Need some direction please - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Need some direction please

Old 07-30-2017, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Need some direction please

Hey guys, it's been a while but seems I have something going on with the 2014 RLX paws. First off I don't drive the car often which I guess I should, but it's my wife's daily drive. So we sent out to eat last night and I noticed a shutter feel, kind of like the running out of gas feel, a skip or jumping feel. I feel like it's something in the transmission because it's real apparent an most noticeable going through the first few gears. Drives fine at speed in hwy. And also when you get on it from a stop. I got on it like a 20 something a few times thinking maybe trash or injector build up. Driving like the a 50 something I am I can feel it an my wife said she's noticed it for awhile. Still under warranty so if I have to head to dealer I will but feel better knowing what I'm talking about when I walk in. Thanks you all
Old 07-31-2017, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

If it is still under warranty then let the dealer diagnose. I suggest having a tech ride with you so you can point out the anomaly to avoid the "...can not duplicate" diagnosis.
The Following User Says Thank You to miner For This Useful Post:
hondamore (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

Have you had a flat lately?

Sometimes flat repairs cause asymetry in one tire and it causes shaking while driving at certain speeds. I had a 96 accord ex. I used a product called fix a flat on my flat tire some time later at 55 mph-70 mph my car would shake at 75 mph it would disappear. Maybe you have the same simple problem
The Following User Says Thank You to quartzinterior For This Useful Post:
hondamore (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

The only thing I would add is that there may be certain scenarios when the VCM is engaging/disengaging at the same time that the transmission is changing gears, that you may get the sensation that something is off a bit. The orchestration of cylinder activation/deactivation combined with gear changes can be complicated at certain "marginal" acceleration rates when the system is just about to shut off some cylinders and just about to select a different gear at the same time. If this turns out to be the case, I would consider the great gas mileage the RLX gets (especially considering its size and weight) to be a good trade off for the occasional "mild shudder feel" of the VCM.

I agree that pointing the issue out during a test drive with your local Acura tech is the best way to get it diagnosed.

Last edited by hondamore; 07-31-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Thanked 1,059 Times in 469 Posts
Including with the other comments, check the alignment too alone with getting the tires rebalanced with a Hunter Balancing Machine.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

If you are getting the feeling thats its the transmission, then you should print these two TSBs out and take them with you when you go in for service.

It sounds like it might be whats going on....of course I might be completely wrong

Originally Posted by EE4Life
TSBs 16-065 and 16-066 were revised. The titles were changed and years were added.

TSB 16-065 - 2012 RL, 2014–17 RLX: Judder from the Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch
Applies To: 2012 RL - ALL - ALL
2014-17 RLX - ALL except Hybrid - ALL
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-065.PDF
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...nu/B16-065.PDF

TSB 16-066 - 2012 RL, 2014–17 RLX: Judder from the Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch After Software Update
Applies To: 2012 RL - ALL - ALL
2014-17 RLX - ALL except Hybrid - ALL
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-066.PDF
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...nu/B16-066.PDF

Please update us, when you have an update.....
Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to pgeorg For This Useful Post:
wilspainar (08-18-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by outdoorlife99 View Post
Hey guys, it's been a while but seems I have something going on with the 2014 RLX paws. First off I don't drive the car often which I guess I should, but it's my wife's daily drive. So we sent out to eat last night and I noticed a shutter feel, kind of like the running out of gas feel, a skip or jumping feel. I feel like it's something in the transmission because it's real apparent an most noticeable going through the first few gears. Drives fine at speed in hwy. And also when you get on it from a stop. I got on it like a 20 something a few times thinking maybe trash or injector build up. Driving like the a 50 something I am I can feel it an my wife said she's noticed it for awhile. Still under warranty so if I have to head to dealer I will but feel better knowing what I'm talking about when I walk in. Thanks you all

George,

Does this sound anything like the sensation you had before they rebuilt your engine? I still feel mine is uneven and jerky during slow, controlled acceleration.

To the OP: if you search George Knighton's threads, I believe you will find the one to which I'm referring if my memory is correct.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Yes that is what it feels like, almost like a skip when accelerating at a slow passive speed. If I get on it like an average driver it's not that apparent. Maybe George will Chim in. Going to get a rotate an balance plus alinement before a dive an hour to dealer. But I still say it's transmission or maybe a vacuum hose off somewhere.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

What your describing sounds like transmission

Or possibly misfiring/spark plugs. Acura dealership will diagnose it and get it fixed soon hopefully. Good luck
Old 07-31-2017, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

My car was doing the same thing. I went in for the TSB 16-065 and 16-066. That fixed the issue and my car doesn't hesitate anymore.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Quick update

transmission was the TSB I was informed of on this board, so thanks. Drives so much smoother. I also got a new steering column because the grinding/squeezing when telescopes would not stop, an I just had it turned off for months now. Also got the display updated as it's been losing presets every now and again. So over all they seemed to do their job. We like this car an it's soon paid for so maybe all will be well. Thanks for the direction though guys.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

I guess the steering column is a common thing, mine was replaced as well. Glad it worked out for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.