Random Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 31 Posts
Random Thoughts

I was reading a car blog this morning. I read three daily. One annoys me as they talk politics, if I wanted politics, I wouldn't be reading a car blog. I read a lot of reviews of the RLX SH, watched the review videos on Youtube. I was re-reading a review this morning and it dawned on me. Virtually every review goes through their criticisms of the car, but always says something to the effect, "I like driving this car", or "This car is fun to drive", "it's a good car", "I'd own this car". They almost all like the car.

I remember reading reviews back in the day of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 RLs. The standard criticism, a V6 powered car isn't a luxury car and can't compete with the V8 luxury cars. A real luxury car has a V8. Not so much anymore. In-line 4 turbos in Audi, BMW, and Lexus? What's up with that? The 2018 Lexus LS500 is powered with a twin turbo charged V6. It'll put out a little over 400hp, and gets a combined MPG of 23. Sticker on the car is $91,485.00. And you get a twin turbo V6. I suspect ten years ago it would have been poo-pooed in every car mag. Now it's innovative and the wave of the future.

I think Honda is innovative. I think they build great cars. Was Acura reading the Tea Leaves in building the RL with a V6? I don't know, but they did it before anyone else.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrrobato:
hondamore (05-05-2018), sooththetruth (05-10-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 05:57 PM
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts
I always thought Saab was on the forefront of innovation, they really championed turbo's and just did things differently. Second on my list was Honda for some reason car companies that build aircraft tend to do a good job building cars. With that being said the RLX is an awesome daily driver, the sight lines are perfect and the ride quality is superb. To your point I also watched the videos and read the reviews and once i drove the car knew immediately it was right for me. I am happy it is rare but truly surprised it is sooo slept on...
Old 05-04-2018, 08:39 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Aurelius
I always thought Saab was on the forefront of innovation....
The main problem with Saab's innovation was that it sometimes required you to learn how to drive all over again. It was hard to get going because the interior wasn't set up the way that you would expect, and controls did not necessarily behave the way you wanted.

I'm not going to think to look down at the gearshift to find the ignition switch. :-)

Like the Citroens of a few years ago: You mean to tell me that this "button" on the floor is the brake "pedal?" But it doesn't move? I don't understand....
Old 05-04-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I think what is happening across the board is that cars are too expensive.
Honda/Acura used to be about it's value proposition...now, it's just overly expensive.
yes, the RLX is a GOOD car. one can even LIKE it. but the reviewers probably wouldn't spend their own money on it.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:49 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the same thing is happening to the Lincoln Continetal.
it's a GOOOD car!!!!! it's just too expensive.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:17 PM
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry off topic but in line with the random theme, ran across a Mclaren yesterday! Really good looking car, the RlX doesn't look bad next to it IMO

Old 05-05-2018, 05:53 PM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
You must be talking about Jalopnik. It's pretty much left-wing millennial propaganda...and some car articles.

Funny, we were driving home today and passed a parking lot having a moderate-sized car show/meet. I told my wife I should stop over and enter the RLX SH.

"Wanna race?" 🙂
Old 05-05-2018, 07:27 PM
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mk5
You must be talking about Jalopnik. It's pretty much left-wing millennial propaganda...and some car articles.

Funny, we were driving home today and passed a parking lot having a moderate-sized car show/meet. I told my wife I should stop over and enter the RLX SH.

"Wanna race?" 🙂
Bingo! I like the "Nice Price, or Crack Pipe" articles. I do pretty well. Although, just about any BMW, no matter how ratty usually gets the "Nice Price" vote.