Jewel Headlight Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 04:24 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts
Jewel Headlight Replacements

Has anyone received a schedule for the repl. assemblies at their dealerships?
I figured since this is Jan and the dealerships were to be pushed their replacements some info should be out by now???

I hope were not waiting for the dealership to notify us...
The following users liked this post:
mgalbr22 (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 06:41 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by victorber
Has anyone received a schedule for the repl. assemblies at their dealerships?
I figured since this is Jan and the dealerships were to be pushed their replacements some info should be out by now???

The recall notice on the nhtsa website indicates that owners are to be notified in late January or by the end of the month.
It would be interesting to know whether the reported Delamination of the reflective aluminum results in a progressive or immediate loss of light output such that the headlamp fails to meet the DOT requirements for output and/or beam pattern light distribution and cutoff for glare.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:21 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mgalbr22
The recall notice on the nhtsa website indicates that owners are to be notified in late January or by the end of the month.
It would be interesting to know whether the reported Delamination of the reflective aluminum results in a progressive or immediate loss of light output such that the headlamp fails to meet the DOT requirements for output and/or beam pattern light distribution and cutoff for glare.
Thank you for sharing
Old 01-09-2015, 08:39 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Mine were replaced while my car was in for a TSB related to wind noise.

From overhearing some conversations, however, the headlights are still not arriving at most dealers and they expedited the delivery of my headlight kit because they knew the car was already going to be in their hands for something else.

It would be interesting to know whether the reported Delamination of the reflective aluminum results in a progressive or immediate loss of light output....
I'm not sure I know the answer to that, but it sounded to me from listening to somebody else that the problem was spotted on some headlights that have been burning constantly in a test environment since the middle of 2012.

It's a proactive recall. I don't think there's even a case of de-lamination in a roadgoing car, yet.

In my own car, I don't notice any difference with the new headlights. Both sets were very good.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:40 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by victorber
Everybody should have a letter by the end of February (I'm told) and the headlight kits should be generally available and in good supply by March.

It's not a recall that I'm regarding as urgent, although it is important, because it would take a long time for the light's reflective coating to go bad anyway.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
It's a proactive recall. I don't think there's even a case of de-lamination in a roadgoing car, yet.
There is at least one set reported on this forum from a used purchase off ebay. Post 25 of this thread....the pics show clearly the issue.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...p-sale-922863/

RLXLens_zps66391362.png Photo by ImagioX1 | Photobucket
mgalbr22 (01-10-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 01:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
The missing piece of information regarding the picture you mention is exactly what caused the delamination. For all we know an acetylene torch was used to burn the coating off in a test of it's durability or by a heat gun wielded by a Lexus troll looking to besmirch Acura's reputation. The picture could be of a test set of headlights that were left on high-beam max power for 10 years as part of a durability test. The simple fact is we have no idea and that makes it unwise to draw any firm conclusions from the pictures.

The many, many RLX owners on this forum, many of whom has been driving their RLX's for over a year and many, many miles, have not reported any issue at all suggesting the recall is more of a proactive action on Acura's part based on their long, long term durability testing and NOT based on any "on the road" reports.

There is a problem with the Jewel-eye lens coating that appeared in durability testing and Acura is dealing with it by replacing the part. No big story here.
victorber (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 01:15 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Wow. That is a lot of gymnastics, even a conspiracy theory.

I am a Honda and Acura loyalist, which is the root of my current frustrations with the brand. But there are some serious rose colored glasses in this forum lately.

I supposed the $70 million fine NHTSA just levied on Honda was just another conspiracy too? The largest civil penalty ever to be levied upon an automaker.

Casual acceptance of these issues IS NOT what make Honda and Acura the brand you are passively forgiving (even constructing excuses to do so).

Wow.
The following 4 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
cp3117 (01-10-2015), Fabvsix (01-09-2015), jwong77 (01-17-2015), mgalbr22 (01-10-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Whoa, easy TampaRL. I don't read that Hondamore was suggesting any conspiracy - only saying that the pictures don't prove anything without knowing how and why they were taken, and that we don't have any further information about the headlights except that no one on this forum has reported any actual RLX headlight problems of their own. That's all we know. What's happened with Acura on other fronts (delays, recalls, etc.) is not good, but that doesn't necessarily bear on the headlight issue. Just saying.
hondamore (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 02:40 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by hondamore
For all we know an acetylene torch was used to burn the coating off in a test of it's durability or by a heat gun wielded by a Lexus troll looking to besmirch Acura's reputation.
....is not a conspiracy theory? That seems like an exaggerated attempt to negate a quality issue.

