My encounter with RLX

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Pens Fan
I test drove an Advance model yesterday and agree it is an excellent vehicle-very quiet and luxurious. The only aspect it lacks is the snob appeal of an MB, BMW, or Lexus emblem on the grill.

For some of us, that's a distinct advantage. I actually prefer the 'stealth wealth' an Acura has.

My neighborhood is crawling with those other three brands and a good dose of Caddys as well. But last I counted, there were about 5 or so >2005 RLs in our 2,500 or so households.
A good friend up the street has both an X5 and a 540 BMWs and love the 'status', but pay dearly for it at purchase and in maintenance (even if under warranty, they still waste time).
The following users liked this post:
jhr3uva90 (02-18-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
I think your hypothesis has merit and I actually agree with your point here. Honda did have a cult following and there are people who truly appreciated (myself included) the engineering that the company put in their cars. Remember I stayed with the brand for over 19 years and most recently owned a 2006 RL. I loved that car and recently got into a debate in the BMW forums defending it.

Me personally.... I don't care that it's a FWD based car. I think the tech is pretty cool. The styling does NOTHING for me and if I am going to spend that kind of money, I want to at least REALLY like how it looks. As I said before it kind of looks "old man-ish".

As for Acura as well. It would be fine if they just came out and said, "fine, we are different, we will continue be geeks when it comes to engineering our cars knowing that we won't be for everyone".

But they don't. THey still give the impression that they want to compete with Lexus and the Germans.

Many of you are too young but do you remember their original tagline?

Precision Crafted Performance

As a matter of fact I think I still have a T-Shirt laying around with that from when I bought my first Acura (a 1993 Vigor).

Those three words said it all, but then they shoot themselves in the foot and introduce barely disuised Honda Civics as Acuras, or dumb down the AWD systems in the RDX to cater to the masses and they dilute the brand and send mixed messages.

See my previous comment. This is my point exactly. If Acura wants to be in the top-tier they are going to have to develop un-Honda-like cars.

That's OK if they don't or can't go there. Just stop trying to pretend like you are. Again, the dumbing down of the RDX, and barely disguised Civics are case-in-point.

I don't entirely agree with the comment that it has nothing to do with the understated styling. I do think if they would introduce a car that would turn some heads, at least they would get some attention and get people to give the car a chance. This RLX will only attract people who appreciate Honda for what they were. It will not bring new people to the brand, and that's what they are saying they want.

Listen, I have moved on. I don't own Acuras anymore, so why am I still here?

Because I drove Acuras for a LONG time. At one point I thought I would never leave the brand, and some day I hope to return. I really made my decision last year when the first pictures of the RLX came out. When the 2nd gen RL came out I fell in love with it. I had to have it.

No such emotion with the RLX and Cadillac got me to take a chance on them with the styling of the CTS coupe. See my point?

I'm just hoping Honda figures out what they want to be and sticks with it. Either be a brand that defines Precision Crafted Performance and be OK that it won't appeal to everyone, or make the leap and make a run to compete with the top tier, but this in-between stuff is killing the Acura brand. They have had a few recent sales successes with the MDX and TL (sales successes), but the TL has fallen out of favor due to their horrendous styling approach. as once a beautiful car and gave it that abortion of a beak. Yeah they've softened it a bit, but the damage was done.

I think in the end Acura has become a platform to introduce technology that will some day trickle down to the rest of the brand.

Maybe that's OK too.
On that note (regarding Honda of old) read this review of the new Accord Coupe with a V6 and a manual.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|p

FWD or not, it makes me want to go out and buy one!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
On that note (regarding Honda of old) read this review of the new Accord Coupe with a V6 and a manual.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|p

FWD or not, it makes me want to go out and buy one!
Heh heh - what they are saying about the Accord Coupe reminds me of my 2001 Prelude. I still take a second look with affection when one of those cars goes by. Still like stick shift and Honda manual transmissions.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
This thread is turning into quite the echo chamber.

