Leaning toward getting 2015 TLX w/ SH-awd instead of 2014 RLX Hybrid w/ SH-awd

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 04:02 PM
RLX SH²-AWD

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Leaning toward getting 2015 TLX w/ SH-awd instead of 2014 RLX Hybrid w/ SH-awd

So, now that some specs about the production 2015 TLX have been released

I'm leaning toward getting the 2015 TLX w/ SH-awd with advance pkg.

over the 2014 RLX Hybrid w/ SH-awd with advance pkg.

I know I will be missing a few cool new features from the RLX.

But I have an itch for a new car and I can't wait any longer !!

First off, the RLX will be much more expensive.

the estimated MSRP for the 2014 RLX Hybrid with Advance pkg is gonna be around $70,000

The MSRP for the 2015 TLX SH-AWD with Advance pkg will probably be around $54,000

I really wanted a hybrid but what can you do.

It also looks like the 2015 TLX SH-awd (w/ advance) will be much more readily available than the 2014 RLX hybrid (w/ advance) because the TLX is built in the U.S. and because of the limited supply of hybrid batteries for the RLX.

Plus the RLX is built in Japan and Acura is only gonna release a very few RLX hybrid models every month, to keep the price up and limit the supply

There will only be a few cool features I will be missing from the RLX, such as:

the linear torque from the hybrid, the HUD (heads up display), rear power shade for rear windshield, and maybe the krell audio system, to name a few

But at least the TLX SH-AWD w/ advance will have front cooled (ventilated) seats. And the rear seats on the TLX fold down ! Hallelujah !!

Also I forgot the RLX will have heated rear seats which I don't think the TLX will have.

For other features, we will have to wait and see once more info is released,

such as, will the TLX SH-AWD w/ advance have: power folding side mirrors, auto-sensing front windshield wipers, capless gas fueling, valet mode, etc... ??
Old 04-18-2014, 04:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
all great questions, which put me in the same boat when it comes times to turn in my RLX Advance lease.

It's gonna be hard to give up that HUD though...I'm such a techy.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Honestly, the biggest problem with the RLX sport hybrid is that it's not here yet. I hate to say it, but the hybrid is starting to look like vaporware. I think others are going to make the same decision as the OP.

OTOH, I also think that it's more important to get the hybrid right than to get it out fast.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I agree with most of your points and the TLX SHAWD Advance has my attention now.

There will have to be a butt test because I favor the Japanese build of the RL over my former TL. But I have hope they have advanced the build quality in the TLX to meet what my 8 year old RL came off the assembly line.

I agree, rear sunshades, Krell and HUD are the primary hits for me too.

But there have been no pricings quoted on either car from official Honda sources. We have to stop perpetuating speculation as too many assume it is fact. (you know that commercial "If it is on the internet it must be true")

My hope and suspicion is the SH RLX will be a soft sell and even with boutique volume, we can get some pricing compromise. I cannot see the SH RLX selling $10K more than realized PAWS RLX Advance price point ($49K)

The TLX will be in demand, I am certain. And getting 1st or even 2nd year breaks on a loaded up TLX SHAWD Advance may not be enough to justify the feature mentions above.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:23 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Honestly, the biggest problem with the RLX sport hybrid is that it's not here yet. I hate to say it, but the hybrid is starting to look like vaporware. I think others are going to make the same decision as the OP.

OTOH, I also think that it's more important to get the hybrid right than to get it out fast.
I think it is too late now, but the SH SHAWD RLX should be a 2015 model. I wonder if the silence in Saitama is addressing issues or converting to 2015 RLX production? Seems to be a quandary.

At this point, Acura better feed something to us or credibility will tank. The "Yes we are here..." SH RLX commercial is about to become annoying.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
all great questions, which put me in the same boat when it comes times to turn in my RLX Advance lease.

