AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RLX (2013+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/)
-   -   Issues with 2016 RLX Sport Hybrid (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/issues-2016-rlx-sport-hybrid-980009/)

Layton1 06-04-2019 12:49 PM

Issues with 2016 RLX Sport Hybrid

Hi all,

I've had my RLX Hybrid for about 2 and a half years now (34.5k miles) and driving the vehicle has been wonderful except for a few issues that the dealership has been unable to fix. The first is the LKAS system. I had a '14 MDX with LKAS and drove a '19 TLX and they both have a better LKAS system then the one in the RLX. Does anyone know why this is? It's almost like the corrective force is too weak.

Second issue - About once a week I see a message when I start the car saying that the navigation system has lost power, etc. The dealership has made many attempts to fix the issue - tightened all battery connections, replaced the battery, performed a software update, even replaced the ENTIRE navi unit yet the issue still persists. Has anyone seen this before?

Third issue (and probably the most concerning of all) - about 25% of the time, the car makes a "grrrrrr" wooshing/grinding noise when coming out of any turn at normal speeds. This issue, of course, was not present when I bought the car brand new and the issue seems to be getting worse over time. The dealer has made several attempts to fix the issue, but they have never been able to fix it. Any ideas as to what this could be?

Other issues that have been fixed (just documenting here for future buyers/interested parties etc):
- Electric parking brake (EPB) unable to actuate due to low battery voltage (fixed by dealer, battery was replaced)
- Rattle from center channel speaker (fixed by dealer, just needed to be tightened up and insulated with some foam)
- Squeaky EPB (fixed by dealer, went away but is coming back now)
- Misaligned fuel neck (fixed by dealer, basically the capless fuel neck came dislodged somehow and it was difficult to fuel up the vehicle because I had to manually push the neck up and then insert the fuel nozzle... At least it's fixed now! :) ).

The "grrrrr" noise is honestly the main concern of mine here, so any advice or help would be appreciated here. Thanks all!

mk5 06-04-2019 04:06 PM

YES! I have the same issue in my 2014. I am so glad (and sorry) to hear you hear the same thing - not just me. I have been to the dealer multiple times (more than 3) on different maintenance interval trips to diagnose the issue. I have had a couple of tech ridealongs where the techs have heard the issue. The techs have been on the phone with TechLine. The best answer I have been given is "noisy actuators." There does not appear to be anything explicitly wrong.

Something I have noticed is that, like you, the noise happens when coming out of turns, especially left turns, but also under normal acceleration. I have also noticed that when the sound occurs, 8.5 times out of 10 when I let up on the accelerator, the ICE shuts off. I just started the accelerator experiment recently.

That leads me to believe that the mechanism that turns the ICE on and shuts the ICE off/into E-mode only has a component in it that intermittently creates this grinding/whooshing noise. It's almost like a signal that the car is telling you it wants to go to Electric-only mode but is in a purgatory state because of the amount of power you are giving it.

Try taking your foot off the accelerator next time you hear the noise and see if your ICE shuts off. If so, that may be what is happening.

Honestly, I don't know if that's a defect or serviceable issue or not...

Layton1 06-04-2019 04:24 PM

Oh man, I too am glad and sorry at the same time to find someone with the same issue. How long have you noticed this issue? Has the sound and frequency been getting worse as time progresses?

And yes, I too have noticed that this happens primarily when coming out of left turns at normal speeds. I'll try to pay a little more attention to the ICE engine's status and see if that makes a difference. I vaguely remember that it does, but I will test out further to see if I can come up with a set of conditions to reproduce this noise consistently. I think the noise is gone completely when in Sport Mode, so I'll try your suggestion out and will report back.

Thanks!

George Knighton 06-05-2019 09:26 AM

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B13-026.PDF

There are a few technical service bulletins related to weird noises on both the KC1 and KC2.

