Honda Invests $1B in Acura

Old 03-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Honda Invests $1B in Acura

Not sure where I should post this, but since it looks like the RLX was a product of this investment I'd post it here....

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...oove-back.html

----------------------------------------------
After a near-death experience at Acura four years ago, Honda is now putting $1 billion into the brand, in order to make more appealing products for U.S. customers.

Following a 25-percent drop in sales since 2005, Acura is hoping to provide the US market with exciting luxury products like the new MDX crossover, the RLX flagship sedan and the NSX supercar, seen above.

According to an report by Bloomberg, luxury car sales bring in significant profits to automakers. With this big investment into Acura, Honda is looking to boost its profits, and gain momentum in the US luxury market again.

Acura is planning to use the NSX and RLX to bring customers into the dealership, and possibly get sales to their other, more affordable products. An important product will also involve the TLX, a replacement for the TL sport-sedan.

With a new style-guide and revamped products, Acura might be able to regain its momentum. However, unlike other luxury automakers, Acura isn’t aiming at emerging markets like China, and is instead focusing on the US, with the American markets providing more than half its sales and profits.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
The interesting thing is Acura had the largest increase of any premium/luxury brand in 2012 and now outsells everyone except BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus. And this is before we had a full year of RDX or ILX sales and before the release of the RLX.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:41 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
The interesting thing is Acura had the largest increase of any premium/luxury brand in 2012 and now outsells everyone except BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus.
Please also post link to the source(s) of the above sales figures.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
The data is available at goodcarbadcar website.

I think for 2012, Acura was a little behind Buick as well. I would not be surprised if Audi leapfrogged both Acura and Buick in 2013. A lot of momentum there!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
While this is a good, I am not sure that much of that went to their design studio.... I had such high hopes for the RLX but the exterior is just not "high-end" enough to match the price tag.... or more importantly to stand out from the other luxury sedans.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Ostrich...While I agree with you, it appears that the RLX looks much better in person than in pics. I have not seen one in the flesh so I am reserving my final judgement until then. In addition, flagship sedans are rarely the most "exciting" vehicles. They are a means to display the technological capabilities of the car and usually geared for a more mature audience who has achieved a higher financial status in their lives. I don't see a 27 year old taking an RLX home, dropping the suspension, putting on the bling bling wheels and body kit. It is suppose to be an elegant design, refined loaded with solid sophisticated drive (while responsive) and with reliable Technology....Something that Infiniti is having problems according to KeithL and why he is considering getting rid of his M.

Ultimately, the "MoJo" needs to be in the TLX with some trickling down tech from the RLX, this is where Acura/Honda will achieve their selling numbers and generate the revenues they so want.

ON a final note....I saw somewhere here that someone commented on the touch screen from the RLX as being fairly responsive, my question is the following: How are those screens going to be in -30C temperatures and when people try and operate them with their big winter gloves!! Tried using a Smartphone with gloves?

Should be interesting.....
The following users liked this post:
TLtrigirl (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
ON a final note....I saw somewhere here that someone commented on the touch screen from the RLX as being fairly responsive, my question is the following: How are those screens going to be in -30C temperatures and when people try and operate them with their big winter gloves!! Tried using a Smartphone with gloves?

Good thing the RLX has voice commands for everything too....
Old 03-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ Glad to see something has more intelligence than me *lol* Never thought of that....could be the few glasses of red wine
Old 03-03-2013, 02:37 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
the RLX looks and feels a lot better than words or pics can describe in person. you really do have to see and play in the car in person before passing judgement. my initial response to the debut in pics was eh...kind of bland and boring, like everyone else has pointed out. it was sort of like when the ILX came out...my initial response was, ok not a bad looking car. it looks good in person, but it does need a rear trunk lip spoiler on the back to make it look more complete. i drove behind one and decided i didnt' like the back end of the ILX.

i can only describe the RLX as a very handsome mature sedan. the lighting at night is sexy as hell from the rear esp. the touch screen is similar to using an iphone/ipad interface. the resolution of both the navi and the touch screen is so much better than the last iteration of honda touch screens (3G TL). most of the car's basic controls can be had from buttons or the steering wheel. acura was smart with this. mutliple ways of accessing the everyday controls unlike other makes (cough-BMW).

i think with most electronics...they dont like cold weather. i guess they tested this out at their winter testing grounds in MN and in their meat locker which is set for -40*F. most of the US doesn't see the type of frigid arctic temps like our neighbors to the north.

even when i attended my dealer's preview event, the GM knew this really wasn't a car i was looking to purchase in the future. i simply wanted to see what was new and exciting that acura had put out there with hopes that a good amount of it would trickle to the TLX. ultimately, it's the TLX that will garner the most buyers (ala 3G TL). just as the article pointed out...the RLX and the new NSX draws people in to see what is new and exciting and then see if the offerings in the other models could give consumers what they want at an affordable price point (or one they are willing to pay).
Old 03-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Here is the link:

http://247wallst.com/2012/12/26/the-...rs-in-america/

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Please also post link to the source(s) of the above sales figures.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Drifting

