The Question is - TLX Type S or RLX SH-AWD

Old 01-15-2019, 06:56 PM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts
The Question is - TLX Type S or RLX SH-AWD

Alright so with the rumored arrival of a TLX type S with turbo v6 and mechanical SH-AWD as expected to be revealed at NY Auto Show, I am giving serious (albeit early) consideration to switching up when the Types S goes on sale. I know this assumes a lot (i.e. similar performance and mechanical (hp and torque) numbers). I think the TLX is a redesign so it could be god awful looking (inside or out) which could sway my thinking but I am interested to know thoughts of the group and if anyone else may be thinking along these lines (where is NeuronBob for this one?).

Something about the size (RLX is a big, heavy rig despite how well it hides it on most occasions) and the potential for 350 plus hp and torque from the Type S is appealing. After all they are testing it against the S4 and C43 so one would assume similar numbers to those rigs.

in any event, very preliminary thinking on my part but just wanted to see if anyone else out there is following/ thinking similar.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
AP8ESQ, If time and money are not a factor, it may be worth waiting to see what the next generation RLX/Legend has to offer. No, I have no idea when it we be released ( maybe within a couple of years???) or what it will offer (maybe all-electric or fuel cell????), but I do expect something "special" and "futuristic". Keep in mind the more cutting edge technology it offers, the higher the price point will be.

That said, the fundamental question to be answered is if you prefer a sports sedan or a luxury sedan. The TLX is a sports sedan with some luxury features while the RLX is a luxury sedan with a sporty side.

Good luck in your search for a new vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by hondamore:
AP8ESQ (01-15-2019), demosan (07-12-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:56 PM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts - issue is I tend to switch cars every three years or so due to the rapid advances in tech (no leases - too many miles to make use one of those...) I love the RLX but it's features are now dated (mine is a 2014 advance)... I suppose you are right regarding holding out for any new RLX that may come in a similar timeframe as the first few years of the rumored TLX Type S to weigh pros and cons. Then again, would love to see a RLX Sport Hybrid Type S with turbo v6 and north of 450 horses and 450 lb ft of torque (a dream... I know and likely a very costly one but that would be a certain pick up).
Old 01-16-2019, 11:05 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by AP8ESQ
Alright so with the rumored arrival of a TLX type S with turbo v6 and mechanical SH-AWD as expected to be revealed at NY Auto Show....
Really.

Where did you see this information?
Old 01-16-2019, 01:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Maybe here?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...ive-turbo-v-6/
Old 01-16-2019, 01:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AP8ESQ
Alright so with the rumored arrival of a TLX type S with turbo v6 and mechanical SH-AWD as expected to be revealed at NY Auto Show, I am giving serious (albeit early) consideration to switching up when the Types S goes on sale. I know this assumes a lot (i.e. similar performance and mechanical (hp and torque) numbers). I think the TLX is a redesign so it could be god awful looking (inside or out) which could sway my thinking but I am interested to know thoughts of the group and if anyone else may be thinking along these lines (where is NeuronBob for this one?).

Something about the size (RLX is a big, heavy rig despite how well it hides it on most occasions) and the potential for 350 plus hp and torque from the Type S is appealing. After all they are testing it against the S4 and C43 so one would assume similar numbers to those rigs.

in any event, very preliminary thinking on my part but just wanted to see if anyone else out there is following/ thinking similar.
I've been patiently hanging on to my '08 TL-S in anticipation of the TLX-S. Until now I didn't know the NY Auto Show was the potential reveal point. That'll save me some daily Google searching for the next 3 months, so thank you for that at least. I am not cross-shopping the RLX and TLX Type-S, but I did want to offer a perspective that may be input to your decision. Take it or leave it!

I know my TL-S is not a spec-sheet car. Never was. There were plenty of cars with more power, torque, features, and sounds for enthusiasts when that car was new. As a pretty devoted Honda/Acura owner over the years, the thing I appreciated most about the TL Type-S was that it felt like Acura's best efforts at that time produced a wonderful result. It wasn't their flagship car. There was no NSX or "halo" car in 2008 that felt like it really out-achieved what the TL-S was for Acura. It was solid, reliable, comfortable, roomy and practical with great looks. I still feel like it was the best car Honda/Acura produced from that generation. I loved it from the day of reveal. Even though it depreciates just like everything else, I've always felt this inner need to keep it stock because it just felt special enough as-is. Almost like I couldn't stomach ruining an important piece of Acura's history, and had to preserve every decision the engineers made. (yeah, I know, maybe I'm over-obsessing...but this is Acurazine!)

Even if my perception of the TL-S's daily value and worth is very subjective, it sets a high bar for me for the new one which I kind of worry is setting myself up for massive disappointment. Just like before, the TLX isn't Acura's flagship car. Heck, it's probably been out-shined by the RDX and MDX in our SUV-obsessed marketplace, not to mention the NSX. So much has happened in 10-11 years in the automotive world, including a not-insignificant uptick in electric cars which produce impressive thrills-per-dollar with their design, features and specifications. So it feels like the PERFECT opportunity for Acura to introduce a Type-S so desirable that we all almost instantly put it as our desktop wallpapers. Will the TLX-S make me feel like Acura's best efforts produced a wonderful result? Will they manage to accomplish something that feels as special to the lineup as the 07/08 did 11-12 years ago? Or will it feel like Acura delivered on the statement "bringing back the Type-S badge" and nothing more?