Personally I have no issue with this defect. It is new technology and a component newly sourced. So be it. It will be resolved. But these kool aid rally's to defend the brand that has ADMITTED to quality issues with this car as well as for Honda CEOs meeting to express displeasure with quality slippage must be the pill the kool aid drinkers must be trying to swallow.

I just notice a repetitive attempt by several forum users to defend, make excuses for and use 'insider' references to negate quality dings as irresponsible. I prefer to follow the facts. We all have opinions, but to make exaggerated references with no cited facts is a disservice to all. And I choose to hold the bar higher for a brand that is getting sloppy upholding standards they have earned from past practices.
The following 4 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
cp3117 (01-10-2015), jwong77 (01-17-2015), mgalbr22 (01-10-2015), victorber (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
No conspiracy theory is being promoted, just exaggerating to make the point that we really don't know anything about the picture and thus we shouldn't crucify Acura based on it's existence.

Acura took a chance and went outside the box with the Jewel-eye headlight design and they got bit in the butt by a supplier issue. They are paying the price. That said, I still respect the fact that they are pushing the boundaries and not just taking the safe route of producing the same old, same old.

Acura isn't perfect, but the sky isn't falling either. The early adopter issues with the Sport Hybrid RLX have been minor in my eye and MUCH less serious than early-model issues for many/most other technology-packed luxury cars. I have accepted that the RLX's role in the Honda revenue generating scheme is VERY minor and so it is NOT going to get the full weight of Honda's engineering power and minor issues and delays will happen BUT when I do own an RLX Sport Hybrid, I'll get a rare gem.

I share your frustration TampaRL - I've been waiting for a new car for a long time and I've been as pissed off as you about the Sport Hybrid delays - I've just accepted that the low-volume nature of the RLX means that frustration is going to be part of the buying process.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Oooookay, back to the topic at hand.

I called my dealer earlier today for the headlight recall and splash guard install....and they indicate they've done a couple of RLXs, then the pieces went on back order again. It's three weeks until my appointment (my schedule is the issue, not theirs ) and maybe they'll be off back order by then.

I've not seen any reports on this site of delamination so far. I personally think this recall was just preventive more than anything else. I don't mind as long as it's made right.
victorber (01-09-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 06:20 AM
Instructor

Recall

Originally Posted by TampaRL
....is not a conspiracy theory? That seems like an exaggerated attempt to negate a quality issue.

Personally I have no issue with this defect. It is new technology and a component newly sourced. So be it. It will be resolved. But these kool aid rally's to defend the brand that has ADMITTED to quality issues with this car as well as for Honda CEOs meeting to express displeasure with quality slippage must be the pill the kool aid drinkers must be trying to swallow.

I just notice a repetitive attempt by several forum users to defend, make excuses for and use 'insider' references to negate quality dings as irresponsible. I prefer to follow the facts. We all have opinions, but to make exaggerated references with no cited facts is a disservice to all. And I choose to hold the bar higher for a brand that is getting sloppy upholding standards they have earned from past practices.
I have to agree with your assessment of the seemingly blind-or certainly myopic-brand lotalty of some posters. I confess to having been a clear-eyed but enthusiastic Honda/Acura loyalist, having owned close to 10 prior to the RLX, but the defects with this car and, far more importantly, the way that Acura has handled these defects has completely undermined my loyalty.
Unless their prior record of excellence was an accident-which I seriously doubt-i can only conclude that their commitment to zero defects and being the leading automotive brand has eroded seriously. Honest and fair criticism of owners on websites like this one can be extremely helpful to a manufacturer if they strive to correct specific problems and rebuild customer loyalty.
As I have mentioned previously, I find it unprofessional and disingenuous that manufacturers (not just Acura) are allowed to make recalls without being required to state the true root cause of the defect/failure. This headlamp recall is no different. Delamination is the failure mode, not the root cause. The average consumer may not or should not care about this difference, but the difference is critical to understanding what went awry in the design and/or mfg process and what the corrective action is, which is also not required to be stated by NHTSA.
It would be refreshing to see a mfr go "open kimono" with their problem solving documentation of these defects that lead to recalls and tsbs. Transparency would gain them credibility and respect among consumers, regulators and other manufacturers.
Similarly, making excuses, apologies or minimizing these issues all have the exact opposite effect and foster a culture of demanding less than zero defects and seeking total customer loyalty.
By the way, studies have shown over and over that consumers who have a problem that is corrected in a professional and timely manner are significantly more loyal to the brand than those who have never had a problem.

