Question on Sport Hybrid rear motors

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 07:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I found this animation which shows how the pinion gears can operate without motors engaged. However, it does not explain the torque to inside wheel at high speeds that I have observed

Sport Hybrid SH-AWD System Animation -Acura - Acura News
Old 07-15-2017, 06:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I finally had an opportunity to push the car (the MDX Sport Hybrid) a bit. Freeway circular on ramp and no one in front of me. Accelerated the whole way and I could totally feel the torque vectoring. I had the 2004 RL with the mechanical vectoring, but it never felt like this. I bet the RLX is even better. Then I was at a light and turning left - no one in front. Punched it at green and accelerated around the 90 degree turn. Way better than my RL. In both of these situations inside wheel braked until I was past apex of turn, then it added power. Outside was applying high power the whole time.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
^^^That is exactly the sensation that the RLX Sport Hybrid Beta testers have been raving about for the past couple of years. I can only assume that the MDX system is even more "refined" than the RLX's system for even more smile-inducing fun. Enjoy!!!
Old 07-16-2017, 08:31 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
I finally had an opportunity to push the car (the MDX Sport Hybrid) a bit. Freeway circular on ramp and no one in front of me. Accelerated the whole way and I could totally feel the torque vectoring. I had the 2004 RL with the mechanical vectoring, but it never felt like this. I bet the RLX is even better. Then I was at a light and turning left - no one in front. Punched it at green and accelerated around the 90 degree turn. Way better than my RL. In both of these situations inside wheel braked until I was past apex of turn, then it added power. Outside was applying high power the whole time.
"Loose is fast."

:-)