Private mode - how do I turn it off?

Old 06-02-2015, 12:08 AM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Private mode - how do I turn it off?

I ran into a strange but troubling issue. Somehow this morning I inadvertently turn on something called private mode. I believe it is a setting on the car's phone software. The result is when I make a call from the car (using the car's phone presets) the call is made but as soon as the number begins dialing the phone disconnects from the car's audio system to my iPhone 5s handset and the radio comes back through the audio system. Meanwhile the call is on my handset.

Private mode shows up on the phone screen in the car. I have search both the RLXs Owner Manual and also the Apple support website. It seems to be a setting in the car not on the iPhone. I don't exactly know how it got turned on and I can't find out how to turn it off. The phone's Bluetooth connection to the car is fine, it just won't play through the audio system.

Any suggestions.???
The following users liked this post:
chapel1 (02-01-2016)
Old 06-02-2015, 05:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
On your iPhone, go to:

Settings->General->Accessibility->Call Audio Routing->set to Automatic. Should fix the issue.

If that's unhelpful, unpair, then re-pair the phone.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
On your iPhone, go to:

Settings->General->Accessibility->Call Audio Routing->set to Automatic. Should fix the issue.

Wow a doctor and tech savvy
Old 06-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Sometime back, something odd started happening to my iPhone.

For some reason it has started switching to Private Mode to *make* the call, and then it switches back to speakers when there is a ring at the other end.

I have no idea why it started doing that.

Everything still works fine, otherwise, so I haven't bothered trying to find what's going on.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
I ran into a strange but troubling issue. Somehow this morning I inadvertently turn on something called private mode. I believe it is a setting on the car's phone software. The result is when I make a call from the car (using the car's phone presets) the call is made but as soon as the number begins dialing the phone disconnects from the car's audio system to my iPhone 5s handset and the radio comes back through the audio system. Meanwhile the call is on my handset.

Private mode shows up on the phone screen in the car. I have search both the RLXs Owner Manual and also the Apple support website. It seems to be a setting in the car not on the iPhone. I don't exactly know how it got turned on and I can't find out how to turn it off. The phone's Bluetooth connection to the car is fine, it just won't play through the audio system.

Any suggestions.???
It happened to me once on the MDX, and once on the RLX (iPhone 6). I had to un-pair, and re-pair to fix it.....The good thing is that the procedure is really simple.....
Old 06-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by neuronbob
On your iPhone, go to:

Bob, many thanks for the suggestions but neither worked. The iPhone audio routing setting was correct. I did re-pair my phone [and deleted the existing phone, both on the handset and car]. The pairing was simple and other than having to reinstall my presets it went fine but no help with the Private Mode.

My problem still existing so I started the procedure to setup my Acura Link account, which was never done. They were helpful but referred me to the Customer Service phone number. I haven't yet had time to call them but will report back since it seems others have experienced the issue. I just haven't been lucky enough to have it auto correct itself. At the moment it is very frustrating.

By the way, in my case what happens in Private Mode is that the call can be initiated from either the handset or car interface but as soon as the call starts ringing the car's audio system disconnects from the phone and the radio comes back on. I believe the phone is still connected to the car since the only option that shows on the car's phone screen is transfer. When I hit that option the call transfers back to the handset.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Bob, many thanks for the suggestions but neither worked. The iPhone audio routing setting was correct. I did re-pair my phone [and deleted the existing phone, both on the handset and car]. The pairing was simple and other than having to reinstall my presets it went fine but no help with the Private Mode.

My problem still existing so I started the procedure to setup my Acura Link account, which was never done. They were helpful but referred me to the Customer Service phone number. I haven't yet had time to call them but will report back since it seems others have experienced the issue. I just haven't been lucky enough to have it auto correct itself. At the moment it is very frustrating.

By the way, in my case what happens in Private Mode is that the call can be initiated from either the handset or car interface but as soon as the call starts ringing the car's audio system disconnects from the phone and the radio comes back on. I believe the phone is still connected to the car since the only option that shows on the car's phone screen is transfer. When I hit that option the call transfers back to the handset.
When you un-paired and deleted the iPhone from the RLX, did you delete the entry on the iPhone settings, Bluetooth, My devices? Did you restart the iPhone before you re-paired it to the RLX?
Also try this if you have some time. Pair the iPhone to the RLX and make a call. When it switches to privacy mode, tap the "audio sources" on the iPhone and change it from iPhone to handsfree link. Does it switch back to the RLX bluetooth? If it does, try making another call, and see if the issue is resolved.