I got the email from my dealer about setting up a test drive. I'll go in and take a look at the car and see how it compares to my 06 CMBS/PAX RL. If I like it, I'll wait for the AWD version in the fall. If not, I'll start looking for an A6.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Colin
^^ I'm certainly not as cynical as you are. I think that at some point we simply need to face facts. Acura (Honda) is not going to build a purpose built rear wheel drive chassis for this car. It simply doesn't fit in their business model. In some respects, Cadillac didn't even build the ATS chassis, isn't it borrowed from Opal? With a viable chassis in the corporate inventory, Cadillac was spared the expense of developing a low volume product From scratch.

Not having this luxury, and understanding how Honda works, it's easy to see why everything they've done revolves around an existing chassis. It's readily apparent that this car isn't going to be for everyone and I think Acura realizes that. It is my opinion that they are accepting of this and will take what ever sales they can get. I also believe that deep down they care more about the TLX then they do this vehicle. It simply makes more sense to focus on the American built TLX versus the Japan manufactured RLX. However, the RLX can serve as a technological showcase and "testbed" for other vehicles.
Also to answer your question specifically about the ATS platform. No it was not borrowed from Opel. It is an entirely new (Alpha) platform of which the ATS is the first model built on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Alpha_platform
Old 02-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
What were RL's prior to 2005? Boring looking FWD cars. Looks like their returning to their roots in 2013, if you ask me.

From Edmunds about a 2000 RL (Price I think was around $45K):

Pros

Quality construction, refined look and feel, value priced.

Cons

Competition offers rear-wheel drive and V8 power.
The following users liked this post:
GoHawks (02-17-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Glashub
What were RL's prior to 2005? Boring looking FWD cars. Looks like their returning to their roots in 2013, if you ask me.

From Edmunds about a 2000 RL (Price I think was around $45K):

Pros

Quality construction, refined look and feel, value priced.

Cons

Competition offers rear-wheel drive and V8 power.
majority of its competition is now 4cylinder and 6 cylinder. and priced well above it with comparable specification. and certainly less spacious and refinement.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
WOW Acura caved in to the rest, I liked not being locked out of nav while driving. Infiniti voice commands suck and they lock everything out once the car is rolling. Sorry to see Acura treat us like children.
The Accord, ILX and RDX are the same way. It is the wave of the future for Honda/Acura. Lexus does this as well but a few companies have marketed a bypass. I don't know if anyone has found a way around this on the Honda Nav.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by weather
^^^ As much as I like the look of the Genesis, if I am going to spend that kind of money, I want a brand name that is going to inspire luxury. I know Acura is not as good as Lexus and so on, but Acura still triggers more a "luxury" impression than a Hyundai. I am not trying to say that I am a brand snob but for me, it still means something. It is not everything because I am not prepared to spend 50K on a car that has poor reliability but when you combine a semi luxurious feel and great reliability, great handling and decent looks, that spells a winning combo for me. The reason why I love my 2012 TL so much. I am not going to lie though....I am worried about the 2014 TLX, in fact, I am very worried but time will tell. I am EAGER to see some spy pics and concepts because that will determine whether or not I stick with Acura or go Lexus GS or Infiniti Q50 (which at the moment, if I had to pick the one that gets me most interested, this is the one)
I'm in the same boat as you Weather, but my short list is IS, Q50, 3-series.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
The Accord, ILX and RDX are the same way. It is the wave of the future for Honda/Acura. Lexus does this as well but a few companies have marketed a bypass. I don't know if anyone has found a way around this on the Honda Nav.

My Cadillac has an interesting compromise. The disclaimer comes on once after 50 on/off cycles.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I'm in the same boat as you Weather, but my short list is IS, Q50, 3-series.
Hey Rocket_man....I could easily see myself going to the IS, especially when I get to see one in the flesh. The "F" edition that we saw pictures really got me excited eventhough many people say the styling is awckward...Its like "deja vu" with my TL *lol* I would love to get a 3 series but I am still scared of the gremlins which is why I'd prefer to stick with the Asian companies. I know its not as bad as before with BMW and Audi but I am still a bit nervous where there is no dealer network in the town I live....closest is about 2h away.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by JonFo
For some of us, that's a distinct advantage. I actually prefer the 'stealth wealth' an Acura has.

