Heated Windshield? Really?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 09:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Heated Windshield? Really?

So since the switches by my left knee are generally hidden from view by the steering wheel in the MDX Sport Hybrid, I just realized purely by accident that a switch was on with an amber light and I did not remember turning it on. In fact I never bothered to figure out what that particular switch was. So I looked it up and discovered it is a heated windshield switch! Really???? Apparently it turns on automatically but I never knew it. Is this switch in the Advance model of the RLX Sport Hybrid? 7 months with the MDX SH and found something new tonight! Awesome!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Another OEM reason to be able to only buy a replacement shield through Acura. Is there a defrost on the climate control?
Old 01-04-2018, 09:03 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Is this switch in the Advance model of the RLX Sport Hybrid?
It's called a "front windshield de-icer" for 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid.

I don't remember when the item showed up in the Advance Pkg, but I remember being jealous. :-)
Old 01-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

So exactly what does it warm? The defroster blows warm/hot air on the bottom of the window, but what does the de-icer do? Sorry for the stupid question. I wish we had heated wiper blades.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
ok - now you have me looking at those buttons down there.
I assume the lower right button is the heated windshield? Didn't know I had that either
Top right turns on/off road departure mitigation. there is a message displayed in dash when goes On or Off
What about the other 2 buttons - no light and no message that I can see when I hit either button

top right looks like it may turn off traction control, but I see no confirmation of off or on
Old 01-04-2018, 03:11 PM
Grandpa

So exactly what does it warm?
I'm assuming that this is identical to what happens on the Canadian market cars; namely, it activates tiny filaments that heat up the glass.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:47 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Wow. Don't any of you guys read the manuals cover to cover when you get a new car?
Old 01-04-2018, 05:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Wait there is a manual? I must have missed that item when I was reading it 3 years ago. Oh well.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:50 PM
Safety Car

The MDX Hybrid manual is very weak. That said, the buttons are probably in there. I'll look.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:02 PM
Safety Car

OK - the other 2 buttons are Traction control (or Stability Assist) On/Off and Collision Mitigation On/Off
You have to hold the button until beep is heard and then message will appear
Old 01-04-2018, 06:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 06:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by getakey
OK - the other 2 buttons are Traction control (or Stability Assist) On/Off and Collision Mitigation On/Off
You have to hold the button until beep is heard and then message will appear
OOOOOOO. So now I can find an empty parking lot and do some donuts! I'm I mean go to Dunkin Donuts and get some donuts.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:48 PM
Safety Car

if you are doing donuts only turn Stability off; keep CMBS on
Old 01-04-2018, 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
So exactly what does it warm? The defroster blows warm/hot air on the bottom of the window, but what does the de-icer do? Sorry for the stupid question. I wish we had heated wiper blades.
I was so surprised to see they added this for the 2017 model year on the MDX because it’s typically only reserved for very very expensive vehicles. See those thick lines in your window that heat up when you turn on the rear defroster? Your front windshield also has those lines but you have to look really closely and focus on the glass in good lighting to see them because they are so thin. I bought a 2009 Touareg and found out it had a heated windshield after the fact, I thought the glass was dirty for the first 2 weeks until the sun hit it at the right angle and I seen the individual lines. It’s an amazing feature and you can say goodbye to frost ridden windshields! Sidenote: While this feature is lovely, the cost of a replacement windshield can be painful (think $900-$1500 on some vehicles with it).

Last edited by RDX10; 01-04-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:54 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by RDX10
It’s an amazing feature and you can say goodbye to frost ridden windshields!
I agree with you that being able to move this option down scale to more reasonably priced vehicles is one of the more useful developments in options that we've seen the past couple of years.

:-)

Love the idea. But, of course, having a 2014 KC2, I don't have it.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:17 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Jalopnik had an article talking about what you dont do with an ice covered wind shield...
in the comments, someone showed a picture of, I think, it was a suburu with the defroster lines at the base of the windshield to heat up the wipers! i thought that was cool!
Old 01-05-2018, 07:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
It's called a "front windshield de-icer" for 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid.

