Random Observations about the Sport Hybrid(conversation starter)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 06:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Random Observations about the Sport Hybrid(conversation starter)

As I got a lot of seat time in both of our vehicles over the weekend, it was very apparent how my driving style differs between both the MDX and the Sport Hybrid in traffic. While not driving at a higher terminal velocity (max 75mph in most places), the biggest separation between them was the “point and shoot” abilities the Sport Hybrid presents. The torque delivery in the Blackbird (as I call it) I find to be way more than enough to very quickly move up in traffic without stepping down a gear. However in a merging situation, a one or two gear step down really shows the car’s colors. In the MDX, it feels lazy and mushy by comparison in the same situations. The acceleration in the non-step down throttle inputs is very close to zero and very “limo-like” in the MDX. I think it is in the frame of reference that our perspectives can be tainted by living with the Sport Hybrid and then go on to believe that all other Acura products are slow either because of the transmissions hunting for higher mpg rather than performance, or just simply being down on the torque delivery overall. I’m not suggesting that the Sport Hybrid is in the NSX territory overall for performance, but other than that car, the Sport Hybrid is the best performance vehicle Acura has right now, and it seems that only we know it unfortunately. Shame on Acura.
The following users liked this post:
fsmith (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 06:46 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
just pointing out,

it's the only car with like 350-370 crank hp in the lineup. (not familiar with the specs and too lazy to look)
Old 11-07-2016, 08:00 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
just pointing out,

it's the only car with like 350-370 crank hp in the lineup. (not familiar with the specs and too lazy to look)
377 road HP, 427-430 total HP.

100% of the HP will not be available all of the time. From how the car feels, I think that in a high stress situation, the front electric motor is not used for road HP, and uses its power for managing the two shafts in the gearbox.

That is subjective and anecdotal. I don't know that for sure. That's just what it feels like.

I believe that all three electric motors are temporarily available when you try to do a maximum acceleration test, however, judging from the car's incredible times if you go through the trouble to do it right. (Sport Mode + forcing 1st.)
The following 4 users liked this post by George Knighton:
fsmith (11-07-2016), justnspace (11-07-2016), neuronbob (11-07-2016), pgeorg (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 08:07 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^ive never driven it but just going by paper specs, it wouldnt be surprising that the MDX hunts for economy while the more sportier SH-SHAWD sedan aims for a more sportier approach

it's one of the reasons why I chose the 2006 6MT TL because it's SPEC'd to be sportier than anything in the line-up back then

Last edited by justnspace; 11-07-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^
and you chose well.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Even the RLX Sport Hybrid suffers from a slight delay when you require sudden, rapid acceleration during "normal" driving. I believe it is due to the transmission being programmed for smoothness and fuel economy over performance (2nd gear starts for example). All of this disappears, of course, when Sport Mode is selected and acceleration is instant, which has gotten me to thinking that the Sport Mode selection button might be better located on the steering wheel. For example, if the right paddle gear shifter had a second paddle just above it that activated Sport Mode, it would be easier to click into Sport Mode without having to take a hand off the steering wheel. I appreciate that the current Sport Mode button is easy to reach and has the braille "bumps" to make it easy to find without taking your eyes off the road, but a second paddle would just be more convenient. I'm sure that Acura is trying to avoid the steering wheel becoming as complicated as an F1 steering wheel, but one more paddle should be doable and manageable for the average driver.

As others have mentioned, I often engage Sport Mode if I know that I'm going to be merging in heavy traffic or making a dash crossing 6 lanes of traffic or a left turn in heavy traffic, just to have the instant acceleration available. Usually, there is plenty of time to reach down and push the Sport Mode button, but I have been in a situation where a steering wheel mounted button would have been easier.

Just my two cents.
pgeorg (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 02:21 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
... Sport Mode selection button might be better located on the steering wheel. For example, if the right paddle gear shifter had a second paddle just above it that activated Sport Mode, it would be easier to click into Sport Mode without having to take a hand off the steering wheel.
I really like that idea. I use SPORT mode as you do. In hybrid mode you can stomp it, but you have a delay as the software gets everything awake and in concert. Plus I have an incredible knack of finessing the throttle JUST when there is a nexus of tranny shift & ICE shutdown or VCM disengaging & tranny downshifting - creating a sometimes clumsy transition. And as mentioned once before, reversing in hybrid mode sometimes creates a lugging, making it tricky reversing into my tight garage. A faster flick to engage SPORT would be welcomed to avoid these conflicts that I have learned to anticipate.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I agree that the Sport button should be better placed. It DOES have raised dots on it to easily distinguish it from the other buttons on the shifter, however.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Answering this thread got me thinking (scary thought), if you use the paddle shifter to change gears in "normal" mode, does the car automatically enter sport mode?? I'm going out tonight, I'll experiment and report back.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
Answering this thread got me thinking (scary thought), if you use the paddle shifter to change gears in "normal" mode, does the car automatically enter sport mode?? I'm going out tonight, I'll experiment and report back.
Unfortunately it does not. It just upshifts or downshifts, and then it returns to automatic mode again.

