AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RLX (2013+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/)
-   -   New windshield dilemma (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/new-windshield-dilemma-979038/)

snoozabelle 04-24-2019 11:16 PM

New windshield dilemma

I have an appointment for windshield replacement next week with the glass guy my hubby knows. He wants to replace with a Pilkington which he claims
will not require any recalibration at the dealer. I'm skeptical after reading this forum that the Pilkington will work like my OEM with the features of my car.
I hope someone can point me in the right direction before I have the windshield replaced. I'm not up for any more issues right now.
Help me o wise ostrich owners!!!!!!

justnspace 04-25-2019 05:41 AM

if you are so worried, dont get the glass replaced.

some manu's use piilkington...

hondamore 04-25-2019 09:58 AM

I am shocked that an aftermarket or non-OEM windshield even exists for the RLX considering how few of them are out on the roads. It hardly seems economically feasible to do the tooling and engineering to make one and then hope to sell MAYBE a hundred units a year.

If you have the Pilkington windshield replacement done, please report back to us on how it works out.

mqs1 04-25-2019 11:23 AM

Another member got a non-SH windshield for his SH and all of the sensors etc didn't work properly because the SH windshield has a special film or something. He had to have it replaced to the correct SH windshield. I would verify this is the correct windshield for the SH first.....

But regardless, OEM to OEM glass still gets recalibrated so this frankly makes no sense...... to me.....

Limelight 04-25-2019 11:59 AM

^^ This might be me. I had a rock hit my windshield and brought it into my dealer for replacement. The first mistake they made was to remove my windshield first as this naturally left my car unusable. They then opened up the box for my new SH windshield and realized it was damaged during shipping - and since they didn't want me in a loaner for an extended period while ordering another SH windshield (as the first one took awhile to arrive) - they decided to install a P-AWS windshield instead and send me on my way.

Turns out the SH has special glass due to the Heads up Display and I assume they didn't realize that - assuming the P-AWS and the SH were the same. I however I realized it right away when my HUD was blurry. A quick look at the part numbers and sure enough, it was a P-AWS windshield. They initially claimed it was an honest mistake but the Service Advisor later told me it was because they removed my windshield before realizing the replacement had been damaged. That advisor is no longer at the dealership :)

So yes, unless this Pilkington windshield is designed for the SH and meets OEM standards (which I highly doubt they'd manufacture one specifically for such a low volume car) - I would stick to OEM.

I will say my SH OEM replacement was around $3,600 CDN after recalibration of all the systems.... Not a cheap piece of glass.

George Knighton 04-26-2019 08:18 AM

When we refer to "recalibration of the systems," what is it that we are talking about?

Limelight 04-26-2019 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by George Knighton (Post 16416905)
When we refer to "recalibration of the systems," what is it that we are talking about?

Lane Keep Assist, CMBS, adaptive cruise control etc... I gather there are sensors that need to be aiming properly to ensure proper functioning.

snoozabelle 04-26-2019 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16416291)
if you are so worried, dont get the glass replaced.

some manu's use piilkington...

Obviously, not really an option to not replace. Just looking for members experience with replacement. I only want to do it once and be done.

Update: Installer has ordered OEM windshield from Acura at my request.

Limelight 04-26-2019 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by snoozabelle (Post 16417052)
Update: Installer has ordered OEM windshield from Acura at my request.

Good call. Make sure they triple check that they ordered the correct Sport Hybrid windshield by using your VIN to confirm compatibility. The only reason I say that is based on my experience at my local dealers is they know nothing about the Sport Hybrid RLX. What you don't want is for them to just order "an RLX windshield" assuming the P-AWS and SH are the same - because they aren't!

snoozabelle 04-27-2019 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Limelight (Post 16417101)
Good call. Make sure they triple check that they ordered the correct Sport Hybrid windshield by using your VIN to confirm compatibility. The only reason I say that is based on my experience at my local dealers is they know nothing about the Sport Hybrid RLX. What you don't want is for them to just order "an RLX windshield" assuming the P-AWS and SH are the same - because they aren't!

Installer used my VIN to make sure he ordered the right windshield. I guess I made it clear to him I didn't want to do this twice.

pcloadletter 04-27-2019 06:28 PM

Only the LKAS camera looks through the windshield. CMBS and adaptive cruise uses radar in the grill. Mine's been cracked for a while, called safelite and they quoted $500 glass, $700 install with calibration. Dealer was about the same overall, $1000 glass, $200 install with calibration.

The advanced package also includes thicker glass to reduce noise.