Have you had many people flash their headlights at you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts

I don't remember lots of people flashing their head lights at me previously but 8 people did that tonight. I pulled over to see if they looked out of alignment, but they looked perfect. So what gives? Are the RLX headlights brighter than BMW or MB LED headlights? I don't think so. Maybe it is the 18 lights including the fogs? Kind of peculiar. What do you all think?
Old 09-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Hi! I just happened to see your post on the homepage and thought I would share my experience that I have had the last couple of months. I drive a 2013 Accord V6 touring and people are constantly flashing their lights at me, and once was in the daytime! I was leaving for work the other morning about 5:30 and a car turned onto the street I was on and immediately began flashing their lights. I turned mine on bright to let them know I did not have them on bright. I turned them off bright and they turned their back on bright so I repeated. I think they finally got it, but it is a little frustrating because I rarely ever use bright mode because the LEDs light up the road extremely well.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:53 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts
Well, no. I did have the headlight recall done recently, and the new ones were definitely 'shining uphill' compared to the way they were from the factory. (Particularly noticeable how the lights shine against the left or right concrete divider when driving next to one on the highway). I was worried about such a reaction. But the dealer adjusted them and they are similar in aim height again to the factory settings.
So before, and now, no flashes from the oncoming motorists.
But I do like the illumination width of the headlight system.
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 08:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bamagirl77
Hi! I just happened to see your post on the homepage and thought I would share my experience that I have had the last couple of months. I drive a 2013 Accord V6 touring and people are constantly flashing their lights at me, and once was in the daytime! I was leaving for work the other morning about 5:30 and a car turned onto the street I was on and immediately began flashing their lights. I turned mine on bright to let them know I did not have them on bright. I turned them off bright and they turned their back on bright so I repeated. I think they finally got it, but it is a little frustrating because I rarely ever use bright mode because the LEDs light up the road extremely well.
The lights are amazing. Probably in the top five of the best lights in any car right now. The width and depth is unparalleled. I thought the first time was someone telling me a cop was ahead, but there was none. Then it happened again and again. Why tonight and not any other time in the previous 8 months? Weird.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Nope, no one flashes their lights at me.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

The dealer says the right light was out fractionally from factory specs. The tech said that light seems to be particularly sensitive to being annoying to oncoming drivers since it has a lens that points slightly left of center. We will see if it is an issue moving forward. No big deal I guess. So if any of you have a similar issue, have the right lens looked at for alignment. Have a nice day everyone.
neuronbob (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 07:55 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
It only happens to me when I throw them beads.
The following 3 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (09-08-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (09-08-2015), victorber (11-23-2016)
Old 09-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Good one TampaRLX

It is funny that this thread came up since, just last week, I remarked to my wife about how much better the RLX's headlights are to the headlights in my old RL(I noticed because the days are most definitely getting shorter and shorter around here). I am most impressed with the wide field of illumination of the lights which makes seeing things on the side of the road much easier. My wife also mentioned that when I am driving up the driveway, how much brighter the RLX headlights are in comparison to the RL.

While the Jewel-eye configuration definitely has a "cool factor", they actually are also functionally superior to previous headlight systems.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
The lights are amazing. Probably in the top five of the best lights in any car right now. The width and depth is unparalleled. I thought the first time was someone telling me a cop was ahead, but there was none. Then it happened again and again. Why tonight and not any other time in the previous 8 months? Weird.

I have had my Accord 2.5 years and never had a problem until right before my lease is up. Weird is correct.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
It's happened to me a few times over the past 2 years. I figured it was because the jewel eyes are much brighter and the roads here in North Georgia are also very hilly, so there are times where the attitude of the vehicle in conjunction with the attitude of the oncoming vehicle definitely cause them to blind the oncoming driver.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Maybe you got a lot of cops ahead of you all the time....
Old 09-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by holografique
It's happened to me a few times over the past 2 years. I figured it was because the jewel eyes are much brighter and the roads here in North Georgia are also very hilly, so there are times where the attitude of the vehicle in conjunction with the attitude of the oncoming vehicle definitely cause them to blind the oncoming driver.
Your headlights are probably ok. You are likely correct that the hills contribute to the blinding affect. Now that you mentioned it, I was driving on hills too when people were flashing their lights at me. The strange thing was I have driven those roads at night and never had anyone do that before. I drove it tonight with the minor adjustments the dealer made today and nobody flashed me. (Yes we all know I am talking about headlights on the cars, not someone's nips)

Sounds like our headlights are fairly sensitive to being adjusted correctly as well as hills.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
The 2016 honda accord touring comes with automatic highbeams. Does the rlx advanced have this feature?

