AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RLX (2013+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/)
-   -   New wax for the Blackbird (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/new-wax-blackbird-936618/)

RLX-Sport Hybrid 09-25-2015 07:29 AM

New wax for the Blackbird

Hey gang, after giving the Blackbird a full tear down of the finish, a thorough clay bar treatment and then building the progressive steps of rebuilding the sealant and wax finishes I wanted, I added a new step which I though I would share with you. After all the things I do, I added Chemical Guys Butter Wax, followed by a wet application of their detailing spray. It is extremely easy to apply and wipe off, and the results are terrific! I know this thread could be in the Wash & Wax section, but I thought you all might be interested so I thought posting here would be better.

justnspace 09-25-2015 07:47 AM

:pics:

neuronbob 09-25-2015 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 15563916)
:pics:

This. Pics or it didn't happen. :D

I have another car-induced (actually, kids from soccer class-induced) scratch on my car, so other than a good wash with ONR weekly, and Zaino Z7 finisher, I've almost given up on caring for my black car. Sigh. Maybe I need to drive my car to NYC to let you detail it. :D :D

TampaRLX-SH 09-25-2015 10:07 AM

Dr. Car Care....STAT!

RLX-Sport Hybrid 09-25-2015 11:47 AM

As requested (no this is not my home but a nice back drop for the picture):

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Z...2B12.34.11.jpg

RLX-Sport Hybrid 09-25-2015 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by neuronbob (Post 15563965)
This. Pics or it didn't happen. :D

I have another car-induced (actually, kids from soccer class-induced) scratch on my car, so other than a good wash with ONR weekly, and Zaino Z7 finisher, I've almost given up on caring for my black car. Sigh. Maybe I need to drive my car to NYC to let you detail it. :D :D

That is unfortunate. You are welcome any time and I would be happy to give your car a "once over".

The picture does not show my work very well, but even up close you can be sure that there are NO swirls, mars or marks of any kind, other than a couple of minor stone chips from everyday driving :annoyed:. The paint finish is as smooth as one could imagine. 6 treatment application/steps to get to this execution takes time and effort. If it were it enjoyable to detail the car to this level, I would not do it. I'm glad to be able to do it again.

TampaRLX-SH 09-25-2015 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid (Post 15564182)
(no this is not my home but a nice back drop for the picture):

How long after you snapped the pic did the homeowner "RELEASE THE HOUNDS!" :tongue:

RLX-Sport Hybrid 09-25-2015 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH (Post 15564550)
How long after you snapped the pic did the homeowner "RELEASE THE HOUNDS!" :tongue:

They are very nice people. They have a German Sheppard I think, but the horses are beautiful. It is above my pay grade.

JM2010 SH-AWD 09-25-2015 07:26 PM

The car looks great and right at home there. Quick question - do you use an orbital buffer?

RLX-Sport Hybrid 09-25-2015 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD (Post 15564816)
The car looks great and right at home there. Quick question - do you use an orbital buffer?

I do almost everything by hand. When I need to do slightly more aggressive work (rarely), I use my Rupes LHR 21ES Random Orbital Polisher. I use micro fiber pads and occasionally a foam pad, but mostly hand applications with a series of microfiber gloves as it allows me to "feel" the paint better than an applicator pad or towel. I measure the microns of paint thickness before an after to make sure I am not taking anything off. Mostly surface level stuff. I stay on top of it so it looks great just about all the time. I enjoy doing it.

One thing, that house in the back ground is one of the stables for the horses. The main house is ridiculous.

fsmith 09-26-2015 11:24 AM

RLX-Sport Hybrid - How do you measure the microns of paint thickness?

RLX-Sport Hybrid 09-26-2015 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by fsmith (Post 15565128)
RLX-Sport Hybrid - How do you measure the microns of paint thickness?

I use this tool:
https://www.instrumart.com/assets/Extech-CG304-500.jpg

fsmith 09-26-2015 12:59 PM

You really are a madman, RLX-Sport Hybrid. This confirms it. (Of course, now I want one, too!) :thumbsup:

RLX-Sport Hybrid 09-26-2015 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by fsmith (Post 15565187)
You really are a madman, RLX-Sport Hybrid. This confirms it. (Of course, now I want one, too!) :thumbsup:

Completely mad! I really enjoy it.

RLX-Sport Hybrid 09-28-2015 01:23 PM

Additional pictures to attempt to show how the paint finish looks after the extensive treatments I applied:

Picture of the sky directly:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-h...cture%2529.jpg

Same shot looking through the trunk lid a moment later:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-X...runk%2Blid.jpg

Fabvsix 09-28-2015 03:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I used Zaino exclusively since 2001 and never looked back. Yes Black is the most challenging to keep flawless. Here is my current 2004 RL with 75 coats of Zaino (Z5 & Z6). Its NEVER seen a car wash. Hand washed and waxed since new ! Currently have 28,700 miles on her. California CHERRY....:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

RLX-Sport Hybrid 09-28-2015 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Fabvsix (Post 15566732)
I used Zaino exclusively since 2001 and never looked back. Yes Black is the most challenging to keep flawless. Here is my current 2004 RL with 75 coats of Zaino (Z5 & Z6). Its NEVER seen a car wash. Hand washed and waxed since new ! Currently have 28,700 miles on her. California CHERRY....:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Looks beautiful! I like the lines of the car. The low hood relative to the rest of the car I find an attractive component. It reminds me of the low hood relative to the rest of the car in the Audi A8. I'm stretching for sure with that analogy, but provide a little liberty for me. Every time it rains back east, the car needs a wash. Ok, not according to my wife, but for me it does.