I don't remember when the item showed up in the Advance Pkg, but I remember being jealous. :-)
I don't see this option on my '16 RLX SH. Typically it would be of no use to me here in NC. But over the last couple of days, it would have been handy!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

^^
Not offered on the 2016-2017 RLX

2018 gets it though, but its integrated on the same button as the rear window - mirrors defrost button.
moose66 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 11:23 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
I'm assuming that this is identical to what happens on the Canadian market cars; namely, it activates tiny filaments that heat up the glass.
You got me briefly excited that I had this in my SH, but alas, it's only in the 2018 apparently. But I do have headlight washers - whatever little value that offers... My car is rarely dirty enough to benefit from that feature.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Limelight
. . . . . But I do have headlight washers - whatever little value that offers... My car is rarely dirty enough to benefit from that feature.
Huge value to me. Would love to have had them on my car yesterday when I was out tooling around in the aftermath of the storm here in NC. My car has never been this filthy. I cleaned the headlights and taillights when I stopped to fill up. Drove home less than 5 miles away and it looks like I did nothing. Yuck! Really could use those washers!
Limelight (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 01:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by moose66
Huge value to me. Would love to have had them on my car yesterday when I was out tooling around in the aftermath of the storm here in NC. My car has never been this filthy. I cleaned the headlights and taillights when I stopped to fill up. Drove home less than 5 miles away and it looks like I did nothing. Yuck! Really could use those washers!
They do come in handy the few times per year when it's a bad storm at night and the headlights get covered in salt. What I dislike however, is how they will automatically engage when you clean your windshield (there is also a button on the dash to activate the just headlight washers).

For example, if a bird poops on my windshield and I engage the windshield washer, the headlight washers automatically activate and spray fluid all over the front and hood of my car. Very frustrating when you've just recently detailed your car and only want to clean the windshield. I know, problems of the spoiled...
Old 01-07-2018, 04:37 AM
Suzuka Master

I agree with you that being able to move this option down scale to more reasonably priced vehicles is one of the more useful developments in options that we've seen the past couple of years.

:-)

Love the idea. But, of course, having a 2014 KC2, I don't have it.
Kia and Hyundai have been including heated windshield wiper elements in their cars since 2007 (but they only hat the lower edge of the windshield where the wipers rest. They do nothing for ice buildup on the windshield though so a heated windshield is amazing. I usually park in the garage but I remember a few times last winter where I had to park my MDX outside and the next morning the windshield was absolutely caked in a thick sheet of ice and I was running late...literally drove for 10 minutes half blind!

Originally Posted by justnspace
Jalopnik had an article talking about what you dont do with an ice covered wind shield...
in the comments, someone showed a picture of, I think, it was a suburu with the defroster lines at the base of the windshield to heat up the wipers! i thought that was cool!
As I mentioned above, Kia and Hyundai have been icluding this as standard since 2007. If you look at the base of the windshield from the outside you’ll see the heating elements. It’s not super effective IME but still a nice touch I guess.
Originally Posted by Limelight
They do come in handy the few times per year when it's a bad storm at night and the headlights get covered in salt. What I dislike however, is how they will automatically engage when you clean your windshield (there is also a button on the dash to activate the just headlight washers).

For example, if a bird poops on my windshield and I engage the windshield washer, the headlight washers automatically activate and spray fluid all over the front and hood of my car. Very frustrating when you've just recently detailed your car and only want to clean the windshield. I know, problems of the spoiled...
Headlight washers are garbage, I’ve had them on numerous cars over the past several years (X5, Touareg, MDX) and all they really do is make a massive mess all over my hood and bumper. It’s especially frustrating when I’ve just washed my car recently and it’s still clean but need to clean the windshield and the whole hood gets nasty. Starting in 2010 lexus actually found a solution for this, in the 2010 RX they have the hood overlapping the headlights and the washers aimed in a way such that the overlapping hood stops overspray from going onto the hood (a salesman was showing us this feature when we were going to buy an RX a few years ago).
Old 01-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Here's my take on headlight washers...I think that the reason you are using the headlight washers is because you have been driving on wet, dirty roads and the dirt is actively building up on the headlights. If that is the case, the fact that a bit of washer fluid has sprayed on the hood or bumper is moot because most of the car is covered in the same dirty muck as the headlights.

This has been my experience driving in melting conditions when the road gravel and sand mixes with the melting ice and snow and makes a mess over everything. The headlight washers are meant to be a stop gap measure to get you safely where you need to go and to get by until you do a proper car wash to rinse off the salt and dirt from your car.

Regarding the electric windshield defroster, I think that is a great idea for short term use while the engine warms and makes the traditional windshield defroster more effective. I hope to be buying an MDX Sport Hybrid for my wife very soon and I look forward to trying it out.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Wow, I didn't have a heated windshield in my 2014 RLX.

Sorry for the long absence, folks! Real life has been interesting.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
Malibu Flyer (01-08-2018), pgeorg (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 01:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Curious.. what is the cost to replace a heated windshield? Do aftermarket options exist, for those who don't want to get hosed by dealership prices?