Last edited by mgalbr22; 01-10-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:44 AM
Senior Moderator

My only comment is that Honda seems to have become Old GM. I sincerely hope this phase of their existence is almost over--it's been nearly ten years now of product snafus and now, the recalls. What happened to Honda is what happened to all companies who lose their visionary leader--they become lost. Just look at Apple and their software glitches, The Steve would never have allowed this crap. Nor would Honda-san. At least Honda itself is on its way to being fixed, now they need to either throw some more assets at Acura or cut bait on it. This year will be telling for Acura. Apologies, dear readers, for continuing the threadjack. I advise continuing the discussion here: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-tal...-acura-922479/

Where you will find many likeminded people posting.

Last edited by neuronbob; 01-10-2015 at 06:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
mgalbr22 (01-11-2015), victorber (01-17-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
sorry to post one more on the hijacked topic....but couldnt agree more on the comments. Nothing irks me more when you are posting honest and factual criticism (for the sake of helping provide useful information for the better of creating improvements) and you get the ol dismissive "people just have different expectations" attitude or the ol "whining" BS.

I've got 30k+ miles of stick time behind my RLX now. I think I am more than damn qualified to speak to real pros and cons behind the RLX that arent just conjecture, opinion, or perspective, but are real conditions behind the quality of the product.

Success doesnt come from sticking your head in the sand. It comes from repeated failures, recognizing those failures and fixing them to move to the next step.

All that said (and to bring this thread back on topic), I agree they are being proactive with the headlamps, and that's the best thing you can do when you find a mistake. My main service guy called me yesterday to give me the heads up that he was putting me in queue and placing the order for my replacement. Said should be a couple weeks.
The following 3 users liked this post by holografique:
mgalbr22 (01-11-2015), neuronbob (01-10-2015), victorber (01-17-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 09:20 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by TampaRL
I just notice a repetitive attempt by several forum users to defend, make excuses for and use 'insider' references to negate quality dings as irresponsible.
I have to agree with your assessment of the seemingly blind-or certainly myopic-brand lotalty of some posters.
I think I understand where you're coming from, and I am sorry if I contributed to what you're experiencing.

I don't know why they gave us the RLX. When I bought my RLX Advance (P-AWS), I really went in there to arrange to buy their Sport Hybrid when they got it. The sales manager latched onto me, and he and the general manager double teamed me with a great price for the car that got me to thinking that it was a very good buy for a car that had this much content.

I suppose that if you want to compare an RLX Advance to an E350 then perhaps the technology isn't cutting edge. It offers up to date technology and features, in a very well put together car, with the unique technological feature being P-AWS.

Just coming off of three days in a TLX, I'll say again that P-AWS works. You'll have to decide as a unique purchaser whether this unique technology is good, or not. It *does* make an FF car handle flatter and better than you might expect, but maybe that's not good enough for a particular buyer.

As far as the Sport Hybrid goes, it has everything the KC1 has with the addition of being quieter, having a lot more power and getting better fuel economy. Discounted KC1 Advance v. discounted KC2 Advance, it's about a $10,000 difference (52K to 62K, wild estimate). At MSRP v. MSRP, the KC2 looks like a great buy. Real world discount to real world discount, is it a good buy?

I don't know. Subjective. I like it.

I find the power train to be unique and marvelous, and perhaps we want people to focus on this excellent drivetrain we're enjoying, and not talk so much about delaminating headlights or door trim that comes loose and causes wind noise. :-)

Three of the nine KC2 owners here have been interviewed by a team of Acura and American Honda employees. So perhaps we make the mistake of acting too much like insiders and acting like we know things and have an idea of where the brand thinks it is going, and why it exists.

To the extent that we might have spoken as if we were discounting honest concerns, I am sorry about that.

Last edited by George Knighton; 01-10-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

George - I've seen you reference "KC1 / KC2" in past posts. Can you shed some detail on what this abbreviation or designation means? thx!
Old 01-10-2015, 07:49 PM
Senior Moderator

KC1=PAWS RLX
KC2=Sport Hybrid RLX.

