Here We Go Again...HomeLink

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:32 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts
Here We Go Again...HomeLink

Let me tell you my latest tale of Wo...
Just after picking up my RLX (A) less than a month ago I had a problem with the HomeLink System, so I called HomeLink and asked them for help. The young Lady went through a series of questions and we decided to start from scratch...New Battery, Initially that helped with the problem of Very-Very short range
trying to raise the garage door from outside the garage.
Fast forward to today, I had a appt. with my Acura dealer trying to get more range (distance) during actuation of the garage door.
Being on the right coast and the Tech Support are on the Left Coast I waited.
Your not going to believe what Acura told my service adviser.....Wait for it!!!!!!

"Have to Service Tech take the vehicle to his home and see if he can solve the problem!"
It seems that Acura doesn't have a troubleshooting schematic for the HomeLink Sys....

I think the problem is a weak signal coming from the HomeLink System, but you would think the "Boy Wonders" at Acura would go to the Manufacture (of HomeLink) and ask them how they verify signal strength???
We that had CB systems on Motorcycles would use a signal strength meter to test the output strength and radius of the signal, so the technology should still be there...
I have verified the satisfactory operation using different Garage Door Remotes (also of different age, Scrolling vs Static Code)...
Now this can't be Very Difficult, can it?

I told the service advisor that I'll be on a 2week trip and that should give them ample time to figure this out...

Any thoughts from you'all??

Last edited by victorber; 08-12-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by victorber
Let me tell you my latest tale of Wo...
Just after picking up my RLX (A) less than a month ago I had a problem with the HomeLink System, so I called HomeLink and asked them for help. The young Lady went through a series of questions and we decided to start from scratch...New Battery, Initially that helped with the problem of Very-Very short range
trying to raise the garage door from outside the garage.
Fast forward to today, I had a appt. with my Acura dealer trying to get more range (distance) during actuation of the garage door.
Being on the right coast and the Tech Support are on the Left Coast I waited.
Your not going to believe what Acura told my service adviser.....Wait for it!!!!!!

"Have to Service Tech take the vehicle to his home and see if he can solve the problem!"
It seems that Acura doesn't have a troubleshooting schematic for the HomeLink Sys....

I think the problem is a weak signal coming from the HomeLink System, but you would think the "Boy Wonders" at Acura would go to the Manufacture (of HomeLink) and ask them how they verify signal strength???
We that had CB systems on Motorcycles would use a signal strength meter to test the output strength and radius of the signal, so the technology should still be there...
I have verified the satisfactory operation using different Garage Door Remotes (also of different age, Scrolling vs Static Code)...
Now this can't be Very Difficult, can it?

I told the service advisor that I'll be on a 2week trip and that should give them ample time to figure this out...

Any thoughts from you'all??
Homelink is manufactured for Acura by Johnson Controls. It is not a new system, however, the RLX is a new car. While it might be frustrating to have the problem in the first place, I'm guessing the technical side of that requires two companies technical departments to talk to each other. Each one is probably trying to determine where the issue lies.

If I was in your shoes, I contact my sales consultant and see if he could bring a different car to your house to see if it functions differently with your receiver in the garage.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Colin..As you know, I have the utmost respect for you as a contributor on Acurazine. You are a straight shooter and are always willing to help people here so I am always respectful of what you say.

That being said, the homelink problem is not just an RLX problem but as you know, even the 2013 RDX (and newer models) have that problem as well. My 2012 TL is no problem whatsoever but the RDX is very touchy....
Old 08-12-2013, 07:15 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

Hey Colin,
Totally agree with you. I think the problem lies in the location of the HomeLink installation as there is an abundance of electronics (Sensors, Cameras etc.) in that location and it could be something as simple as a misrouted antenna.
It is difficult to come from a vehicle that the system operated flawlessly from 50-60 meters away, to now where I almost have top be touching the door before it operates...
Old 08-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by weather
That being said, the homelink problem is not just an RLX problem but as you know, even the 2013 RDX (and newer models) have that problem as well. My 2012 TL is no problem whatsoever but the RDX is very touchy....
Maybe I don't spend enough time in service or actual garage doors are more rare here (they are), but this is the first I've heard of consistent problems with recent cars. My last car with homelink was the 2008 TSX and it worked fine.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:04 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