"for the first time on Touring trim models, new auto high-beam headlights that enhance nighttime visibility and driving convenience by defaulting to the high-beam setting and automatically switching to low beams when an oncoming vehicle is detected."
Old 09-09-2015, 03:17 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I don't remember lots of people flashing their head lights at me previously but 8 people did that tonight. I pulled over to see if they looked out of alignment, but they looked perfect. So what gives? Are the RLX headlights brighter than BMW or MB LED headlights? I don't think so. Maybe it is the 18 lights including the fogs? Kind of peculiar. What do you all think?
Happens to me every once in a while. Not often.

Motorcycles on full beam or flashing, that annoys me. But I guess that is understandable.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:20 AM
Grandpa

Now that you've made me think of it, I cannot remember the last time it even occurred to me to use high beam. The regulars seem enough.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Yes, happens often.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
It hasn't happened to me yet, which TBH I find surprising considering how bright they are. Perhaps with the season changing and it getting darker earlier in the day, it will be a more common occurrence for some.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

I parked in a garage this morning and I walked to the far end of the lot (about 75 yards) and looked back at the head lights for glare purposes. They are remarkably bright but not glaring. I wanted to keep my corneas in tact so I did not try the experiment with the brights on, but the low beams were great and did not look like they could provide a glare that others would find offensive. Only when I squatted down to get to a lower view did they start to provide the glare. Thus I think as we are in rolling hills, that is likely the trigger to annoy oncoming drivers who would then flash their high beams at us.

This is probably the case with any car now that I think of it.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:32 AM
Grandpa

This is probably the case with any car now that I think of it.
That might very well be the case, and it could very well be that this is why manufacturers are investigating systems of lasers that roam actively to provide illumination *around* an approaching car.

We need to see better and better, and farther and farther ahead, and the active lasers is probably the best thing to be doing in the near future.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:29 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
The bright headlights issue was mentioned in the long term review of the RLX by MotorWeek, a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqe_1E0nfUk
Old 09-10-2015, 10:34 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

The precise angles and range that the LEDs are aimed and focus creates a very specific cut off to the beam. Should you car bounce over a bump, heave in the road or approach oncoming cars from a hill, that cutoff line will likely enter the sight line of the oncoming driver blinding them as would high beams. I even experienced this with the RLs HIDs. The multi beam structure of the Jewel Eyes makes it more apparent and I agree, a much brighter (and potentially blinding) light source.

As George mentioned, there are adaptive / dynamic LED headlights coming to market. Audi's matrix LEDs are just approved for Europe, but alas, not DOT approved for the US.

Audi Matrix LEDs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHBbEcHW8PI

BMW Laser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WvK5WC4ns0

BMW Adaptive LEDs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ordX8_CYwK0

Mercedes Adaptive LEDs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqgcnXtCPPk

What the Jewels Eyes lack is the adaptive capability.
The following 4 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
Malibu Flyer (09-10-2015), pgeorg (09-10-2015), victorber (11-23-2016), wstr75 (09-11-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
The Youtube videos were very interesting. As you know Acura had "adaptive" headlights in the RL which mainly were to adjust the beams direction when the steering wheel was turned to focus light as you turned a corner.

The Audi, BMW and MB options seem to be far more advanced than the RL system. I don't see Acura offering something that advanced since it would appear to me to be very costly. If i remember correctly, our Jewel Eyes cost in the order of $2,500. Think what the cost might be with the addition of the servos, software and hardware necessary to achieve what the German systems do. It seems that Acura didn't pursue the any type of "adaptive" headlights in the RLX, I assume, because it wasn't something their research indicated wasn't perceived as a big benefit.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:15 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
OP be like.. why they flashing their headlights at me???

Old 09-10-2015, 04:41 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I love how the 18 wheeler was like...sorry brah...
Old 09-10-2015, 04:41 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
It seems that Acura didn't pursue the any type of "adaptive" headlights in the RLX, I assume, because it wasn't something their research indicated wasn't perceived as a big benefit.
Or that they would not yet be approved for the US by the DOT.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:46 PM

Just another thing to go wrong...you guys have actuators on the rear wheels to mimic oversteer with the PAWS system, no? Doesn't seem like they'd have a problem with that. Probably inherent issue with the jewel LEDs and being one of the first to market with them mass produced...kinda like bluetooth in my 04 TL...wasn't flawless...but was first!
Old 09-10-2015, 05:00 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
10 September, 2015:

Dear good sir,

In reference to your above quoted subject. I have once previously experienced a similar occurrence, however in a different auto-mobile. I too began receiving what I interpreted as "courtesy flashes" from oncoming drivers without a discernible reason. As you too mentioned, I initially suspected that there may be an officer of the law laying in wait on the high-way road ahead, but never happen upon the fellow! And after numerous instances on separate dates, I began to realize that it was too co-incidental for there to be a deputized law-enforcement employ in the vicinity whenever it occurred. Upon a few more "courtesy flashes" I took a gander at my front-facing outboard lighting, thinking that perhaps one or more devices were failing to illuminate, but found them all to be in proper working condition. I then referenced the specification manual for the appropriate range of illumination dispersion upon a vertical wall and verified the pattern projected from my vehicle. How queer! It appeared bang-on within the allowed specification range. This went on for weeks, near every time I commanded my vehicle down the motorway, I would received those darn (oh, please excuse my language) "courtesy flashes".

