Invisible RLX

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Invisible RLX

I'm looking to buy a new car. I currently have a 2014 BMW 535i X-Drive. Before that I had an Acura RL, a Legend LS and a Legend. I was very happy with my three Acura's. I switched to BMW because I had some concerns about the first-year RLX at the time.

The RLX is very high on my current consideration list but I am "spooked" by one issue: I have never seen one on the road. Never, ever, not even once, anywhere. A few months ago I asked a few friends who drive a lot to be on the lookout. Same thing - no one ever saw one on the road. We all saw plenty of Acura's but never an RLX.

So, I'm not sure what to make of this "invisible" car. Why have I never seen one? Is Acura really committed to this model? Any insights or advice appreciated!

Peter
Old 09-30-2018, 06:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
With fewer than 15000 RLX's sold in the USA since it's inception, RLX owners certainly enjoy a high degree of exclusivity. The Sport Hybrid version boasts less than 2000 ever made, so it has achieved full "unicorn" status. This relative rarity is not unlike that of your beloved RL - it is just a great car that nobody knows about and few people buy because it is an expensive car that lacks snob appeal.

On the one hand, it is a pity that so few people get to enjoy the RLX Sport Hybrid's wonderful driving experience, but on the other hand, it is nice to not be driving the same car as "everyone else".

If you enjoyed your RL, you are very likely to enjoy a shiny new RLX Sport Hybrid. Good luck in your search for a new ride.
The following 2 users liked this post by hondamore:
mrrobato (11-12-2018), neuronbob (11-12-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 07:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I would be happy to show you mine and then you will want one immediately. I'm in the NYC area.
The following users liked this post:
MuGen7Modulo (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 08:19 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
The Sport Hybrid version boasts less than 2000 ever made.
Are these total sold/on the road North American Sport Hybrid’s since 2014? Are there any figures specifically for Canadian SH models? I’ve often been asked how many SH’s have been sold in Canada since 2014... If I had to guess, I’d think a few hundred. Outside of mine, I’ve only seen two other Sport Hybrids in the wild.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Limelight, The numbers that I quoted are for the US market only. I've been looking for the same Canadian Sport Hybrid data and can't find it. I have a recollection of reading that roughly 50 Canadian spec RLX Sport Hybrids were made for the 2014 model year, but I can't find the source of that information. Other than that unreliable tidbit, I'm sorry I can't help.

The total number of RLX's sold in Canada (PAWS and Sport Hybrid) is:

2013 - 173
2014 - 243
2015 - 182
2016 - 107
2017 - 59
2018 - 53 up to the end of Aug

My guess is that between 50 and 60 Sport Hybrids are made each year with the Canadian Spec package. A rare car indeed. I have yet to see another one in the wild.
The following 4 users liked this post by hondamore:
Ken1997TL (10-02-2018), Limelight (10-01-2018), mrrobato (11-12-2018), RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 08:56 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by PMokover
So, I'm not sure what to make of this "invisible" car. Why have I never seen one? Is Acura really committed to this model?
The KC1 was a very unpopular car. So is the KC2.

They made a big mistake in setting the MSRP. Honda misjudged very seriously where the dollar/yen exchange rate would be when they finalized production plans.

Despite low production numbers and almost hand-built techniques for some parts of the car, Saiyama were unable to solve quality and design issues from day one, and this caused the cars (especially the KC1) to get a bad reputation as too expensive for the quality and performance.

The KC2, as the Legend successor has a slightly better reputation, and some dealerships are able to capitalize on the similarity to the NSX hybrid drivetrain and high performance nature of the car. However, in the early years they were unable to get enough of these cars to sell, so it didn't matter. The main problem was a battery supply issue in 2013 and 2014, which continued to affect the number of cars that could be sold, straight through 2016.

Although Honda spent tonnes of money developing a four-wheel double wishbone suspension composed of multiple alloys, people still didn't understand what the car was doing in corners and on rough pavement. The dual valve shock absorbers were not a replacement for the magnetic ride control that people might have expected in such a big car at the initial MSRP.

The car rewards smoothness. Unfortunately, it is a smoothness which distracted and pressured drivers in America are unlikely to provide. Drivers who are not used to driving a car with a performance mentality might be shocked at the amounts of oversteer the car will provide...much more oversteer than a car like the TLX SH-AWD will provide. American drivers don't want to pay that much attention, apparently.