Both cars have some unusual technology and they just make weird noises. Some of the noises are a "problem," like the HVAC noise that caused a TSB asking dealers to be generous about replacing a redesigned metal pipe that was producing an unusual harmonic.

Sometimes when I'm sitting still and the ICE is off, my car just goes "moannnn" for about 1.5 seconds. :shrug: Doesn't bug me. Sometimes a passenger will ask me what that was.

mk5 07-29-2019 11:36 AM

I have an important update to this thread.

Over the last few weeks, I had been experiencing rough shifts, most noticeably in the 2-3 gears (under 40 mph). Additionally, the "noise" complained about by me and Layton1 was getting more frequent and pronounced. I took the car in to my dealer and told them about the hard shifts and said nothing about the whirring/buzzing noise when turning (as we've previously had it examined ad nauseam).

They determined that the ATF fluid had deteriorated prematurely and the transmission needed a software update. They cycled 3 rounds of transmission fluid and updated the software.

I picked up the car last Friday and it has been a NIGHT AND DAY difference. The transmission is back to smooth and I have heard ZERO of the whirring/buzzing noises previously discussed in this thread.

So, it would appear that the noise is NOT "noisy actuators" at all, but rather a transmission issue, likely tied to the premature deterioration of the transmission fluid.

This noise issue had been an ongoing 1+ year issue with me and my Dealer and Acura's TechLine. I am going to give it a few weeks to see what happens, but if all is clear, I will contact my dealer
and let them know that the issue appears to be resolved and to update Acura that this appears to be the solution.

If anyone else experiences these noise symptoms, I highly recommend going to the dealer and getting the software updated/trans fluid change and see if it remedies your issue, as well.

losiglow 07-29-2019 12:51 PM

Good to hear the problem was solved. Shocker though. Transmission fluid was the culprit :rolleyes:. It always is. The RLX SH is a different animal so I thought maybe it could be something else but finding out it was the ATF was no major surprise.

Good news actually. I'm considering a sport-hybrid and finding everything I can about possible problems. Glad to hear this was a simple case of old ATF.

I'm a little over the top but I recommend changing the fluid every 15K miles or so. I do with my 4G TL and it runs like a top after 209K miles. Transmission works as well as it did the day I bought it. Better actually, since the fluid in there was the original at 58K miles.

Limelight 07-30-2019 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by mk5 (Post 16459991)
I have an important update to this thread.

Over the last few weeks, I had been experiencing rough shifts, most noticeably in the 2-3 gears (under 40 mph). Additionally, the "noise" complained about by me and Layton1 was getting more frequent and pronounced. I took the car in to my dealer and told them about the hard shifts and said nothing about the whirring/buzzing noise when turning (as we've previously had it examined ad nauseam).

They determined that the ATF fluid had deteriorated prematurely and the transmission needed a software update. They cycled 3 rounds of transmission fluid and updated the software.

I picked up the car last Friday and it has been a NIGHT AND DAY difference. The transmission is back to smooth and I have heard ZERO of the whirring/buzzing noises previously discussed in this thread.

Just curious if your vehicle is still under warranty and whether or not this fluid change and software update was covered under warranty. I can't imagine that would be an expensive repair regardless and maybe something people should consider doing regardless if they are exhibiting those symptoms or not. Do you have any details on your work order of the specific software update?

I wouldn't say I have hard shifts and I certainly don't have any noises, but I don't feel that my car pulls as hard as it did when I first got it (I have a 2015 SH with roughly 37K miles). Maybe I'm just used to it more now and it's all in my head, but perhaps this service is in order....

RLX-Sport Hybrid 07-30-2019 07:58 AM

Mine is just as quick now as day one. I just passed 91,000. Still lots of fun.

mk5 07-30-2019 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Limelight (Post 16460313)
Just curious if your vehicle is still under warranty and whether or not this fluid change and software update was covered under warranty. I can't imagine that would be an expensive repair regardless and maybe something people should consider doing regardless if they are exhibiting those symptoms or not. Do you have any details on your work order of the specific software update?

