Precision Crafted Performance

Old 01-15-2018, 07:26 PM
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Precision Crafted Performance

Toshiaki Mikoshiba, president and CEO of American Honda Motor Co., is interviewed on the main floor after the Acura press conference at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit

. Acura said Monday it plans a turbocharged V-6 engine that will be exclusive to all future models,

The return of its Type-S performance brand and an expansion of A-Spec sports variants to include all core models.

"We have made a major commitment to Acura to bring each element of Precision Crafted Performance to life through a new generation of products," Mikoshiba said.

"Acura will pursue a unique powertrain strategy that underscores the brand's rightful place as the performance division of Honda."
Attached Thumbnails Precision Crafted Performance-ar-180119801.jpg  

Last edited by Philisophe; 01-15-2018 at 07:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 08:24 PM
Rez
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
Hmm.. A-Spec or Type S RLX would be interesting
Old 01-15-2018, 09:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 645 Likes on 347 Posts
Bring it on!!!Take my money Acura
Old 01-15-2018, 10:45 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts
Aye! Hopefully, we will see the return of what Acura once was! Great looking RDX. The announcement of the Type-S return. I'm really looking forward to the new RLX replacement. I feel like it may be one of the best yet from Acura. Hopefully, they don't screw it up.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by robscharp05
Aye! Hopefully, we will see the return of what Acura once was! Great looking RDX. The announcement of the Type-S return. I'm really looking forward to the new RLX replacement. I feel like it may be one of the best yet from Acura. Hopefully, they don't screw it up.
Assuming the production RDX is anything like the prototype RDX, then it is safe to assume the next gen RLX is going to be insane! There is a lot of talk in the RDX sub forum that a lot of the things mentioned will be cut out, I highly doubt that though so let’s wait and see.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDX10
Assuming the production RDX is anything like the prototype RDX, then it is safe to assume the next gen RLX is going to be insane! There is a lot of talk in the RDX sub forum that a lot of the things mentioned will be cut out, I highly doubt that though so let’s wait and see.
If it is anything like the 2005 RL when it came out. I will be the one of the first to pre-order.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I don't know if there will be an RLX-S, but I can see the V6T going into each and every RLX, for the next generation. What else will they drop in? It seems they are working on phasing the naturally aspirated V6 out. If there is an RLX-S slated for the future, it might be the same engine and what not, but with a bit more displacement. So for the base RLX, there could be a 3.0T, but for the RLX Type S, it might be 3.2T or 3.5T.

The press release says the V6T is exclusive to Acura... and it very much might be. For now. I get the feeling the next generation Ridgeline and Pilot will get some sort of variation of it too. I can't imagine Honda not dropping a turbo version of the V6 into either of those. I can't imagine many people wanting a Ridgeline powered by a 2.0T. That's a lot of mass to move by a small engine.

Honda has always been a company of many cars, but few engines. I can't foresee see them investing in all new turbo engines, just to keep the non turbo engines still going. They seem to have extracted all they can out of that J series engine, over the last 20+ years.

If anything, they will just play with the tuning and make the V6T for the Pilot or Ridgeline churn out plenty of low rpm torque, as opposed to high rpm horsepower.

Last edited by TacoBello; 01-15-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I don't know if there will be an RLX-S, but I can see the V6T going into each and every RLX, for the next generation. What else will they drop in? It seems they are working on phasing the naturally aspirated V6 out. If there is an RLX-S slated for the future, it might be the same engine and what not, but with a bit more displacement. So for the base RLX, there could be a 3.0T, but for the RLX Type S, it might be 3.2T or 3.5T.

The press release says the V6T is exclusive to Acura... and it very much might be. For now. I get the feeling the next generation Ridgeline and Pilot will get some sort of variation of it too. I can't imagine Honda not dropping a turbo version of the V6 into either of those. I can't imagine many people wanting a Ridgeline powered by a 2.0T. That's a lot of mass to move by a small engine.

Honda has always been a company of many cars, but few engines. I can't foresee see them investing in all new turbo engines, just to keep the non turbo engines still going. They seem to have extracted all they can out of that J series engine, over the last 20+ years.