No change in mapping, throttle response, etc.....
hondamore (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 10:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

pgeorg is correct as always. I tried every combination of clicking and even holding the paddles etc and you can't enter sport mode without the sport mode button.
pgeorg (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 02:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Now if Acura could really go all the way and allow all 430 system hp to come on at the same time, I can see the rlx giving a tesla model s a good run. Acura should really consider some sort of "ludicrous" mode for the rlx...I know I know. Not the intended audience....
Old 11-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Now if Acura could really go all the way and allow all 430 system hp to come on at the same time, I can see the rlx giving a tesla model s a good run. Acura should really consider some sort of "ludicrous" mode for the rlx...I know I know. Not the intended audience....
Let me tell you, when you press that "Sport" button this car is a totally different car. Throttle response is instantaneous, electric motors are always in play, the DCT changes gears extremely fast (especially downshifting and rev matching).....the whole power-plant goes into hyper mode.
That is more then enough for me, especially on the street.......I would be extremely reluctant to use "Ludicrous" on the street on any car......and when I use "Sport" mode it is only for a few seconds.
I tried to drive with it on a couple of times, but it was so addicting it made me an extremely aggressive driver......
The following 2 users liked this post by pgeorg:
hondamore (11-08-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

My oldest just asked me this morning if he could drive the SH one day when he starts to drive. After spitting up my raisin bran, I laughed to say not a chance. But not for the reasons one might think at first. Yes my OCD would prevent him from getting behind the wheel, but because the car has such tremendous performance available in a sleeper design, I'm sure the sport mode would be used almost immediately, and he would not make it out of my neighborhood without getting stopped for speeding. No kid should be behind the wheel of a car with these or more capabilities (any brand, make or model). Shoot, if we adults have to contain our enthusiasm, a kid would not have the self-preservation and maturity to resist it temptations, which a moderate throttle attempt would provide, less a full throttle input in sport mode. I read this morning on Car and Driver about the Ford Focus RS and its performance numbers are two tenths better to 60mph and in the 1/4, but slower in speed through the trap, and that car is a thousand pounds lighter with better tires. If a stately, safe and sleeper type of boring sedan like ours could keep up with a kid in a car like that, wouldn't they be surprised. So providing access of our car to a teenager would be stupid in my opinion. I do wish that the exhaust was louder in sport mode than it is, but in the bid picture who cares really. That is what a CTS-V is for right! Still have to work on that request for approval...

In regards to the sport mode button being on the steering wheel, that would be brilliant. As has been stated previously, I know when I am going to engage it in advance so I can do it just by feel below the drive button. However, it would be very convenient if it were on the steering wheel in some fashion.
pgeorg (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by pgeorg
Let me tell you, when you press that "Sport" button this car is a totally different car. Throttle response is instantaneous, electric motors are always in play, the DCT changes gears extremely fast (especially downshifting and rev matching).....the whole power-plant goes into hyper mode.
That is more then enough for me, especially on the street.......I would be extremely reluctant to use "Ludicrous" on the street on any car......and when I use "Sport" mode it is only for a few seconds.
I tried to drive with it on a couple of times, but it was so addicting it made me an extremely aggressive driver......
Haha this reminds me of an episode on the simpsons or possibly futurama where people were addicted to a drink that made them all go aggressive.

I think the current performance is more than enough, don't take my previous statement as saying it isn't. Just that the power freak in me would LOVE a 430hp RLX...I mean there is a V8 lexus ls right.
pgeorg (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Don't you hate it when you re-read a post of yours and discover two typos you missed? Sorry folks. Try not to throw up when you vote today. Deciding which wrong is more right. That is tough.
dzionny_dzionassi (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 10:11 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Don't you hate it when you re-read a post of yours and discover two typos you missed? Sorry folks. Try not to throw up when you vote today. Deciding which wrong is more right. That is tough.
I will not believe another poll as long as I live.
The following 3 users liked this post by George Knighton:
JM2010 SH-AWD (11-11-2016), neuronbob (11-10-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 08:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
I will not believe another poll as long as I live.
Usually I dont listen to a radio while driving, but today i was. It is just a sad day, so sad. In other words total disaster.
Good thing i don't have right to vote.