Hybrid batteries & AcuraCare

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 06:46 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Hybrid batteries & AcuraCare

Hello Hybrid Aficionados,

I haven't been here in many months due to a "hiccup" with my longstanding stage4 ca.
I'm considering a 2016 CPO Hybrid Advanced and I understand the hybrid batteries have a 10 year projected lifespan but, is there a comparable mileage lifespan?
I'd include AcuraCare 8yrs/120K miles if it covers the hybrid batteries should they appreciably diminish their capacity prematurely. I realize this is relatively new technology and there may not be sufficient experience to provide an answer. I'm looking ahead for my wife in the event I'm not here.

Thanks for any info or opinions
Old 03-10-2017, 09:31 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
They hybrid battery warranty varies by state. Most are 10yr / 100K miles.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
Most are 10yr / 100K miles.
WoW, didn't realize that. I'm in NY
Old 03-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Look at the Hybrid System specifically. Also make sure you look under the B column, with apples to NY

HTH

The following 3 users liked this post by pgeorg:
hondamore (03-10-2017), moose66 (03-10-2017), TacoBello (03-13-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 10:49 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Yes, NY is a CARB state that benefits from longer warranties than the remaining states following federal guidelines. CARB states are 10yr / 150K miles. Non CARB states are 8yr / 100K. This applies to PZEV hybrids (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle) - meaning the car can operate part time EV, part time ICE and part time hybrid (combined EV & ICE).
Old 03-10-2017, 11:58 AM
Racer

Yes, NY is a CARB state that benefits from longer warranties than the remaining states following federal guidelines. CARB states are 10yr / 150K miles. Non CARB states are 8yr / 100K. This applies to PZEV hybrids (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle) - meaning the car can operate part time EV, part time ICE and part time hybrid (combined EV & ICE).
Thanks for the info!
WoW, 10yrs/150K miles? Wouldn't have to rely on AcuraCare!
BUT, what signs/sx's would deteriorating batteries exhibit down the long road?
Old 03-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Li-Ion batteries deteriorate much like traditional batteries. That is, if the battery is drained lower than 50% in many cycles, the battery life is shortened. In hybrid operation, I doubt this happens as much as in a full EV. The typical deterioration would be that the full amperage outbound becomes reduced. Thus, the max power to the motors would be reduced. So, if you feel acceleration is not as good, that would be a symptom.

Wonder if there are any diagnostics that monitor battery strength.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:02 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

With our SHs the fuel mileage will degrade. As the battery performance degrades, the ICE will engage more frequently to recharge and mpgs will drop. However, there a hybrid taxi fleets with 200K+ miles with no measurable battery performance degradation.

FYI - there are hybrid battery rebuild / recondition vendors coming online and the cost are dropping for battery replacement. In 2014 when I first inquired in the cost for the SH it was $1500. A year ago was $1000. Now I see vendors offering $700 to replace the lithium ion cells. I think the more Honda produced this battery pack, the more you will see costs stabilizing. The price curve for the Prius has dropped 75% due to the volume of that model.

My hope is that battery power technology improves. we may be able to upgrade to stronger, longer lasting battery cells.
The following 4 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (03-10-2017), moose66 (03-10-2017), pgeorg (03-10-2017), TacoBello (03-13-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Racer

With our SHs the fuel mileage will degrade. As the battery performance degrades, the ICE will engage more frequently to recharge and mpgs will drop. However, there a hybrid taxi fleets with 200K+ miles with no measurable battery performance degradation.

FYI - there are hybrid battery rebuild / recondition vendors coming online and the cost are dropping for battery replacement. In 2014 when I first inquired in the cost for the SH it was $1500. A year ago was $1000. Now I see vendors offering $700 to replace the lithium ion cells. I think the more Honda produced this battery pack, the more you will see costs stabilizing. The price curve for the Prius has dropped 75% due to the volume of that model.