HTH
The following 2 users liked this post by pgeorg:
Malibu Flyer (06-02-2015), neuronbob (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by pgeorg
When you un-paired and deleted the iPhone from the RLX, did you delete the entry on the iPhone settings, Bluetooth, My devices? Did you restart the iPhone before you re-paired it to the RLX?
Also try this if you have some time. Pair the iPhone to the RLX and make a call. When it switches to privacy mode, tap the "audio sources" on the iPhone and change it from iPhone to handsfree link. Does it switch back to the RLX bluetooth? If it does, try making another call, and see if the issue is resolved.

HTH
This. This has worked when I've had issues on another car. You have to delete everything, including the Bluetooth setting, after you unpair.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:22 PM
Pro

When you un-paired and deleted the iPhone from the RLX, did you delete the entry on the iPhone settings, Bluetooth, My devices?
YES

Did you restart the iPhone before you re-paired it to the RLX?
I'll try this

I have tried using the iPhone Audio Sources but it does not work as it still shows connection to hands free link, i.e.- the car.

HTH
I am going to call the Hands Free Link support Line when i get out to the car and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

I am going to call the Hands Free Link support Line when i get out to the car and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Last thing i can think of that might help, is to "Reset Network Setting" On the iPhone. Settings, General, Reset, Reset Network Settings. You will need to setup your wifi connections again though.
I hope the support line is able to resolve this for you!
Old 06-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Pro

Hats off to pgeorg.......

Last thing i can think of that might help, is to "Reset Network Setting" On the iPhone. Settings, General, Reset, Reset Network Settings. You will need to setup your wifi connections again though.
I hope the support line is able to resolve this for you!
I have resolved my Private Mode issue and it is really thanks to pgeorg. As I indicated earlier I deleted the old Hands Free Link references in my iPhone bluetooth settings as well as the iPhone reference shown in the car but still had the same issue with Private Mode.

I spent some time on the phone with the Hands Free Link folks [888-528-7876]. They told me that Private Mode is not a setting on the car's software but rather that mode is set automatically by the phone. Therefor there is no option in the car to turn it off. He didn't know how to re-set it on the iPhone but, as pgeorg and Bob suggested, I should delete the phone and re-pair it. When I told them I had already done that, the suggestion was to reload the Verizon network setting. As I had just updated the network settings, based on a notification from Verizon, a few days ago, their last suggestion was to attempt to connect a different phone to the car. If the second phone had the same issue, then I should take the car into the dealer since there is likely an issue with the car. If the second phone worked fine, then the problem was on my iPhone.

Since I didn't have another phone to use, I decided to try the one thing pgeorg suggested that I hadn't done. Namely reboot the phone AFTER deleting the old bluetooth phone but before re-pairing. I did that and my problem was gone.

Hats off to pgeorg.....you saved my bacon. It is a small thing but not having hands free link work is a big deal to me.

It's take a Village, or rather AcuraZine to get things done.
The following 2 users liked this post by Malibu Flyer:
neuronbob (07-18-2015), pgeorg (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

I have resolved my Private Mode issue and it is really thanks to pgeorg. As I indicated earlier I deleted the old Hands Free Link references in my iPhone bluetooth settings as well as the iPhone reference shown in the car but still had the same issue with Private Mode.

I spent some time on the phone with the Hands Free Link folks [888-528-7876]. They told me that Private Mode is not a setting on the car's software but rather that mode is set automatically by the phone. Therefor there is no option in the car to turn it off. He didn't know how to re-set it on the iPhone but, as pgeorg and Bob suggested, I should delete the phone and re-pair it. When I told them I had already done that, the suggestion was to reload the Verizon network setting. As I had just updated the network settings, based on a notification from Verizon, a few days ago, their last suggestion was to attempt to connect a different phone to the car. If the second phone had the same issue, then I should take the car into the dealer since there is likely an issue with the car. If the second phone worked fine, then the problem was on my iPhone.

Since I didn't have another phone to use, I decided to try the one thing pgeorg suggested that I hadn't done. Namely reboot the phone AFTER deleting the old bluetooth phone but before re-pairing. I did that and my problem was gone.

Hats off to pgeorg.....you saved my bacon. It is a small thing but not having hands free link work is a big deal to me.

It's take a Village, or rather AcuraZine to get things done.
I am glad the problem has been resolved, I am also happy that i could help in some small way! Indeed, what a great bunch of people in this particular forum.....
The following 2 users liked this post by pgeorg:
chapel1 (02-01-2016), hondamore (06-02-2015)
Old 03-09-2017, 12:29 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best fix of this problem is going into Phone Setting menu and Choose Yes on Auto Transfer.
Regards,
Old 03-09-2017, 10:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
how did you find this thread - its almost 2 yrs old
Old 03-10-2017, 10:43 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Or you can call the NSA, Edward Snowden or Julian Assange?
Old 03-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I don't think you have to call - they listen