If anything, they will just play with the tuning and make the V6T for the Pilot or Ridgeline churn out plenty of low rpm torque, as opposed to high rpm horsepower.
In the RDX press release they were talking about building an RDX for th chinese market in China. This implies that Acura is taking the chinese market seriously. So with that in mind, china has a law on taxing engines larger than 3.0l, that is why the RDX in china currently has a 3.0l NA V6 (the same one as the MDX Hybrids’ gas engine) and why I see them making a 3.0T and not a 3.2 or 3.5T. Same reason why lincoln and infiniti have a 3.0T and not larger.
The following users liked this post:
silverTL6 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 12:28 AM
Suzuka Master

If it is anything like the 2005 RL when it came out. I will be the one of the first to pre-order.
I’m still IN LOVE with the RL and I think it is extremely extremely under rated. I totally agree with you.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:39 AM
Advanced

I’m still IN LOVE with the RL and I think it is extremely extremely under rated. I totally agree with you.
It really is an amazing car. I remember my dad being one of the first to purchase the RL in late '04. One year later my grandfather purchased an '06 and was very impressed. My father bought it the day after my 13th birthday. I just remember rolling up into school the next day and all my friends were asking me "What is that car?" I finally purchased one but ran into costly problems as I drive over 35k miles a year for work. Hopefully, a new RLX will replace our aging Audi Q7 in the upcoming years.

Last edited by robscharp05; 01-16-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:34 AM
Suzuka Master

It really is an amazing car. I remember my dad being one of the first to purchase the RL in late '04. One year later my grandfather purchased an '06 and was very impressed. My father bought it the day after my 13th birthday. I just remember rolling up into school the next day and all my friends were asking me "What is that car?" I finally purchased one but ran into costly problems as I drive over 35k miles a year for work. Hopefully, a new RLX will replace our aging Audi Q7 in the upcoming years.
Which is why I have been hesitant to touch an RL. From what I understand they can be a tad bit pricey (can I say smart key door handles?)
Old 01-17-2018, 09:28 PM
Advanced

Which is why I have been hesitant to touch an RL. From what I understand they can be a tad bit pricey (can I say smart key door handles?)
Just average repairs older luxury cars. I know I replaced two pumps within 6 months of ownership. The Acura dealer replaced both smart keys and a new sensor for the keyless access system and changed all the fluids. I purchased the RL through a local Acura dealership. Pristine Condition when I took delivery. With driving 30k miles a year a 10+ car won't cut it.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts

You scare of the RL repair price? have you ever try to repair something in the Lexus IS series? The LS even more entertaining. I can't afford to buy new car every 3 years so I would rather deal with maint my car and keep them on the road.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:26 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
RLXLegend V6T Sport Hybrid with a really nice looking A-Spec Body kit.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by truonghthe
You scare of the RL repair price? have you ever try to repair something in the Lexus IS series? The LS even more entertaining. I can't afford to buy new car every 3 years so I would rather deal with maint my car and keep them on the road.
Yes lmao, I am very scared of the RL repairs. I have had 9 cars so far in my “driving career”, 5 of them were German and it was the last one where I vowed to not touch anything German out of warranty. Thus I came to Acura. I love the way the RL looks but I’ve heard the stories of expensive repairs and therefore would not touch one, at least right now.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Yes lmao, I am very scared of the RL repairs. I have had 9 cars so far in my “driving career”, 5 of them were German and it was the last one where I vowed to not touch anything German out of warranty. Thus I came to Acura. I love the way the RL looks but I’ve heard the stories of expensive repairs and therefore would not touch one, at least right now.

IF you actually owned German cars then its nothing to worry about to maint/ fix for the RL/RLX, yes it will be more expensive than regular Honda Accord but not to the point of spending your whole pay check. Whatever the dealer quoted on any of my Acura, I end up paying 1/3 of the quoted price and yes the same dealer perform the repair.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:16 PM
Advanced

I understand where you're coming from man, but the RL is nothing compared to Mercedes. A friend of mine has a 2010 Mercedes CLS 63AMG that he earned through his company, and his repair bills are nothing compared to any Acura. His front left HID lamp went out and it was about $2400 to replace the headlamp assembly and computer. He has already replaced the front air suspension replaced twice. The car is 8 and has about 80k miles. That's just the stuff he told me about...

Last edited by robscharp05; 01-21-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:05 PM
Stealth Stylin'

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I will add my $0.02 here as well. I had an '05 RL for many years, and during that time (sold it @ 100k), I only had two issues. The first issue was the smart door sensor only on my driver's side which was replaced under warranty. I think it was a known issue for that model year. The second issue was a malfunctioning solenoid in the starter, IIRC. That wasn't too bad on the repair cost. The flatbed delivery fee to take it to the dealer was close to the repair cost. So don't be afraid of the Acura; overall, it's more reliable than the German luxury brands.

I will say that luxury/near-luxury cars do seem to have higher costs on the parts side, but higher prices seems pretty much standard across all luxury/n-l brands.