New windshield dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 11:16 PM
Snoozabelle

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
New windshield dilemma

I have an appointment for windshield replacement next week with the glass guy my hubby knows. He wants to replace with a Pilkington which he claims
will not require any recalibration at the dealer. I'm skeptical after reading this forum that the Pilkington will work like my OEM with the features of my car.
I hope someone can point me in the right direction before I have the windshield replaced. I'm not up for any more issues right now.
Help me o wise ostrich owners!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2019, 05:41 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
if you are so worried, dont get the glass replaced.

some manu's use piilkington...
Old 04-25-2019, 09:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I am shocked that an aftermarket or non-OEM windshield even exists for the RLX considering how few of them are out on the roads. It hardly seems economically feasible to do the tooling and engineering to make one and then hope to sell MAYBE a hundred units a year.

If you have the Pilkington windshield replacement done, please report back to us on how it works out.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 15 Posts
Another member got a non-SH windshield for his SH and all of the sensors etc didn't work properly because the SH windshield has a special film or something. He had to have it replaced to the correct SH windshield. I would verify this is the correct windshield for the SH first.....

But regardless, OEM to OEM glass still gets recalibrated so this frankly makes no sense...... to me.....
Old 04-25-2019, 11:59 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
^^ This might be me. I had a rock hit my windshield and brought it into my dealer for replacement. The first mistake they made was to remove my windshield first as this naturally left my car unusable. They then opened up the box for my new SH windshield and realized it was damaged during shipping - and since they didn't want me in a loaner for an extended period while ordering another SH windshield (as the first one took awhile to arrive) - they decided to install a P-AWS windshield instead and send me on my way.

Turns out the SH has special glass due to the Heads up Display and I assume they didn't realize that - assuming the P-AWS and the SH were the same. I however I realized it right away when my HUD was blurry. A quick look at the part numbers and sure enough, it was a P-AWS windshield. They initially claimed it was an honest mistake but the Service Advisor later told me it was because they removed my windshield before realizing the replacement had been damaged. That advisor is no longer at the dealership

So yes, unless this Pilkington windshield is designed for the SH and meets OEM standards (which I highly doubt they'd manufacture one specifically for such a low volume car) - I would stick to OEM.

I will say my SH OEM replacement was around $3,600 CDN after recalibration of all the systems.... Not a cheap piece of glass.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:18 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
When we refer to "recalibration of the systems," what is it that we are talking about?
Old 04-26-2019, 08:21 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by George Knighton
When we refer to "recalibration of the systems," what is it that we are talking about?
Lane Keep Assist, CMBS, adaptive cruise control etc... I gather there are sensors that need to be aiming properly to ensure proper functioning.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:48 AM
Snoozabelle

Originally Posted by justnspace
if you are so worried, dont get the glass replaced.

some manu's use piilkington...
Obviously, not really an option to not replace. Just looking for members experience with replacement. I only want to do it once and be done.

Update: Installer has ordered OEM windshield from Acura at my request.

Last edited by snoozabelle; 04-26-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by snoozabelle
Update: Installer has ordered OEM windshield from Acura at my request.
Good call. Make sure they triple check that they ordered the correct Sport Hybrid windshield by using your VIN to confirm compatibility. The only reason I say that is based on my experience at my local dealers is they know nothing about the Sport Hybrid RLX. What you don't want is for them to just order "an RLX windshield" assuming the P-AWS and SH are the same - because they aren't!
Old 04-27-2019, 12:48 AM
Snoozabelle

Originally Posted by Limelight
Good call. Make sure they triple check that they ordered the correct Sport Hybrid windshield by using your VIN to confirm compatibility. The only reason I say that is based on my experience at my local dealers is they know nothing about the Sport Hybrid RLX. What you don't want is for them to just order "an RLX windshield" assuming the P-AWS and SH are the same - because they aren't!
Installer used my VIN to make sure he ordered the right windshield. I guess I made it clear to him I didn't want to do this twice.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:28 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Only the LKAS camera looks through the windshield. CMBS and adaptive cruise uses radar in the grill. Mine's been cracked for a while, called safelite and they quoted $500 glass, $700 install with calibration. Dealer was about the same overall, $1000 glass, $200 install with calibration.

The advanced package also includes thicker glass to reduce noise.
The following users liked this post:
George Knighton (04-28-2019)