Refers to model designation in your VIN.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

got it - thx bob
victorber (01-17-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 08:40 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Dealer called yesterday to say that my replacement headlights are in. I didn't ask. Good proactive service.
holografique (01-16-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 04:37 PM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
My lights and seat belts were replaced today. The service manager showed me the bill for that work. It was $5500. Did not cost me a cent. I am guessing the dealer has to show the lights as being purchased (Honda invoices dealer) and then the dealer subsequently charges via its invoice to Honda for the lights, the labor and the material disposal charges when the TSB work has been completed.

This underscores some folks view on how RL/RLX series is Honda's limited production field platform for trying out new technology subsequently introduced to the masses.
mgalbr22 (01-17-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 09:10 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by wstr75

This underscores some folks view on how RL/RLX series is Honda's limited production field platform for trying out new technology subsequently introduced to the masses.
This is plain wrong.

Wrong for ruining the "top notch reliability" that is made famous of the premium Acura brand, especially on the flagship model that represents the auto brand most, and thus should have been perfect and trouble-free.

Wrong for abusing the trust of all those exclusive Acura owners, who have spent upwards of $50K hard earn money to proudly support the auto brand, by using them as beta testers to try out new auto technologies.

If this is truly Acura's intention, then the brand deserves nothing but failure.
mgalbr22 (01-17-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 09:33 PM
Racer

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. In my eyes as long as they step forward and correct the problems, I am ok with Honda's strategy. They sell zillions of Accords that utilize technology first utilized a few years earlier on the RL. From my perspective this is good business strategy. Methinks they have concluded the RLX serves as a price anchoring point to the rest of the Acura line and also as a limited volume field evaluation platform.

I also agree with Colin and several other folks on this forum regarding slimming the RLX line down to RLX-PAWS Advance and RLX-SHAWD Hybrid Advance. Price the PAWS Advance $58K and the Hybrid AWD Advance at $63K and let the good times roll. Bring out again the beautiful silver of the 2002 RL (I owned one and loved its all so slight hint of blue), a slightly lighter version of the present Dark Gray (my present dark gray RLX shows dirt/dust far worse than my 2006 dark gray RL), a creamy diamond white and maybe a chocolate brown interior option for those folks wanting to be different.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:07 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by R. White
Dealer called yesterday to say that my replacement headlights are in. I didn't ask. Good proactive service.
Without your asking?

Nice.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:12 AM
Instructor

Has anyone received a written recall notice?
Old 01-17-2015, 07:03 AM
Racer

1. Same as R. White. Dealer called and emailed saying two TSB items were to be done (lights and seat belts). They were proactive in following up to make service appointment.
2. No written notice from Honda
Old 01-17-2015, 08:38 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by wstr75
I also agree with Colin and several other folks on this forum regarding slimming the RLX line down to RLX-PAWS Advance and RLX-SHAWD Hybrid Advance. Price the PAWS Advance $58K and the [Sport Hybrid] Advance at $63K and let the good times roll.
At 63,000 for the Sport Hybrid Advance, they're within a few hundred of the holdback.

At 58,000 for the P-AWS Advance, they're still maybe 5,000 away from the holdback.

But...to get those prices they're going to have to build the cars somewhere other than Saiyama.

And it sounds like Ohio, Indiana and Alabama have their hands full with everything else going on.

I still haven't figured out why Ohio was reconfigured for a Civic-type car. Are they building the new ILX there, or does it have more to do with the upcoming changes to the (newly turbocharged) Civic line for next year?

If they're building the ILX in Ohio, are the Civics going to be from Indiana?

Bring out again the beautiful silver of the 2002 RL (I owned one and loved its all so slight hint of blue), a slightly lighter version of the present Dark Gray (my present dark gray RLX shows dirt/dust far worse than my 2006 dark gray RL), a creamy diamond white and maybe a chocolate brown interior option for those folks wanting to be different.
Definitely agree with you that the "Graphite" is too close to black.

The pearly white of "Bellanova" might be close to the white you're describing, and being able to put a high quality "Expresso" interior into it instead of "Seacoast" might make it more attractive to some people.

I've got used to my Bellanova/Seacoast car now, but I was horrified when I gathered it was the only color combination of Sport Hybrid that I'd be able to buy. It would not have been my first choice.
wstr75 (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 08:41 AM
Grandpa

Has anyone received a written recall notice?
I did not, and probably will not, since it was already handled when I tried to get the wind noise problem solved.