I wouldn't say I have hard shifts and I certainly don't have any noises, but I don't feel that my car pulls as hard as it did when I first got it (I have a 2015 SH with roughly 37K miles). Maybe I'm just used to it more now and it's all in my head, but perhaps this service is in order....

The service was completely covered under the Power Train Warranty. I paid $0.00. The invoice is in my car -- I'll snag it and upload when I have time.

mk5 08-04-2019 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by mk5 (Post 16460412)
The service was completely covered under the Power Train Warranty. I paid $0.00. The invoice is in my car -- I'll snag it and upload when I have time.

Here is the invoice
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...1883167e1.jpeg

Limelight 08-04-2019 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by mk5 (Post 16462328)

Thanks so much for this! Glad it helped fix your issues too.

mk5 08-13-2019 12:19 PM

Quick update. Going on 3 weeks and no issues. Noise is GONE. I think we've got a fix.

I am going to contact the dealer to relay the good findings--as of now--and also to set up a transmission inspection to make sure whatever was making the noise due to the faulty ATF and pre-software update did not damage any transmission parts or prematurely wear them out.

scottb4u 08-16-2019 07:43 PM

I too am having this issue. My local dealer (Bridgewater Acura, NJ) did a "idle relearn update". They did not change the fluid and wanted $216 for that. It seems smoother but the TSB says that the "bucking" is due to premature fluid wear. And it is still covered by the Drivetrain warrantee!
BTW--the dealer has what it calls an "A" service where fluids are topped up, things are lubed, oil and filter changed and tires rotated for $99. When I picked it up the tires were NOT rotated. I know because only one wheel has a scuff mark! Bastards!

mqs1 08-21-2019 09:01 AM

Gentlemen, i too was having the buzzing issue and the transmission surging / bucking issue..... and they were progressively getting worse. My beloved RLX was no longer a joy to drive but getting to be a drag and I found myself driving it less and less.

After a "I dunno" last year from the Service Dept, I had them do the TSB, which was so successful for mk5, and lo and behold now my BABY IS BACK!! :hug:

All the reasons I so loved the car when I first got it came flooding back. Took the loooong way home from the dealership with a big big smile on my face. I am soooo happy!

Wanted to say thank you to mk5 (and or course all the other members of this great forum) for detailing his successful service and also the poster who so diligently posts up all TSBs (including this one back in Jan when it was issued).

Planning a trip to Steamboat Springs next week to celebrate. Cheers!

scottb4u 08-21-2019 08:44 PM

Called and spoke to Service Manager and expressed my complete dissatisfaction. Am scheduled for TSB 19-004 service on Friday...Will report back!

K.Rock 08-22-2019 05:52 AM

I took my car in and gave concerns. The tech took it on a drive and didn’t notice any issue. TSB wasn’t performed. Mine is a 2016 with 37,000 miles. I’m thinking of taking it to a different dealer.

mk5 08-22-2019 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by mqs1 (Post 16469224)
Gentlemen, i too was having the buzzing issue and the transmission surging / bucking issue..... and they were progressively getting worse. My beloved RLX was no longer a joy to drive but getting to be a drag and I found myself driving it less and less.

After a "I dunno" last year from the Service Dept, I had them do the TSB, which was so successful for mk5, and lo and behold now my BABY IS BACK!! :hug:

All the reasons I so loved the car when I first got it came flooding back. Took the loooong way home from the dealership with a big big smile on my face. I am soooo happy!

Wanted to say thank you to mk5 (and or course all the other members of this great forum) for detailing his successful service and also the poster who so diligently posts up all TSBs (including this one back in Jan when it was issued).

Planning a trip to Steamboat Springs next week to celebrate. Cheers!

