AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RLX (2013+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/)
-   -   New windshield needed (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/new-windshield-needed-977435/)

snoozabelle 02-24-2019 04:18 PM

New windshield needed

My troubles continue with this car! I got hit with a BB in the windshield last week. The glass will be covered by my insurance but the $650 recalibration at the dealer is not! OMG! The starburst created is now spreading cracks across the glass. It's not in my line of vision but I need to get the glass ordered and fixed sooner than later. Anyone else have their windshield replaced?

RLX-Sport Hybrid 02-24-2019 06:56 PM

That is too bad but that could happen to any car. I've had my share over the years too. It happens.

NBP04TL4ME 02-24-2019 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by snoozabelle (Post 16388380)
My troubles continue with this car! I got hit with a BB in the windshield last week. The glass will be covered by my insurance but the $650 recalibration at the dealer is not! OMG! The starburst created is now spreading cracks across the glass. It's not in my line of vision but I need to get the glass ordered and fixed sooner than later. Anyone else have their windshield replaced?

Not sure who your carrier is, but I would go back to them ask how they can't cover the calibration seeing it is needed for the correct operation of some of the safety features of your car. You could potentially argue that not having the calibration done is going to cause false issue/warnings and/or malfunctions. I do't know what safety features are specific to your car. If hey dig in and say they still aren't going to cover it - reach out to Nick (from my PM). I know he does these, not sure what his cost would be, but likely less than $650.
Keep us posted

Limelight 02-25-2019 06:26 AM

I had a rock hit my windshield last year and needed a replacement. In error, my dealer first removed the broken windshield and THEN opened the box of the windshield they ordered - only to realize it was damaged. By this point, it was too late as my car was sitting in the shop without glass so they installed a P-AWS windshield without saying anything and sent me on my way. I quickly realized the error on my drive home when I noticed that the HUD was all blurry - it was impossible for them not to know what they did and they eventually admitted it (the Sport Hybrid windshield is different than the P-AWS one - so make sure they install the correct replacement).

I then had to drive my car like this for several weeks as another Sport Hybrid windshield was ordered from Japan... That said, my insurance paid for the entire claim for OEM glass (over $3,000 CDN, which included recalibration) minus my $500 deductible. I would push back on your insurer because that's all part of the installation process, but the $650 fee is ridiculous. I'd have to pull my invoice but I seem to recall the recalibration was around $250 CDN. One final note, I seem to recall I was told there was no after market glass for the SH because of all the tech included, but regardless, make sure they are installing OEM. It's a mighty expensive piece of glass though - my insurer said that if I submit another glass claim anytime soon, they would cover it again but most likely then cancel the glass provision in my policy.

Krlesch 02-25-2019 11:29 AM

Long story follows - bottom line, call your insurance carrier again...calibration is required when replacing the front windshield - not optional.

Had this happen to my 2016 with less than 5K on the odometer. I have USAA for insurance (US Navy veteran) and took the car to Safelite for glass replacement. Safelite said they had could have the glass in a day, so I scheduled the appointment. The day of the install, Safelite calls and says they have a problem, the glass they got is wrong (P-AWS glass vs. SH-AWD). They tried to send me down the road with the wrong glass (new glass would take a week to get) but I had warning lights all over the dash and so I had them put the old windshield back in (lucky they had not damaged it any further). A week later they got the correct windshield in and installed with zero issues - no cost to me at all - covered by USAA.

Took the car to the Acura dealership where I bought it - they quoted $250 for calibration. When I got the car from Acura, I didn't even get out of the lot before I had a message on the screen stating that the calibration was incomplete. Took it back to the garage - there is a calibration for the front of the car and a calibration for the rear, as well. The tech had not completed the calibration for the rear. Was quoted another $250 for the rear calibration. I balked, but was told that's the price.

When I turned in both receipts ($500) to USAA, they both got paid - no deductible required for this - covered under glass breakage.

mqs1 02-28-2019 09:25 AM

Just replaced my windshield on my SH and just got my auto insurance renewal noticed...... it went up $400 ($800/yr) with the only auto "event"/claim being the windshield replacement.... sheesh. I think the total windshield replacement bill was like $1600 or something like that. Living in Colorado, lots of rocks etc leading to frequent windshield cracks.

kingofire 02-28-2019 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by mqs1 (Post 16390621)
Just replaced my windshield on my SH and just got my auto insurance renewal noticed...... it went up $400 ($800/yr) with the only auto "event"/claim being the windshield replacement.... sheesh. I think the total windshield replacement bill was like $1600 or something like that. Living in Colorado, lots of rocks etc leading to frequent windshield cracks.

Go to gabi.com and put your info in and see if there are other insurance carriers that are cheaper. I just did it and I saved around $400/year going with Esurance with the same exact coverage as I had with Commerce.

pcloadletter 05-06-2019 07:53 PM

I was quoted $140 for calibration at one dealer and much more at another. Safelite wanted to charge $700, just for calibration.

snoozabelle 05-06-2019 10:07 PM

The saga continues: The wrong windshield was shipped (no surprise) and now it seems the only one to be found is in California! It's being shipped but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it. The crack continues to grow, now in a different a different direction. It's kinda
fun to see where it goes next! Meanwhile I'm getting the brakes done on my RDX tomorrow before putting new tires on. Always good to be able to stop!

snoozabelle 05-24-2019 04:34 PM

New windshield was shipped to the shop. Too bad it was cracked. Calling Japan next?

Limelight 05-24-2019 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by snoozabelle (Post 16430779)
New windshield was shipped to the shop. Too bad it was cracked. Calling Japan next?

Sorry to hear. I had the exact same two issues happen to me.

Good luck.

NBP04TL4ME 05-25-2019 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by snoozabelle (Post 16430779)

Sorry to hear and very unfortunate. Hopefully they can get another one quickly. Murphy is always out there.......

snoozabelle 05-27-2019 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME (Post 16430956)
Sorry to hear and very unfortunate. Hopefully they can get another one quickly. Murphy is always out there.......

It's not looking like a quick fix. Honda does not stock this windshield. Glass guy is looking but not having much luck.
Meanwhile, the crack continues to grow. Luckily not in my line of vision!

NBP04TL4ME 05-27-2019 03:59 PM

Oye! Did the dealer have an ETA? I believe the PN is 73111-TY3-A01. Not positive, but believe that is the the part number. I know there is a parts warehouse in CT, but as you said it may not be stocked there. It's a big piece and likely doesn't ship too easy. best of luck that your saga comes to a close soon. :wish:

snoozabelle 06-01-2019 09:23 PM

New windshield is in and will be installed Monday at Hubby's place of work (body shop). Wednesday I have an appointment at the dealer for calibration. Hope all goes well . . .

snoozabelle 06-03-2019 12:48 PM

Wrong windshield shipped. Canceled recalibration. Not very happy with incompetent parts people. 😡