 PM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
Do the Michelin Pilots have a more protruding rib? I needs a tire with a more protruding rib as trying my best I am still screwing up the rims on curbs. Last week I barely nicked a curb a 0.003 mph and the rim got damage. Gots to have more side wall sticking out. I'm contemplating putting a 255 or larger width on the rim just to get some sidewall hanging over the rims!

Anybody know of a tire with a better defined rib protruding outboard of the wheel for a RLX?
Old 10-15-2017, 08:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wstr75
Do the Michelin Pilots have a more protruding rib? I needs a tire with a more protruding rib as trying my best I am still screwing up the rims on curbs. Last week I barely nicked a curb a 0.003 mph and the rim got damage. Gots to have more side wall sticking out. I'm contemplating putting a 255 or larger width on the rim just to get some sidewall hanging over the rims!

Anybody know of a tire with a better defined rib protruding outboard of the wheel for a RLX?
The 255 size offers a nice sidewall that will protect your rims unless you simply bash them into a curb.
wstr75 (10-15-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 12:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I find that I am using the 360 degree surround camera more and more to avoid curb "bumps" - it is something that takes getting used to but is very handy.

Just my two cents.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wstr75

This may be just a marketing ploy for these tires/brands listed. But here's a start. With even better results from Tire Rack.

https://simpletire.com/blog/view/7-tires-to-protect-your-expensive-wheels

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Rim%20Guard%20Tires

Last edited by moose66; 10-16-2017 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Add Info
wstr75 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 09:16 AM
Grandpa

Stop trying so hard to get me to spend money.

Dammit.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts
So you guys upgraded tires from high-end Michelins with less than 10,000 miles to .... high-end Michelins with less than 10,000 miles.

And your handling instantly improved from scary death trap that couldn't turn left or right in light rain at low speeds to perfectamundo supercar.

I have this right, right?

C'mon..... seriously?
Old 10-17-2017, 05:42 AM
Grandpa

Anecdotes, hyperbole, and mob building.

It is what the Internet does. :-)

In defense of the tires that are the subject of this thread, Tire Rack and Consumer Reports both say very good things about them.

For whatever that's worth.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

I missed something in the messaging. I don't recall any of us changing our tires in the first 10,000 miles but maybe I am wrong? I'm at 55,000 miles (+/-) and these tires are excellent as I installed them over the summer several thousand miles ago. . I wish they had come on the vehicle as OEM rubber. I suspect the tire complaints some have raised might not have surfaced.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
Bulldog2 (10-17-2017), pgeorg (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 05:55 AM
Advanced

​​​​​​​The Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tire is designed to provide Michelin's highest level of

Originally Posted by Scott in AZ
So you guys upgraded tires from high-end Michelins with less than 10,000 miles to .... high-end Michelins with less than 10,000 miles.

And your handling instantly improved from scary death trap that couldn't turn left or right in light rain at low speeds to perfectamundo supercar.

I have this right, right?

C'mon..... seriously?

Does it rain in Arizona.....
CLIMATE COMPARISON HIGHLIGHTSPhoenix has 77.5% less rainy days and 80.1% more Sunny Days than Cleveland.
On the BestPlaces comfort index, Phoenix scores 45.5% better than ClevelandCLIMATE
Cleveland, OHPhoenix, AZUnited States Rainfall (in.)39.83989.2018139.2 Snowfall (in.)60.94620.03077225.8 Precipitation Days90.620.3439102

Most Approximate Image Shown
  • ail

PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (W- OR Y-SPEED RATED)

Ultra High Performance All-Season

a W- and Y-speed rated Ultra High Performance All-Season tire member of Michelin's Pilot family of low profile, high-speed tires developed for the drivers of high-end sports cars, sporty coupes and sedans looking for total performance.

The Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tire is designed to provide Michelin's highest level of ultra-high all-season performance, emphasizing dry road handling and wet road grip with balanced all-season traction for occasional light snow.

Compared to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 it replaces, the new Pilot Sport A/S 3+ shares the same performance-oriented tread pattern, featuring a new, advanced Helio+ tread compound for increased light-snow traction.

Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires feature Michelin's Helio+ Technology, which utilizes sunflower oil and Extreme Silica Technology in the tread compound to increase traction at low temperatures and on wet roads. Molded into an aggressive asymmetric tread pattern inspired by the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, its 4-, 5- or 6-rib designs* are tuned to complement tire width and feature more rubber and rigid blocks on their outboard shoulders to provide high levels of lateral grip that offer as much dry cornering capability as some competitive summer performance tires. Wide circumferential grooves help resist hydroplaning, enhancing wet traction and grip in standing water.

Variable Contact Patch 3.0 technology derived from Michelin's experience in endurance racing focuses on
The following 3 users liked this post by Philisophe:
Bulldog2 (10-17-2017), pgeorg (10-17-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 06:36 AM
Pro

I'm no science/math expert, but my equation looked something like this:

(Stock tires - fishtailing in the rain in low speed turns) / (New tires + not fishtailing in the rain in low speed turns) = good purchase.
The following 3 users liked this post by Limelight:
Bulldog2 (10-17-2017), pgeorg (10-17-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 06:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I asked Discount Tire about "trading in" my Primacy MXM4 (drive from dealership to tire shop - 6 miles). They offered up to $50/tire (for a tire they charge $344 for). I keep the OEMs on until they need replacing. My TLX Adv will soon need tires so these will be on my watch list. Looking forward to replacing the Bridgestone RE92s.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by miner
I asked Discount Tire about "trading in" my Primacy MXM4 (drive from dealership to tire shop - 6 miles). They offered up to $50/tire (for a tire they charge $344 for). I keep the OEMs on until they need replacing. My TLX Adv will soon need tires so these will be on my watch list. Looking forward to replacing the Bridgestone RE92s.

You might want to chat with those boys...

My Numerics

Discount tires.................

New Purchase $806.25 Four New Tires with Trade in Credit .....Installed Including Tax/Lifetime Balance/Rotation