Fantastic! Glad to hear your issue got resolved, too.

mk5 08-22-2019 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by K.Rock (Post 16469661)
I took my car in and gave concerns. The tech took it on a drive and didn’t notice any issue. TSB wasn’t performed. Mine is a 2016 with 37,000 miles. I’m thinking of taking it to a different dealer.

I can give some advice, as I have been right in this spot with this issue.

1. Set up a time to have a tech ride along with you while you drive the car. When you hear the noise or feel the rough shifts, point it out and make sure they hear/feel it, too. Don't be afraid to be out with them for 5-10 minutes or until the issues happen. These techs are in the car 5 minutes; you are in it considerably more and know the car better.

I was afraid the noises and issues wouldn't arise on the ride alongs I did (I did two separate ride alongs w/ Acura techs), but they DID happen after a while and the techs did acknowledge they heard/felt the issue, but didn't know what it was.

2. Once you have the evidence, straight up tell them that other owners who have experienced this same issue have had the TSB done (ATF changed and transmission software updated) under the powertrain warranty (yours appears to be still covered by factory warranty, too), which appears to have resolved the issues.

I hope that helps. My dealer had no idea what was going on for over a year and I was living with it until this last service when the rough shifts were more frequent.

I'm still a little confused on how Acura Certified Mechanics could miss such a seemingly easy diagnosis, or at least not have it as an item to look at on a checklist for the complaint.

K.Rock 08-22-2019 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by mk5 (Post 16469785)
I can give some advice, as I have been right in this spot with this issue.

1. Set up a time to have a tech ride along with you while you drive the car. When you hear the noise or feel the rough shifts, point it out and make sure they hear/feel it, too. Don't be afraid to be out with them for 5-10 minutes or until the issues happen. These techs are in the car 5 minutes; you are in it considerably more and know the car better.

I was afraid the noises and issues wouldn't arise on the ride alongs I did (I did two separate ride alongs w/ Acura techs), but they DID happen after a while and the techs did acknowledge they heard/felt the issue, but didn't know what it was.

2. Once you have the evidence, straight up tell them that other owners who have experienced this same issue have had the TSB done (ATF changed and transmission software updated) under the powertrain warranty (yours appears to be still covered by factory warranty, too), which appears to have resolved the issues.

I hope that helps. My dealer had no idea what was going on for over a year and I was living with it until this last service when the rough shifts were more frequent.

I'm still a little confused on how Acura Certified Mechanics could miss such a seemingly easy diagnosis, or at least not have it as an item to look at on a checklist for the complaint.

Awesome words of advice, Thank You

mqs1 08-23-2019 09:36 AM

"I'm still a little confused on how Acura Certified Mechanics could miss such a seemingly easy diagnosis, or at least not have it as an item to look at on a checklist for the complaint."

My noob take: TSB dated Jan 2019 and concurrently issued with software update so obviously Corporate (but not dealers?) knew this was a transmission issue for quite awhile. It takes a looong time for any software update to be released to the public (diagnose, determine best solution, candy crush, code, test, certify, candy crush, legal review, receive all approvals, more candy crush, etc etc).

TSB also included MDX Hybrid which probably helped resolve the issue due to greater number of those sold / on the road (i.e. nagging soccer moms, i kid i kid). The buzzing sound was probably transmission "whine"? If a TSB is issued then its a known issue, so why don't the Service Dept just perform the update as a preventative measure after customer complaint instead of having to witness the issue? Frustrating...... good luck to those still trying to get this done

Limelight 08-23-2019 01:34 PM

I had the software update done in February but noticed they didn’t replace the ATF fluid.

My car is at the dealership now for a B service and rear diff fluid change so they are replacing the ATF fluid as well under warranty. I’m looking forward to seeing if I notice a difference when I pick it up.

They also had to replace both my rear calipers last August because of the squeal when activating/deactivating my electric parking brake - well, the noise has returned. Will be interesting to see what comes of that - haven’t heard from them yet....

scottb4u 08-23-2019 08:20 PM

So, I spoke to the head of service and she agreed to do the TSB. So far very smooth with no jerkiness. Happy!

bigred123 08-26-2019 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Limelight (Post 16470316)
I had the software update done in February but noticed they didn’t replace the ATF fluid.