They might've sold a few more KC2 if dealers could get them. The smaller dealer that I use in Virginia received my white KC2 in October 2014...and then they never saw another one until late in 2018 where one sits even now, unsold because of their inability to attract the right customer. There's no significant enough improvement over my 2014 model year for me to bother with the paper work on the 2018 model year even if it's only 50 grand. I'm not tending to want to get locked into a finance agreement ahead of the potential rollout of a 2020 model year Legend with a *serial* hybrid powertrain!

:-)

The early cars were criticized for having a too unremarkable appearance, too boring.

The facelift cars are criticized for an outlandish overstatement of intent, and the reduction in MSRP does not attract people.

People don't understand the car, and the dealers don't have a way to explain it properly to bring in anybody other than hard core types like me.

The car was destined to be a sales failure, no matter what we in here say about it.

The following 7 users liked this post by George Knighton:
fsmith (10-01-2018), Ken1997TL (10-02-2018), Malibu Flyer (10-03-2018), neuronbob (11-12-2018), pgeorg (10-02-2018), RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-01-2018), wstr75 (10-01-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-01-2018, 09:03 AM
Grandpa

You know, to be honest, we cannot put it past Honda to have produced this car as an experiment, never really intending to sell that many of them.

The line at Saiyama was never set up for volume production. That's pretty obvious.
The following 5 users liked this post by George Knighton:
fsmith (10-01-2018), hondamore (10-02-2018), Ken1997TL (10-02-2018), pgeorg (10-02-2018), RLX-Sport Hybrid (10-01-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 12:40 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Haven't seen an RLX for a long time. Every once in a while, I see an RL. Plenty of other Acuras around as a dealer is only 10 miles away.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:27 PM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
There are quite a few RLXs in my area (N. TX), but all the others I have seen are PAWS. I have yet to see another SH. There is a guy down the street that has a white one with black rims. Every time I see one I check the deck lid and then sides for the hybrid badging. I may have the only one in the region, and I had to buy out of state to get it.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've owned 2 legends, 3 RL's and looking currently for a RLX. I live in a town of roughly 300k people and I may only see 2 a year. That is one of the things I like most of the Legends line. They are exclusive and not extremely flashy. Plus buying them used is a bargain. You can pick up a 5 year old one with 75k miles for a 1/3 or less of what it is new. I am currently on a RL with 245k and in April looking to pick up a RLX. I keep seeing them in Texas and Florida for around $16k-19k with 60k-90k miles. Which is nothing for a Honda.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:25 AM
Grandpa

When they stop making them, that's when everybody will want them.

This has been happening to Honda for ages.

The Integra Type R. The 4G TL SH-AWD. The TSX Wagon. The ZDX. That weird turbo RDX gen one. The Accord 6-6 Coupe.

It's a long list, if you think about it.

Maybe they are just a couple of years ahead of their time or something. :-)
hondamore (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
When they stop making them, that's when everybody will want them.

This has been happening to Honda for ages.

The Integra Type R. The 4G TL SH-AWD. The TSX Wagon. The ZDX. That weird turbo RDX gen one. The Accord 6-6 Coupe.

It's a long list, if you think about it.

Maybe they are just a couple of years ahead of their time or something. :-)
🤔 You're right! Adding the 1st gen NSX to your list. In this video, Vicki Butler-Henderson's tribute opens with "It's the greatest car you've never lusted after."

The ZDX (baked ZD X-tra cheese) never appealed to me, but it was ahead of its time as BMW later used a similar shape to some success (can't recall the model).

I've only seen 2 RLXs in the wild. I've learned it has a secret option called the cloaking device. The button was labelled "So'wI' chu' " 😀
George Knighton (12-03-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 08:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
The RLX is just not a popular car with consumers in its segment. For its price range it has too much of a milquetoast appearance and the FWD base puts it behind most of its competitors. Only the AWD/hybrid variant has a compelling drive train but again its exterior is a limiting factor. Look at the new RDX. It's selling well. It has both a nice exterior and interior with a competitive drive train/performance relative to its segment. The TLX was able to stop the hemorrhage with the new redesign but still is a bit of a laggard compared to the segment leaders.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I had to order mine in aug. '17 to get it. It was actually on the boat from japan when district rep found it. I have yet to see another shawd in the houston area.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:43 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by miner
I had to order mine in aug. '17 to get it. It was actually on the boat from japan when district rep found it. I have yet to see another shawd in the houston area.
You've reminded me that the initial response to my search for a KC2 was something like, "You might as well forget it. There's only 450 of them. We'll never see one."

