Next Generation Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 10:33 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Next Generation Vehicles

I can't wait for the new Honda ideas to trickle down to new generations of the ILX, TLX and RLX.

I just finished some time driving the Insight, Clarity and Accord Hybrid, and I believe we can look forward to a new generation of Sport Hybrid that is probably more responsive than the one we are using in our 2014 - 2018 cars.

In many ways, these cars seem to be better than my daily driver, at ½ the cost. Very responsive drivetrains. Very high mileage. Very nice infotainment systems that will default to Car Play. :-)

The only thing I wonder about is that the Clarity and Accord Hybrid seem to compete with each other, with the advantage (IMHO) going to the Accord.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (07-09-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Have you tried the accord touring with the 2.0 T.
I am looking forward to Acura improving the Sedans.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I agree that Acura may have to look to technology, be it advanced hybrid technology or fuel cell technology or all-electric technology in order to have the Acura brand steal some market share from the established luxury brands that are awash in "snob appeal". The limited production RLX/Legend/WLX or whatever the new flagship sedan is called, is the perfect platform to introduce the new tech and then monitor the public's response and make tweaks and changes before introducing the tech in the higher volume models.

As automobiles get "greener and greener", the manufacturer the can provide that environmentally friendly model line that ALSO puts smiles on peoples' faces with amazing performance AND sterling reliability can certainly own a big chunk of the luxury market.

I'm looking forward to what 2020 brings (or whenever Acura decides that their technology is ready).

Just my two cents.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:46 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by flagship
Have you tried the accord touring with the 2.0 T.
Yes. The 10 speed in the RDX seems to work a little better than it does in the Accord, but it's still great. That's my only question about it, that there should probably be a TSB to flash the programming to match how smooth it is in the RDX.

On the other hand...most drivers probably wouldn't even notice to complain. :-)
Old 07-10-2018, 09:20 PM
Instructor

One interesting observation for those of us waiting for the next RLX/Sedan is the 2018 Honda Accord forums show a lot of issues such as noises, rough transmissions, misaligned body panels while the 2019 RDX forums show few issues.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:32 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by flagship
One interesting observation for those of us waiting for the next RLX/Sedan is the 2018 Honda Accord forums show a lot of issues such as noises, rough transmissions, misaligned body panels while the 2019 RDX forums show few issues.
Hmmm. Aren't the Accord and RDX both Ohio cars?
Old 07-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
Hmmm. Aren't the Accord and RDX both Ohio cars?
Yes, Accord in Marysville, and RDX in nearby East Liberty (ie not same factory).
Old 07-18-2018, 08:16 AM
Grandpa

I think that at some point in the future (soon?) we are going to see a Sport Hybrid four motor system in which the two rear motors and front electric motor provide the primary propulsion.

The ICE will be a much smaller motor that serves the main purpose of charging the batteries.

With the current Sport Hybrid systems, the front electric motor only serves for forward momentum in extreme situations.

In the future, I think that the front electric motor will usually serve to provide forward momentum, and the gasoline powered motor will provide forward momentum only in extreme situations.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
The next Golf R is rumored to have Sport Hybrid style technology in it, in as soon as the end of 2019. It's being rumored that rather than having a traditional Haldex AWD system, the rear wheels will be powered by two electric motors.

Slowly but surely, the SH style technology will be appearing more and more in cars...
Old 07-24-2018, 07:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Yes, Accord in Marysville, and RDX in nearby East Liberty (ie not same factory).
Bob, does the amount of forum reported issues on the accord touring vs. few on RDX surprise you or would you somehow expect the Acura and / or factory to be way better.

What do do you think of the looks of each as the flagships: 2018 Accord Touring and 2019 RDX Advanced as we wait for the new Acura Sedan.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:39 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by TacoBello
The next Golf R is rumored to have Sport Hybrid style technology in it, in as soon as the end of 2019. It's being rumored that rather than having a traditional Haldex AWD system, the rear wheels will be powered by two electric motors.

Slowly but surely, the SH style technology will be appearing more and more in cars...
But IMHO, the longer term answer is for all four wheels to be powered by electric motors, with the ICE recharging the batteries and providing extra high performance power when called upon in extreme circumstances.

That's the only way we're going to get around the delay that RLX and MDX owners experience when we require *immediate* high performance.

When I've talked about this before, KC2 owners have said things that basically amount to, "Well...you get used to it." But the fact is, you cannot just mash the throttle in a Sport Hybrid and get instant performance. It's not just drive by wire...there are more problems than that. Because the ICE has to come online first, then realize it needs to be on the high cams, then realize it needs to switch ECM profiles, then realize that the transmission needs to be two gears down, there are times it can take as long as two seconds to get 100% performance out of a KC2.

That's what we're trying to eliminate in the next generation.
pgeorg (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 08:31 AM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
But IMHO, the longer term answer is for all four wheels to be powered by electric motors, with the ICE recharging the batteries and providing extra high performance power when called upon in extreme circumstances.

That's the only way we're going to get around the delay that RLX and MDX owners experience when we require *immediate* high performance.

When I've talked about this before, KC2 owners have said things that basically amount to, "Well...you get used to it." But the fact is, you cannot just mash the throttle in a Sport Hybrid and get instant performance. It's not just drive by wire...there are more problems than that. Because the ICE has to come online first, then realize it needs to be on the high cams, then realize it needs to switch ECM profiles, then realize that the transmission needs to be two gears down, there are times it can take as long as two seconds to get 100% performance out of a KC2.

That's what we're trying to eliminate in the next generation.

After 2 years, this is the main thing I dislike (a lot!). So, I vote for this fix!
George Knighton (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 11:21 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
And this is why the Sport mode button should really be more prominently displayed on the steering wheel (like the M button on the M5) to be quickly accessed without having to take your eyes off the road in time of urgent need.

I suspect this is why the Sport button has little bumps on the button itself (in an attempt to be found easier without looking), but it’s not good enough.
hondamore (07-25-2018)