My car is at the dealership now for a B service and rear diff fluid change so they are replacing the ATF fluid as well under warranty. I’m looking forward to seeing if I notice a difference when I pick it up.

They also had to replace both my rear calipers last August because of the squeal when activating/deactivating my electric parking brake - well, the noise has returned. Will be interesting to see what comes of that - haven’t heard from them yet....

Was there a TSB number for Canada Limelight? I have mine going in for service Thursday. They are going to think I'm suspicious because my ATF fluid is up for replacement, but I've had this issue for at least a year now. I gave them the US TSB number - they said they would look into it.

Thanks!

Limelight 08-26-2019 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by bigred123 (Post 16471497)
Was there a TSB number for Canada Limelight? I have mine going in for service Thursday. They are going to think I'm suspicious because my ATF fluid is up for replacement, but I've had this issue for at least a year now. I gave them the US TSB number - they said they would look into it.

Thanks!

I brought in the 19-004 US TSB to my dealer and explained my symptoms. They did the software update back in February but not the ATF fluid change for some reason. When I had the car at the dealership on Friday, they told me the ATF change was $190 so I asked why they didn’t do it as part of the earlier software update, since the ATF fluid change is step two of the bulletin. They agreed and did it at no charge under warranty.

My invoice references Service Bulletin 19-004 but also says “Replace ATF fluid as per Bulletin E-1-19”, so maybe that is the Canadian equivalent?

Good luck. My car definitely shifts smoother and seems more spirited so I would have gladly paid $190 to get it back this way if not covered. Mine only has 62,000km so it wouldn’t have normally been due since they told me the ATF fluid doesn’t need to be changed until 96,000km.

Limelight 08-26-2019 06:44 PM

Oh, and one of my rear calipers, which was replaced under warranty last year for squeaking during parking brake operation (see known TSB) is again faulty and needs to be replaced under warranty.

bigred123 08-29-2019 09:45 PM

So they are doing my transmission update now. I also got a caliper seized (front left) so it's being replaced, and my steering column was making a noise when it was retracting so they are replacing that as well (under my extended warranty). I get the car back tomorrow - excited to see how the car runs with the software update on the transmission!

fsmith 09-10-2019 05:30 PM

ATF Fluid Change and Mystery Noise

Count me in on the ATF TSB. I've had a worsening very slight grinding noise on 30+ mph turns. Based on this thread, and the fact that the service foreman took a drive with me and heard the noise, the dealer did the 19-004 ATF service and my SH-AWD is back to sounding and driving like it was new. Thanks to all who figured this out. My car continues to delight on every drive. Please, Acura, do not kill it off!

bigred123 09-14-2019 11:42 AM

My car definitely runs much smoother with the transmission update!

mqs1 09-20-2019 09:29 AM

So did the RLX and MDX Hybrid models all get a a batch of bad ATF? Did "bad" transmission mapping / software degrade ATF quicker than normal?
Maintenance Code 3 includes changing ATF and manual says driving in mountainous areas or very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures requiring greater frequency ATF changes at 30k and then every 25k miles thereafter. My issues happened before 30k and I don't drive in the mountains nor drive at extremely low speeds.
My CYA takeaway from this: Hybrid model DCT runs very hot requiring more frequent changes than the maintenance minder recommends. So my plan is to change ATF every 20k going forward.

hondamore 10-09-2019 10:35 AM

After reading this thread, I convinced myself that the "slight hesitation" that I had felt in the transmission when taking a left turn at medium speed was not a figment of my imagination and so I had the 19-004 TSB performed when I had my car in for an oil change this week. What is interesting is that my 2014 RLX Sport Hybrid only has roughly 12000 miles on it (19500 km), so the issue can present itself over time even with low mileage.