My hope is that battery power technology improves. we may be able to upgrade to stronger, longer lasting battery cells.
Great info & details, Thank You gentlemen!
It appears there isn't much to worry about except finding the right CPO. I've decided new just doesn't offer a discounted price commensurate with a hardly used CPO for $20-25K below original sticker.
I've driven a '14 Hybrid and the '16 can only be as good or better and my wife loves the RL.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:11 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by stagefoursurvivor
It appears there isn't much to worry about except finding the right CPO. I've decided new just doesn't offer a discounted price commensurate with a hardly used CPO for $20-25K below original sticker.
I've driven a '14 Hybrid and the '16 can only be as good or better and my wife loves the RL.
Ask and you shall be answered. CPO 2016 Advance SH < 10K miles $21K off sticker. Add some negotiation skill and I think a trip to IIllinois would make a nice road trip back to NY.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6599/overview/
Old 03-11-2017, 06:53 AM
Racer

Ask and you shall be answered. CPO 2016 Advance SH < 10K miles $21K off sticker. Add some negotiation skill and I think a trip to IIllinois would make a nice road trip back to NY.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6599/overview/
Thanks, I'd seen that one but, have some misgivings since it's an auction car. Which leads me to question why the original dealer didn't offer it for sale instead of auction it. There's also a big scratch on the L rear bumper. I'm not expecting perfection...well yeah, maybe I am, or damn close! ;-)
Old 03-12-2017, 10:29 AM
Racer

Please indulge another question on AcuraCare vs CPO?

I spoke to a dealer yesterday concerning a '16 Hybrid Advanced however, the issue of complete CPO coverage out to 8yrs/120K miles was quoted as an additional $5K AND I could only get it at purchase.
I thought I could purchase AcuraCare anywhere as long as it's still under the original 48mo/50K warranty regardless if CPO is 60 mo/62K?
$5K seems excessive and a method to increase their profit margin.

PS, reading neuronbobs thread about power loss did give me pause, not to be confused with P-AWS...
Old 03-12-2017, 10:39 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

You can purchase AcuraCare extended warranty up to the end of the factory warranty. However, the longer you wait, the prices becomes higher, and typically the deductibles raised. Some states do NOT permit purchasing a warranty from an out of state source (Florida is one ). For the rest, you can shop out AcuraCare warranties from any vendor, some offer via online purchase. There are many references to extended warranty purchases on AZ.

But before you determine the need for an extended warranty - examine the terms of the CPO warranty. To my knowledge the CPO warranty is longer than the factory warranty. So the cost of an extension beyond that may not prove price worthy.

***Greetings from the St Pete Grand Prix***
Old 03-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts
I bought my 2014 Hybrid advance as cpo last year. The original full warranty is extended to 60 months or 62k and powertrain is 7 years or 100k. As to Acuracare, the dealer tried to sell it to me at purchase but did mention it could be added later. I am not sure if the fact that my financing is through AFS has anything to do with adding it subsequent to purchase but the AFS website has info that may be of assistance to browse since it does discuss the Acuracare extended "service contract" by clicking "finance" then by clicking "service contracts."
Old 03-13-2017, 03:00 PM
Racer

You can purchase AcuraCare extended warranty up to the end of the factory warranty. However, the longer you wait, the prices becomes higher, and typically the deductibles raised. Some states do NOT permit purchasing a warranty from an out of state source (Florida is one ). For the rest, you can shop out AcuraCare warranties from any vendor, some offer via online purchase. There are many references to extended warranty purchases on AZ.

But before you determine the need for an extended warranty - examine the terms of the CPO warranty. To my knowledge the CPO warranty is longer than the factory warranty. So the cost of an extension beyond that may not prove price worthy.