It's gonna be hard to give up that HUD though...I'm such a techy.
Not to worry holografique, I'm sure the HUD will find its way onto the TLX options list. Probably by the MMC if not before.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
"I cannot see the SH RLX selling $10K more than realized PAWS RLX Advance price point ($49K)"

Really? So it will sell for less than MSRP of paws Advance?
I just don't see that, but if so they won't be in stock. Hope you are right
Old 04-18-2014, 06:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
vhdoshi must have read my mind as I was just beginning to entertain thoughts of foresaking the RLX hybrid and making the TLX SHAWD being my next vehicle. I'm going to wait until both are available up here in Canada and give both a good long viewing and test drive and then begin the negotiation process.
A big deal for me is the trunk space (I often need to haul two or three passengers and their golf clubs) and I'll need to have a good look at the space available in the Hybrid RLX's trunk. At least with the TLX's folding rear seat, I would be able to easily haul three people and three sets of clubs. The RLX does have more legroom etc and all the bells and whistles so I still consider it the frontrunner to be my next car. My two cents.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:11 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by getakey
"I cannot see the SH RLX selling $10K more than realized PAWS RLX Advance price point ($49K)"

Really? So it will sell for less than MSRP of paws Advance?
I just don't see that, but if so they won't be in stock. Hope you are right
I am not speaking of sticker. But if RLX Advance is selling at $49K I cannot see the marketplace tolerating a $10K+ markup, no matter how sophisticated SH is. They average hybrid premium is $3-5K and that is all the marketplace will consider. I also think Acura shot themselves in the foot with the entry level model. At realized market pricing in the $30k range, how could the market perception tolerate a hybrid at TWICE the cost?

We will get screwed, I fear, that they will build to order creating artificial demand and keep price elevated. But how many loyalists here will show their fannies to Acura if they push the sticker in the high $60ks (or higher)?

Rarely do auto manufacturers reduce sticker pricing significantly. But Acura overpriced the RLX for what the market perceives in the car. They will have to do some creative repackaging, and likely consolidating model diversity in order to up the ante to justify the current sticker price benchmarks. I would not be shocked to see that with the 2015 model run. It seems like they have already discontinued building the 2014 PAWS RLX.

Put simply: How can Acura release the SH RLX as a 2014 model alongside sister models with $10K discounts? A bad sales model indeed.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 04-18-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
But how many loyalists here will show their fannies to Acura if they push the sticker in the high $60ks (or higher)?
I will certainly be in that camp, and will be posing that question to the Acura rep next week at my "Passion Tour" RLX Hybrid drive.

For those of us in the same boat as the OP, when will the SH-AWD TLX realistically be ready for purchase? Acura says the end of this summer, but that probably means late 2014 or even early 2015, IMHO.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:03 PM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
I visited an Acura dealership today and the manager told me the following:
a. He is ordering 2015 RLX cars. All the 2014 RLXs are already here in the states.
b. They had a RLX hybrid last month for the sales team and few customers to drive. He said it is an awesome car.
c. RLX hybrid deliveries have been further pushed back. His guess was there was additional bodywork differentiation taking place. He also felt Honda was making moves to have it produced in the USA. His feeling was it would be this fall before they would receive their first RLX hybrid.
d. His dealership would likely only get four (4) RLX hybrid cars during model year 2015. They currently have deposits on two of those cars from long time customers.
The following users liked this post:
TampaRLX-SH (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by wstr75
I visited an Acura dealership today and the manager told me the following:
a. He is ordering 2015 RLX cars. All the 2014 RLXs are already here in the states.
b. They had a RLX hybrid last month for the sales team and few customers to drive. He said it is an awesome car.
c. RLX hybrid deliveries have been further pushed back. His guess was there was additional bodywork differentiation taking place. He also felt Honda was making moves to have it produced in the USA. His feeling was it would be this fall before they would receive their first RLX hybrid.
d. His dealership would likely only get four (4) RLX hybrid cars during model year 2015. They currently have deposits on two of those cars from long time customers.
I do not see how the SH RLX can be paused to a fall delivery and be labeled a 2014 model. Especially id the sister PAWS RLX is alongside as a 2015 model. This does affirm the quandary I speak of.