I just happened to scan the RDX site for any similar problems with the HomeLink system, WOW, 27 with all the problems identified I cannot believe Acura has not taken care of this problem!
Scary....
Old 08-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ WOW, that's interesting! Maybe it's a good thing that the ILX Premium doesn't have Homelink!? I guess they'll have to work with the vendor to engineer a fix. I'd be curious what the relationship (allegedly) between new batteries and better range was in the earlier attempted fix?
Old 08-13-2013, 07:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I have no problem on my '14 RLX with the Homelink. The range is acceptable to me - before I turn into my driveway I activate it with no problem. Now, granted, the door may not be fully open and I have to wait a few seconds before I can park. This Homelink was the easiest one for me to program out of the 5 I have had.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
I have no problem at all with the HomeLink in the 2014 MDX. I got it to pair with the garage opener on the first try and works every time since then.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I've noticed that the Homelink button on my RL works slightly differently than my wife's MDX. With my RL, I can push and hold the button (one second) and the garage door will open from a good 30 yards away. With my wife's MDX, if I push and hold the button for a second, the door won't open at all and instead I need to push the button quickly and release it quickly for the door to open at a distance.

What I'm trying to say is that victorber may have to sit at the end of his driveway and experiment with quick push vs long push on the garage door opener button of the homelink to determine which works best to get the homelink to send the type of signal that his garage door opener is expecting. Just a pure guess/stupid suggestion based on my experience with the two different homelink units.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:48 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

Colin, The new battery was a recommendation from the technical support person at "HomeLink", her recommendation was based on her experience and stated a fresh battery provided a stronger signal, during setup.
About that time I was willing to try anything including hanging by my feet, if I thought it would work.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Colin, The new battery was a recommendation from the technical support person at "HomeLink", her recommendation was based on her experience and stated a fresh battery provided a stronger signal, during setup.
About that time I was willing to try anything including hanging by my feet, if I thought it would work.
Haruuuumph....I could be wrong here, but IMO, these are digital devices. Signal strength shouldn't be an issue as long as there IS signal. I don't think you need to hang by your feet, but try pairing when there is a full moon out. The gravitational effect of the moon might have some sway on the electromagnetic field....LOL.

On a more serious note. If you're unwilling to wait till Acura figures it out, maybe you could get a range extender antenna for your garage door opener? I've seen them on Amazon for ~$30-40. Probably not the most optimal solution, but it might be that or use the stock 'clicker' for now.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:53 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I know nobody cares, but my '04 TL has the same problem. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't from outside the garage. It always seems to work from inside the garage from what I recall. I don't use the HomeLink button anymore. I roll old school - I just use the garage remote.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:05 AM
RLX Advanced #3606

Researching the problem came upon the following DIY Fix:
A simple and very effective (cheap) DIY fix...
I know this is an old thread, but Google is still pointing people (me) to it, so I figured I'd share my resolution.

I have a Genie with the standard built-in receiver. It was working great until I installed an IP camera in my garage. Even though it's not wifi, it puts off enough RF that it jams my opener from anything more than about 10'.

I read the posts here with interest, but in the end, figured I needed to RELOCATE the original antenna. The idea of lengthening the antenna seemed too dependent on the tuned frequency. So I figured having a shielded wire to run to the front of my garage might do the trick. It did. I used a standard RCA stereo cable (12').

If anyone stumbles upon this thread and wants to try my resolution, here's how... It'll take all of about an hour to do:
  1. Find the dangling wire that exits the head unit.
  2. Remove the necessary covers to determine how it is attached to the circuit board. Chances are, it's simply soldered on. If that's the case, de-solder it and set the wire aside. There ought to be a ground point somewhere very close to the antenna solder point. Identify and note it's location.
  3. Using a standard RCA cable (the kind you'd use for analog stereo/video signals) of appropriate length (however long you need it to be to get to the very front of your garage), cut off both ends.
  4. Remove just the outer (probably black or grey) insulation on the end that will be connected to the opener.
  5. Separate the inner shielded insulator (likely white), and the braided wire shield. Take care to keep the inner insulation from being damaged at the point where it goes into the shielding.
  6. Solder the center conductor to where the original dangling wire was attached on the circuit board.
  7. Solder the shielding wire to the closest ground point on the board. Obviously, make sure you don't short out anything with the bare wires. Also, make sure that as you heat the shielding wire, that it doesn't melt the center conductor insulation.
  8. On the other end of the long RCA cable, cut the wire shielding back about an inch from the end so that only the center insulation and conductor are visible.
  9. Attach the original wire to the center conductor. For neatness, put some heat shrink tubing (or electric tape) around the solder point.
  10. Mount the original wire vertically, in the space between the top of the door and the ceiling.