***Greetings from the St Pete Grand Prix***
The CPO coverage they're providing is 60mos/62K miles, to extend this to 8yrs/120K miles they want an additional $5K. I believe buying AcuraCare through another dealer for the same term is exactly the same coverage for much less cost but, I couldn't get an exact quote because I didn't have some of the info they require.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:05 PM
Burning Brakes

I always buy AcuraCare from Hyannys Honda, they have great prices and extremely friendly people (I also bought it for my SH last year).

You may go here and check the price for all the plans:

Hyannis Honda
Old 03-13-2017, 03:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pgeorg
I always buy AcuraCare from Hyannys Honda, they have great prices and extremely friendly people (I also bought it for my SH last year).

You may go here and check the price for all the plans:

Hyannis Honda
Thanks, I'll give it a try but, that indicates a maximum 5yrs from date of purchase of the warranty, NOT extension of initial 4yr warranty?
Old 03-13-2017, 04:48 PM
Burning Brakes

AcuraCare years and miles are in total, including the factory warranty.

If you get an 8year/120,000miles AcuraCare contract, that would give you an extra 4years/70,000miles.....

I hope this is what you asked......
Old 03-13-2017, 05:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pgeorg
AcuraCare years and miles are in total, including the factory warranty.

If you get an 8year/120,000miles AcuraCare contract, that would give you an extra 4years/70,000miles.....

I hope this is what you asked......
No, that's not how Hyannis' warranty reads in terms of years, 5yrs/120K miles from "date of warranty purchase" i.e. 74mos if cars inservice is 14mos(60+14)
Old 03-13-2017, 06:03 PM
Burning Brakes

I was under the impression that it was combined with the Manufactures warranty. I might be wrong.....
Old 03-13-2017, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I purchased my AcuraCare contract 6years/120,000 (D62) a couple of months after I bought my 2016 SH, and the contract expires in 2021. That means that it started the day I bought the car, not the actual contract.
Maybe this is only for new vehicles, and not used ones. I have not purchased a used Acura.....
Below are the details of my contract:

PLAN: D62

CONTRACT TYPE: VEHICLE SERVICE CONTRACT

CONTRACT EXP MILE: 120,000

CONTRACT EXP DATE: 12-18-2021

MILEAGE: 637

VSC RETAIL DATE: 01-11-2016

VEHICLE ORIGINAL RETAIL DATE: 12-19-2015

VEHICLE RETAIL PRICE: 0.00

CONTRACT APPROVAL DATE: 01-11-2016
Old 03-13-2017, 07:40 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Think about it. You are paying $5K for something that in effect, is not usable for 2-3 years (when the OEM Warranty expires). That is the best way for Acura to make money selling now what you cannot use until later. Now if you gamble and wait until you are closer to the expiration of the OEM warranty, you will 1) have a good idea of the vehicle's reliability, 2) have a better idea of your use / mileage and wear and 3) should know if the car is a long term keeper or you are itching again. Still, the AcuraCare extended warranty is transferable and I believe pro-rated refundable. So you do not loose the value in full if unused.

Although the numbers are old in comparison, I purchased an AcuraCare extended warranty for my previous RL a month before the OEM warranty expired. When I originally purchased the RL they offered 8 year 100K for $1800. When my warranty expired, I had 44K miles and purchased a 4 year or 100K extended for $2400 with a $100 deductible. Later in the car's life around 50K I had the front struts, motor mounts, 2 electric window switches and stabilizer bar bushings replaced under the extended warranty. Cost me $100. BUT the total ticket was about $1200 and I paid $2400 for the warranty. I sold the car at 10 years, 2 years past the extended warranty and still only had 58K miles.

I bought the extended warranty on the RL as my biggest concern was the SHAWD system. It was totally bulletproof (not even the prop shaft whine). So it was a gamble in the sake of security. When I purchased my SH, I thought this was an even larger leap of technology and engineering - and considering the quality issues that had surfaced with Honda and Acura I considered the extended - to 8 years or 100K no deductible plan. That would have been $4700. I did some research on batter replacement costs and the major SH components, and thought I would wait. If by the time my OEM warranty was nearing expiration I would have an idea how reliable this system is. And if there were risks, I could buy an extended warranty then, if not for a higher price and a tacked on deductible - or - it may lead me to trading out of a VERY low mileage car (probably to the person who purchased my former RL).