The SH RLX may indeed be getting some tweaks, and maybe MORE content to support the anticipated price differentiation. Perhaps a few things in the TLX Advance package?

And yes, it was announced awhile back that both the NSX and SH RLX will be US built (eventually). I expect there is some production shuffling / planning in the works which may also be impacting SH RLX builds in Saitama.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
maybe they are working to put IDS in the SH-Hybrid? That's one thing I really do like about the new TLX. And at the price of the RLX, it really should be in there.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:21 AM
Senior Moderator

I wish Acura would give some OFFICIAL info on what's going on. Some expectations beyond dealer rumors. Even a "hey, we're just cooking it a little longer given the experiences of our first year RLX owners" will go a long way.

Give us some hope, guys! Hook a forum up yo! Even a secret little buzz in the PM box to pass on.
CFoote (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 05:21 AM
Senior Moderator

I wish Acura would give some OFFICIAL info on what's going on. Some expectations beyond dealer rumors. Even a "hey, we're just cooking it a little longer given the experiences of our first year RLX owners" will go a long way. At least it would for me.

Give us some hope, guys! Hook a forum up yo! Even a secret little buzz in the PM box to pass on.

In the meantime, I'm on the hunt for a hybrid tester.....once I get back from my HPDE at Mid Ohio today. I'll let ya know how the ILX does on a track.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Angry Sigh

I too am growing weary waiting for the RLX hybrid - the least that they can do is keep us updated. I would be overjoyed if the delay was so they can make more cosmetic changes for a 2015 MMC (my hope all along).

I am currently toying with the idea of getting an ILX hybrid in the interim as there are still 2013s on the lots. They offered me $5k off which does not seem like a lot for a slow moving car from last year but Edmunds says it is.

Also toyed with the idea of getting a TLX SH-AWD but if that does not come out till the fall, that is no better than waiting for the RLX. My goal was to get rid of my TSX before 100k miles (at 96k now) ... decisions decisions.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:58 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Even a secret little buzz in the PM box to pass on.
...subtle
neuronbob (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 08:00 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by TSX69
[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkRed"]I too am growing weary waiting for the RLX hybrid - the least that they can do is keep us updated.
I registered for updates on the SH RLX on Acura.com when it first became available.

Updates received to date: 0
Old 04-19-2014, 08:16 AM
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 141 Posts
I am sure when introduced the RLX hybrid will be a 2015 model. And as had been said lets hope all of the bugs have been ironed out and that it truly will be an awesome flagship vehicle!!!
Old 04-19-2014, 08:41 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Remember when the 2014 RLX came out, it was March of 2013....Acura could get away with putting a 2015 model out NOW, but will they do it with the cannibalized sales of the 2014 RLX? My guess is they are holding out, trying to get rid of 2014 FWD cars before bringing the hybrid out. Stupid, but just my thought...
Old 04-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I think others are going to make the same decision as the OP.
I think so, too. There isn't even all that big a difference between the RLX Hybrid and the TLX when it comes to fuel economy.

It'll be interesting to see how close to the RLX Hybrid the TLX can come with performance.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Grandpa

Even a "hey, we're just cooking it a little longer given the experiences of our first year RLX owners" will go a long way.
One thing they seem to have done is altered the valve timing on the RLX Hybrid's version of the J Motor.

I believe that the test cars released to the public were disappointing enough in their acceleration times to make them try to get the 0-60 of the Hybrid down to 5.0s or even less.

Someone whom I know was able to get 5.7s out of the RLX Advance, but only 5.4s out of the RLX Hybrid, and I think figures like that were causing them to believe that there was not enough of an advantage to the high HP Hybrid to make people consider it over the regular RLX.

When you're getting 25 mpg out of the regular RLX, getting 30 mpg out of the Hybrid does not seem like a big deal unless you get quite a bit more performance out of it that you can brag about.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

...subtle
Ya, I know.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:18 AM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
I think many are forgetting how much of a niche car the Sport Hybrid will be with each dealership getting only 4-5 per year. Let's ASSUME that a major metro area has 3-4 Acura dealerships (probably a high number), that means 20 or less Sport Hybrids per year per metro area. Honestly, I love the idea of this car but feel that it's a trial run for the tech that will be in the NSX a year from now. I'd guess a $4-5k bump over current RLX MSRP prices but only time will tell how that equates to real world transaction prices.