People who rely on their defrost setting to keep the inside of the car warm, generally develop big cracks in their windshields... a chip in the glass, plus hot heat on the inside and cold weather on the outside cause the glass to fracture. I wonder how a heated windshield stands up to that scenario... like, do you risk rock chips turning into cracks if you use it?
Old 01-07-2018, 01:14 PM
Safety Car

Speaking of long absences - anyone hear from Tampa?
Old 01-07-2018, 03:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't recall the last time we heard from Tampa now that I think about it. It has been a while. I hope he is ok.

On a less important topic, after the Blackbird sat in the cold for days, I went to start it and it was dead as a door nail. After a jump start and driving it for a while, all was fine, however this is not the first time for this experience and with a new battery I assumed that would be in the past. I guess not. Hey its 11 degrees! We are having a heat wave!
Old 01-07-2018, 05:29 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
It's been between -5 and +10 degrees for the past few days here. I didn't drive the SH-AWD for two days and when I went to use it the battery was (surprisingly) fine. But I think I'm now pushing my luck with the original 3+ year old battery. Maybe time to get a new one, although I had the dealer test it when I was recently in for a broken window switch and they said it was still in normal range. At least I'm still carrying my DBPOWER battery starter (which, BTW, seems to have lost only a % or two of its charge every six months when I check it).
pgeorg (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 11:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hondamore
Here's my take on headlight washers...I think that the reason you are using the headlight washers is because you have been driving on wet, dirty roads and the dirt is actively building up on the headlights. If that is the case, the fact that a bit of washer fluid has sprayed on the hood or bumper is moot because most of the car is covered in the same dirty muck as the headlights.

This has been my experience driving in melting conditions when the road gravel and sand mixes with the melting ice and snow and makes a mess over everything. The headlight washers are meant to be a stop gap measure to get you safely where you need to go and to get by until you do a proper car wash to rinse off the salt and dirt from your car.

Regarding the electric windshield defroster, I think that is a great idea for short term use while the engine warms and makes the traditional windshield defroster more effective. I hope to be buying an MDX Sport Hybrid for my wife very soon and I look forward to trying it out.
I am sure there is a reason they are mandatory in so many European countries so maybe I am wrong. I just haven't ever felt like I was missing out on cars that didn;t have them so I'm not really sure to be honest.

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Curious.. what is the cost to replace a heated windshield? Do aftermarket options exist, for those who don't want to get hosed by dealership prices?

People who rely on their defrost setting to keep the inside of the car warm, generally develop big cracks in their windshields... a chip in the glass, plus hot heat on the inside and cold weather on the outside cause the glass to fracture. I wonder how a heated windshield stands up to that scenario... like, do you risk rock chips turning into cracks if you use it?
They are very expensive, something like $1000-$2000 so to me it's not worth it. In terms of aftermarket options, I am not sure, but if there was they would be way more than a normal windshield too.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:58 PM
RLX SH²-AWD

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Here is a Youtube video of the Heated Front Windshield for the 2018 TLX

Also, there are several other nice features the TLX has but the RLX doesn't have, such as, Automatic High Beam and Ambient Accent Lighting

Here are the Acura Youtube videos for both:

Old 01-25-2018, 08:41 PM
Safety Car

The MDX has auto high beam at least in the Advance
What am I missing in the heated windshield video? It showed nothing.

Yesterday, it was raining and I backed out of parking spot. The rear wiper swiped a couple times. I don't think I accidentally hit the button. Did not do it today under similar circumstances. This is on my MDX
Old 01-26-2018, 06:37 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by getakey
Yesterday, it was raining and I backed out of parking spot. The rear wiper swiped a couple times. I don't think I accidentally hit the button. Did not do it today under similar circumstances. This is on my MDX
I suspect if the MDX has rain sensing wipers like the RLX (which I assume it does), then the vehicle knew it was raining and when you put it in reverse, it will automatically clean the rear window for you. Just slightly more advanced tech than on my wife's 2006 Honda Odyssey. If her front wipers are activated and she reverses, the rear wiper will engage automatically without her initiating anything. The logic makes sense - if your front wipers are on, then it's raining so the vehicle cleans the rear window when reverse is engaged so you can see better. Perhaps on the second day, your MDX wasn't sensing the rain for whatever reason.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:24 AM
Burning Brakes

^^
You need to have the windshield wiper lever to "Auto", or to "On", if you want the rear windshield wiper to go on automatically when you engage reverse.....

At least that is how its on my 2014 MDX.