So my advice is to walk through the downstream possibilities and decide if buying it now, though unusable - offers the security you seek for that price.

The following 3 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
Malibu Flyer (03-13-2017), moose66 (03-14-2017), pgeorg (03-13-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Racer

Think about it. You are paying $5K for something that in effect, is not usable for 2-3 years (when the OEM Warranty expires). That is the best way for Acura to make money selling now what you cannot use until later. Now if you gamble and wait until you are closer to the expiration of the OEM warranty, you will 1) have a good idea of the vehicle's reliability, 2) have a better idea of your use / mileage and wear and 3) should know if the car is a long term keeper or you are itching again. Still, the AcuraCare extended warranty is transferable and I believe pro-rated refundable. So you do not loose the value in full if unused.

Although the numbers are old in comparison, I purchased an AcuraCare extended warranty for my previous RL a month before the OEM warranty expired. When I originally purchased the RL they offered 8 year 100K for $1800. When my warranty expired, I had 44K miles and purchased a 4 year or 100K extended for $2400 with a $100 deductible. Later in the car's life around 50K I had the front struts, motor mounts, 2 electric window switches and stabilizer bar bushings replaced under the extended warranty. Cost me $100. BUT the total ticket was about $1200 and I paid $2400 for the warranty. I sold the car at 10 years, 2 years past the extended warranty and still only had 58K miles.

I bought the extended warranty on the RL as my biggest concern was the SHAWD system. It was totally bulletproof (not even the prop shaft whine). So it was a gamble in the sake of security. When I purchased my SH, I thought this was an even larger leap of technology and engineering - and considering the quality issues that had surfaced with Honda and Acura I considered the extended - to 8 years or 100K no deductible plan. That would have been $4700. I did some research on batter replacement costs and the major SH components, and thought I would wait. If by the time my OEM warranty was nearing expiration I would have an idea how reliable this system is. And if there were risks, I could buy an extended warranty then, if not for a higher price and a tacked on deductible - or - it may lead me to trading out of a VERY low mileage car (probably to the person who purchased my former RL).

So my advice is to walk through the downstream possibilities and decide if buying it now, though unusable - offers the security you seek for that price.

Thanks for sharing your experience & perspective. I certainly won't buy the CPO extension at $5K!
I suspect the terms ARE different new vs used and I believe the AcuraCare cost progresses with increased mileage on used, 10,20, 30K miles.

NOW the question, is AcuraCare eligibility increased to 62K miles/60mos or remain at the OEM 50K/48mos?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:54 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

If I understand your question correctly - the CPO warranty is longer than the original OEM warranty, but not tacked on. You pay more for a CPO car and part of the enticement is the CPO warranty is typically longer than the OEM factory warranty.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:59 AM
Racer

If I understand your question correctly - the CPO warranty is longer than the original OEM warranty, but not tacked on. You pay more for a CPO car and part of the enticement is the CPO warranty is typically longer than the OEM factory warranty.
The standard CPO coverage, 60mos/62K miles, offered and can't be "undone" according to this dealer, begs the question when eligibility ends to purchase AcuraCare anywhere, OEM or CPO?
Old 03-14-2017, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

This from the FAQ on the Curry Acura website, I am confused about this one but maybe you guys will understand it:

https://www.curryacuracare.com/faq.cfm

Old 03-17-2017, 07:11 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
The AcuraCare warranty is NOT $5000. The dealer is trying to sell you a load of crap. To get a ballpark figure, get a quote from Saccucci Honda here
Old 03-17-2017, 07:29 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I just requested a quote from Saccucci on a 16 Hybrid - 96 month 120k miles with zero deductible is $2195. I don't know what the dealer is trying to sell you but it ain't the acuraCare warranty.

