Rear licence plate bolts rusting

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 07:38 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Rear licence plate bolts rusting

I noticed on AutoTrader a used white RLX without a rear licence plate and it had rust streaks going down the back of the trunk from where the bolts holding the rear licence plate were secured. I thought that seemed odd for a 3 year old car.

Well, I needed to remove my licence plate this evening to replace the annual sticker and noticed that the bolt slot opening (they protrude from the trunk) had the white paint chipped off and had started rusting.

I used my touch up paint to cover it up so no big deal - but for those in northern climates prone to rust, you may want to check yours sometime...
The following 4 users liked this post by Limelight:
hondamore (10-15-2017), moose66 (10-15-2017), pcloadletter (10-20-2017), pgeorg (10-16-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 09:22 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
I used some low profile screws on the RL and they left rust stains on the plate. Unfortunately, the plates got transferred to the RLX. I'll pull the plate to check the paint as it has been years since it was installed.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:14 AM
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
I Always Purchase Stainless Steel /Nuts/Bolts/
Old 10-24-2017, 07:39 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Philisophe
I Always Purchase Stainless Steel /Nuts/Bolts/
I think you misunderstood my original post. I'm not referring to the fact that my bolts are rusting and/or bleeding rust onto my plate. I'm referring to the raised posts behind the rear plate where your bolts screw in. The white paint on mine had peeled off and were starting to rust. You won't know if you have this issue until you remove your plate and check...
Old 10-24-2017, 07:44 AM
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Limelight
I think you misunderstood my original post. I'm not referring to the fact that my bolts are rusting and/or bleeding rust onto my plate. I'm referring to the raised posts behind the rear plate where your bolts screw in. The white paint on mine had peeled off and were starting to rust. You won't know if you have this issue until you remove your plate and check...
Yes I Misunderstood...Ive seen this before ..might want to look at this