Well, let me expound on how I arrived at the explanation, you may choose to guffaw as I did when I realized! One particular Saturday, as I sat in the local confectionery, perusing the weekend news-paper and enjoying a chocolate caramel mocha chino coffee beverage and some delectable break-fast foodstuffs known as "kolaches", it hit me! I knew the answer!

Upon returning to my domicile, I again verified the projected illumination pattern from my forward facing lights upon said vertical wall - within specifications. Perfect. Then, I sat in the drivers seat and observed the passengers side beam pattern rise up, and project higher on the wall... I had found my source! To wit, I had consumed far too many pastries and sugared pies and had accumulated enough mass on my body to alter the projection of the light. Right into the point-of-view of oncoming vehicles!

As the youths would say, "the pie was on my face" that day. And from my rotund shape, I declare that had there been actual pie on my face, I would have eaten it! Huzzah!

So sir, I pose to you; have you eaten too many pies such that your auto-mobiles head-lights have changed their projection location?

Thank you and good day,
P. Earnest Goodman
Old 09-10-2015, 07:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think we have about exhausted the topic on this thread, since the natives have arrived.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:04 PM

Are you having difficulty with deciphering the fact that I'm actually addressing the topic?

You just blindly want kudos or what you deem intellectual posting?
Old 09-10-2015, 08:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Are you having difficulty with deciphering the fact that I'm actually addressing the topic?

You just blindly want kudos or what you deem intellectual posting?
No problems here. Not looking for kudos. I was just asking for clarification. The minor question was discussed and resolved. Nothing else to add on the thread.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:34 PM

LOL...mission accomplished then. Guess it can be locked now!
Old 09-10-2015, 09:12 PM

My honest guess would be the other motorist were warning OP of wayward 90 year old ladies, out-of-control sea creatures being driven by sleepy women drivers, colonies of low-flying bats, a series of jack-knifed big rigs billowing in smoke from blown out engines, and a dark omnipresent lightning storm ahead that has set a huge forest fire off, striking large tree branches down and nearly crushing highway bound traffic.
TacoBello (09-11-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by rockstar143
LOL...mission accomplished then. Guess it can be locked now!
What did I say to you earlier today..
Old 09-10-2015, 09:14 PM

Funny...as I was responding, I thought...he was right.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:24 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
10 September, 2015:

Dear good sir,

Ah, I realized I was remiss to include the two-fold corrective actions I took to resolve my issue.

1) I re-performed the vertical wall calibration of the head-lights and accounted for an equivalent dead-weight mass in the driver's seat. This was the interim action.

and

2) I reduced the frequency of which I was consuming kolaches and do-nuts while simultaneously reducing the quantity of said confections. This, coupled with a moderate increase of general aerobic exercise and regulated diet, enabled me to significantly reduce my body mass. At this juncture, I re-performed the head-light calibration on more time.

Please accept my apologies for not including this information previously; I sincerely regret any confusion that may have arisen from my omission.

Thank you and good day,
P. Earnest Goodman
Old 09-10-2015, 09:29 PM

Earnest goes to headlight adjusting school. My favorite movie.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
10 September, 2015:

Dear good sir,

Ah, I realized I was remiss to include the two-fold corrective actions I took to resolve my issue.

1) I re-performed the vertical wall calibration of the head-lights and accounted for an equivalent dead-weight mass in the driver's seat. This was the interim action.

and

2) I reduced the frequency of which I was consuming kolaches and do-nuts while simultaneously reducing the quantity of said confections. This, coupled with a moderate increase of general aerobic exercise and regulated diet, enabled me to significantly reduce my body mass. At this juncture, I re-performed the head-light calibration on more time.

Please accept my apologies for not including this information previously; I sincerely regret any confusion that may have arisen from my omission.

Thank you and good day,
P. Earnest Goodman
Could somebody please take a moment to clue me in on the joke, here?

I keep waiting for this guy to get tired of typing like this, but it's evidently not going to happen.

Before I add him to the invisible wastes of time, could somebody please take a moment to tell me what this admittedly stupid old man over here is missing?

Is it some cultural phenomenon that I've missed? A famous movie reference I'm missing?

Some late night Adult Swim kind of thing that I've just never seen, or what?

Old 09-11-2015, 02:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Honestly, just look in the mirror.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:21 PM

George, a sixty year old that knows adult swim gets a from me.

I suspect a copy and paste, but take no offense. It's meant in good humor.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:43 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
For what's it worth, only Audi's with their LEDs flash me.

Quick Reply: Have you had many people flash their headlights at you?