My neighborhood is crawling with those other three brands and a good dose of Caddys as well. But last I counted, there were about 5 or so >2005 RLs in our 2,500 or so households.
A good friend up the street has both an X5 and a 540 BMWs and love the 'status', but pay dearly for it at purchase and in maintenance (even if under warranty, they still waste time).
I agree with you. I like the "stealth wealth" idea. When I lived in Northern VA, there were many people leasing 5-Series or E Classes just to be ostentatious. I don't really need a German brand to bolster my self esteem, so I got an Acura RL in 2005 and never regretted it. Now that I live in Oakland, I sometimes feel that having a "high class" German brand might make me a bit of a target, so now I appreciate the "steal wealth" Acura for a new reason.

I test drove the RLX and I'm impressed. I'll wait to see what prices the cars will really sell for, though.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:17 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by weather
Hey Rocket_man....I could easily see myself going to the IS, especially when I get to see one in the flesh. The "F" edition that we saw pictures really got me excited eventhough many people say the styling is awckward...Its like "deja vu" with my TL *lol* I would love to get a 3 series but I am still scared of the gremlins which is why I'd prefer to stick with the Asian companies. I know its not as bad as before with BMW and Audi but I am still a bit nervous where there is no dealer network in the town I live....closest is about 2h away.
The great thing about my 6+ year old Acura is that it has never been in the shop for any repair. I've had maintenance, etc, but it has never spent the night at the dealer. My 2000 3-series spent the most nights of any car I've owned at the dealer. Actually more nights than all my other cars combined. but I hardly spent a dime due to their maintenance plan.

Oh, on my non-luxury short list is pretty much the Accord. It is my fall back car if the TLX, IS, Q50 etc falls through. Something to be said for reliable low cost transportation. But I really want more and I hope the RLX's features will be found on the TLX at a more reasonable price point.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I too am into the "Stealth Wealth" of Acura. Friday my wife and I went to look at cars. I looked at a Lexus GS and was going to check out an E-Class Benz but decided against it and went right to the Acura dealer. Why? Because I own a business in a small town and a Lexus, Benz, or BMW screams, "I am making money!" I prefer to keep how my business is doing to myself. People by nature are jealous. Anyway, I looked at the RLX. Very classy looking. Understated but good looking in my opinion. The interior was spacious and very nice. But here is where Acura screwed up, if the car had SH-AWD standard I would have put down an deposit right there. This car needed to have standard SH-AWD and make the SH-SH-AWD the halo car. FWD was not the answer and is hard to justify in a 50-60k car. So instead I have a deal on the table for TL SH-AWD Advanced that I will drive for a few years until the SH-SH-AWD comes out and is tested for a year or so. I really liked the RLX, Acura just screwed up in how the offered it.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ You will not be disapointed with the TL SH-AWD...I love mine!!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Also to answer your question specifically about the ATS platform. No it was not borrowed from Opel. It is an entirely new (Alpha) platform of which the ATS is the first model built on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Alpha_platform
Thanks for the clarification. I suppose that GM will find more ways to amortize this chassis than Honda could which gives them a bit of an advantage.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Colin
Thanks for the clarification. I suppose that GM will find more ways to amortize this chassis than Honda could which gives them a bit of an advantage.
I really don't know how much platform sharing they do with the Cadillac platforms.

The current version of the CTS and CTS-V are based on the Sigma II RWD platform (coupes, Sedan and wagon).

I am not aware of any other cars using it.

The Epsilon II platform, the platform that the Cadillac XTS is based on has birthed more models including:

Buick LaCrosse
Opel Insignia/Buick Regal
Saab 9-5 (now defunct)
Chevy Malibu
Chevy Impala

The XTS is considered a stopgap until Cadillac is develops a true flagship based on the Ciel concept.

See link for pictures.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...n-light-report

Here is info on the CTS.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-cts-spy-shots

Last edited by GoHawks; 02-21-2013 at 08:24 PM.