If you buy from Saccucci, they'll also sell you the maintenance plan at cost - $855 for 48 month 60k plan which pays for all required maintenance.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

There are some good deals out there. But some states do not permit warranty purchases across state lines. In Florida, not only cannot I purchase from an a state other than my residency, all vendors in the state are fixed at the same price. Not everyone can competitive shop.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:56 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

There are some good deals out there. But some states do not permit warranty purchases across state lines. In Florida, not only cannot I purchase from an a state other than my residency, all vendors in the state are fixed at the same price. Not everyone can competitive shop.
Correct, but as far as I know, only Florida does that. That aside, the $2195 warranty from Saccucci can't cost $5000 in Florida - there isn't that much profit in the warranty.

When I bought my TSX warranty from Saccucci, it was about $400 cheaper than the same warranty from my dealer. Based on that, the MSRP of the Hybrid warranty should be well under $3000.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:41 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Florida is not the only state. Although I do not know which states currently regulate extended warranties as 'insurance' the Service Contracts Model Act by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (1995) a number of states have adopted legislation creating a regulatory scheme governing the sale and issuance of service contracts in those states and under the insurance regulations of those states. State laws being more fluid than federal laws, has lead to a patchwork of inconsistent regulatory schemes. The most common state regulatory schemes provide, in varying degrees, certain licensure requirements where the provider (seller) must be licensed with the Insurance Regulatory Board of the state in which they wish to sell. Florida is known as the most severely restrictive of this practice, but Texas and Ohio are currently looking to adopt the Florida model.

And my personal quotes for an extended AcuraCare warranty at purchase was $4700 for 8yr 100K miles w/ $0 deductible. If I were to purchase the same extended warranty today, with 19 months of ownership on the clock, the cost would be $5400 with a $250 deductible.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (03-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 10:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 15 Posts
In January I paid $1,615 for the 7 yr, 100k, zero deductible (D70 plan). New RLX SH with 1k miles on it.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:58 AM
Burning Brakes

In January 2016 I paid $1,505 for the D62 plan 6yr/120,000miles, new RLX SH with 637miles. That was in NY.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:02 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
A couple of years ago, I paid $2,269 for the 8 yr, 120,000 mile, 0 deductible AcuraCare warranty on my new RLX SH in MA. I didn't attempt any negotiation with my dealer on the warranty because I was already getting a (relatively small) discount on what was the first SH in the state, so I assume that was their standard price.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (03-19-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 07:41 AM
Racer

Clarification

To update the apparent discrepancy for AcuraCare coverage available through the various Honda/Acura dealers already mentioned.
If the car has more than 6,000 miles on the clock the maximum timeframe is 5years from warranty purchase date, it is NOT an extension of the OEM warranty. There is also an additional tariff, $50-150, as the mileage goes up i.e. 24-36K.
Given this info, you could eke out a little more time by waiting to say 3 1/2 years and buy the 5 yr plan thus providing 8 1/2 years coverage as long as it remains within the original 4yr/50K miles OEM coverage.
The following 2 users liked this post by stagefoursurvivor:
hondamore (03-27-2017), pgeorg (03-20-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 06:33 PM
Racer

Conclusion

There aren't many, nearly new, RLX hybrids out there and after researching many cars in a comparable class, I'll just have to be patient. Yes, there are a few but, I need to find the "right one".
I have no intention of dealing with sketchy dealers or well-worn used.
It took me 4-5 months to find the 2012 RL and I'm prepared to wait.
BTW, IMO, there are NO comparables offered by the competitors
The following 5 users liked this post by stagefoursurvivor:
hondamore (03-27-2017), Malibu Flyer (03-28-2017), moose66 (03-27-2017), pgeorg (03-27-2017), wilspainar (03-28-2017)