Keep up the great work! Looks great!

imj0257 08-08-2018 01:15 PM

Seems like I'm having just as bad battery drain with the newest beta update than I did before using beta.

losiglow 08-08-2018 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by imj0257 (Post 16277525)
Seems like I'm having just as bad battery drain with the newest beta update than I did before using beta.

In a three year old thread about waxing a car?

:confused:

4cruizn 08-10-2018 10:50 PM

Gorgeous RLX Hybrid, and I love the 01 RL in this thread too. Wow < 30k miles on a 2004. Minty.

Kgb2016 08-17-2018 12:11 PM

There aren’t too many threads about detailing anymore. Used to be lots. Did people lose the pride of ownership or just got lazy?
I still love giving my vehicles a good TLC. Both cars are white, so it’s not as difficult to maintain as black ones. I can still spend a couple of hours on each of them cleaning and detailing. Used Zaino before and liked it but now I use the Chemical guys. Love it! The jet seal, the butter wax are phenomenal!

hondamore 08-17-2018 12:24 PM

Forgive me all for I have sinned...I confess that I am one of those lazy guys who runs his car through the touchless car wash once a week to rinse off the crud and then takes it into the detailing shop once a year for a head to toe detailing. My wallet now does the work that I once did.

I don't really miss the days when I would spend hours on the driveway with a bucket of soapy water, then a hose and a chamois washing my car every week. Could be old age, could be laziness or a bit of both.

I await my penance.

Kgb2016 08-17-2018 12:29 PM

And the baby Jesus will strike you from above for that! LOL!!
For me it’s part of my exercise cardio, at the end of the wash I’m all tired and spent, just like an hour on treadmill. Plus the enjoyment of seen the results.

Limelight 08-17-2018 12:59 PM

My cars are always spotless. I enjoy the time I spend detailing my car. I do a full clay bar, paint correction, polish, seal and wax twice a year and weekly details in between.

Once the full treatment is done, a regular hand wash creates the complete detail look in 30 minutes. For me it’s mindless work (and mild exercise) but takes my mind off the stresses of every day life. I zone out and do my thang.

I have a white SH and my neighbours always joke that they liked it better when it was blue - just teasing me that I’ve washed the colour right out of it.

In terms of what I use, I’m partial to specialty products like Blackfire tire gel, Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant, Collinite 845, Four Star and Zymol Treat for the leather. Meguiars Ultimate spray wax is a good “over the counter” basic spray wax I use weekly after washing...

RLX-Sport Hybrid 08-17-2018 03:39 PM

I just blew ice coffee out my nose when I read your post Hondamore! Car wash! Blasphemy!

hondamore 08-17-2018 08:58 PM

Don't forget that 3 and a half years into ownership of my RLX, I have only driven 13600 Km (less than 8500 miles). My car doesn't really get very dirty sitting in the garage. Now, I have to go and attend a Lazy Bastard's Anonymous meeting, I was supposed to bring the doughnuts but maybe I won't bother.

RLX-Sport Hybrid 08-17-2018 09:30 PM

That is freaking funny!

Likeke58 12-07-2018 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Limelight (Post 16282328)
My cars are always spotless. I enjoy the time I spend detailing my car. I do a full clay bar, paint correction, polish, seal and wax twice a year and weekly details in between.

Once the full treatment is done, a regular hand wash creates the complete detail look in 30 minutes. For me it’s mindless work (and mild exercise) but takes my mind off the stresses of every day life. I zone out and do my thang.

I have a white SH and my neighbours always joke that they liked it better when it was blue - just teasing me that I’ve washed the colour right out of it.

In terms of what I use, I’m partial to specialty products like Blackfire tire gel, Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant, Collinite 845, Four Star and Zymol Treat for the leather. Meguiars Ultimate spray wax is a good “over the counter” basic spray wax I use weekly after washing...

You a person after my own heart, I'm almost right there with you. I typically detail my cars on the weekend and maybe sometimes during the week during the summer months. My typical products of choice are Chemical Guys products including Jet Seal and Pete's 53' paste wax. We just acquired a 2005 RL and I just got a 2017 V6 Accord so I can be pretty busy on the weekends in the garage. I only use Eco-Wash or maybe take down to the car wash and spray it off. I am like you, it's also kind of therapy for me and my neighbors also tease me about rubbing the paint off!