All of this nonsense is something I ponder to unhealthy amounts, but it does impact the approach to my next purchase. If Acura puts its heart into this model like they did to the 07/08, there will be a black TLX Type-S in my driveway. If they don't, Musk might find his way into my savings account. That's basically how far on the edge I am with this. I'm not even going to mention the brief period of time I thought buying a truck would be a good idea.

Regardless, best of luck. Either car would be a great vehicle to own!
The following 3 users liked this post by brady33:
AP8ESQ (01-16-2019), asdecorazones (01-21-2019), StealthTL-S (05-02-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 03:10 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by moose66
Look for both the Type S trim and the new turbocharged V-6 engine to come to market sometime next decade....

Well. Okay.

Don't hold your breath. :-)
Old 01-19-2019, 08:51 AM
Pro

Received 533 Likes on 262 Posts
@jhb31 Don't feel so bad. 18 Aspec is a great car I had the 3G and 4G and they all had pros and cons, however, overall Aspec is a great package and probably the best Acura I've had overall. Like you, I'm patiently waiting for the Type S.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The TLX-S will almost certainly be out before the next Legend (which, I HOPE they actually call a Legend, but that’s a while other thread...). I think that makes your decision for you, OP. I’m awaiting this as well and at this point, once my lease is done, it’ll be between a TLX-S and the Genesis G70 for next daily driver.
The following users liked this post:
AP8ESQ (01-25-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 222 Posts
So another poster had this link
https://www.autonews.com/nada-show/p...-acura-dealers
which had this quote: "Henio Arcangeli Jr., senior vice president for American Honda's auto division, said he told dealers in the meeting that Acura also will bring back its Type S sport packages over the next 24 months".

That is right in line with what my dealer told me (most likely 11/2020) for a type S release as a 2021 model. Anyway I hope they do more with the exterior as the refresh was a nice update but a 5 to 6 year run with it is enough. Powertrain changes are a certainty as if the trans has lag then I see no reason to trade up.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:05 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by jhb31
which had this quote: "Henio Arcangeli Jr., senior vice president for American Honda's auto division, said he told dealers in the meeting that Acura also will bring back its Type S sport packages over the next 24 months".

That is right in line with what my dealer told me (most likely 11/2020) for a type S release as a 2021 model. Anyway I hope they do more with the exterior as the refresh was a nice update but a 5 to 6 year run with it is enough. Powertrain changes are a certainty as if the trans has lag then I see no reason to trade up.
Well, that's encouraging. I hope they get somewhere with that.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:59 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31

I really hope they do some exterior refreshing myself. The tlx seems perfect except for the design of it. It just doesn't feel as special as the tsx design or even ILX design. Maybe it is personal taste but I feel like the ILX body with some the tlx insides ( maybe a smaller V6 ) and SH-AWD would be perfect.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
Looks like someone found some images saved in the RDX headunit infotainment system with the refresh of the TLX

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g.../#post16451776

Old 07-11-2019, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Production version of Precision Concept
Old 07-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Grandpa

Looks like front drive bias with electric motors.

Not so advanced after all, although it could be "advanced" when it comes to enhanced performance, reliability, and/or quality of assembly, materials, fit and finish.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:54 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Tirad Miral
Production version of Precision Concept

Precision Concept is a vehicle on it's own. It is not intended to be the RLX or TLX.. The leaked MDX and TLX are nearly identical take off's from the current models and again, it may not be the actual final production version.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:13 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
i went to the dealer last week and the sales rep told me they will be doing away with the rlx. The TLX will offer an extended version of the TLX that will replace the RLX
silverTL6 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 02:27 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
It doesn't even "technically" exist yet?
Old 07-22-2019, 02:31 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Lumpkins
I really hope they do some exterior refreshing myself. The tlx seems perfect except for the design of it. It just doesn't feel as special as the tsx design or even ILX design. Maybe it is personal taste but I feel like the ILX body with some the tlx insides ( maybe a smaller V6 ) and SH-AWD would be perfect.
It totally would be awesome!

But then again, it would cost over $50K.

Not happening, sadly.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:21 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by bronx1480
i went to the dealer last week and the sales rep told me they will be doing away with the rlx. The TLX will offer an extended version of the TLX that will replace the RLX
I draw the honorable gentleman's attention to the recent release of the 2020 RLX Sport Hybrid accessories installation guides. :-)

But the minor changes make me think they're planning on continuing to sell small numbers of the KC2 even for the 2021 model year.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Hybrid Powertrain

I wonder if they’ll incorporate the current SH’s 7DCT into the new TLX in some configuration... I really like the Acura’s DCT with electric motor integration — a simple and quite ingenious design. It would be a pity if it isn’t utilized and developed further...
hondamore (07-27-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 08:21 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
yup you were right.. i went to the dealer today to inquire about a 2019 and the sales rep did say the 2020's are coming.