Paws

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Paws

Have been uneasy with the PAWS since its (re)introduction. Two questions:

1. Am I correct that the 2018 does NOT have PAWS, is this a sight things to come?
2. Have any of the early owners experienced any issues with the PAWS, maintenance, alignments, etc?

thanks?
Old 12-05-2017, 06:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
P-AWS is still around with the '18's.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:45 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by emas
Have been uneasy with the PAWS since its (re)introduction. Two questions:

1. Am I correct that the 2018 does NOT have PAWS, is this a sight things to come?
2. Have any of the early owners experienced any issues with the PAWS, maintenance, alignments, etc?

thanks?
I had exactly the same vehicle. PAW-s seems to help eliminate torque steer on this vehicle and shorten the turning radius. I did have noise occasionally from the actuators in the paw-s system. The dealer couldn't hear it of course. Great highway vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
wstr75 (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by R. White
I had exactly the same vehicle. PAW-s seems to help eliminate torque steer on this vehicle and shorten the turning radius. I did have noise occasionally from the actuators in the paw-s system. The dealer couldn't hear it of course. Great highway vehicle.
did the dealer ever fix it? Have you ha a 4 wheel alignment yet, any problems with that?
thanks again
Old 12-05-2017, 09:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by moose66
P-AWS is still around with the '18's.
some of the reviews I've read seem to suggest that the 2018 hybrid no longer has PAWS??
Old 12-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
We have had a 2016 PAWS for two years and 33000 miles. No problems whatsoever. As R. White said above, great highway car.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
some of the reviews I've read seem to suggest that the 2018 hybrid no longer has PAWS??
The Sport Hybrid version of the RLX has never had PAWS all wheel steering. The two models are distinct - a FWD version with PAWS or a Sport Hybrid SHAWD version without PAWS.

There have been some rumors suggesting the two technologies may be used together in the future, but not yet.

The PAWS technology is a definite asset to handling and turning radius but the PAWS version of the RLX was plagued by early suspension issues (since corrected) which is why there is bad press out there about the PAWS version. If AWD is not a must-have feature for you, then the PAWS version of the RLX is a great choice for a quiet, comfortable luxury car AND there are plenty of great deals out there on the PAWS version thanks to the aforementioned early bad press.

Good luck in your purchase.
The following 2 users liked this post by hondamore:
emas (12-06-2017), moose66 (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Paws

did the dealer ever fix it? Have you ha a 4 wheel alignment yet, any problems with that?
thanks again
The lease ended and I turned it in. The dealer looked hard for a '16 or '17, but could find one in New England so I moved over to an RDX. The actuators were never fixed when I had the '14. Four wheel alignment was never a problem
The following users liked this post:
emas (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 05:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I don't see why PAWS would ever be added to the Hybrid. The turn radius is aided by the torque variation in the rear electric motors. My Hybrid MDX turns better than my RLX PAWS ever did.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
getakey, the earlier reference to turning radius was referring to turning the car at slow speed in the smallest possible circle. The turning radius of slow speed maneuvers (like getting in and out of parking spots or making a U-turn on a narrow street) is improved by the PAWS technology turning the rear wheels in the opposite direction of the front wheels so the back end swings around easier and the car turns in a smaller circle. The torque vectoring of the Sport Hybrid has no effect on turning radius during slow speed driving.

During high speed driving, the PAWS turns the rear wheels in the same direction as the front wheels which enhances stability. PAWS can also toe in both rear wheels under braking to assist and stabilize braking. With these benefits in ADDITION to the torque vectoring of the Sport Hybrid SHAWD system, the possibility of even better handling exists (if they can make the systems work together).

One of the knocks on any FWD based car is the increased turning radius, and that is why adding the technology to the Spot Hybrid MAY be considered (strictly rumors at this point).

Last edited by hondamore; 12-06-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I disagree. I had an RLX PAWS and it did turn better at slooow speed in parking maneuver than my previous RL with SH-AWD.

However, I can tell you that the Hybrid SHAWD does make a difference in slooow speed turning. My MDX has a smaller turning radius than my PAWS had. I also test drove the non Hybrid MDX. Turn radius while parking is larger.
In slow speed the inside rear wheel will brake while the outside "pushes". It does make a difference

Also - I have seen instances in high speed driving where the inside rear will add torque in a curve rather than brake. This tends to happen on high radius curves at speeds of 65+ until the rear motors cut out

Last edited by getakey; 12-06-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:23 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
There have been some rumors suggesting the two technologies may be used together in the future, but not yet.
I don't want to even think about how they might screw that up. :-)
Old 12-08-2017, 09:25 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
There were some issues that Honda took care of for the owners. There was a TCB and a recall.

That was for the 2014 models and I don't remember hearing anything bad about the new ones.

The only bad thing that I could say about a P-AWS system that is working correctly is that it takes a little tiny bit of getting used to. It works, it's not just a gimmick, so your car will turn better and this takes some getting used to if somebody's coming to the RLX P-AWS from a typical FWD car that will push in a corner.