Interior Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 03:27 PM
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Interior Detroit

Acura;s Direction..Will this be in the RLX
Attached Thumbnails Interior Detroit-ph-115009992.jpg   Interior Detroit-ph-115009992-1-.jpg   Interior Detroit-ph-115009992-2-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts
I sure hope not. Something about the floating center console just appears hideous to me. I am good with the other improvements (panorama roof; bringing back shawd in the RDX...). There just seems to be a confused design language going on. Putting the "dynamic mode" selector front and center in what is likely the slowest Acura just makes no sense. What exactly are they trying to emphasize with the new interior? Sporty? Luxury? Or geometry?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:22 PM
Rez
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
I like the interior, honestly..
TacoBello (01-16-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 10:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I kind of like the "two tier" center console with a lower "shelf" for phones etc. It might actually give a bit more "knee room" as well.

I don't like that they are headed toward a touchpad or scroll pad controlled interface - seems to just add more steps/clicks to normally simple operations. I also don't care for the gear selection and dynamic mode selector being that high up in the console. The current sport mode button on the RLX is well placed (in my opinion) where you can activate it without really needing to look down as your hand falls nicely to it and you can feel the "braille bumps". The concept placement definitely requires you to look to find the button/knob. I personally sometime shift into sport mode when I have to cross a busy road or make a left turn when traffic is heavy and you want the bit of extra acceleration - not having to take your eyes off the road in those situations if very helpful.

Just my two cents.
romrunning (01-22-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 07:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Everyone is going in the cockpit direction with the dash/center console designs. They want you to feel as though you are a pilot in a plane. I am a little slow to warm up to this design move. But it we intend to buy cars, we might want to get used to it.
TacoBello (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
I really like the new interior design language, and more so the new tech that is being brought in. I loved the current RLX interior, but the NAV (and frankly all the cockpit tech) was in need of a desire scrap and re-design. I think this is a great move forward and leverages several key elements from the NSX (to answer AP8ESQ's question about the "Dynamic Mode" controls being front and center. It comes from the NSX interior design).

What I also like about the new design is it's more slanted and swept from front to back. You have to find some side shots to see what I'm talking about. The entire center console appears to be more of a 45-degree angle and less of a straight hard 90-degree angle. It's also much higher making it feel much more relaxed driving position and experience when accessing the center console controls, etc.
The following 3 users liked this post by holografique:
Philisophe (01-17-2018), silverTL6 (01-20-2018), TacoBello (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 06:04 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
So where is the "Brake Hold" control button going to be? I hope that doesn't mean they are doing away with that feature. I find it very useful for stop and go driving.

Does anyone know what the button in the middle picture which shows a "a" with a circle around it just to the left of the transmission buttons is for? It appears to be a button to turn off some function.....but what function? Autonomous driving?
Old 01-16-2018, 06:25 PM
Advanced

^^^^ I think the A button turns off auto start/ stop but not entirely sure about in the new models
Old 01-16-2018, 06:33 PM
Advanced

[QUOTE=holografique;16166743]I really like the new interior design language, and more so the new tech that is being brought in. I loved the current RLX interior, but the NAV (and frankly all the cockpit tech) was in need of a desire scrap and re-design. I think this is a great move forward and leverages several key elements from the NSX (to answer AP8ESQ's question about the "Dynamic Mode" controls being front and center. It comes from the NSX interior design).

I am aware of where the design cue comes from - in my view it does not have a place in the RDX. Hell, I don't think it even has a place in the next gen RLX which is more closely related to the NSX than a RDX will ever be. Seems like that function could easily be incorporated via either the steering wheel controls or a button somewhere that does not quite monopolize real estate in the middle of the center stack on a vehicle that, quite frankly, doesn't need IDS at all. Again - just my own views on the layout in the prototype.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
So where is the "Brake Hold" control button going to be? I hope that doesn't mean they are doing away with that feature. I find it very useful for stop and go driving.

Does anyone know what the button in the middle picture which shows a "a" with a circle around it just to the left of the transmission buttons is for? It appears to be a button to turn off some function.....but what function? Autonomous driving?
On 2017 MDX, Brake Hold is to left of steering wheel in lower portion of Dash
Old 01-16-2018, 07:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by AP8ESQ
I am aware of where the design cue comes from - in my view it does not have a place in the RDX. Hell, I don't think it even has a place in the next gen RLX which is more closely related to the NSX than a RDX will ever be. Seems like that function could easily be incorporated via either the steering wheel controls or a button somewhere that does not quite monopolize real estate in the middle of the center stack on a vehicle that, quite frankly, doesn't need IDS at all. Again - just my own views on the layout in the prototype.
You need to read up a bit more. The RDX is coming out with an A-Spec package and is even rumored to eventually come in a Type S guise. Either way, power is expected to come in at about 275hp and 275lbft for the base 2.0T. For a mid size CUV, that is plenty of power. The horsepower figures aren't crazy, but the torque is nicely up there. Keep in mind that is what Honda/Acura will likely rate the engine at. If the recent past is any indication, that engine will be decently underrated.

I see nothing wrong with Acura amalgamating all of their cars into one design language- as long as it is a good design language and thus far, people seem to really be liking it (can't please everyone). The RDX will have various drive modes also, so having that drive mode button is kind of important. I'm not sure why you don't like the car having IDS- the majority seem to think it's pretty cool.

Seeing as the hand shifter was done away with for the current Acura lineup, as early as 2014, I think it's time to start accepting that the buttons aren't going anywhere. By the end of the day, the cars are still all equipped with automatic transmissions- what's the point of putting a hand shifter in? To pretend it's something it's not? Some people are afraid of change and like things to always be as they were. Some prefer innovation and getting away from the same old. It seems Acura is in that latter group nowadays.

The RLX is nowhere close to the NSX. Gasp, you say! But really, that's like saying the MDX is the same as the NSX. Sorry. Just because 5-10% of vehicles sold come with the SH system, does not mean they are alike in any way. 90-95% of them are so far from the NSX, you'd have to be pulling straws to try and find stuff in common. So besides the sport hybrid system, the RLX, or even just the regular FWD RLX has nothing in common with the NSX. Sorry.

Last edited by TacoBello; 01-16-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Talking Auto Idle Stop

Malibu Flyer (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 11:44 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Thanks for the information. I have a 2014 Advance Sport Hybrid and I don’t have that option. I assume it has something to do with the interaction of the hybrid system and the ICE.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Thanks for the information. I have a 2014 Advance Sport Hybrid and I don’t have that option. I assume it has something to do with the interaction of the hybrid system and the ICE.
Auto Engine/Idle Stop is a feature not exclusive to gas/hybrids. Many manufacturers are going this route to squeeze out those extra MPG's. Especially helpful those who waste tons of gas and suffer with the MPG's while sitting in traffic with an idling engine.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
BMW non-hybrids have it - they also stop the alternator at idle

In the Acura Hybrids, you change from Normal to Sport mode to stop the ICE from going off. The above feature would be for normal ICE cars
Malibu Flyer (01-19-2018)