I did this, and can now open my door from about 300' - which is about 3x better than it was before I installed the IP camera.

I actually soldered a little pigtail with a female RCA connector to the board, and another one to the original antenna wire. That way, I could use any standard RCA cable (with male ends) without cutting the ends off. Plus, I can remove the wire if needed.

Hope this helps someone.

E.

And a kit from Gatehouse Remote Controls Entry Systems:
http://www.gatehousesupplies.com/Ant...FQrf4AodW3oF0w
The following 3 users liked this post by victorber:
hondamore (08-14-2013), miner (08-14-2013), wstr75 (08-29-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
The Homelink in the last 5 Acura's that I've owned have been very easy to program and reliable. I had a MB and Audi and it took me 20 minutes to get it working on the same garage doors. With my Acuras its taken less than 5 minutes and I never think about it again until it's time to turn the car in. The new RLX and MDX seem to be in that same category so far. I wonder if Colin is on to something with the range extender. It may be something with the opener. Mine are Lift Master.

Another source of info on the subject may be your local garage door opener installer. One that carries the brand of opener that you have. I have had problems with my outdoor remote and they were very generous with DIY advice. Just a thought.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:01 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

Yo Brother,
My Garage Door Openers is currently and has always been a Craftsman. Since installing it about 7yrs ago it has never faltered in its operation and that is thru 3Acura TL's that's until the RLX...

I've become so frustrated that this afternoon I cut and pasted and put together a Parabolic extender and installed it on the antenna.....to no avail... Needless to say my wife is starting to really starting to wonder about me and my obsessions.

Tell you the truth I may consider VooDoo as my next approach to fix the problem...

Last edited by victorber; 08-14-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ or get your wife to go open the garage door *lol* Almost like the remote in the Flintstones
Old 08-15-2013, 12:00 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
The Homelink 'repeater' on Amazon is not the same as a range extender. The repeater is a device that allows older Homelink devices to work with the new Homelink openers. The 'repeater' is really an interpreter, but I don't think it will extend your range.

The antenna kit that Victorber pointed out would probably help.

Some years ago many owners of E46 BMWs were having range problems with their homelink units which were just remotes made to be built into the overhead roof liner. Those units and I'm sure the same for the Honda units, have a built in antenna. The antenna was very inefficient and some felt the metal roof was attenuating the signal further. Some took the unit apart and attached aluminum strips to the antennas and wrapped them outside the homelink unit. Then re-installed it. You couldn't see it from the outside. This seemed to work for some.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:11 AM
RLX Advanced #3606

Each time I use the Homelink I try to re-think the problem and keep coming to the same conclusion, the problem is not with the GDO but with the HL system, all other GD remotes work as should with more than acceptable range.
I am wondering if their isn't a problem between models of vehicles (MDX, RLX, RDX) and the output signal quality. This may be based on EMI due to the other electronics in the HL installed location. When you activate the HL, you are sending a signal which is paired with your GD opener. If the signal is restricted or degraded based on low voltage, you end up having a reduced range to activate the GD opener.
What provides the power of the signal to the HL unit? If the HL switches are not direct wired but are pigtailed or daisy-chained from other accessories (to save weight and space) in the upper console this could provide an answer.....
Wonder what would occur if I start shutting down the other accessories to isolate the problem either the system will shutdown completely (due to lack of power) or power will by-pass the disconnected accessories and provide more power to the HL unit.
Hmmm need a system schematic to diagnose.

Oh, come on Acura, the owner shouldn't have to T/S the problem!

Last edited by victorber; 08-15-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Each time I use the Homelink I try to re-think the problem and keep coming to the same conclusion, the problem is not with the GDO but with the HL system, all other GD remotes work as should with more than acceptable range.
I am wondering if their isn't a problem between models of vehicles (MDX, RLX, RDX) and the output signal quality. This may be based on EMI due to the other electronics in the HL installed location. When you activate the HL, you are sending a signal which is paired with your GD opener. If the signal is restricted or degraded based on low voltage, you end up having a reduced range to activate the GD opener.
What provides the power of the signal to the HL unit? If the HL switches are not direct wired but are pigtailed or daisy-chained from other accessories (to save weight and space) in the upper console this could provide an answer.....
Wonder what would occur if I start shutting down the other accessories to isolate the problem either the system will shutdown completely (due to lack of power) or power will by-pass the disconnected accessories and provide more power to the HL unit.
Hmmm need a system schematic to diagnose.