I am happy to report that my "baby" feels smooth and quiet, just like new and the shifts are butter smooth (the DCT was actually one of the most impressive things that I noted back when I first got the car). I actually found myself driving slightly faster than usual on the way home because the car felt quieter and smoother.

FWIW, I am located up in Canada and the TSB was covered under warranty (shout out to Limelight for his input on this matter) so, along with the lifetime oil changes that they threw into the deal when I bought my RLX, the whole service didn't cost me a penny even though my RLX is now 4 and a half years old.

Huge thanks to everyone for reporting their issue and the actions which resolved the issue!! This thread is a true testament to owners helping other owners. Thanks again.

Bulldog2 10-10-2019 07:48 AM

The 19-004 fix is a great fix. I'm concerned about the longevity of the correction. I've just had mine performed a second time after a run of 8-10k miles. Maybe they've tweaked the fix since my first one. Looking forward to hearing everyone's experience with this oner time.

This was my post from last december:

I now have 26,000 on mine (2016 hybrid), and i just had the second transmission fluid service done. The first time, there was some jerkiness, so the service folks recommended it. This time, the jerkiness was really bad. The local dealer described it as feeling like i had a torque converter problem (it wasn't, since it doesn't have one).They worked with the national guys in California for a solution.The remedy was a 2 time super flush. Runs great now, but transmission fluid changes almost as frequently as oil changes can't be tolerated long term. They agree.

Bellanova 10-10-2019 09:25 AM

I too drive a '16 SH, and aside from the 19-004 which was performed in March, I have had no additional transmission fluid changes. I closing on 50K with the car, and the transmission shifts remarkably smooth. What other issues are you noticing? Is the harshness on quick acceleration or ordinary driving?

Bulldog2 10-14-2019 09:27 AM

Ordinary driving. Noticeable on gradual acceleration from 10-30mph. Very noticeable if there is a slight upwards grade. Not only when changing gears.

Same symptoms before both fixes.

Bellanova 10-14-2019 10:30 AM

Yours really sounds like a serious flaw. You say it's been remedied by the fluid changes or does it continue?

I'm having the A16 service this week which to my knowledge is the first time that the rear differential fluid has been changed. Aside from that, this car has been mostly routine (knock, knock). Please let us all know what things progress with your SH

Bulldog2 10-14-2019 10:44 AM

Runs smooth as silk after the fluid change/transmission update. Hope it lasts longer this time.

Bulldog2 10-16-2019 02:31 PM

In addition running smother, I just noticed today that my fuel efficiency has increased about 15% (for similar driving conditions).

neuronbob 10-16-2019 09:06 PM

^^^^sounds like I needed the same for my old Sport Hybrid. Maybe it's time to come back, LOL?

MuGen7Modulo 10-17-2019 10:08 PM

I still have to do this to my baby lady but I'm OCD in letting anyone touch my car.

Again, huge thanks to EE4Life for all the OEM information he provides us in here!!!

George Knighton 10-22-2019 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bulldog2 (Post 16493463)
In addition running smother, I just noticed today that my fuel efficiency has increased about 15% (for similar driving conditions).

People have remarked a few times over the past five years that my gas mileage is very good, and I can't help wondering whether it's due to people at the dealership doing this TSB sooner than later.

This present tank is at 32.8 mpg with about 310 miles gone.

Limelight 10-22-2019 01:07 PM

My mileage seems to have improved since the TSB as well. On Sunday, I drove 70.3km to the golf course with 31.3km on EV (almost 45%). Even more impressive considering that was with temperatures hovering around 35 degrees Fahrenheit (don't ask why I was golfing in that weather lol. It did warm up to mid 60's by the end of the round mind you).

For a powerful and heavy four door luxury car, that is some pretty awesome EV mileage. Such a shame people don't know more about this vehicle or they have preconceived ideas of what they think it is. There really is nothing like it in the marketplace...