Btw, did you know that Acura has a national lease special on the RLX Advance of 0 out of pocket and mid-$500s per month for 36 months? It's gotta be one of the best "values" out right now.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:11 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Back to the TLX - As is always the case, the closer it gets to production form, the more "bland" it gets. The basic shape is unchanged, but it is losing a lot of the prototype's styling licks and bling. In fact, it is looking more and more like the outgoing model, just with jewel eyes and different tail lights.

Even so, I think it will be a good car, and I could very well transition into one from the RLX in another year or two.

I don't share the interest some of you have in the RLX hybrid. It strikes me as too complex, and just waiting for something to go sideways. It's a technical tour-de-force, but all it will take is for one of those rear-wheel motors (or the computer program that drives it) to go a little wonky and you'll be dragging a tire. If it's the extra horsepower you crave, there are other ways to get there.

In the meantime, my RLX is a satisfying drive. Plenty of power for my needs, understated elegance, great interior appointments, and acceptable comfort.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:23 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
...understated elegance....
You know, it's funny.

For a car that everybody here hates, I sure get a lot of compliments on what the car looks like.
holografique (04-22-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
As is always the case, the closer it gets to production form, the more "bland" it gets. The basic shape is unchanged, but it is losing a lot of the prototype's styling licks and bling.
I agree. I am still hoping they bring some aspect of the concept's looks as a body kit, a "TLX-S" or -R or A-Spec or whatever, in a couple of years.

I happen to like the look of the RLX, and the idea behind the Sport Hybrid, though...but Acura is really making it hard to keep interested in it. It's been almost 18 months of waiting....and waiting....and waiting....I feel like my 7-year-old, who (only once, mind you! He's a smart cookie) asked the proverbial "are we there yet?".

Ideal would be the RLX's tech in the TLX concept's wrapper, but alas, life is never perfect.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

....I feel like my 7-year-old, who (only once, mind you! He's a smart cookie) asked the proverbial "are we there yet?".
Likely because once Junior voiced the question, Daddy stomped the throttle of the CTS-V resulting in Junior's sippy cup being lodged up his left nostril.

Yeah, that'll teach 'em right.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:56 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Likely because once Junior voiced the question, Daddy stomped the throttle of the CTS-V resulting in Junior's sippy cup being lodged up his left nostril.

Yeah, that'll teach 'em right.
Either that, or with the CTS-V, they're already there before Junior can even ask the question.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:04 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I would like to add 2 points to this discussion.
1. I believe that US production due to some of the workforce possibly not putting their heart and soul into each automobile on the production line like they do in Japan might lead to problems. Some American workers are clock watchers and Friday afternoon and Monday mornings may be a problem.
2. Once you drive an RL and then try a TL it is hard not to feel the difference in sophistication, ride quality and the extra room. I wonder if the same will apply to the RLX versus the TLX,
The following 2 users liked this post by 06RL/NBP:
Guitaryojedi (04-22-2014), hondamore (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 06RL/NBP
Once you drive an RL and then try a TL it is hard not to feel the difference in sophistication, ride quality and the extra room. I wonder if the same will apply to the RLX versus the TLX,
I agree. The RLX is built for luxury and comfort (ie. lots of room, smooth, quiet, comfortable ride) with a hint of sportiness whereas the primary design premise of the TLX is as a sports sedan (with the associated compromises in legroom and smoothness but with increased road feel and sportier handling).