Oh, come on Acura, the owner shouldn't have to T/S the problem!
I seriously doubt if it is voltage related since the system probably runs on 9v or 12V same as the remote controls do.. However, RF interference from the mobile assistance buttons in the console are a possibility. However, keep in mind that just because the buttons are located on the front headliner, does not mean that the physical antenna for the cellular link is located in the same place.

I wonder if there is a fuse you can pull that would disable the Acuralink cellular data connection? If this was independent of the homelink circuit and not bunched together under one "instrument panel" fuse it might be possible to isolate the two. Of course, the other alternative would be to consider a range extending antenna on the door motor itself to "punch through" the (assumed) interference. If it was me troubleshooting this, I still want to test a second RLX with your garage door to see if it behaves the same. You would also want to be sure that this car had the same data package connection activated that you do.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:39 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

^^ Colin,
I would totally agree with you but my GDO Remotes run on a CR2032 Button battery and it is only a 3volt battery. So if the HL is being powered by a 9 or 12v that would/should be more than sufficient.
I tried a Parabolic range extender yesterday but didn't have any luck with that...
Old 08-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Colin,
I would totally agree with you but my GDO Remotes run on a CR2032 Button battery and it is only a 3volt battery. So if the HL is being powered by a 9 or 12v that would/should be more than sufficient.
I tried a Parabolic range extender yesterday but didn't have any luck with that...
I was only guessing on the voltage requirements, regardless I can't imagine it would be any more than the normal 12 V that all the car's electronics work on. If the range extender didn't help you, then we need to isolate whether it's only your car that is behaving this way.

Of course, the other variable is, "why did it work better for a short period of time?". Once again, I cannot understand why changing the remote control battery during the programming process improved the range when you're not using the remote control for opening and closing the door there after. Unless I'm misunderstanding what happened earlier.
The following users liked this post:
victorber (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
OP: do you have a keyless entry GD opener mounted outside on your house?
I read somewhere that a low battery in a nearby remote can cause interference
victorber (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 03:19 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

^^ Colin,
The HL system works, it just does not have the range it should. I've got to be square infront of door and with in 12-18inches before it will activate. The miniature GDO remote will activate the door from 3-4 houses away and the door will be fully open as I'm approaching the driveway threshold.
I'm not really sure why the new battery had any more effect, then the old one. It may have been an experience level thing as a starting point. I would really wonder how many people may have had a dead battery when they called???
I went a hunting the fuses and as much electronics as is installed there weren't that may fuses, one fuse box in the r/h passenger kick-panel and the two others under the hood. Nothing was ID'd as Homelink or the other sub-systems.

Last edited by victorber; 08-15-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:40 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

^^getakey,
Yes I have another Keyless remote mounted to the side of the Garage Door vertical support and I have already changed out the battery and reprogramed it.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I read some other posts that suggest to keep reprogramming the homelink a few times to see if it gets better. May not be capturing the signal correctly.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:30 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

Thanks, I'll try it again and let you know how it goes...
Old 08-17-2013, 02:13 AM
Summer is Coming

Two more things I can think of....

- Reprogram the car remote making sure you have a fresh battery in the GDO remote. Before you do this, clear out the old programming however the manual says. Usually you hold two of the buttons down at the same time. Also, try holding the remote at different distances from the HL unit in the car. ie... 2-3", then 3-4", then 4-5" etc and see if that makes a difference. I don't have an RLX but I've noticed on my own car that these things can make a difference in the range I get from my car unit. I normally hold the remote right pretty much right up against the car HL unit.

- The next thing I'd try is to remove the HL unit from the overhead trim. I'm sure there is a way to get it out. Look to see if there is an antenna coming from the unit. The antenna may be grounded against a metal surface which could attenuate the signal. Not sure if the antenna is outside or inside the HL unit. You may have to do some exploring.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:29 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

^^Thanks Rocket_man, I have re-tried four times usin the GDO Learn button to bypass the GD Remote.
I sent a email off to Acura and received a response trying to smooth over the problem. The rep said he will try to coordinate a conference call with the dealer Service Mgr. on Tuesday...
We will see what happens then...

He indicated that Acura doesn't hold these Forums in high regard as to accuracy, I hinted that if Acura wanted to learn about their product from the owners POV they should at least, monitor them!