Ostrich...While I agree with you, it appears that the RLX looks much better in person than in pics. I have not seen one in the flesh so I am reserving my final judgement until then. In addition, flagship sedans are rarely the most "exciting" vehicles. They are a means to display the technological capabilities of the car and usually geared for a more mature audience who has achieved a higher financial status in their lives. I don't see a 27 year old taking an RLX home, dropping the suspension, putting on the bling bling wheels and body kit. It is suppose to be an elegant design, refined loaded with solid sophisticated drive (while responsive) and with reliable Technology....Something that Infiniti is having problems according to KeithL and why he is considering getting rid of his M.

Ultimately, the "MoJo" needs to be in the TLX with some trickling down tech from the RLX, this is where Acura/Honda will achieve their selling numbers and generate the revenues they so want.

Weather, I agree with you that I should reserve my judgment until I see the car in person.... I certainly didn't expect the flagship sedan to look "bling bling" (not that I like that anyway! LOL That's why I was shocked to see those ghetto rims on the RLX Concept... LOL) but I expected that it should look more upscale. When I study the design of BMW and MB, they are generally conservative in styling (with the exception of a few niche vehicles) but they have some very subtle design elements to make them look upscale. For instance, how they design and utilize the chrome trim, how they arrange the lights etc. make them look more exclusive and expensive. I am just not seeing that here. Perhaps the RLX really will look much nicer in person so I should just wait until then! :-)
Old 03-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Ostrich...I hear ya. BTW...do we know when the RLX will reach dealers in Canada?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Drifting

Ostrich...I hear ya. BTW...do we know when the RLX will reach dealers in Canada?
No, Weather, I have no idea! I wished that they would release the Canadian pricing soon though, esp. since we know about the US pricing now!

Given that the US pricing is already pretty "up there", they'd better not mark it up much more here!!! If they did, I cannot see how anyone would want to go and buy a $70K+ RLX in Canada.....
Old 03-04-2013, 11:39 PM
2G TLX-S

Canadian spec autos always carry a much higher price than the same ones sold in the US. Same with almost all products selling in Canada vs selling in the US.

This has to do with volume price breaks.

The US has 10x the population as Canada, and therefore consumes/purchases 10x the volume in goods.

Thus the only way to buy cheap cars is to buy them in the US and import them to Canada.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ I don't think Acura can use the "volume" excuse for this vehicle....it will not sell in EITHER market... PERIOD *lol*
Old 03-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Are exchange rates a factor in the difference between US and Canadian prices? Is there a difference in yen/USD and yen/Canadian dollar exchange rates?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 133 Posts
I saw the RLX in person yesterday and it is far more beautiful than shown in print. The only thing that I don't understand is the leather in it, didn't look any better than the tsx + tl ....it looked like synthetic fake stuff like that were used to nowadays.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kostantinos
I saw the RLX in person yesterday and it is far more beautiful than shown in print. The only thing that I don't understand is the leather in it, didn't look any better than the tsx + tl ....it looked like synthetic fake stuff like that were used to nowadays.
which trim level did you see? the base model does use synthetic leather.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

I wasn't aware there was more than 1 level
It had a sticker of 55k then like almost 1k in extra accesories I think
Old 03-06-2013, 12:09 AM
2G TLX-S

^^ I don't think Acura can use the "volume" excuse for this vehicle....it will not sell in EITHER market... PERIOD *lol*
But Acura has already finalized the sales projection (10:1 / US:Canada), the parts procurement, the factory schedule, and lastly the price tags.

So even if the RLX won't sell in either market, the pre-determined price tags will always stay put. This is when factory incentives come in.

With incentives, the final vehicle price will be lower, but the MSRP won't change.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:04 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kostantinos
I wasn't aware there was more than 1 level
It had a sticker of 55k then like almost 1k in extra accesories I think
RLX Base - Leatherette
RLX Tech and above - Milano premium leather

I was able to compare the Tech and Advance versions side-by-side. Even though there's not supposed to be a difference in the leather (according to the official brochure I was given by the sales guy), the leather in the Advance version seemed to have a softer touch.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by n-spring
RLX Base - Leatherette
No real Leather for the BASE? It's hard to differentiate yourself from a regular Honda if there is no LUX in the luxury brand.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
No real Leather for the BASE? It's hard to differentiate yourself from a regular Honda if there is no LUX in the luxury brand.
Nothing MB and BMW have not been doing for years and even Lexus has started as well. And sit in an A4 the leather is comparable to what Acura puts in a TSX/RDX, you need to go S4 with Fine Nappa Leather to get decent leather in Audi A4/S4.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

times are tough
they gotta skimp somewhere
Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I don't think we'll see many base RLX's on the dealer lots.