I am getting more than a little antsy to drive both - ARRRRGGGHHH.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Saw this on an Infinity forum:

"I know the RLX doesn't compete directly with the Q50, but more with the Q70/M35h, but I thought it was interesting that another car manufacturer is implementing a performance hybrid into their line up like the Q50. The RLX has a 370hp V6 hybrid that averages 30mpg highway and city. I look forward to taking a look at the RLX hybrid when it comes out, and may consider it as long as they have farther distanced themselves from Honda."
Old 04-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by hondamore
I agree. The RLX is built for luxury and comfort (ie. lots of room, smooth, quiet, comfortable ride) with a hint of sportiness whereas the primary design premise of the TLX is as a sports sedan (with the associated compromises in legroom and smoothness but with increased road feel and sportier handling).

I am getting more than a little antsy to drive both - ARRRRGGGHHH.
Agreed. But there may be more refinement in the TLX that may make it on par with our 10 year old RL refinement level. The TLX may follow what the RDX and MDX did in progression to the refinement choice over the sporty coarseness. I see that trend in Acura. I may be dreaming, but perhaps in 10 years the US build quality may also have advanced and car models much less expensive are offering up interior materials now close to the RL. It is just a natural progression in the industry - along with progressive price increases.

So it will definitely need to be examined in person and a butt test to prove or disprove these speculations. But on paper (as most people shop) they look pretty darn close in offerings. I see more differentiation between the RLX and TLX than I did with the RL and TL. But at this point a TLX SHAWD Advance looks like a tempting replacement for my RL.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, we'll have to wait longer for the TLX, too. Acura announced that it's delayed until late summer.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-de...il-summer.html
Old 04-22-2014, 06:34 PM
Racer

That quote from the Infiniti guy is pretty funny, considering Nissan rebadged just about every Nissan they could find back in the day....think Pathfinder, Maxima anyone??
Old 04-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Racer

Well, we'll have to wait longer for the TLX, too. Acura announced that it's delayed until late summer.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-de...il-summer.html
Clearly there's some dark clouds overhead at Acura....very interesting.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Apparently the problem has to do with attaching the SH-AWD to the new AT.

Or so an Acura insider (so called) says. Look deep in this thread on TOV:

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...tem_id=1187254

I wonder what's up with the RLX? Couldn't be the same thing.

In any case, better to fix before release in either car.
hondamore (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 07:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't have a problem with Acura exercising an abundance of caution in making sure that everything in the fabrication line is ready for the highest quality of assembly, but I join Bob in the frustration at the lack of communication from Acura. If they want to make changes to the assembly line, fine, just announce that they are delaying the launch of the SHAWD RLX to ensure then highest quality of build possible.

I understand that they are scared to announce a delay because the public associates delays with problems, but unannounced/unconfirmed delays only magnify the rumors of problems. Hell, I wouldn't even mind if they announced that they won't release the SHAWD RLX until all the 2014 PAWS RLX's are sold out, or they are waiting to release the SHAWD RLX until the CEO's granddaughter's birthday. Whatever the reason, just throw a bone of information to the loyal masses that are waiting for the release. They don't even have to announce a release/delivery date, just give us something.

Sorry for the rant, but I found myself taking a detour to drive by a local Lexus dealership the other day and I still feel so dirty - I wash and wash and I just don't feel clean.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Angry Boo Hiss

The fact that China got a launch date of 8/2014 & the TLX got a delayed announcement, makes me wonder about the silence surrounding the RLX hybrid. Granted, they said spring so technically they have till 6/20 to get it out but some info would be appreciated.

Infiniti is looking better & better each time I look @ them. The Q50 hybrid sport AWD has a lot of things that I am looking for including chrome door handles & lack of wood option interior, but lacks ventilated seats. The Q70 checks off a lot boxes but you cannot get the hybrid & AWD together. They also have a Malbec Black that reminds me of my beloved Black Currant Pearl that I wish Acura would bring back.

Acura really cannot afford to lose potential RLX customers so they could at least give us some info. If we have to continue to wait, it would be nice to know how long so we can plan accordingly; it would also be nice to know why.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Old Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm leaning towards the rlx.

Quick Reply: Leaning toward getting 2015 TLX w/ SH-awd instead of 2014 RLX Hybrid w/ SH-awd