Then in October '14 their sales manager called and asked if I still wanted one. According to him, mine is still the only one they've ever seen, even though other east coast dealers seem to have received a couple here and there.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
My local dealer has sold a few KC2s. I was the third they'd sold to when I leased mine. It was a nice car, just way overpriced...Hopefully Jon Ikeda means it when he says Acura is going to revamp its sedans before getting around to more SUVs/CUVs. He's done a good job with the RDX so far, so I'm hopeful. I'm just not a SUV person.

Last edited by neuronbob; 12-13-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:35 AM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
...I'm just not a SUV person.
Same here. Coming from a 3G TL, to me the TLX wasn’t what I was looking for. I drove a paws RLX and thought it was super nice, but it wasn’t until I started to research the unicorn that I figured that was the car I was going to get and take a chance on. I was unable to ever test drive a SH-AWD version and then I drove 12 hours to get mine.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:29 AM
Pro

The SH is just a nice car to drive. It's unassuming, dependable, spacious, has plenty of luxury amenities and more than enough power - all with excellent fuel economy (especially in warmer weather). If anything, I think it's lulled me into underappreciating it if that makes any sense - until I get an inferior loaner vehicle to drive for a day and realize how good it is.

That said, having owned a white 2014 P-AWS prior to the white SH, I'm starting to get the itch that I've had this car for long enough (it will be two years in the SH in March). The SH's power has spoiled me and now I can't go back to something less - I want more! I like unicorns too - and the Lexus RC-F with it's unique styling and 467HP V8 has been calling me of late.

The Mrs. likes the SH and isn't terribly keen on the idea - so I'm going to start talking incessantly about the RC-F like I did about the SH until she lets me buy it on the condition that I stop talking about it....
Old 12-12-2018, 10:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Limelight, your wife sounds like a very intelligent and sensible woman.

Allow me to make some points on her behalf...There are a few things that you'll miss about your Sport Hybrid RLX if you switch to the RC-F:
- I can almost guarantee you'll miss the SHAWD in the winter.
- Even if you don't often have more than two people in your vehicle, having a real back seat sure does come in handy when you do.
- The RC-F is tuned for a sporty ride which is fun now and then, but you sure might miss the smooth, quiet luxury of your RLX.
- While not a major factor, the city mileage of the RC-F drinks up roughly twice the gas as your Sport Hybrid and even the highway mileage is significantly worse in the RC-F. Remember the Carbon tax is coming and gas prices will be rising.
- The RC-F is MUCH more expensive than the excellent value of your RLX Sport Hybrid ... that is money that could be used to take your wife on a nice vacation somewhere she loves or buying her a gold and diamond bobble to add to her collection.

Now go hug your wife and tell her how lucky you are to have her in your life.
Limelight (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 11:33 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by hondamore
Limelight, your wife sounds like a very intelligent and sensible woman.

Allow me to make some points on her behalf...There are a few things that you'll miss about your Sport Hybrid RLX if you switch to the RC-F:
- I can almost guarantee you'll miss the SHAWD in the winter.
- Even if you don't often have more than two people in your vehicle, having a real back seat sure does come in handy when you do.
- The RC-F is tuned for a sporty ride which is fun now and then, but you sure might miss the smooth, quiet luxury of your RLX.
- While not a major factor, the city mileage of the RC-F drinks up roughly twice the gas as your Sport Hybrid and even the highway mileage is significantly worse in the RC-F. Remember the Carbon tax is coming and gas prices will be rising.
- The RC-F is MUCH more expensive than the excellent value of your RLX Sport Hybrid ... that is money that could be used to take your wife on a nice vacation somewhere she loves or buying her a gold and diamond bobble to add to her collection.