The dealer was good to expedite things, since it takes me 60-90 minutes to get to them. :-)

Somewhere, I read a while back that the letters were going out in February.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:52 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Be thankful Honda is being proactive in resolving the issue - as frustrating as it is - and that they aren't turning their backs and saying "Oh, it's really not a big deal, very few people will have the issue".

These headlights are pretty darn complicated - LEDs are very new tech, and its not surprising that the OEM made a mistake. I'm not sure what testing the OEM did for the lights, but lesson learned. It's the OEMs expensive mistake.

I'm anxiously awaiting the 2016 MY in hopes we will see a livened-up RLX. I really don't want to keep this BMW X6 a long time
The following 2 users liked this post by CFoote:
mgalbr22 (01-18-2015), victorber (02-01-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 04:55 AM
Instructor

New tech

Originally Posted by CFoote
Be thankful Honda is being proactive in resolving the issue - as frustrating as it is - and that they aren't turning their backs and saying "Oh, it's really not a big deal, very few people will have the issue".

These headlights are pretty darn complicated - LEDs are very new tech, and its not surprising that the OEM made a mistake. I'm not sure what testing the OEM did for the lights, but lesson learned. It's the OEMs expensive mistake.

I'm anxiously awaiting the 2016 MY in hopes we will see a livened-up RLX. I really don't want to keep this BMW X6 a long time
Led headlamps may be new tech, but vacuum deposition of the reflective aluminum coating on the reflector is not. It has been done for decades. Something went awry in this process or material. We don't know what because acura hasn't indictaed what the root cause of the failure/defect is.
Dot nhtsa requires extensive testing of headlamps as a safety device.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:33 AM
Senior Moderator

No written notice for me, either, but I proactively made an appointment for it to be done next weekend. I'm still on the fence about the wind noise TSB. I may just get it over with so the guy who buys my car (whether or not it's me) after my lease is up has peace of mind it was done.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:03 AM
Racer

As someone said earlier in another thread, the quieter they make these cars, the more attuned we become to hearing sounds. Kind of a management by exception process for our minds (and ears). Since this is an area of diminishing returns (all the easy stuff has already been done), my guess is auto designers will further utilize sound attenuation and intentional noise frequency output to put our 100,000 year old design brains at ease. I do it with the radio and also by putting my mind on some other issue I am wrestling. To paraphrase Dean Wormer, "Going through life focused on minutia issues like sounds you only hear when trying to consciously mediate in a soundless environment at 70 mph is no way to go through life, son". Bump up the radio or iPod volume and start living . . . . . . .

Original Dean Wormer quote:
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. "

Last edited by wstr75; 01-18-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:14 AM
Racer

My bad for putting a noise comment on a TSB light replacement thread. Am sorry. Maybe my 100,000 year old brain design is slipping . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 01-31-2015, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

My car's at the dealer now for the Jewel Eye recall.

They've got me in a 2014 (I think) MDX base SH-AWD loaner. First thing I noticed is the lack of a HUD. I am SO spoiled by HUD. I put the mechanical SH-AWD through its paces on the way home....it is not a bad handler for a 4500 pound SUV. And it reminds me naturally of my old RL. can't wait to see it with eSH-AWD.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:12 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
I got a call yesterday from my dealer that they had the headlights and were ready to go, though I won't get in for a week or so. Still no official notice from the company.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:08 PM
RLX Hybrid #053

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
they delayed delivery one day to install my new lights. they also installed an insulating blanket underneath i guess for the big battery. i think they only do that for Canadian cars.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Got my car back this afternoon. Lights look and work the same as before, as expected. The only impediment I had to their function in the first place was salt on the headlights.

On another note, I've had two people today tell me how gorgeous the car is. Completely unexpected.
victorber (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Got my car back this afternoon. Lights look and work the same as before, as expected. The only impediment I had to their function in the first place was salt on the headlights.

On another note, I've had two people today tell me how gorgeous the car is. Completely unexpected.

I found out that my headlight recall was done the day I picked up my car new. One less thing.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:33 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Well, nothing's been said to me about replacements. And I had my car in last week for oil change and tire rotation.

Guess I should have brought it up.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my car in for some warranty work last week and they replaced both headlights! Cant tell much difference, but they look good!

Loren
2014 Black RLX

Quick Reply: Jewel Headlight Replacements