Oops - Bumper Repair Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:44 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Oops - Bumper Repair Question

Well, after 2 and 1/2 years, I suppose it had to happen. I clipped a snow bank that must have had some ice in it this morning and put a small dent (a few inches in diameter) in the bottom right corner of my front bumber. Not so noticeable, but my first blemish of any sort on the car. Weep. I'm not going to buy a new front bumper for this, but I thought I would try to see if I could heat the plastic and push out the dent from the inside (i.e. deform the plastic back to its original curve). I've never tried to do this before, and I wonder if anyone can give me advice on what temperature is needed to deform the plastic bumber, but that will not melt the plastic or take off the paint.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I bet your local body shop could do a paintless dent repair type of thing which should do the trick. This is outside my expertise, but that is what I would do. I found out last week that we have aluminum doors! How do I know? A loaded unmanned shopping cart slammed into the side of my car and dented/scratched the passenger side rear door in that same freaking grocery store parking lot where an old lady banged into me and took off a while ago. About $1,000 later and the dent removed/paintwork completed, and the world is a good place again. Then it snowed and the car has not been outside since I picked it up. Next time I go to that grocery store, I'm parking in Canada, a long way away from civilization. Just a joke to you Canadians. Take it easy.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
hi!

I've been watching A LOT OF youtube lately! and there are some great STEP-BY-STEP videos on how to fix bumpers!

The following 4 users liked this post by justnspace:
fsmith (03-15-2017), miner (03-16-2017), pgeorg (03-15-2017), TampaRLX-SH (03-15-2017)