Now go hug your wife and tell her how lucky you are to have her in your life.
Thanks for your great post Hondamore. All excellent points which rattle around in my head at night. Like my wife, you too are a very sensible individual! I'm actually a little concerned that she has secretively joined the forum and is sending others private messages to discourage me.. I berated that poor woman for many months about the drawbacks of the P-AWS and read her countless forum posts raving about the SH - to the point that she said fine - buy the damn Sport Hybrid so you stop talking to me about it. She claims I said I would keep it for 8 years as part of my pleading at the time - funny, I don't remember saying that....

But seriously - who ever said buying a higher end car is a sensible decision?

I would miss the SH-AWD in the winter but I've never felt it to be as planted as my 4G TL was - and if I got the RCF, I wouldn't drive it in the winter anyway. I would purchase a winter beater. My wife says the way I am with cars, I would never be happy driving a beater for 7 months of the year. She might have me pegged there... That said, being in sales I'm on the road a fair bit and I've often wondered why I'm depreciating a nice car like the SH on company business - a beater might make more sense since I get the same car allowance regardless of what I drive.

Despite having 3 young kids, they are rarely in the SH, unless I'm picking one up/ or dropping them off somewhere. As a family, we travel in the Odyssey.

Also, having a 2015 SH, the suspension I have never described as smooth - unfortunately I didn't listen to the advice of my good friend PGEORG to get a 2016. I envision the ride in the RCF to be comparable to my 2015 SH. That said, I have not test driven the RCF because then I would buy it. If you re-read my post after test driving the SH, I basically had to buy it after driving it - no doubt about that.

Although fuel economy has been fun with the SH, and I challenge myself to engage EV as much as I can, I've always found that humourous since I have a company gas card and don't pay for my fuel - so I could drive a Cadillac Escalade and be out pocket nothing.

All that said, where I can't disagree with you is that I have an amazing wife who more than supports my crazy car fantasies - but undoubtedly will never understand them. I know it doesn't make any sense to get rid of the SH this soon, but when it comes to cars, my brain and heart clearly don't communicate with each other. I know getting an RCF as garage jewelry for summer enjoyment will add to my costs and mean driving something far inferior to the SH for the majority of the year - yet I still feel the urge to do it. Perhaps I should listen to my wife and postpone that fantasy until the kids are older - but why put off to tomorrow what you can do today? I suppose that's where the marriage 'give and take' factors into the equation and I should listen to my more logical wife. She wants to renovate the kitchen. I want an RCF. Perhaps we can negotiate a trade

hondamore (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 11:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Limelight, worst case scenario, you could buy the RC-F and keep the RLX as your winter car. For what they would give you in trade, you could keep it as the perfect winter car.

P.S. If you renovate the kitchen, I highly recommend an induction stove.
neuronbob (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Too many cars

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I have both and to say they are different is an understatement. The only two things I don't like about the RCF are the unpleasant pointing device on the console for the dash screen and the fact it comes with summer only tires and I have been too cheap to buy all season tires. It is fast, has incredible handling and gets a lot of attention because few people know what it is. It is however not big, cushy, comfortable, and AWD like the RLX. You should have both.
Limelight (12-14-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 08:58 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
I finally saw an RLX sh sh today and it's for sale, unfotununatly they are asking $71k CAD

Old 12-18-2018, 12:14 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Get 'em both... Match made in heaven...
Old 12-18-2018, 09:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

The can ask $71K, but an offer of $58K and they throw in a bunch of accessories would likely result in a quick handshake and a deal. Tis the season for getting great deals on cars...the salespeople all want a nice Christmas bonus and the dealerships are all looking to pad their annual sales numbers and maximize their sales volume kickbacks from Acura.
neuronbob (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 10:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
That NC1 though...
Old 12-19-2018, 09:51 AM
Grandpa

Perspective.

Those 71,000 Loonies are 52,900 US dollars.

I suspect that there's probably a couple of Yankees around who'd want to go get a white KC2 for that.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:54 AM
Grandpa

Mixed feelings.

I think they went crazy with the redesign of the nose, basically from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Then I notice things like the chrome door handles and the black interior.

One of the several banes of my existence is my Seacoast interior, which doesn't work well when you are an old slob like me, without much inclination to detail interiors.

:-)