Last edited by victorber; 08-17-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Summer is Coming

^^Thanks Rocket_man, I have re-tried four times usin the GDO Learn button to bypass the GD Remote.
I sent a email off to Acura and received a response trying to smooth over the problem. The rep said he will try to coordinate a conference call with the dealer Service Mgr. on Tuesday...
We will see what happens then...

He indicated that Acura doesn't hold these Forums in high regard as to accuracy, I hinted that if Acura wanted to learn about their product from the owners POV they should at least, monitor them!
If Acura acknowledged they monitored these forums then they'd have to own up to the various issues that owners on here have found with their cars, like the awful rear struts in the RDX and ILX that Acura wants to convince owners are just 'normal' behavior. I see that in your future.... "this appears to be normal behavior for this car." Its a shame really that Acura believes themselves over the owners of their products. Just like that days of the bad Honda Transmissions (which included me) that Honda tried their hardest to ignore until they just couldn't any longer. Sometimes to Honda and Acura the Earth looks flat and no one can tell them otherwise.

Best of luck. If this is the biggest issue you have with your new car I think you are doing pretty well actually. It is a very nice car. Enjoy.

Last edited by Rocket_man; 08-19-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:39 AM
RLX Advanced #3606

^^ Just to bring everyone online , up to speed on the HL situation:
I have sent off an email to Acura Client Relations and they have responded positively: requesting all info on the problem and engr. is opening a case file to investigate the problem and provide a solution.

Will keep the board advised on the status.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:37 AM
RLX Advanced #3606

Just a status update:

Had discussions with both Acura and the dealership and the plan is to bring out another RLX and attempt to duplicate the problem. Acura wants to get pixs of the driveway elevation and view from the outside.

Plan is to go back and discuss with Acura Engr. as to a repair or replacement for the troublesome HL.

Currently the operation of the HL is very intermittent at best. Although the GDO's work fine without any problems.

Will keep the forum updated.
The following 2 users liked this post by victorber:
Colin (08-22-2013), miner (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Thank you for the update...we are Acura's best troubleshooters.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I have an RLX 2014 and checked out the Garage Door Opener. My 2 bay garage uses a 3/4 HP Craftsman (Sears) opener about 4 years old and the garage door is mostly Aluminum. I just checked. The Craftsman opener will open the door from 180 feet away and the RLX opener will open the door form 126 feet away. It could be that some garage door Signal Receivers or some Acura Transmitters are slightly "Off Frequency" - This would require that the two units be in very close proximity of one another. Signal center frequency match/overlap should be something like 1121212122 and not 1111212222 or 11111 22222. Mike Landon
victorber (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

^^Mike,
Glad to see some info regarding the freq operation for the GDO's, I didn't have a clew...
Thanks.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Summer is Coming

Just a status update:

Had discussions with both Acura and the dealership and the plan is to bring out another RLX and attempt to duplicate the problem. Acura wants to get pixs of the driveway elevation and view from the outside.

Plan is to go back and discuss with Acura Engr. as to a repair or replacement for the troublesome HL.

Currently the operation of the HL is very intermittent at best. Although the GDO's work fine without any problems.

Will keep the forum updated.
Well it is refreshing to see they are making such an effort to fix it. If they program the other car with your remote, make sure they clear out the HL programming when they are done (hold down the outside HL buttons I think for something line 20 seconds).
victorber (08-23-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 10:14 AM
RLX Advanced #3606

Status Update 8/29/13:
Dealership brought out another RLXand tried to reprogram the HL in mine. Didn't change anything.
Tried the dealership RLX and got it to activate the door from the driveway threshold.
Next step: Confirm with Acura Engr. the problem the problem as originally stated and come up with a repair.

Will advise...
Old 05-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
See TSB 15-023 - HomeLink System Has Weak or Limited Range in the TSB sticky thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...thread-921955/
hondamore (05-23-2015)
Old 05-23-2015, 05:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Wow, almost two years later...we finally have a fix.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:03 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The Homelink on my SH was horrible. I practically had to back into the door before it worked.

But I did have the TSB applied when I went back to the dealer for some accessories. It is great now equally that of the RL. I can trigger my door as soon as I turn onto my street. It also triggers the security gate at a family member's home far enough away that the slow opening gate it wide enough to drive through without slowing down.

I also have a Homelink system on the boat, and like the remote start of the car, I can trigger the boat's security to disable and the A/C to turn on before I leave the marina parking lot to board.

Now if I can get it to deliver a pizza, my world is complete.